PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Cassel

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Been hearing alot of rumors as of late, and even a couple 3 way trades involving our QB, Brady Quinn (weis connection) and the Broncos and it got me thinkin..I know this is a touchy subject with some, but I have to share my opinion...

I like Cassel, but I dont see him as our QBOTF. Last year towards the end of the season, everyone picked up their game on the offense. We were playing some pretty decent games. We got Bowe back and our WRs stepped up big time, the o-line stepped up big time with Wade Smith, BA and O'Cally looking very impressive and JC really stepped his game up and cut out most of his fumbles...Cassel is the only one we didnt see improve even with and improved line and better running game. I know some will still lay all blame on the "atrocious o-line" and our WRs, but you cant deny that we got better at those positions in the later part of the season. Its in the tape.

Bash me, or criticize me if you will, but I am only telling you what I see and hear. I am one for giving one time to develop, and I understand how that works, but this is his 7th year in the league, and the ceiling cant be too much higher for him at this point in his career. I think it was also one reason we front loaded the hell out of his contract. #1 we have the cap room now to absorb that kind of hit and #2 I think that they thought after a year or so that they would have their own hand picked coaching staff in there, which we do now. And everyone knows, the coaches are going to want their guy. With the state of the NFL cap this year, and how much we are under the cap I dont think its out of the question that Cassel could be traded. Plus Brodie is a FA and Haley really likes Brodie too...Personally I would like to keep Cassel for one more year unless we get offered something fantastic for him, but I dont think the idea id as farfetched as some might think....opinions?

AussieChiefsFan
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree the O-line and WR's got better as the season went on and with the new coaching staff they'll be able to take advantage of that.

pbatrucker
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Everyone on here has an opinion. But the on on Cassel been hashed and rehashed.
I'm sorry if it disappoints anyone, but Cassell is our QB for at least one more year.
www.kcchiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com) Wednesdays Red Zone with Soren Petro has a comparison of Cassel and Drew Bres after their first 2 years. You should listen.

matthewschiefs
02-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I am VERY high on Cassel. I think that he can and will turn out to be a very good QB. That being said hes not at the point at this moment that you reject any thoughts of someone eles. He can get to that point but hes not there yet.

As for last season. If you take out half of the Droped passes then his numbers will already be Much better. He did his job alot of the time and the recivers let the team down. Cassle might not have earned his contract last season but he also was not as bad as his numbers said.

I look forward to seeing what cassle can do this next season. If he does not step up his game they should defently look to move on. But I like what i have seen from Cassle.

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry, couldnt find the vid you were talking about, if you could post a direct link, I would love to hear it...

But, you make it sound as if you have heard my opinion before...
Cassel was a backup for his first 5 years in the league. Brees had one season on the bench before he started....what fair comparison can be made?

Not that being on the bench for 5 years is my issue, its the fact he is still making mistakes he shouldnt be making after being a pro for 7 years is. He looks confused in the pocket, his mechanics are still sloppy, his decisison making is as questionable as his accuracy at times...his footwork is the only thing that has saved him. After 7 years in the league Brees was not making those mistakes

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I dont want to be "that guy" because I do like Cassel, but as a fan I am concerned about the future of the QB position...Im sure that Weis and Haley will get more out of Cassel next season if he is around. I just hope its enough to warrant us keeping him around for awhile so we can build the rest of the team...But I still wouldnt count anything out...

brish
02-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't think the recievers picked up their game a whole lot at the end of the season..
It was pretty much all JC in my opinion.

Cassel struggled alot last year, but that offense had ZERO continuity, except when JC ran the ball, and alot of it was all him!

There were good plays here and there, but generally there was very little cohesion and drive.

I can't really judge Cassel until I have seen him in an environment where has a chance to flourish.
Atleast he has an OC now, and a full offseason to learn the playbook..
Looking forward to the next season. :)

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 04:51 PM
By week 10 we had O Cally and Smith plugged in the line and we were playing much better for the last 7 weeks. If we didnt have continuity by the end of the season, that argument should be saved for the okung debate....Our line played very well together once they were in there...not taking away anything from JC because he is awesome, but he did become our starter at the right time. love the optimism

Canada
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Sorry, couldnt find the vid you were talking about, if you could post a direct link, I would love to hear it...

But, you make it sound as if you have heard my opinion before...
Cassel was a backup for his first 5 years in the league. Brees had one season on the bench before he started....what fair comparison can be made?

Not that being on the bench for 5 years is my issue, its the fact he is still making mistakes he shouldnt be making after being a pro for 7 years is. He looks confused in the pocket, his mechanics are still sloppy, his decisison making is as questionable as his accuracy at times...his footwork is the only thing that has saved him. After 7 years in the league Brees was not making those mistakes

Next season is going to be Cassels 6th. He has not been in the league for 7 years.
Matt Cassel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cassel)

KottkeKU
02-19-2010, 05:54 PM
yes Canada. And he has only played/started in 2 of them. Cassel in 2010 will be atleast 100% better. You can quote me on that. I dont think it is fair to judge a QB with new players, bad receivers, a new sytem after the firing of chan gailey (so basically a new system from the 3rd preseason game on), and questionable protection. All the while still not having much game experience. If you actually give the guy a chance i think he will do pretty well. Yes, he made a few bad throws in each game, but what do you expect? Peyton Manning?

The whole money thing is nonsense anyways because he was coming out of his contract year, after he just won 9 or some odd games and filling in for tom brady. starting qbs who sign long term deals are going to get lots of money. its that simple....

