PDA

View Full Version : Crazy theory/trade speculation

captainamerica
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Before I start writing I want to let everyone know that this is just my insane mind running wild thinking about different trade and draft possibilities. Even I don't think the odds of this all playing out the way I'm envisioning is very likely, but it's been something that's been creeping into my mind a lot lately.

Okay so here's the situation: The Rams, the Bucs, the Lions, and The Redskins all make their 1st round picks and Jimmy Clausen is still on the board. The Cards still have Anquan Boldin who they're looking to get rid of and they're also still in need of a QB. What if we were to trade Matt Cassel straight up for Anquan Boldin and than draft Jimmy Clausen?

Now hear me out here, I like Cassel I really do, but I'm not the only one on here that thinks Cassel will never develop into one of the upper echelon QBs. He's someone who will always be good, but I don't think he'll ever be great without a whole lot of help around him. If that's the case and we believe Clausen does have the potential to be great (which he should have a decent idea of since Weis was his coach at ND) than why not try and make that move?

With Boldin, Chambers, and Bowe, Clausen would have plenty of targets to throw to and many great coaches to learn from and to flourish. He would be our QBOTF and would help to restore hope in our franchise (a franchise that suffered a blackout for the 1st time in forever). Even if we don't want to start Clausen right away I think Brodie Croyle would be a sufficient stop-gap solution in the mean time. Any way I look at it I think this would be a good move for the franchise.

Let me know what you guys think and please even if you think this is stupid, try and take it easy on me.

matthewschiefs
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Interesting thought but I would not like that move. QBS probley have the highest bust rate of any postion in the draft. Clausen is not a Qb that i am sold on at all for the NFL. He has all the chance to be a great QB but Cassle has put up good numbers in games even on a bad team. Bolden would be nice but I realy do not want to start over with a rookie qb.

KottkeKU
02-28-2010, 04:24 PM
i dont like this move. Claussen i think has bust written all over him, hasnt won a lot of games in his career, and has never played one nfl game yet. Plus we would have to pay him way more money than we are paying Cassel. Cassel won more than 10 games filing in for tom brady in his FIRST year as a starter. He also won more games than both Croyle an Thigpen. Once we get the pieces in place, i.e. receivers and linemen, Cassel will develop into that great QB your after.

Ryfo18
02-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I gotta be honest, I like it. Whether the Cards would make that trade, who knows. There in the same boat as us with Leinart, though I think there is a lot of speculation with him. I think your idea is great though. Weis knows clausen a d I think the offense would flourish as a result.

honda522
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
God, serisouly, were not trading Matt Cassel.

lucky_lefty
02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Boldin will not play for Haley

captainamerica
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Boldin will not play for Haley
"I wouldn't mind playing for him in Kansas City" said Anquan Boldin in regards to Todd Haley. Anquan Boldin: 'I wouldn't mind playing for Chiefs' Todd Haley' - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/4/16/840535/anquan-boldin-i-wouldnt-mind)

matthewschiefs
02-28-2010, 06:33 PM
I gotta be honest, I like it. Whether the Cards would make that trade, who knows. There in the same boat as us with Leinart, though I think there is a lot of speculation with him. I think your idea is great though. Weis knows clausen a d I think the offense would flourish as a result.

If Clausen had proven ANYTHING in the NFL i would be with you on that. I think the fact that Weis nos Clausen would help but I just dont want to start the offense all over with a rookie qb.

pbatrucker
02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
At least Cassel has proven he is a leader.
There are number of the so called experts that really question his maturity and his leadership ability.
IMO this would be the stupist move they could make.
:efpge: :beat_DeadHorse:

matthewschiefs
02-28-2010, 07:39 PM
At least Cassel has proven he is a leader.
There are number of the so called experts that really question his maturity and his leadership ability.
IMO this would be the stupist move they could make.
:efpge: :beat_DeadHorse:

there could be worse moves like cutting charles. But i am not a real fan of this at all. Cassel kept the offense together in a terrible year on what was a bad team. He has earned the chance to stay around when he has a good team around.

Besides that the cards would not go for that move. We would have to give more then Cassle to get Boldin.

