PDA

View Full Version : Boldin available for a 2nd rounder?

wildcat
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
What do you think? Would Boldin be worth one of our second round picks or do we have too many other gaps to fill first?

Fantasy Football Breaking News - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2078&line=168198&spln=1)

yashi
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Honestly, I say no. While he's a great receiver, he always seems to be injured. He will also be turning 30. We could draft somebody like Golden Tate with that pick and potentially have him for a very long time. This is a deep draft class, so a 2nd round pick is very valuable.

wildcat
02-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I am not sure Boldin would be a great fit in KC. I guess I have not seen him play all that much, but he reminds me a lot of Bowe. He's not super fast, but he is physical.

I think we need a speedster who can run routes and has good hands (i.e. somebody that can stretch the field and be a true #1). The only bad thing is that it will be very difficult to get somebody like that without using our first pick or breaking the bank in FA.

I bet we will not make a major upgrade at WR this year. We have too many other holes to fill first.

matthewschiefs
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I would not mind seeing him in a chief jersey But I dont think that its a must do move for the chiefs. Giveing up a 2nd rounder for him is not that much for a great talent like i think he has. He also nos what Haley wants seeing that he was in Arizona. But its always a risk of how a guy will fit in with a new team. I would not mind seeing it but think we will be fine if we dont do it.

buffman316
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
If it wasa third rounder,I would be thrilled, but our second round picks are high, so I am not sure the value is there, not anymore. Plus, the depth of this draft is good for the Chiefs, so I be we could get a really talented reciever there. That being said, you still need a veteran wide reciever in FA.

whatwasthat?
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
i would do 3rd and a 5th for boldin...but not 2nd

captainamerica
02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I'd give up our 2b pick for him. Boldin is a pro bowl caliber receiver and he's someone who knows Haley's offense. A WR tandem of Bowe and Boldin would be one of the better and more physical WR tandems in the league and would be another piece of the puzzle towards creating a great offense.

AussieChiefsFan
02-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds good to me. Round 2b

matthewschiefs
02-26-2010, 07:00 PM
i would do 3rd and a 5th for boldin...but not 2nd

If the Cards would go for that I say thats a great move. I dont think that they would.

Chiefscrazy
02-26-2010, 07:39 PM
If the Cards would go for that I say thats a great move. I dont think that they would.

Maybe a 3rd & Croyle + perhaps a conditional 2011 pick would get it done.

On the other hand I would almost rather pick up a WR such as Shipley or Gilyard w that 3rd round pick.

I like Boldin but agree that even if we traded for him, we should still draft a speedy WR sometime in the draft.

Boobcrack
02-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Bowe, Boldin, and Chambers. That sounds like a very solid receiving corps to me. I would give pick 2b for a group like this.

texaschief
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Bowe, Chambers, and Shipley (3rd rd pick) would be better imo.

matthewschiefs
02-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Bowe, Chambers, and Shipley (3rd rd pick) would be better imo.

I would take either lineup. It would be nice just to see WR who CAN CATCH THE BALL.

yashi
02-26-2010, 08:52 PM
You build a team through the draft, not through trading 2nd round draft picks for 30 year old receivers.

texaschief
02-26-2010, 08:57 PM
You build a team through the draft, not through trading 2nd round draft picks for 30 year old receivers.

yup.

captainamerica
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, because we all know the Pats had 0 success in their trade for Randy Moss (granted it wasn't a 2nd round pick, but if the Raiders knew what they did now Moss would've been worth a 2nd.)

Vandelay
02-26-2010, 09:24 PM
I would trade them Bowe for Boldin, straight up.

yashi
02-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah, because we all know the Pats had 0 success in their trade for Randy Moss (granted it wasn't a 2nd round pick, but if the Raiders knew what they did now Moss would've been worth a 2nd.)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but how many Super Bowls did they win before they had Moss, and how many have they won since acquiring him?

One player doesn't make a team, and the nucleus of those Super Bowl teams were acquired through the draft.

honda522
02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
It sounds good, but WR is not really a need.

captainamerica
02-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but how many Super Bowls did they win before they had Moss, and how many have they won since acquiring him?

One player doesn't make a team, and the nucleus of those Super Bowl teams were acquired through the draft.
One players doesn't make a team, but 1 player sure as hell can make a team better. Randy Moss was a huge reason behind the success of the 07' Patriots and was a big reason they went 16-0 that year. Another WR they gained through trade (Wes Welker) also contributed right away and helped make them a better football team.