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I dont get what your getting at with the $$ comment. I understand market value for franchise QBs.....Im just saying were paying him all this $$$ (guaranteed) in the first 2 years for more than one reason I think...and again...we keep blaming everyone around him for mistakes only he can make. I am well aware of the dropped passes, and the o-line play in the beginning, but regardless of what playbook, and what WRs you have you still need to make good decisions. You cant blame Haley or Bowe for his decision making. My question is after 6 years as a pro, shouldnt your accuracy and decision making be a little better? Lets not even get started on his deep pass...

yes Canada. And he has only played/started in 2 of them. Cassel in 2010 will be atleast 100% better. You can quote me on that. I dont think it is fair to judge a QB with new players, bad receivers, a new sytem after the firing of chan gailey (so basically a new system from the 3rd preseason game on), and questionable protection. All the while still not having much game experience. If you actually give the guy a chance i think he will do pretty well. Yes, he made a few bad throws in each game, but what do you expect? Peyton Manning?

The whole money thing is nonsense anyways because he was coming out of his contract year, after he just won 9 or some odd games and filling in for tom brady. starting qbs who sign long term deals are going to get lots of money. its that simple....

pbatrucker
02-19-2010, 07:22 PM
One more note and Chambers pointed this out last season. Some of those interseptions were caused by the WR's running the wrong routes.
You can't say he should play better because he has beeen in the league for five years. Truth is he had very few snaps in practice and even less in game situations before Brady was hurt. We have an inexperianced QB with a lot of upside. IMO he will be greatly improved this year.

Connie Jo
02-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Been hearing alot of rumors as of late, and even a couple 3 way trades involving our QB, Brady Quinn (weis connection) and the Broncos and it got me thinkin..I know this is a touchy subject with some, but I have to share my opinion...

I like Cassel, but I dont see him as our QBOTF. Last year towards the end of the season, everyone picked up their game on the offense. We were playing some pretty decent games. We got Bowe back and our WRs stepped up big time, the o-line stepped up big time with Wade Smith, BA and O'Cally looking very impressive and JC really stepped his game up and cut out most of his fumbles...Cassel is the only one we didnt see improve even with and improved line and better running game. I know some will still lay all blame on the "atrocious o-line" and our WRs, but you cant deny that we got better at those positions in the later part of the season. Its in the tape.

Bash me, or criticize me if you will, but I am only telling you what I see and hear. I am one for giving one time to develop, and I understand how that works, but this is his 7th year in the league, and the ceiling cant be too much higher for him at this point in his career. I think it was also one reason we front loaded the hell out of his contract. #1 we have the cap room now to absorb that kind of hit and #2 I think that they thought after a year or so that they would have their own hand picked coaching staff in there, which we do now. And everyone knows, the coaches are going to want their guy. With the state of the NFL cap this year, and how much we are under the cap I dont think its out of the question that Cassel could be traded. Plus Brodie is a FA and Haley really likes Brodie too...Personally I would like to keep Cassel for one more year unless we get offered something fantastic for him, but I dont think the idea id as farfetched as some might think....opinions?

I'm curious, did you read the article here: Cassel's Work Ethic, Already Getting Busy (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12708)

I think it explains much related to last season with the difficulties Cassel faced. I don't fully comprehend why it matters that Cassel has been in the NFL 7, or 6 seasons as Canada posted...when he's not played or started all those season's?

If a QB has only played/started 2 seasons, then that's the realistic experience they have with all factor's of a regular season game occurring...no? Pre-season, practice and sideline observing will gain some knowledge, be of very limited game experience...but no where close to the real deal IMO.

chief31
02-19-2010, 07:53 PM
You seem to be equivalating three years of bench-riding to three (Five, by your count) years of starting at QB.

Is that really what you mean here?

As for the concept that everyone else 'stepped it up' while Cassel didn't...

I suppose one could see it that way. He certainly did not play stellar once the offense started to open up a bit.

But, in all fairness to Cassel, he spent most of the season preparing to be hit very quickly. And probably was unable to get rid of the jitters of being on the run for most of the year.

He also was looking at the same defensive gameplan through the first half,plu, of the season. Teams knew to stuff the middle, and just go after the QB from the outside.

Charles and the the emergence of outside rushing changed what opponents were doing on defense. And that changed what Cassel was going to see from the defense.

Personally, I would lean toward giving a guy more than a handful of games with a functional offense before being too judgemental.

I do think that calling a second year starter a seven year vet may be part of what is forming your opinion here.

You are aware that he has been in the league for five years, not seven, right?

I'm not trying to bash your opinion. I am not particularly sold on him as our QBOTF yet either.

But I really don't see the 2009 season as being enough to form much of an opinion, either way.

matthewschiefs
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I dont get what your getting at with the $$ comment. I understand market value for franchise QBs.....Im just saying were paying him all this $$$ (guaranteed) in the first 2 years for more than one reason I think...and again...we keep blaming everyone around him for mistakes only he can make. I am well aware of the dropped passes, and the o-line play in the beginning, but regardless of what playbook, and what WRs you have you still need to make good decisions. You cant blame Haley or Bowe for his decision making. My question is after 6 years as a pro, shouldnt your accuracy and decision making be a little better? Lets not even get started on his deep pass...

I am not saying that Cassle did not make mistakes this past season. He made a lot of them. Like any QB playing in his 2nd full season would on a brand new team.

