PDA

View Full Version : Is this what they call a muscle car? Anybody ever drive a Dodge?

rookie
02-22-2010, 05:58 PM
What do you think about the new viper? (http://surftofind.com/viper)

Anybody know anything about the quality of cars that Dodge manufactures.

They look really nice, but how do they drive?

Connie Jo
02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
"Muscle Car's" are typically defined and thought of by most as being the vintage classic hot rods of the 1960's through 1970's. Such as the Plymouth Duster, Chevy Camero, Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang, Shelby Cobra, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and a few others. Some that aren't considered muscle car's of the 60's-70's might surprise most...such as the Chevy Corvette isn't defined as a muscle car. At one time I owned a 66 Mustang, and a 72 Plymouth Duster, both now defined as Muscle Car's...wish I'd kept both too! LOL Use to drag race the Duster out on the local straightaway, as the majority of HS and young adult age's did in our area, hahaha.

These are the official definition's of 60's-70's "Muscle Car" as defined by the MCCA:

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:
A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.

Examples: Chevrolet Impala (SS only), Ford Galaxie (with 390 + cid engines only), Dodge Coronet (R/Ts only), etc.

Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

Examples: Chevrolet Camaro (SS and Z28 models only), Ford Mustang (GTs and Boss only), Plymouth 'Cudas (no Barracudas), AMC Javelin, etc.

Connie Jo
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Now that the official definition is out of the way, lol...here's my personal opinion on your question related to the Viper.

I'm a Ford person myself, but I've known many with Dodge vehicles, and they're a good product IMO. Never heard many complaints about them at all from those I know who own them.

Although the Viper isn't considered a muscle car by the true historic definition...it most definitely is a car with plenty of muscle and power, hahaha. It's one of my three favorites among newer 'hot rods' so to speak. My other two fav's are the new version's of the Shelby Cobra and Mustang. :)

Connie Jo
02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Check it out!! This was what I was gonna buy as soon as I paid off my truck, but a major life transition altered those plans, lol. In my favorite color of course...CHIEFS RED as the one shown. Maybe someday when I get life squared away again, I'll still fulfill my dream, haha. Never say never!! :)

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/02/158.jpg

AussieChiefsFan
02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
I like Chevy, but doge are great too.

Connie Jo
02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I like Chevy's and Dodge's too. My love of Fords began as a Kid in 1964, when Ford introduced the first Mustang. One of our neighbor's bought one, Ford called it a half year model at 1964 1/2. It's very rare today as a classic, very expensive to buy if you do find a 1964 1/2 model.

Anyway, I've loved horses since I was a baby, so as a kid I asscociated the Ford Mustang with the horse it was named after when I first saw it. It had all the horse logo's too, haha. My love of Ford's was born, never left...all because of a car named after a horse breed, lol.

My 1966 Mustang had the Shelby interior, which had the wild Mustang horses running across the top of the seats embossed in the vinyl, lol. It was RED too, which of course has been my favorite color since I was a kid. :)

stricken721
02-23-2010, 12:03 AM
I like Chevy's and Dodge's too. My love of Fords began as a Kid in 1964, when Ford introduced the first Mustang. One of our neighbor's bought one, Ford called it a half year model at 1964 1/2. It's very rare today as a classic, very expensive to buy if you do find a 1964 1/2 model.

Anyway, I've loved horses since I was a baby, so as a kid I asscociated the Ford Mustang with the horse it was named after when I first saw it. It had all the horse logo's too, haha. My love of Ford's was born, never left...all because of a car named after a horse breed, lol.

My 1966 Mustang had the Shelby interior, which had the wild Mustang horses running across the top of the seats embossed in the vinyl, lol. It was RED too, which of course has been my favorite color since I was a kid. :)

Red Ford's are awesome! I have one myself :bananen_smilies046:

rookie
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
"Muscle Car's" are typically defined and thought of by most as being the vintage classic hot rods of the 1960's through 1970's. Such as the Plymouth Duster, Chevy Camero, Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang, Shelby Cobra, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and a few others. Some that aren't considered muscle car's of the 60's-70's might surprise most...such as the Chevy Corvette isn't defined as a muscle car. At one time I owned a 66 Mustang, and a 72 Plymouth Duster, both now defined as Muscle Car's...wish I'd kept both too! LOL Use to drag race the Duster out on the local straightaway, as the majority of HS and young adult age's did in our area, hahaha.