AussieChiefsFan
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Before I start writing I want to let everyone know that this is just my insane mind running wild thinking about different trade and draft possibilities. Even I don't think the odds of this all playing out the way I'm envisioning is very likely, but it's been something that's been creeping into my mind a lot lately.

Okay so here's the situation: The Rams, the Bucs, the Lions, and The Redskins all make their 1st round picks and Jimmy Clausen is still on the board. The Cards still have Anquan Boldin who they're looking to get rid of and they're also still in need of a QB. What if we were to trade Matt Cassel straight up for Anquan Boldin and than draft Jimmy Clausen?

Now hear me out here, I like Cassel I really do, but I'm not the only one on here that thinks Cassel will never develop into one of the upper echelon QBs. He's someone who will always be good, but I don't think he'll ever be great without a whole lot of help around him. If that's the case and we believe Clausen does have the potential to be great (which he should have a decent idea of since Weis was his coach at ND) than why not try and make that move?

With Boldin, Chambers, and Bowe, Clausen would have plenty of targets to throw to and many great coaches to learn from and to flourish. He would be our QBOTF and would help to restore hope in our franchise (a franchise that suffered a blackout for the 1st time in forever). Even if we don't want to start Clausen right away I think Brodie Croyle would be a sufficient stop-gap solution in the mean time. Any way I look at it I think this would be a good move for the franchise.

Let me know what you guys think and please even if you think this is stupid, try and take it easy on me.
Interesting thought that COULD work out eventually but this is what I would be worried about.

QBS probley have the highest bust rate of any postion in the draftExactly.

DC_Chiefsfan
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't think its a bad move at all. I think Claussen will be very good, especially with weiss. I like cassell, but all he's proven is that he can take over the reigns of a damn near perfect team (19-1) and win 11 games. brodie could have run that team and pulled away 11 wins. I don't think trading for Boldin is great, but trading Cassel for a 1st or 2nd round pick would be sweet! Claussen is young, takes care of the ball and lead his team's offense. He didn't win many games because his defense gave up 30+ points a game. I really do think that picking claussen is a real possibility, maybe the strongest. Either way, with claussen or cassel, I think we have a good year coming for us!!

AussieChiefsFan
02-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't think its a bad move at all. I think Claussen will be very good, especially with weiss. I like cassell, but all he's proven is that he can take over the reigns of a damn near perfect team (19-1) and win 11 games. brodie could have run that team and pulled away 11 wins. I don't think trading for Boldin is great, but trading Cassel for a 1st or 2nd round pick would be sweet! Claussen is young, takes care of the ball and lead his team's offense. He didn't win many games because his defense gave up 30+ points a game. I really do think that picking claussen is a real possibility, maybe the strongest. Either way, with claussen or cassel, I think we have a good year coming for us!!

I dont think teams will be willing to give up that much for him.

jap1
02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I am very wary of Claussen. The last QB to come out of ND seems to be a HUGE bust (Brady Quinn). Yeah, Brady Quinn wasnt the guy that Weis recruited, but he was supposed to be the next Joe Montana, and looks more like Joe Mantegna.

Ryfo18
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
If Clausen had proven ANYTHING in the NFL i would be with you on that. I think the fact that Weis nos Clausen would help but I just dont want to start the offense all over with a rookie qb.

It's not about Clausen for me...I just REAALLLY like Boldin!

whatwasthat?
02-28-2010, 10:55 PM

our defense was pretty close to that
if he cant win under those circumstances in college ball he definately wont win in the NFL playing for the chiefs...would be a wasted 1st round pick

KristofLaw
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I am very wary of Claussen. The last QB to come out of ND seems to be a HUGE bust (Brady Quinn). Yeah, Brady Quinn wasnt the guy that Weis recruited, but he was supposed to be the next Joe Montana, and looks more like Joe Mantegna.

LOL
I'm more about Sam Bradford. Were anything similar to this scenario to unfold why not pick the man?

yashi
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
LOL
I'm more about Sam Bradford. Were anything similar to this scenario to unfold why not pick the man?

Near lock that he's going to the Rams, according to some.