BUT the recivers dropping passes made his numbers look worse then they did. And a couple of INTs were balls that realy should have been caught by chiefs recivers. Cassle played pretty well in his first year on what was a BAD football team. I think he will be around for a long time and thats a good thing.

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
In an earlier post I specifically stated that im am not on him for riding the bench...I only brought that up because someone was trying to make comparisons between Brees and Cassel after their first 2 years starting, which is like comparing apples to oranges. But the fact remains he has been a pro QB for 6 seasons (not 7 thank you canada) and his decision making is as bad as his accuracy sometimes, when the receivers dont drop them or run off route. After 5 years of coaching at the highest level I would expect a little more. I guess im questioning his intangibles...something that has nothing to do with WRs, and the o-line.

I'm curious, did you read the article here: Cassel's Work Ethic, Already Getting Busy (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12708)

I think it explains much related to last season with the difficulties Cassel faced. I don't fully comprehend why it matters that Cassel has been in the NFL 7, or 6 seasons as Canada posted...when he's not played or started all those season's?

If a QB has only played/started 2 seasons, then that's the realistic experience they have with all factor's of a regular season game occurring...no? Pre-season, practice and sideline observing will gain some knowledge, be of very limited game experience...but no where close to the real deal IMO.

MDChiefs!
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I dont think you need a handful of games to judge a QBs cadance in the pocket, his accuracy or his decision making. I understand he had to get rid of the ball quickly sometimes because the pocket would collapse early, but thats no excuse for the poor decision making he made under pressure. And a starting QB in the NFL shouldnt be having issues with jitters...hes not a rookie.

You seem to be equivalating three years of bench-riding to three (Five, by your count) years of starting at QB.

Is that really what you mean here?

As for the concept that everyone else 'stepped it up' while Cassel didn't...

I suppose one could see it that way. He certainly did not play stellar once the offense started to open up a bit.

But, in all fairness to Cassel, he spent most of the season preparing to be hit very quickly. And probably was unable to get rid of the jitters of being on the run for most of the year.

He also was looking at the same defensive gameplan through the first half,plu, of the season. Teams knew to stuff the middle, and just go after the QB from the outside.

Charles and the the emergence of outside rushing changed what opponents were doing on defense. And that changed what Cassel was going to see from the defense.

Personally, I would lean toward giving a guy more than a handful of games with a functional offense before being too judgemental.

I do think that calling a second year starter a seven year vet may be part of what is forming your opinion here.

You are aware that he has been in the league for five years, not seven, right?

I'm not trying to bash your opinion. I am not particularly sold on him as our QBOTF yet either.

But I really don't see the 2009 season as being enough to form much of an opinion, either way.

tornadospotter
02-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I have already been on record here, as not very happy with Cassel. I hope to become a huge Cassel fan. The things I am concerned about with Cassel, he throws a low hard to catch pass, he needs to fix that.

Connie Jo
02-19-2010, 09:24 PM
In an earlier post I specifically stated that im am not on him for riding the bench...I only brought that up because someone was trying to make comparisons between Brees and Cassel after their first 2 years starting, which is like comparing apples to oranges. But the fact remains he has been a pro QB for 6 seasons (not 7 thank you canada) and his decision making is as bad as his accuracy sometimes, when the receivers dont drop them or run off route. After 5 years of coaching at the highest level I would expect a little more. I guess im questioning his intangibles...something that has nothing to do with WRs, and the o-line.

Yeah, I read your clairfication after relpying, sorry. :) Sometimes I don't catch everything the first time I read a thread, and sometimes reply to a single post before reading further, while a thought is there.

I don't think it's of great significance how long Cassel has been in the NFL, rather see the significance with judging his ability, accuracy, decision making... as being based upon actual regular season game's played. From my perspective that is two yrs, which IMO isn't long enough to judge fairly.

Consider all the unusual circumstance's he faced last season, I feel at least one more season is needed, maybe two, before we'll know one way or another what Cassel is capable of, or not.

chief31
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I dont think you need a handful of games to judge a QBs cadance in the pocket, his accuracy or his decision making. I understand he had to get rid of the ball quickly sometimes because the pocket would collapse early, but thats no excuse for the poor decision making he made under pressure. And a starting QB in the NFL shouldnt be having issues with jitters...hes not a rookie.

If you say so. But Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would develope "the jitters" if they spent a year getting pressured as heavily as Cassel was early this season.

And this, being his first season with this team and it's terrible protection, could be viewed as equivalent to a rookie season.

The only other season that he got any real playingtime was with the Patriots' top-notch pass protection.

I expect that any mortal human being would get "jitterey" with their first season of being hounded by that kind of pressure.

I think that holding a QB to the unattainable expectaion of not being a human being may be a bit much. At least this early in their career.

Vandelay
02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I know this is not a popular opinion around here, but I still think taking everything into consideration he did a good job. Even in the second half of the year, he still never had any time in the pocket, and the few times he had the chance to look downfield, Cassel made the most of it. And one of the most important things was his additude, he actually seems to give a $h!t, something that D Bowe could learn a lesson from.

All we can do is wait and see, so far the only people here that I know are sold on him are myself, Coach, and Canada:sFl_canada2:
Thats ok, we can make room on the Cassel train next season. :D

Ryfo18
02-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Cassel was not good last year, there is no denying that. That said, the circumstances that he walked into certainly weren't favorable. I'm encouraged that he's continuing to work and study the offense into the offseason. I'm expecting big things next year though, the excuses can only last so long.

