PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jones

Coach
02-25-2010, 01:42 AM
It sounds like there is a decent chance that Thomas Jones will be released by the Jets due to the emergence of Shonn Greene.

I think Jones could be the perfect complement to Charles. I don't think he would expect to be an every down back. He could be the "between the tackles" runner that we've been looking for to help Jamaal Charles.

NY Jets might release running back Thomas Jones if he doesn't take paycut | - NJ.com
(http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/02/ny_jets_might_release_rb_thoma.html)

Chief Tyler
02-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Eh, I wouldn't mind having him, again, if the price is right, but if the jets are releasing him because he expects to be overpaid, I think we can do a little better than Thomas "Just Average" Jones.

Coach
02-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I think we can do a little better than Thomas "Just Average" Jones.

"Just Average" Jones has run for over 1000 yards for each of the last 5 seasons and he had his personal best(1402 yrds) last year.

He's not a spring chicken, but we aren't going to get a spring chicken that is good that also wants to play 2nd fiddle to J Charles.

Thomas Jones: Career Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/thomasjones/careerstats?id=JON755755)

Chief Tyler
02-25-2010, 02:25 AM
"Just Average" Jones has run for over 1000 yards for each of the last 5 seasons and he had his personal best(1402 yrds) last year.

He's not a spring chicken, but we aren't going to get a spring chicken that is good that also wants to play 2nd fiddle to J Charles.

Thomas Jones: Career Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/thomasjones/careerstats?id=JON755755)

I just don't see what Jones would do for us that LJ couldn't. He's been putting up 4-5 yard averages largely due to his line and TRich. He doesn't have great speed and he isn't very elusive. He's a ground and pound (as the Jets would say) guy that doesn't fumble. It sounds like a decent combination, but until our line gets up to par he's going to be running into the backs of blockers and stuffed in the backfield. If we have to pony up cash for a player I'd prefer one that is capable of making his own yards.

chief31
02-25-2010, 04:35 AM
I just don't see what Jones would do for us that LJ couldn't. He's been putting up 4-5 yard averages largely due to his line and TRich. He doesn't have great speed and he isn't very elusive. He's a ground and pound (as the Jets would say) guy that doesn't fumble. It sounds like a decent combination, but until our line gets up to par he's going to be running into the backs of blockers and stuffed in the backfield. If we have to pony up cash for a player I'd prefer one that is capable of making his own yards.

So......

What are we looking for then?

I agree that we are not going to be able to run between the tackles consistently either way.

But what are we looking for in a "Change of pace back" if not exactly Thomas Jones?

And what he could bring that LJ didn't is a team mentallity.

The willingness to run outside, block, and do whatever is asked of him, during the game.

With LJ, he refused to put any effort into anything, aside from running between the tackles. And that is what made him, and our offense, so incredibly predictable, and easy to defend.

When LJ was in our backfield, everyone knew that we were going to pass, or run up the gut.

With Jones, and almost any other HB that we could put into that role, there would always be the threat of a running play to the outside.

I think, if we were to get him, Jones would be exactly what we are looking for.

pbatrucker
02-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Who ever we pick up will have to run thru the same creases that JC does. I exspect to pick up more OL, but a hugh improvement in the blocking probably won;t happen.

yashi
02-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Keep in mind the Jets have the best run blocking O-Line in the league. You have to wonder just how effective Thomas Jones would be behind our line..

That and he'll be 32. I'm ready for a young bruiser, so we can hopefully have our backfield set for the next 8 years.

honda522
02-25-2010, 09:01 AM
What concerns me is his atttitude. He want's to be a starter.

matthewschiefs
02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
I would not mind haveing Jones in KC at all. Hes a good RB. He wont blow you away but he can be a good Backup Rb.

Coach
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Thomas Jones has always flown under the radar. He didn't have a great OL in Chicago. And the Jets OL wasn't considered great until last season.

I'm not saying that the Chiefs can't live without him. I'm just saying that TJ is used to sharing the load with a player very similar to Jamaal(Leon Washington). It led to the Jets leading the league in rushing.

We want a between the tackles runner, that won't break the bank, that is willing to not be the feature back, but that can carry the load if Jamaal goes down.

Jones is that guy. Chester Taylor would be a more expensive option.

Seek
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I have heard the Jets tendered him to a restrictive agent that would cost us either a 2nd or 3rd.

josh1971
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I just don't see what Jones would do for us that LJ couldn't.

He could remain arrest-free. He could not be a terrible, disruptive locker room cancer.

That's two things he could do.

