PDA

View Full Version : Could we really be eyeing Brian Buluga with the fifth overall?

stevefuller
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
What do you all think?

If we would select him with say Berry and Okung on the board i may not watch the rest of the draft and may really reconsider this addiction of mine.

OPLookn
03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm curious as to why you say this? If we went based on how people were ranked it'd be the same logic applied to the games. Why watch the game? Such and such team has better players? I understand they might be better athletes but there are other things to consider such as football smarts and attitude.

Buluga has been a player for Iowa...coached by Ferentz who is buddies with Pioli. They'll know a lot more what they're getting and there have been dud's drafted in the first and studs drafted in the later rounds...Tom Brady any one?

I hate to say it but I'm going to stick with the motto of "In Pioli I trust" for now.

Seek
03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
It is a position of need. I would hate though for the Chiefs to draft a player over another because of relationship with the college coach gave him an additional notch in his belt, IE RYAN SIMS.

pbatrucker
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Of the OT's Buluga is the best technician, has a better understanding of the game and is only 21 years old. He will only get bigger and stronger. He would fit well in our zone blocking scheme.
I don't think he is perfect, but neither is Okung.
I really like Berry and McClain, but if the Chiefs draft a LT they could improve 2 or three positions with one player.
As the man said, "in Pioli we trust" he is the man with the plan.

KottkeKU
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
It is a position of need. I would hate though for the Chiefs to draft a player over another because of relationship with the college coach gave him an additional notch in his belt, IE RYAN SIMS.

i couldn't agree more. I think its lame some GM's will rank a guy higher on their board based on their relationship with his coach. Who cares if Pioli talks with Ferentz? I mean, don't get me wrong, Bulaga might be a good player but he is kind of a project. plus he doesn't have elite LT athleticism and speed, so i think taking him 5 overall would be a reach. Especially if Berry or Okung were still on the board.

However.

If BERRY especially, but Okung too are both already taken...i could really care less what or who we draft. Next best LT would be my choice, and that would either be Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, or i think one other guy i can't remember the name of...Davis i think.

I just don't want to see us pass up on Berry and take this guy because of Pioli's relationship with the coach. Thats what we did with LJ, Tamba, and Sims, none of which truly lived up their prime potential. Tamba you can make a case he has revitalized his career as a 3-4 OLB somehow, but the others were bad picks. I sure hope Tamba keeps improving, that was his first year at LB!

DMN
03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I worry about his arm length... 33 1/4". and has been faulted for losing his footwork at times. He seems to be a bit too much of a "project" player which scares me.

I agree O line is our biggest concern and should be addressed with the highest priority. But we can get good value in the later rounds. Berry comes in and starts day one making an impact... and I think the redskins are the only team to take him if he goes before us.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Bulaga does have shorter arms, three inches shorter than Okung, but his footwork is superb.

Personally, I don't think Pioli is stupid enough to draft a guy simply because he knows the coach. So, are we taking Jimmy Clausen? Are we trading for Brady Quinn? Why haven't we signed Anthony Fasano?

Pioli has never been on a team that drafted a lineman who played under Ferentz.

Also, did people ever consider that Ferentz might, in his friendship, DISSUADE pioli from drafting Bulaga? "Hey scott, I know he's hyped up, but the kid never produced the way we wanted him to." It's always "pioli knows ferentz, so that means good for the player."

There was a reason Leinert didn't get drafted by the Titans...