We're a team that needs players that can contribute to our team and Boldin is certainly one of those players. He's a pro bowl WR and is someone that instantly improves our offense. I don't think our 2b pick is giving up too much for him if a longer term deal can be reached with him and he passes our physical evaluations.

yashi
02-26-2010, 11:59 PM
One players doesn't make a team, but 1 player sure as hell can make a team better. Randy Moss was a huge reason behind the success of the 07' Patriots and was a big reason they went 16-0 that year. Another WR they gained through trade (Wes Welker) also contributed right away and helped make them a better football team.

We're a team that needs players that can contribute to our team and Boldin is certainly one of those players. He's a pro bowl WR and is someone that instantly improves our offense. I don't think our 2b pick is giving up too much for him if a longer term deal can be reached with him and he passes our physical evaluations.

Yes, but I just don't see how you can even compare the two situations. The Patriots were already contenders and traded for a veteran to boost them even further. We won 4 games last season.

We are probably realistically at least 2 seasons from being legitimate contenders in a best case scenario. Boldin would be 32 going on 33 at that point. I just don't see how this move would make sense for us.

If we were a fringe playoff team last season, I would be all for it. But we need young players to build around IMO, not more aging veterans.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes, but I just don't see how you can even compare the two situations. The Patriots were already contenders and traded for a veteran to boost them even further. We won 4 games last season.

We are probably realistically at least 2 seasons from being legitimate contenders in a best case scenario. Boldin would be 32 going on 33 at that point. I just don't see how this move would make sense for us.

If we were a fringe playoff team last season, I would be all for it. But we need young players to build around IMO, not more aging veterans.

We need both. A good part of the reason we have been as bad as we have been is that we went young far to young. We are young enough that adding a vet or to would not hurt us any. We cant just sign vets or rookies we need both.

Aging vets can be help to a team to. Ya they probley wont have the great seasons that they once had but they can be some help.

Chief Tyler
02-27-2010, 12:17 AM
We need both. A good part of the reason we have been as bad as we have been is that we went young far to young. We are young enough that adding a vet or to would not hurt us any. We cant just sign vets or rookies we need both.

Aging vets can be help to a team to. Ya they probley wont have the great seasons that they once had but they can be some help.

I tend to agree here. Herm tried the whole youth movement thing and look how it turned out. A late second round pick isn't that big of a price to pay for a pro-bowl quality receiver who could give us 4-5 good years. You pick your poison, take a chance on injury or a potential bust on a young unproven player. I'd go with the former in this case, I'm sure the management wouldn't pursue him if they weren't confident in his health and would be great to have not only around the young guys but as a immediate tool for a struggling Cassel.

TheLateGreat#58Fan
02-27-2010, 01:38 AM
WR is no doubt a need for this team.

Whoever suggested a 3rd and a 5th for him is right on.
I agree also with the we need to hold on to as many draft picks as we can mentality, but we sure could use a number 1 that can hold onto the ball.

He could also be a great teacher for the young receivers we've got
and look at his numbers when it was just him before larry fitzgerald got there they were big time
This guy is a player
all that being said no way Pioli pulls the trigger on this.

Coach
02-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Bowe, Boldin, and Chambers. That sounds like a very solid receiving corps to me. I would give pick 2b for a group like this.

Did we resign Chambers? If not he is a fre agent and might not be back. Then we are looking at Bowe and nobody else.

My concern about Boldin wouldn't be his age as much as it would be his injury history. With that said our 2B pick would not be awful. 2nd round picks aren't guaranteed starters.

Let's take a look at our past 2nd round picks:
2008 - CB - Brandon Flowers
2007 - DT - Turk McBride
2006 - S - Bernard Pollard
2004 - DT - Junior Siavii, TE - Kris Wilson
2003 - LB - Kawika Mitchell
2002 - DT - Eddie Freeman
2000 - DB - William Bartee

How many of those players are better than Anquon Boldin? 1, maybe.

Boldin and Bowe, the Killer B's. Who knows? Maybe that trade might work.
Our 2010 Draft would look something like:
1. Okung
2a. Cody
2b. Boldin -WR

That could be our best 1st day haul in quite some time.