KottkeKU
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I really hope we get a younger, bigger RB. nothing againt T.Jones, he is a very solid runner. But he just doesn't fit what we need right now.

SHONN GREENE is going to be a ridiculous fantasy RB next year....

yashi
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I really hope we get a younger, bigger RB. nothing againt T.Jones, he is a very solid runner. But he just doesn't fit what we need right now.

SHONN GREENE is going to be a ridiculous fantasy RB next year....

I know he's not 230 lbs or anything like that, but Thomas Jones hits the hole as hard as any back I watched last season. He's a legitimate power back.

But I still don't want him. He's going to be 32 for crying out loud.

I completely agree about Greene. That guy is a stud.

Big Daddy Tek
03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I know he's not 230 lbs or anything like that, but Thomas Jones hits the hole as hard as any back I watched last season. He's a legitimate power back.

But I still don't want him. He's going to be 32 for crying out loud.

I completely agree about Greene. That guy is a stud.

You can't build our entire team off of this years draft Yashi. This is another good veteran that you are turning down because of their age.

If the Chiefs drafted 3 players in this years draft that end up contributing at a high level, that would be considered a successful draft. We obviously have a lot more holes than 3, so, yes we are going to have to use free agency and yes, aging veterans will be part of that equation.

In this deal it's all about price. If you can get Thomas Jones for a reasonable price, than there wouldn't be very many options that end up better for us. You want the backfield set for 8 years? A great backup running back would never ride the pine for 8 years. The backup running back is a 2 to 3 year revolving door and Thomas is more than welcome to stop by that kind of a time span.

I hear where your coming from Yashi, but a signing like Boldin or Jones can be one that changes the dynamic of the entire team. Ask the Saints if they regret signing 34 year old Darren Sharper?

Honestly, you wouldn't have liked that signing, would you Yashi? Darren Sharper arguably took that team / defense to the next level. I know you wanna stay young, but you need vets too.

yashi
03-02-2010, 07:20 PM
You can't build our entire team off of this years draft Yashi. This is another good veteran that you are turning down because of their age.

If the Chiefs drafted 3 players in this years draft that end up contributing at a high level, that would be considered a successful draft. We obviously have a lot more holes than 3, so, yes we are going to have to use free agency and yes, aging veterans will be part of that equation.

In this deal it's all about price. If you can get Thomas Jones for a reasonable price, than there wouldn't be very many options that end up better for us. You want the backfield set for 8 years? A great backup running back would never ride the pine for 8 years. The backup running back is a 2 to 3 year revolving door and Thomas is more than welcome to stop by that kind of a time span.

I hear where your coming from Yashi, but a signing like Boldin or Jones can be one that changes the dynamic of the entire team. Ask the Saints if they regret signing 34 year old Darren Sharper?

Honestly, you wouldn't have liked that signing, would you Yashi? Darren Sharper arguably took that team / defense to the next level. I know you wanna stay young, but you need vets too.

You bring up some good points. Here's the thing - I have absolutely no problem signing a veteran stopgap at any other position but RB. It's been proven time and time again that RBs fall off the map once they hit that magical 30 mark. Jones has been defying the odds so far, but they are so much against him at this stage in his career that I don't think it would be a good investment.

I also don't think he is going to come as cheaply as some seem to believe. He is the most productive free agent RB on the market, despite his age.

At the end of the day if you give me the choice of Jamaal Charles and no Thomas Jones or Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones, then I admit that I'll take Jones. But I'd much rather go after someone like Anthony Dixon, Ben Tate, or LaGarrette Blount in the 4th or 5th rounds. Then we can take the X million we would have spent on Jones and put it towards a Leigh Bodden or Dunta Robinson.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
You bring up some good points. Here's the thing - I have absolutely no problem signing a veteran stopgap at any other position but RB. It's been proven time and time again that RBs fall off the map once they hit that magical 30 mark. Jones has been defying the odds so far, but they are so much against him at this stage in his career that I don't think it would be a good investment.

I also don't think he is going to come as cheaply as some seem to believe. He is the most productive free agent RB on the market, despite his age.

At the end of the day if you give me the choice of Jamaal Charles and no Thomas Jones or Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones, then I admit that I'll take Jones. But I'd much rather go after someone like Anthony Dixon, Ben Tate, or LaGarrette Blount in the 4th or 5th rounds. Then we can take the X million we would have spent on Jones and put it towards a Leigh Bodden or Dunta Robinson.

I think that if we were to bring in Jones or a guy like him that despite there age it would be a good move. We dont need a guy to carry the load. We need a guy that will come in and give charles a rest. He would not get anywere near the workload that he has in New York. That would lessen the affect of age.