Chiefster
02-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Cassel is going nowhere.

chief31
02-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Cassel was not good last year, there is no denying that. That said, the circumstances that he walked into certainly weren't favorable. I'm encouraged that he's continuing to work and study the offense into the offseason. I'm expecting big things next year though, the excuses can only last so long.

Agreed.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 03:20 AM
so you guys do think that Haley and Weis believe Cassel is our QBOTF...?

pbatrucker
02-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Wies hasn't been on board long enough to know what he thinks. Pioli and Haley think enough of Cassel to put their reputation on the line with him being the QB to build Their team around.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I respectfully disagree...Cassel is Pioli's boys, not Haleys. Haley wanted to play Croyle.

Canada
02-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I respectfully disagree...Cassel is Pioli's boys, not Haleys. Haley wanted to play Croyle.

I think Haley wanted to play Croyle to evaluate the talent we had on the field. I don't think that means he was "his guy"

matthewschiefs
02-20-2010, 10:38 AM

I think that they belive in him. Otherwise he would not have been the starter at the end of the season. I no they gave him alot of money but I think if they saw signs that he was not going to get the job done then they would have made a change.

KCINNYC
02-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Cassel is our QB for at least two more years. Pioli. Loves. Him. That should end the debate. Why contemplate something that is not going to happen?

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 12:50 PM
At the end of the preseason after Cassel was injured, Haley was very vocal about how pleased he was with Croyle and how comfortable he was going into the year starting him as our QB. He wanted to start him after he played impressively at Baltimore, but Pioli is the one that insisted that Cassel be the starter. Piloi does love him, but he is not a coach. He knows he needs to let the coaches coach if he wants a winning franchise. As soon as our coaches are in a position to do what they want to do at QB, Cassel is gone. Bottom line is the coaches are going to end up wanting their own guy sooner rather than later.

Canada
02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
At the end of the preseason after Cassel was injured, Haley was very vocal about how pleased he was with Croyle and how comfortable he was going into the year starting him as our QB. He wanted to start him after he played impressively at Baltimore, but Pioli is the one that insisted that Cassel be the starter. Piloi does love him, but he is not a coach. He knows he needs to let the coaches coach if he wants a winning franchise. As soon as our coaches are in a position to do what they want to do at QB, Cassel is gone. Bottom line is the coaches are going to end up wanting their own guy sooner rather than later.

Just because Haley instilled some confidence in him does not make him Haleys guy. What would you expect haley to say about him? "Croyle is not that good but we are crossing our fingers" ?? I just dont see where you are getting that the coaching staff does not want Cassel.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Piloi would not make a change even if he knew it was the right thing to do. How would that make him look as a first year GM if he sat his "all star" big $$ QB for Brodie or someone else? Im sure he knew better than that. He knew he would have lost alot of the support if he did that

I think that they belive in him. Otherwise he would not have been the starter at the end of the season. I no they gave him alot of money but I think if they saw signs that he was not going to get the job done then they would have made a change.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Haley likes Brodie as a QB better. Its that simple. One of the big reasons Pioli and Haley got off to a rocky start, because they did not see eye to eye on the QB situation. Bank on it that he will be re signed if we dont do something about bringing someone else in here. Cassel is only here until Weis and Haley find their guy whoever it is. Personally I dont know how Weis feels about him, but I do know one thing....coaches always want their own guy. Cassel was picked by our GM because he thought he felt comfortable with him, and we got him and Vrabel at such a cheap price.

Just because Haley instilled some confidence in him does not make him Haleys guy. What would you expect haley to say about him? "Croyle is not that good but we are crossing our fingers" ?? I just dont see where you are getting that the coaching staff does not want Cassel.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 01:05 PM
His contract was structured the way it was because they knew that after 2 seasons we would have our new coaches in here and they could do what they wanted. After this year we can trade Cassel with practically no cap hit because all of his guaranteed $$$ will have already been paid to him. We basically signed him to a 3 year deal...smart move by Pioli

jap1
02-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Haley likes Brodie as a QB better. Its that simple. One of the big reasons Pioli and Haley got off to a rocky start, because they did not see eye to eye on the QB situation. Bank on it that he will be re signed if we dont do something about bringing someone else in here. Cassel is only here until Weis and Haley find their guy whoever it is. Personally I dont know how Weis feels about him, but I do know one thing....coaches always want their own guy. Cassel was picked by our GM because he thought he felt comfortable with him, and we got him and Vrabel at such a cheap price.

I still dont see how you think the coaching staff doesnt like Cassel. You have only pointed out potential situations with no actual evidence. The only evidence you have shown was that Haley supported Croyle when Cassel was injured.

Also, I think (or at least hope) Pioli wouldnt force Haley to start someone just because he gave that player a big contract. I would think the coach would have more autonomy and wouldnt care about finances. If Haley was truly unimpressed with Cassel, I think he would have started Croyle.

Vandelay
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I think you are confusing the coaching staff not likeing Cassel, with you not likeing him.
You would rather start the guy who has yet to win a game?

matthewschiefs
02-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Piloi would not make a change even if he knew it was the right thing to do. How would that make him look as a first year GM if he sat his "all star" big $$ QB for Brodie or someone else? Im sure he knew better than that. He knew he would have lost alot of the support if he did that

Pioli to me does not seem to be a guy who is worried on what the media thinks what a move looks like. If its the best thing to do for the team he will do it. As the same for haley. Look what Haley did right before the season fired Chan.