Chief Tyler
02-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Let's take a look at our past 2nd round picks:
2008 - CB - Brandon Flowers
2007 - DT - Turk McBride
2006 - S - Bernard Pollard
2004 - DT - Junior Siavii, TE - Kris Wilson
2003 - LB - Kawika Mitchell
2002 - DT - Eddie Freeman
2000 - DB - William Bartee

Oh man, if only we could have Pollard and Mitchell Back.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Big Daddy Tek
02-27-2010, 04:31 AM
Wow. Surprising posts here. We have two second round picks and all we have to do is give one up for Anquan Boldin?

Seriously. This is a no brainer.

We almost set the all time record for dropped passes last year and our offense could never get into a rhythm because of it. It wasn't the only reason we lost so many games, but it was a huge contributor.

We have a young QB with a million yards of potential in front of him. Something has to be done now.

Anquan Boldin uses route running, hands and toughness to succeed, age is not even an issue with a player like him. He ran a 4.8 40 yard dash at the combine. The guy wasn't fast when he was young, and he caught 100 passes his rookie year. His style is ageless.

He is an animal that happens to have a suitcase full of attributes that the Chiefs current wide receiving core has no clue about. Toughness, focus, determination, consistency and reliability.

You bring this cat in for a physical and if he passes everything, you trade for him. Thats it.

texaschief
02-27-2010, 05:24 AM
If a 30 year old, injury prone, wide receiver with a bad attitude and a documented sideline fight with our head coach was worth a 2nd round pick to this team, the deal would've been done by now. Arizona is smokin crack if they think they're gonna get a 2nd for him.

A mid to late 3rd would be the HIGHEST I'd pay for him... and even that is pushing it. Our first 4 picks in the draft are WAY too valuable to this team to spend one on an aging #2 or #3 WR.

70 chiefsfan70
02-27-2010, 09:02 AM
As much as we need a veteran WR, I'd hate to think we traded Tony G. for Boldin.

If we could do a third I would feel better. We do have a lot of holes to fill and with Boldin we know what we have.

jap1
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I would consider a 2nd round pick in 2011.

TheLateGreat#58Fan
02-27-2010, 05:57 PM
If a 30 year old, injury prone, wide receiver with a bad attitude and a documented sideline fight with our head coach was worth a 2nd round pick to this team, the deal would've been done by now. Arizona is smokin crack if they think they're gonna get a 2nd for him.

A mid to late 3rd would be the HIGHEST I'd pay for him... and even that is pushing it. Our first 4 picks in the draft are WAY too valuable to this team to spend one on an aging #2 or #3 WR.

Boldin is a 2nd or 3rd in your book?
He's a number one on our team from day 1
The reason you dont want him is becasue he got into an argument with Haley on the sideline. He must be a malcontent- ohh so Kurt Warner is also a malcontent not a team guy huh

His bad attitude comes from him asking for more money? This guy didnt miss games he plays hurt

I just dont understand why anyone on this board would think twice about trading for Boldin Especailly if we could get him for our 3rd or maybe our 2nd and they add a draft pick on their end.

Just my opinion

honda522
02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
We don't need Boldin. The Patriots built their team without getting new players at the same position every 5 days. We need to keep most of the players we have. We don't need to bring in a new guy to replace another guy everday.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2010, 10:47 PM
We don't need Boldin. The Patriots built their team without getting new players at the same position every 5 days. We need to keep most of the players we have. We don't need to bring in a new guy to replace another guy everday.

WR is a place were we do need help. We need guys that can catch the ball. Boldin is a guy that could do that. I dont think its a move we should give up a ton for but its for sure a move that we have to consider doing.

honda522
02-28-2010, 12:13 AM
WR is a place were we do need help. We need guys that can catch the ball. Boldin is a guy that could do that. I dont think its a move we should give up a ton for but its for sure a move that we have to consider doing.
We don't need a WR that bad. We need an offensive line to block, time to devleop the Wr's we have now...and we need some serious defense.

Sure, it would be cool to have him, but I am not willing to give up a much need draft pick for an often injured player.

yashi
02-28-2010, 01:19 AM
We don't need a WR that bad. We need an offensive line to block, time to devleop the Wr's we have now...and we need some serious defense.

Sure, it would be cool to have him, but I am not willing to give up a much need draft pick for an often injured player.

Yeah seriously. If we can re-sign Chambers, Bowe and Chambers are definitely an above average starting WR duo. I'm excited to see them play a full 16 games together. Hell I'm even excited to see Lance Long with a year of experience under his belt.