Yes RBs are a position that does fall off but there also one of the biggest bust rates in the Draft. There are far to many RBs that come in expecting to have a great time in the NFL that just dont pan out. I would like to get a proven guy if you can for a good price. Then you can draft a rb or to over a couple of years to get one that will pan out.

jb908
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Personal Opinion - I live in New York so unfortunately I am stuck watching more Jets games than I care to admit. Having that said, I always thought Jones was a decent running back until Shonn Green started picking up carries. That offensive line makes an average RB look great and a good running back is going to be NASTY taking over this year.

I am a believer that the running game is changing in a passing league. Young quick backs are essential to take advantage of pass coverage. Charles will be DIRTY this year.

In conclusion - the cap room is there - Might as well pick up Jones for a year if we can. Salary cap room is like vacation days... if you don't take em, there wasted.

Big Daddy Tek
03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Personal Opinion - I live in New York so unfortunately I am stuck watching more Jets games than I care to admit. Having that said, I always thought Jones was a decent running back until Shonn Green started picking up carries. That offensive line makes an average RB look great and a good running back is going to be NASTY taking over this year.

I am a believer that the running game is changing in a passing league. Young quick backs are essential to take advantage of pass coverage. Charles will be DIRTY this year.

In conclusion - the cap room is there - Might as well pick up Jones for a year if we can. Salary cap room is like vacation days... if you don't take em, there wasted.

Especially if there is no cap

Sn@keIze
03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I would like to have Jones.

It would be a great one two punch.

YZILLA
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I would like to have Jones.

It would be a great one two punch.
I agree 100% He is still a beast and runs hard . Larry johnson gave up after his huge contract !

Seek
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
He won't be cheap at all. He will be the #1 running back available. There will be teams bidding for him to be their #1 running back, yet alone to compliment Charles.

Coach
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
According NFL.com, the Chiefs are talking to Thomas Jones. Maybe I will get my wish. He'd be a perfect complimentary back to Charles. Our version of what the Jets and the Titans had.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't think there is any way Jones is the back up here! Charles would be the back up or they would use the 2 back system.

Chiefster
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Wonder what kind of price tag comes with him?

Coach
03-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Wonder what kind of price tag comes with him?

Honestly, who cares? We are so far under the cap that it really doesn't matter. Especially considering I'm not the one writing the checks.

tornadospotter
03-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Honestly, who cares? We are so far under the cap that it really doesn't matter. Especially considering I'm not the one writing the checks.
We have notice how you do not write checks, I have not receive any from you. I think my investment with Arrowcash Bank must not be doing well. :D

kckidd8870
03-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to have faith but it looks like pioli is setting on his thumbs.We arent doing anything in free agency.Ya we will pick up a fews scrubs and they will call it good again.Looks like onother 4-12 season.I hope i'm wrong but it isn't looking promising already.I no it's the first day but we havent even heard they Chiefs mentioned in any of the good players taken.

Coach
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to have faith but it looks like pioli is setting on his thumbs.We arent doing anything in free agency.Ya we will pick up a fews scrubs and they will call it good again.Looks like onother 4-12 season.I hope i'm wrong but it isn't looking promising already.I no it's the first day but we havent even heard they Chiefs mentioned in any of the good players taken.

Pioli has always been known for building his teams through the draft. I was hoping that they would have addressed 1 or 2 starting spots that we need filled, but it may not happen.

I'm still optimistic about next season, but it does get frustrating when your team isn't even mentioned as being a player in free agency.

matthewschiefs
03-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Give it time. IF you look at Piolis history he has only realy signed a couple of big name talents. Randy moss to be one. He builds his teams through the draft and through the names in free agency that might not be big names but are solid players. Its worked out well for him so far.

matthewschiefs
03-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Well then maybe you should get busy writing the checks. Just be sure to make one out to me. :D

Chiefster
03-06-2010, 12:13 AM

HA! Good point.

Ryfo18
03-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Looks like some of you may get your wish, from Adam Schefter via Twitter:

More veteran RB news to go along with Willie Parker and Justin Fargas: Chiefs scheduled former Jets RB Thomas Jones to visit KC on Monday.

yashi
03-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I think Thomas Jones complements Charles pretty nicely.. hopefully they work out a 1 year deal and then we can draft a more longer-term solution next season.

I also hope Todd Haley doesn't get any bright ideas and drastically reduce JC's carries next season.

matthewschiefs
03-06-2010, 09:57 PM
From what the rumors are saying we are after him. Maybe we end up with him. That would be nice. Jones would be a good help for this team.