You dont get 3 rings by thinking what will the public think about this move. If its what you think is best for the team you do it. Its that simple. Cassle is the QB of this team now and will be throught the season. Just get use to it. I think thats a good thing.

jacko58
02-20-2010, 05:24 PM
everyones got vary valid points but its either you like cassel or hate cassel sorry but a qb like manning and brady are one in a million no one gets exactly what they want when there rebuilding cassel might not be a hall of famer but he gave us some stability at the qb position which any team rebuilding needs. i still believe in cassel and well see what happens but if it dosent work out pioli and haley did a great job at sayin hes our qb for now never said cassels our guy for life haley has said he can see cassel taking them to the super bowl but its not like were just a qb away from competing we have ALOT more to worry about then just if cassels legit

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I dont hate Cassel, I just dont think he is our QBOTF. I am not confused, I do this for a living. I am not letting my feeling about Cassel cloud my opinion on this. And yes, I think Pioli would have started Cassel regardless, because of his contract, and because you dont pay a QB that much money unless you know for sure he is your guy. If you turn around and sit him, that makes him look like an idiot. As the highest paid GM in the league and the guy that is supposed to turn the Chiefs back into superbowl winners should be worried about how he is perceived by the public. If he loses favor with the public media, the fans will be next. You always worry about what public think, theyre the ones that but the tickets.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 06:11 PM
holy unpopular opinion batman...

AussieChiefsFan
02-20-2010, 06:13 PM
holy unpopular opinion batman...

:sign0153:

matthewschiefs
02-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I dont hate Cassel, I just dont think he is our QBOTF. I am not confused, I do this for a living. I am not letting my feeling about Cassel cloud my opinion on this. And yes, I think Pioli would have started Cassel regardless, because of his contract, and because you dont pay a QB that much money unless you know for sure he is your guy. If you turn around and sit him, that makes him look like an idiot. As the highest paid GM in the league and the guy that is supposed to turn the Chiefs back into superbowl winners should be worried about how he is perceived by the public. If he loses favor with the public media, the fans will be next. You always worry about what public think, theyre the ones that but the tickets.

I can't say that I am sure that he is the QBOTF But I don't no that he isn't so I will just hope he is.

MDChiefs!
02-20-2010, 06:17 PM
haha my opinion on Cassel is not too popular. thats all

:sign0153:

AussieChiefsFan
02-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't say that I am sure that he is the QBOTF But I don't no that he isn't so I will just hope he is.

Did you guys see the first 2 passes of that last Denver game! AMAZING!!! That kinda convinced me he's our QB for a while

AussieChiefsFan
02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
haha my opinion on Cassel is not too popular. thats all

okay

whatwasthat?
02-20-2010, 08:12 PM
matt ryan had a terrible season with fantastic offensive weapons around him and a better defense...do you think atlanta is re-thinking their QB situation? i dont

AussieChiefsFan
02-20-2010, 11:37 PM
matt ryan had a terrible season with fantastic offensive weapons around him and a better defense...do you think atlanta is re-thinking their QB situation? i dont

NO, Matt Ryan is definitely their long-time QB I think. He may not be perfect but he's good enough with all the other weapons they have on offense like Roddy White and Tony G.

whatwasthat?
02-21-2010, 12:36 AM
NO, Matt Ryan is definitely their long-time QB I think. He may not be perfect but he's good enough with all the other weapons they have on offense like Roddy White and Tony G.

precisely
might as well look at cassel as a 2nd year QB since he has only started 2 seasons...with limited offensive weapons in kansas city

KottkeKU
02-21-2010, 01:07 AM
All i know is, if you are judging Cassel already, just from this year alone... you are either retarded or just plain dumb. there is going to be a lot of crow being served fairly soon. And what in the world is a QBOTF anyways? How do you define a qb of the future? Cassel IS our QBOTF, whether you like it or not. That was Pioli's first big move, and building block of rebuilding the team. Cassel is getting paid the majority of his cash in the beginning of his contract, thats how they all are.

He just needs to grow into the team a little, and have the guys around him block and catch. Why is that so hard to understand? Sometimes i feel like there are more idiots than normal people in this world...

Decision making? That is something that is easily fixable after one season with a crummy offense. The deep ball? worked well with Randy Moss (look at the youtube vids). its called TIMING. Something that is hard to get when you have different receivers out there every week...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/19/1317932/patriots-fan-here-lets-talk-matt

go to that link, it takes you to a page that has some Patriots fan talking about Matt Cassel, and how he cant believe Chiefs fans have given up on him (i cant believe it either... you call yourselves Chiefs fans?!?) It also has links that have Brady and Rich Gannon saying they also think Weis and Cassel will equal a breakout year...

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 01:51 AM
How old are you Kotte? please... Dont insult someone's intelligence if you dont know them. These boards are for sharing opinions, and thats all i've done. I bashed nobody. Do you insult everyone that has a different opinion than you? Because I look at things from all angles and outside the box its ok to insult me? Grow up...and you call yourself a Chiefs fan?

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 02:14 AM
They Weren't Smoking: Matt Cassel's Chiefs Extension Makes Perfect Sense | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/218699-the-matt-cassel-extension-smart-money)

from the article...

It appeared that the door was left open, leaving some wiggle room in case they were second-guessing their commitment to Cassel. How do you get a team to buy into your rebuilding of a franchise when the team itself has not bought in?