It's really all about getting an offensive line in place right now so Cassel can actually get the ball to these guys.

Coach
03-03-2010, 12:35 AM
It's really all about getting an offensive line in place right now so Cassel can actually get the ball to these guys.

I agree that the OL needs to improve in the off-season. Cassell needs to get some protection before we turn him into a happy-footed QB for life.

nigeriannightmare
03-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd give up our 2b pick for him. Boldin is a pro bowl caliber receiver and he's someone who knows Haley's offense. A WR tandem of Bowe and Boldin would be one of the better and more physical WR tandems in the league and would be another piece of the puzzle towards creating a great offense.

I agree. He was a number 2 in Arizona and produced.

matthewschiefs
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Wr is not a MAJOR need i would agree with that but it is a need. We saw way to many drops last season to not do anything. We do need some help. The price for Boldin would be to high but I would love to see us sign someone that can help.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
everyone saying we should give up our second rounder for Boldin should think about this...

We got that pick for trading away tony gonzalez. Now I ask you...does Boldin give the Chiefs something that Tony g didn't? he is an aging star who has a long history of injury.

tony is an aging hall of famer who has shown minimal loss in production and zero injury history.

We can do a LOT better than boldin for our second round pick.

really, you're telling me that last year you would have traded Tony gonzalez for Anquan Boldin, knowing that you wouldn't actually get Bodin on the field until the 2010/2011 season? No thanks.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I would consider a 2nd round pick in 2011.

A SECOND ROUND PICK IN 2011??

Attention people:

BOLDIN WAS A SECOND ROUND PICK.

the enormous value for second rounders make them possibly the most valuable way to acquire new players. Low cost, high reward, good percentage of success.

Why on earth would you spend a second round pick, a potential 10 year pro bowler (and yes, potential bust. shut up) on a player who injury and age dictate will be out of the league in one season?

THINK ABOUT THIS.

god, some people want Pioli to run the Chiefs like a fantasy league. boldin will not be in the NFL anymore in 5 years. Would you draft a player, knowing that he intended to quit the game in 3-5 years? No! Then why would you go get Boldin?

brockmcmanis
03-03-2010, 03:00 PM

I agree not only bowe and boldin but add chambers and i think we would have the best wr group in the league! i like that move!

chief31
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
everyone saying we should give up our second rounder for Boldin should think about this...

We got that pick for trading away tony gonzalez. Now I ask you...does Boldin give the Chiefs something that Tony g didn't? he is an aging star who has a long history of injury.

tony is an aging hall of famer who has shown minimal loss in production and zero injury history.

We can do a LOT better than boldin for our second round pick.

really, you're telling me that last year you would have traded Tony gonzalez for Anquan Boldin, knowing that you wouldn't actually get Bodin on the field until the 2010/2011 season? No thanks.

That's not really a good approach to viewing this scenario.

Most people hated the TG trade as it was. And will dislike anything you try to compare as compensation.

Most people here will think that we were vastly undercompensated in that deal.

Now, I rank our need at WR very low. But would have to strongly consider Boldin for 2nd round pick. He is just too good, and just young enough, I think, to become a part of a championship team in the making.

matthewschiefs
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
A SECOND ROUND PICK IN 2011??

Attention people:

BOLDIN WAS A SECOND ROUND PICK.

the enormous value for second rounders make them possibly the most valuable way to acquire new players. Low cost, high reward, good percentage of success.

Why on earth would you spend a second round pick, a potential 10 year pro bowler (and yes, potential bust. shut up) on a player who injury and age dictate will be out of the league in one season?

THINK ABOUT THIS.

god, some people want Pioli to run the Chiefs like a fantasy league. boldin will not be in the NFL anymore in 5 years. Would you draft a player, knowing that he intended to quit the game in 3-5 years? No! Then why would you go get Boldin?

Thats the only reason I would consider the move. I would not love the move if we had to give up a 2nd rounder but I just dont think its a horrible idea. The fact is we NEED help at the WR spot. You dont bring back the same crop of recivers that lead the NFL in drops and by a wide margin. I would like to see us draft a guy at that spot. But i would also like to see us bring in a proven guy. Boldin would be off the team in 5 years your right there but so would a bust. We would be better off bringing in a good solid reciver IMO. I just want some help at reciver thats not a rookie. We would not gain anything from doing nothing and ending up with a bust. So I think we should bring in someone weather thats boldin or not i dont realy care just someone and drafting a guy and takeing your chances.