Chiefster
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
YouTube- Susan Boyle: I Dreamed A Dream - Britain's Got Talent 2009 - The Final

matthewschiefs
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
It's not about Clausen for me...I just REAALLLY like Boldin!

I would love to have Boldin as well. I just would like to no that We would have a guy that could get the ball to him and i am not sure Clausen is that guy or not.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
quinn has no arm. He's a very accurate short passer. Claussen has a cannon and put up way better numbers than quinn. I do believe that claussen is the real deal and will succeed with what ever team drafts him. I like bradford too, but he would take longer to develop since he's not used to playing pro style offense. Cassel is a starting caliber nfl qb, not great, but certainly better than a lot of other starting qbs. He's easily worth a 2nd round pick and a team would be more than willing to offer a 2nd round pick for their starting qb (maybe buffalo?). I believe that claussen is one of the less likely options for our #5 pick, but in no way, shape or form would he be a wasted pick.

pbatrucker
03-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I compare Clausen to another QB drafted in the first round. Ryan Leaf. Clausen is to immature to handle the leadersip and spotlite
of an NFL QB.

Boobcrack
03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I compare Clausen to another QB drafted in the first round. Ryan Leaf. Clausen is to immature to handle the leadersip and spotlite
of an NFL QB.

Ouch!! Ryan Leaf.

kckidd8870
03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
YA,get the pieces he had with New England,Like wes Welker ,Randy Moss ect ect.....He put up like 3,950 .....Something like that give him a chance.He will do o.k.I don't want then to get Claussen.Just my opinion ,but don't think he will be that good.GO CHIEFS

kckidd8870
03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
One last thing, get us some reciever a left tackle a middle linebacker and a safety.We will be o.k.

kckidd8870
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I forgot to put a big bad nose tackle.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-01-2010, 10:15 PM
YA,get the pieces he had with New England,Like wes Welker ,Randy Moss ect ect.....He put up like 3,950 .....Something like that give him a chance.He will do o.k.I don't want then to get Claussen.Just my opinion ,but don't think he will be that good.GO CHIEFS

It's going to take a while to get a team like that together. We saw what Cassel could do with mediocre players, not a whole lot, plus he turned the ball over way too much both interceptions and fumbles (and at the worst times). I still like cassel, but it will be a while before we have any kind of team that can carry him. I would rather invest in a qb that can carry (or we think can carry) the team and not the other way around. One thing every superbowl team has in common (with the exception of the 2000 Ravens) is a top tier quarterback who leads their team. And VERY few QB's taken after the 1st round are ever even pro bowl caliber. As for the spotlight, the kid went to Notre Dame. He was on national tv every week. And yes he was immature, but if you paid any attention to this past year, he is MUCH better. Besides, he would be coming into a comfortable system with a guy he respects who happens to also be a guy that can control him. All I'm saying is that this would not be a bad thing. There's no possible way this would be a detriment to the chiefs. KC offers claussen the best chance to be successful. Ryan Leaf is a cracked out drug addict. There is no comparison.

chief31
03-02-2010, 03:52 AM
It's going to take a while to get a team like that together. We saw what Cassel could do with mediocre players, not a whole lot, plus he turned the ball over way too much both interceptions and fumbles (and at the worst times). I still like cassel, but it will be a while before we have any kind of team that can carry him. I would rather invest in a qb that can carry (or we think can carry) the team and not the other way around. One thing every superbowl team has in common (with the exception of the 2000 Ravens) is a top tier quarterback who leads their team. And VERY few QB's taken after the 1st round are ever even pro bowl caliber. As for the spotlight, the kid went to Notre Dame. He was on national tv every week. And yes he was immature, but if you paid any attention to this past year, he is MUCH better. Besides, he would be coming into a comfortable system with a guy he respects who happens to also be a guy that can control him. All I'm saying is that this would not be a bad thing. There's no possible way this would be a detriment to the chiefs. KC offers claussen the best chance to be successful. Ryan Leaf is a cracked out drug addict. There is no comparison.

A great QB doesn't "carry" a crappy team to greatness. And if we think that a kid in the draft CAN... then we are in real trouble.