Thats what I think. Thats one of the reasons we are paying him 40mil in his first 3 seasons. I was just saying coaches always want their own guy and thats a fact. Nothings impossible. I can post a million articles with opinions that are totally different that what you posted if thats what you want, but its pointless. They are just opinions.

jacko58
02-21-2010, 02:42 AM

:postwhore5fw: i think you are confused with people who are argueing with you. and you do this for a living, whipty doo basle..... so does ****lock so it sounds like your trying to argue with everyone whos just trying to put in there opinions if you don't wanna listen to others dont post a new feed sir. and lets go off the first year a qb does with there team, ok how bout paytons first year, or even though i hate him rivers as a back up,,, or jeff garcia start of his career, or kurt warner three times starting over
:mancard:

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Im not arguing. I am the only poster in this thread getting bashed for my opinion...I was only defending it...as I still am it looks like. I dont understand the comment about Manning and Garcia...I said I dont think Cassel has the intangibles to be our QBOTF. That has nothing to do with him being here for only one year. I never said that

:postwhore5fw: i think you are confused with people who are argueing with you. and you do this for a living, whipty doo basle..... so does ****lock so it sounds like your trying to argue with everyone whos just trying to put in there opinions if you don't wanna listen to others dont post a new feed sir. and lets go off the first year a qb does with there team, ok how bout paytons first year, or even though i hate him rivers as a back up,,, or jeff garcia start of his career, or kurt warner three times starting over
:mancard:

jacko58
02-21-2010, 03:01 AM
garcia wasn't a sure qbotf and look at him was my point and your not getting bashed you are taking other peoples comments to heart plus this forums is six pages because of your posts it be three if you weren't replying to everyones opinions i'm not bashing you or anyone elses ideas we all root for the same team and should suppourt anyone on our current roster or past players that were heroes in the red and gold

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 03:10 AM
All i know is, if you are judging Cassel already, just from this year alone... you are either retarded or just plain dumb.
Why is that so hard to understand? Sometimes i feel like there are more idiots than normal people in this world...

go to that link, it takes you to a page that has some Patriots fan talking about Matt Cassel, and how he cant believe Chiefs fans have given up on him (i cant believe it either... you call yourselves Chiefs fans?!?) ..

Read that. I will be damned if someone that doesnt even know me insults me like this. I have my opinion, which I have offered some very valid arguing points, and I get nothing but insults in return. Of course I take that crap to heart. My fanhood was even brought under question because someone didnt agree with me. And yes, I will reply to what people have to say, especially when they do it in that manner. Thats why the board is here. But never once have I insulted anyone, or bashed anyone. go cheifs

garcia wasn't a sure qbotf and look at him was my point and your not getting bashed you are taking other peoples comments to heart plus this forums is six pages because of your posts it be three if you weren't replying to everyones opinions i'm not bashing you or anyone elses ideas we all root for the same team and should suppourt anyone on our current roster or past players that were heroes in the red and gold

Chiefster
02-21-2010, 03:12 AM
I love this thread! :lol:

Chiefster
02-21-2010, 03:21 AM
All board leaders ask here is that members keep their comments respectful. Agree/disagree and defend your point of view respectfully. Is is really such a hard thing to ask?

jacko58
02-21-2010, 04:30 AM
i apologies for anything that seemed out of line. well if someone calls your commment retarded mdchief just ignore it dude were all in this together

KCINNYC
02-21-2010, 11:12 AM

WRONG.

Haley said "I will go into battle any day of the week that guy" talking about Cassel.
HE LOVES CASSEL.

Seriously, do you even read the news, or do you just make up whatever comes to your head?

jacko58
02-21-2010, 02:04 PM
i apologies for anything that seemed out of line. well if someone calls your commment retarded mdchief just ignore it dude were all in this together

but with sayin that i believe in cassel and bowe there gonna light it up this year hopfully chambers will be back

jap1
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Read that. I will be damned if someone that doesnt even know me insults me like this. I have my opinion, which I have offered some very valid arguing points, and I get nothing but insults in return. Of course I take that crap to heart. My fanhood was even brought under question because someone didnt agree with me. And yes, I will reply to what people have to say, especially when they do it in that manner. Thats why the board is here. But never once have I insulted anyone, or bashed anyone. go cheifs

You still havent showed me any proof that the coaching staff doesnt like Cassel. All you have said is that they like Croyle. Unless you have some insider info I dont think anyone is going to agree with you that the staff wants a new QB.

chief31
02-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I do agree that Haley's early-season comments gave the impression that he was higher on Croyle than Cassel. But that was a long time ago.

And I hope you didn't feel attacked by any of my responses. None was intended, for sure.

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 02:44 PM
thats because there is no proof. with as tight lipped as our organization is now, its very rare for anything like that to leak out of arrowhead. We still dont even know why some of our guys were put on IR. Maybe it is insider info. I will try to find what I can on it and post it, but I can assure you, I am not speaking out of my ***.Its not that they didnt like Cassel, just that Haley would have preferred to go with Croyle

You still havent showed me any proof that the coaching staff doesnt like Cassel. All you have said is that they like Croyle. Unless you have some insider info I dont think anyone is going to agree with you that the staff wants a new QB.

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 02:53 PM
brilliant post

WRONG.

Haley said "I will go into battle any day of the week that guy" talking about Cassel.
HE LOVES CASSEL.