Ryfo18
03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Update: Cards only want a 3rd rounder for Boldin. Pull the trigger Pioli!

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more. Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=168772)

yashi
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
For the record, I'd be completely on board acquiring Boldin for a 3rd rounder.

tornadospotter
03-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I would agree with a third rounder for Boldin.

matthewschiefs
03-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I would like that move. We have extra picks giveing one for a good WR for a few years would be worth that pick IMO.

texaschief
03-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Boldin > Shipley with our 3rd round pick. I wouldn't LOVE this trade but I wouldn't hate it either.

But, like I said, the Cardinals are smoking crack if they thought they'd get a 2nd round pick for Boldin. The Chiefs' 3rd rounder would probably be the closest thing to a 2nd rounder that they'd get.

tornadospotter
03-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Boldin > Shipley with our 3rd round pick. I wouldn't LOVE this trade but I wouldn't hate it either.

But, like I said, the Cardinals are smoking crack if they thought they'd get a 2nd round pick for Boldin. The Chiefs' 3rd rounder would probably be the closest thing to a 2nd rounder that they'd get.

Yep, and we would get, a talented, skilled, aggressive WR, already knows what the NFL is all about, or we could draft a WR with this pick, and then we have a rookie to teach, train, and wait to see if he becomes a NFL player, we have done so well of that, so far.

captainamerica
03-04-2010, 03:21 AM

I don't think they were that crazy to expect a 2nd round pick for him. I mean look at what Roy Williams went for (a 1st, 3rd, and 6th). Granted Williams was younger that Boldin is, but still that was a hell of a lot for a WR.

Coach
03-04-2010, 11:44 PM
The issue isn't giving up the pick. I think nearly every team would give up a 3rd rd pick for Boldin. The issue is getting him signed to a deal that will kep him happy. How much are you going to have to pay for that "3rd rd selection"?

If the Chiefs want him, they aare in the driver's seat since they have a very high 3rd rd pick.

Another scenario could be:
Arizona gets our 2b(#50) pick
KC gets Boldin and Arizona's 3rd rd pick. That might be interesting to consider.

Ultimately this comes down to how much Boldin wants to resign, and if teams are willing to pay that much money to a 30yr old receiver.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-05-2010, 11:27 AM
It's all about the money with him these days and I highly doubt he would resign with a team that is struggling as much as the Chiefs are right now. His frustration level is through the roof!!! I saw a post comparing him to Bowe......not even close! Boldin is much more reliable when catching the ball and waaaaayyyyyyy more physical. Down side, as mentioned he has had a few injuries the last several years.

stevefuller
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
No way would i give up a second.

Our third? Sure.

Do you reallybelieve Haley would want to pursue this headache??

He's not coming to KC.

Sign Jamal Williams-NT today

matthewschiefs
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
The issue isn't giving up the pick. I think nearly every team would give up a 3rd rd pick for Boldin. The issue is getting him signed to a deal that will kep him happy. How much are you going to have to pay for that "3rd rd selection"?

If the Chiefs want him, they aare in the driver's seat since they have a very high 3rd rd pick.

Another scenario could be:
Arizona gets our 2b(#50) pick
KC gets Boldin and Arizona's 3rd rd pick. That might be interesting to consider.

Ultimately this comes down to how much Boldin wants to resign, and if teams are willing to pay that much money to a 30yr old receiver.

He has said he wants as much money that Larry Fitzgerld got. I dont see anyone giveing him that much since he has gotten hurt the last couple of years. But He would be nice to have if they could come up with a good price.

jb908
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Whoever talked about MOSS for a 2nd rounder... I remember the exact minute and day when MOSS went to New England... It was for a 4th rounder I thought. I about **** my pants. The chiefs management will get the best possible deal. I have no doubt. The chiefs have been building through the draft for a few years now. the defense is almost made of top 5 picks... "exaggerated of course". It's time to start making some moves.

jap1
03-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Whoever talked about MOSS for a 2nd rounder... I remember the exact minute and day when MOSS went to New England... It was for a 4th rounder I thought. I about **** my pants. The chiefs management will get the best possible deal. I have no doubt. The chiefs have been building through the draft for a few years now. the defense is almost made of top 5 picks... "exaggerated of course". It's time to start making some moves.

It was for a fourth, but dont forget that Al Davis was the one making that call. He is the only one stupid enough to give away a player for so little.