These are the official definition's of 60's-70's "Muscle Car" as defined by the MCCA:

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:
A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.

Examples: Chevrolet Impala (SS only), Ford Galaxie (with 390 + cid engines only), Dodge Coronet (R/Ts only), etc.

Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

Examples: Chevrolet Camaro (SS and Z28 models only), Ford Mustang (GTs and Boss only), Plymouth 'Cudas (no Barracudas), AMC Javelin, etc.

Thanks man. Sounds like you know your cars.

This camero looks cool, (http://surftofind.com/camaro) I hear it was Chevrolet's response to the Ford Mustang.

Interesting how they all influence each other.

chiefnut
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
DRIVE A VIPER, you'll leave your 'stang behind. awsome power w/superb handling...it's a poor mans ferrari or maseratti. more fun than a vette. that said the only thing missing is the size, feel and throaty sound of a true muscle car......accept no substitutes get behind the wheel of a 69 chevelle ss 396 or a 70 roadrunner 426 hemi or charger rt 440 six pack and you'll be forever changed.

rookie
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
DRIVE A VIPER, you'll leave your 'stang behind. awsome power w/superb handling...it's a poor mans ferrari or maseratti. more fun than a vette. that said the only thing missing is the size, feel and throaty sound of a true muscle car......accept no substitutes get behind the wheel of a 69 chevelle ss 396 or a 70 roadrunner 426 hemi or charger rt 440 six pack and you'll be forever changed.

Sounds like you know your cars.

Chiefster
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
muscle cars - Google Search (http://images.google.com/images?q=muscle+cars&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ixyHS-qqOpGVtgev7JWaDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQsAQwAA)

Connie Jo
02-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks man. Sounds like you know your cars.

This camero looks cool, (http://surftofind.com/camaro) I hear it was Chevrolet's response to the Ford Mustang.

Interesting how they all influence each other.

No, don't really know that much about car's. I'm only familiar with the one's I like, such as the muscle car's of the 60's & 70's, or the new hot rod's of today I mentioned.

I love the car's of yesterday, 50's through early 70's mostly. I think body style wise new car's have much to be desired. I couldn't tell you what make/model many car's are today...too many look alike. There was no doubt years ago what make a car was...very distinquishable. I appreciate uniqueness with most everything, lol.

chiefnut
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
I grew up in the era of muscle cars. everyone spent all their spare time and money on making their big & small block v8's "GO", the paint job was the last concern. 6 cyl's were for sissy's and 4cyl for old ladies. a friend of mine had a cuda hemi that shook so much at idle he kept a phillips in the glove box to keep tightening the dash screws that would loosen up. the only car as fast [they never got to race each other] was a 66 nova with a 427 in it. after the friday night football games everyone would go to our local hamburger joints....the "stop & GO" and "carol's club burgers" whose buildings were in the same shopping center and their lots were back to back so hundreds of cars would show up on a good night. that deep throaty sound they made at idle was a magnet for guys and gals w/in earshot. after they raced their engines it took a little while before your normal hearing came back. oohs and awes at new/improved arrivals...races were arranged. the hottest cars attracted the hottest girls. friendships were forged as help was offered to work for free. tempers flared as friendly "ranking" got to personal and the police got called. yes those were the good old days.

Connie Jo
02-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I grew up in the era of muscle cars. everyone spent all their spare time and money on making their big & small block v8's "GO", the paint job was the last concern. 6 cyl's were for sissy's and 4cyl for old ladies. a friend of mine had a cuda hemi that shook so much at idle he kept a phillips in the glove box to keep tightening the dash screws that would loosen up. the only car as fast [they never got to race each other] was a 66 nova with a 427 in it. after the friday night football games everyone would go to our local hamburger joints....the "stop & GO" and "carol's club burgers" whose buildings were in the same shopping center and their lots were back to back so hundreds of cars would show up on a good night. that deep throaty sound they made at idle was a magnet for guys and gals w/in earshot. after they raced their engines it took a little while before your normal hearing came back. oohs and awes at new/improved arrivals...races were arranged. the hottest cars attracted the hottest girls. friendships were forged as help was offered to work for free. tempers flared as friendly "ranking" got to personal and the police got called. yes those were the good old days.

Your memories of yesteryear related to muscle car's were very similar to how our's were back then too! Sometimes someone would open up their headers for even more rumble, which was illegal cause of the noise, lol.