Seriously, do you even read the news, or do you just make up whatever comes to your head?

complexrealmz
02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Even though Cassel was dissapointing in my opinion, I wan't to see him next year with the calling of Weis and hopefully some upgrades. I do agree that the o-line improved significantly by the end of the year but Cassel remained inconsistent. My biggest problems with him were holding the ball too long and poor throws to wide open recievers. He also made a few amazing throws into tight coverage so he has shown he is capable of being accurate. The dropped passes are a big factor. He seems motivated and I like his fire when he plays. He tooks some big shots too, lets not forget we had a qb who couldnt stay on the field an entire game in the past. Im always up for upgrading, especially at qb but any realistic replacement we could get would have just as many if not more question marks.

Coach
02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
No personal attacks on members will be allowed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless of how incorrect it may be.:D

On topic: Let's see here. Cassell was on a new team, with a new coach, and had to learn a new playbook 7 days before the season began. Cassell stood behind one of the worst offensive lines in football, threw the ball to WR's who the Chiefs plucked off the street because nobody else wanted him. I guess I should be disappointed that he didn't make the Pro-Bowl.

This guy battled through a very difficult year and did not *****/complain once. He wasn't throwing teammates under the bus when they stunk. I couldn't be more happy about having Cassell on this team. I think next year will be a breakout year for both Cassell and the entire Chiefs organization. I think with a little luck during this offseason, the Chiefs have a legitimate shot at contenting for an AFC West title next year. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Everything is starting to fall in place for the Chiefs.

:chiefs:

KottkeKU
02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Brilliant post Coach. Lots of whiners on here, nobody "personally" called out anyone i dont see what all the fusss is about. you either think Matt Cassel deserves a chance, or you expect him to have results just based on numbers and stats.

Im with Coach..

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
All i know is, if you are judging Cassel already, just from this year alone... you are either retarded or just plain dumb.

Why is that so hard to understand? Sometimes i feel like there are more idiots than normal people in this world...

go to that link, it takes you to a page that has some Patriots fan talking about Matt Cassel, and how he cant believe Chiefs fans have given up on him (i cant believe it either... you call yourselves Chiefs fans?!?)

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I think you called me an idiot because of my opinion.

Brilliant post Coach. Lots of whiners on here, nobody "personally" called out anyone i dont see what all the fusss is about. you either think Matt Cassel deserves a chance, or you expect him to have results just based on numbers and stats.

Im with Coach..

MDChiefs!
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
They Weren't Smoking: Matt Cassel's Chiefs Extension Makes Perfect Sense | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/218699-the-matt-cassel-extension-smart-money)

from the article...

It appeared that the door was left open, leaving some wiggle room in case they were second-guessing their commitment to Cassel. How do you get a team to buy into your rebuilding of a franchise when the team itself has not bought in?

Thats what I think. Thats one of the reasons we are paying him 40mil in his first 3 seasons. I was just saying coaches always want their own guy and thats a fact. Nothings impossible. I can post a million articles with opinions that are totally different that what you posted if thats what you want, but its pointless. They are just opinions.

I guess someone who defends their opinion is a whiner now?

Im with Coach..

whatwasthat?
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
No personal attacks on members will be allowed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless of how incorrect it may be.:D

On topic: Let's see here. Cassell was on a new team, with a new coach, and had to learn a new playbook 7 days before the season began. Cassell stood behind one of the worst offensive lines in football, threw the ball to WR's who the Chiefs plucked off the street because nobody else wanted him. I guess I should be disappointed that he didn't make the Pro-Bowl.

This guy battled through a very difficult year and did not *****/complain once. He wasn't throwing teammates under the bus when they stunk. I couldn't be more happy about having Cassell on this team. I think next year will be a breakout year for both Cassell and the entire Chiefs organization. I think with a little luck during this offseason, the Chiefs have a legitimate shot at contenting for an AFC West title next year. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Everything is starting to fall in place for the Chiefs.

what he said

Chief Tyler
02-21-2010, 11:57 PM

He did let out a few profanities when the fans were booing him, and the camera caught that. I don't think it's very classy to boo your team, but Cassel let that get the best of him which didn't make me very happy. Even though it was too himself he has to always realize that there isn't much that can be kept personal when you're under a national spotlight. Other than that it seemed like he kept a decent attitude.

whatwasthat?
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
ive cussed in every sport ive played
it doesnt mean you have a bad attitude

cassel is very passionate
you can tell how he overcelebrates sometimes (haha it makes me laugh)

but he means well
it shows that he takes the chiefs successes or failures to heart and thats one thing that this team needs...emotional leaders

Chief Tyler
02-22-2010, 02:22 AM

but he means well
it shows that he takes the chiefs successes or failures to heart and thats one thing that this team needs...emotional leaders

Eh, I think the greatest saints among us have had a few lapses when involved in competitive sports but when we do it, we're usually the only ones who know it, Cassel on the other hand was unhappy with the people writing his paychecks and he showed it, which makes me mad. Again, I don't like it when fans boo their team, but he should have gone out and given the fans a reason to be quiet rather than telling them to stfu.

Connie Jo
02-22-2010, 03:44 AM

While the thought is fresh in my mind, haha...I often reply to each individual post directed at me. For me it's a natural habit of respectful politeness. I also reply often to a post right away after reading, such as now...while the thought of reply is fresh in my mind...rather than after reading a thread entirely, or using the multi quote. This is the only board I've participated at with a multi quote feature, & I often forget about it too, lol.