And a crappy team is what Cassel was trying to "carry".

A team that had many issues with the changes to the staff, philosophy, players and schemes.

This team was overloaded with square pegs that were being forced into round holes.

Expecting more than what Cassel gave us from any QB is pretty far-fetched. He survived, learned a new offense, and familiarized himself with his new team.

To be honest, survival was above and beyond my expectations for him.

I wouldn't have expected any more than that from Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

jb908
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
There is no question Cassel is worth a number #1 pick. I believe the Cards want a 1st and a 3rd for bolden. I also think Cassel could be worth a 1st and 3rd.

Risky Trade if Claussen doesn't work out, but I like the idea. That would make a hell of a receiving corps.

KristofLaw
03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Near lock that he's going to the Rams, according to some.
Crazy theory thread, might I remind you. He's ours.

Connie Jo
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
A great QB doesn't "carry" a crappy team to greatness. And if we think that a kid in the draft CAN... then we are in real trouble.

A team that had many issues with the changes to the staff, philosophy, players and schemes.

This team was overloaded with square pegs that were being forced into round holes.

Expecting more than what Cassel gave us from any QB is pretty far-fetched. He survived, learned a new offense, and familiarized himself with his new team.

Agree! REP!

jb908
03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
After thinking about my comment regarding this making a GREAT receiving corps... I can't even joke about giving up Cassel and using a #1 on a QB... we have a quarterback to build a team around. GET THE REST...

Yes I know this was just a crazy Joke theory.. But this is the stuff that gets you thinking about how Sundays are going to be in the FALL... I want to enjoy them after week 3 at some point in my life..

DC_Chiefsfan
03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not saying I think they should make this move, I just don't think it would be the end of the world. I wouldn't be mad if it happened is all I'm saying. I've stood up for Cassel forever and still believe he's good. But you can't argue that all superbowl QB's are GREAT Qbs, not just above average qbs.

P.S. Manning and Brady are tremendously more talented than Cassel and easily would have pumped out 2-3 more wins. Ball control.

tornadospotter
03-02-2010, 10:12 PM

That was my biggest concern about last season, also why I wanted to keep Thig around, I really, especially after Chan was canned, we would be hurting for a QB that could suit up and play! So I am going to give Cassell the next season, to convince me that he will be our QB, but he better throw better passes next season!

Coach
03-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I would be very disappointed if we traded Cassell. I really don't think there is any trade for Cassell that Pioli would entertain. We have our QB, now build around him. Cassell isn't the reason this team only won 4 games last year. I like him a lot.

chief31
03-03-2010, 03:56 AM
I'm not saying I think they should make this move, I just don't think it would be the end of the world. I wouldn't be mad if it happened is all I'm saying. I've stood up for Cassel forever and still believe he's good. But you can't argue that all superbowl QB's are GREAT Qbs, not just above average qbs.

P.S. Manning and Brady are tremendously more talented than Cassel and easily would have pumped out 2-3 more wins. Ball control.

Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins would, each, like to discuss that with you.:D

DC_Chiefsfan
03-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Delhomme and Grossman didn't win the superbowl (of course I didn't specify that). So you definitely got me, 3 of 44 superbowl winning qbs were just above average.

chief31
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Delhomme and Grossman didn't win the superbowl (of course I didn't specify that). So you definitely got me, 3 of 44 superbowl winning qbs were just above average.

Above average? Really? Dilfer? Rob Johnson? Above average? You don't want to reconsider that?

For the title "above average" I'd submit Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning.

And I was not in the mood to search all of the Super Bowls, just the past ten.

Jeff Hostetler
Doug Williams
Phill Simms
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunket X2
Terry Bradshaw X4
Bob Griese X2
Joe Namath

Some of them, you will argue, are viewed as having been "great".

But, they are only viewed as great, as a result of winning Super Bowls.

Without Supr Bowl success, they were above average, at best.

Add in Roethlisberger, E. Manning, Dilfer and Johnson, and we have 17/44 Super Bowl winning QBs who were above average, or less.

And I don't even want to start searching for the "great" QBs who never did win one.