I think age is attacking my memory, along with everything else, hahaha. :D

Connie Jo
02-22-2010, 05:25 AM
I know this is not a popular opinion around here, but I still think taking everything into consideration he did a good job. Even in the second half of the year, he still never had any time in the pocket, and the few times he had the chance to look downfield, Cassel made the most of it. And one of the most important things was his additude, he actually seems to give a !t, something that D Bowe could learn a lesson from.

All we can do is wait and see, so far the only people here that I know are sold on him are myself, Coach, and Canada:sFl_canada2:
Thats ok, we can make room on the Cassel train next season. :D

ME! ME! ME! TOO! Prior to my being familiar with his game, I hoped we would start Thigpen in 2009, based upon his doing well in 2008. Once Thigpen was let go, I began opening my mind, paid close attention to Cassel's game. With each game I watched, regardless of any error on his part, I saw far more pro's than con's in his potential ability...especially considering all negative factor's I knew he was up against. I'm on Cassel's band wagon now 100%! :D

I agree a GM should always worry about the fan public opinion, but I don't believe they always do, especially when feeling they're invincible, job's secure...IE: Carl Peterson, haha. That said, under the current circumstances with the Chiefs losing more fan support with each losing season...I most definitely believe & agree Pioli is worrying about the fan public opinion.

Carl Hunt felt the ground shaking under Arrowhead, and it wasn't from a 12th man noise factor any longer, rather pissed off fans grumbling and crumbling profits. Clark's an intelligent businessman, and he brought in the biggest ground stabilizer available to specifically focus on re-gaining fan support. There is only one way to do that, Clark & Pioli both know it...build a Chiefs team of Super Bowl caliber. Every decision Pioli makes is related to re-claiming fan support through winning games.

All factor's considered...we have more reason to believe than we've had in over a decade, that our Chiefs are FINALLY Super Bowl bound.
:yahoo:

okay

Aussie, are you familiar with who the American fictional Super Hero Batman is? You might not be, considering the TV series was popular in the 1960's. There were comic books of which the TV series was a spin of off. In the 1980's Batman returned in a movie, of which had several sequels to follow.

Batman's sidekick is named Robin (Boy Wonder). Robin became famous for using the word 'holy' at the beginning of a comment and 'Batman' at the end, when he put emphasis on a point to be made. Many American's imitate Robin's use of the word's 'holy' & 'Batman' with making a point of emphasis, such as MD did, haha.

I do it too, such as will say, "Holy no use of turn signal Batman!"...when someone doesn't use their signal in traffic, and so on, hahaha. There was also a Batgirl Super Hero, so if it's a girl I'm directing my point of emphasis towards, will use Batgirl at the end, haha.

Also, most everything related to Batman in the show was called 'bat' this or that. Such as his phone was the 'batphone', his car the 'batmobile'...American's copy that too at times, some calling their cars the 'batmobile' in jest, lol.

I love this thread! :lol:

Me too! It also kept me entertained through this early morning, while a sick dog kept me awake! I think Sunny has cabin fever more than anything serious, hopefully. :)

^^^ DITTO!!

Eh, I think the greatest saints among us have had a few lapses when involved in competitive sports but when we do it, we're usually the only ones who know it, Cassel on the other hand was unhappy with the people writing his paychecks and he showed it, which makes me mad. Again, I don't like it when fans boo their team, but he should have gone out and given the fans a reason to be quiet rather than telling them to stfu.

We have to remember at times like those relating to Cassel, or any one for that matter...regardless of their being a professional, they will always be human first. He let the booing roll off his back many times prior to being caught on camera that day...he was due, rightfully so as human who had taken it enough times prior with grace. :)

matthewschiefs
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM

but he means well

I like to see passion in the players. When they play with passion that means they care. When you care you play better.

He does have to learn to controll it better. I work in retell. I no I cant curse at customers (even though at times I REALY REALY WANT TO) the fans are customers hes got to learn to control himself better. Hopefuly he will in time.

dad005
02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
The way the Chiefs are run now, there is little to NO inside information coming out. Unless you are working in Arrowhead, I don't think any of us are going to find any legitimate evidence that the staff doesn't believe in Cassel.

I think the fact that we are paying him all this money and the fact that he has been the unquestioned starter all of last year (after recovering from injury) should be reason enough that Haley and the staff believe that Cassell is our man.

MDChiefs has his opinion, and he can't back it up with evidence. That's the bottom line, unless you work for the Chiefs, MD, you can't be certain that Haley prefers Croyle and that's fine. That's your opinion.

My opinion is that the staff is all for Cassel. If that's the case, they should do him a huge favor by surrounding him with some playmakers because its painfully clear that he (and Charles) cannot do it on his own. This next month or two are going to be great and will probably shed true light on what our staff is thinking. I can't wait to see who we bring in, and based on the moves we make in the coming weeks and months, we're going to get a pretty good idea on exactly what Haley and the rest of the boys are thinking.

Chiefster
02-23-2010, 02:47 AM
...you call yourselves Chiefs fans?!?)

...and you call yourself a Chiefs fan?

Varying opinions is no reason to call into question anyone's fandom - so to speak. Look, varying points of view and debate are not only welcomed but encouraged here, all that is asked is that it remain respectful.

For those who may not be aware: a "Warning" is just that; a friendly reminder of the boards rules, and they carry with them no points against an individuals membership here. :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
02-23-2010, 02:56 AM

I absolutely could NOT agree more! I have also had my criticisms of Cassell but he, IMO, was thrown into a near impossible situation and made the most of it.