PDA

View Full Version : Jared Gaither on the trading block

captainamerica
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
The Ravens are reportedly looking for either a 1st or 2nd round pick for him. I obviously wouldn't advocate giving up our 1st for him, but I'd be willing to part ways with our 2a for him. What do you all think?

stricken721
03-07-2010, 11:55 PM
The Ravens are reportedly looking for either a 1st or 2nd round pick for him. I obviously wouldn't advocate giving up our 1st for him, but I'd be willing to part ways with our 2a for him. What do you all think?

That's probably a little too much, especially a first. If he had a pro bowl I could understand asking that much, but he doesn't. 3rd or 4th round pick would be better.

captainamerica
03-08-2010, 12:01 AM
That's probably a little too much, especially a first. If he had a pro bowl I could understand asking that much, but he doesn't. 3rd or 4th round pick would be better.
Do you think we could get someone better with our 2a pick at LT? I don't think we could. Jared is young and has starting experience in the NFL. In my opinion he's a pretty valuable asset to be had.

stricken721
03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Do you think we could get someone better with our 2a pick at LT? I don't think we could. Jared is young and has starting experience in the NFL. In my opinion he's a pretty valuable asset to be had.

I'm not saying we can or can't get somebody better. I just think it may be a little too much of an asking price. It may be a good idea to trade for him, but I really don't think Pioli would do it for that much.

Seek
03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Id give them the second rounders the Falcons gave us for Tony G. Why are the shopping him though would be a concern.

yashi
03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I think you guys are severely underrating Jared Gaither. He is a top 5 left tackle in the NFL right now, and he is only 23. He is in fact elite at the 2nd most valuable position. It's absolutely ridiculous that they're shopping him, and Pioli should get on the phone right now and do whatever it takes to get him. I'd give up our 2a in a heartbeat.

Look at this. Among full-time LTs last season, he was the 3rd best in the league.

ProFootballFocus.com - By Position (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

captainamerica
03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Id give them the second rounders the Falcons gave us for Tony G. Why are the shopping him though would be a concern.
They're shopping him, because they just spent a ton of money on Michael Oher and they want to make him their franchise LT. Jared Gaither's a beast though. It's not an issue of performance why they're trading him. Gaither has starting LT experience and has performed very well in that role. He also has incredible height/size for that position. We'd be extremely lucky to land anyone with his talent/potential at our 2a. I'd be willing to give up our 2a and than some for him in a heartbeat.

KottkeKU
03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
only woulve cost us a 3rd rounder to get him in the compensatory draft or whatever its called back when he was available a few years ago as a rookie... Herm didn't take him for some reason though after the draft, and let the Ravens snatch him up. I remember lots of people wanted him once they knew he was available after the draft. Thanks Herm/Carl...

captainamerica
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
We wouldn't go for that cheap. The Redskins are already offering up their 2nd round pick for him which is just 1 spot higher than our 2a pick. That's why I think we should try and make the deal to snatch him up from under the Redskins. I really think we'd be lucky to get him for our 2a.

dad005
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree! That would be make good use of that 2a pick, where we would also be able to draft freely with our 1st rounder and take someone else, maybe a defensive playmaker a la Berry or McClain...I wouldn't be disappointed with that at all but it would surprise me if Pioli decides to go for it, as he seems committed to building through the draft

yashi
03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
If our first two picks landed us Jared Gaither and Eric Berry, I would be the happiest person on earth.

captainamerica
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
If our first two picks landed us Jared Gaither and Eric Berry, I would be the happiest person on earth.
...and than our 2b landed us Cam Thomas. We'd have the makings of a very, very solid team.

kcmostwanted
03-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I like the guy a lot but this is what scares me...

From Sports item
"Teams could be willing to give up a pick in the first or second round for Gaither because he's young (he'll turn 24 next week), experienced (already a two-year starter) and unique (a 6-foot-9, 340-pound lineman with skills). The Ravens, who could keep Gaither by matching any offer, might be willing to let him go because of his less-than-desirable work ethic and durability issues (he missed five games last season)."....

I still wouldn't mind having him though

chief31
03-09-2010, 01:27 AM
I would be thrilled to land this prize catch. He is a mountain.

endzonewillie
03-09-2010, 05:23 AM
I think this would be a great pick up no doubt. If he was in ths years draft, people would sling a first or second round pick at this guy and now that he is proven he is worth even more. Fact is teams throw first round picks at failure players every year and this guy has shown he can perform at a high level in the NFL. The only reason Pioli may not decide to go after him may be there are OLinemen in the draft with projected better careers. I like the sure thing over the maybe but just my honest oppinion.

Coach
03-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree! That would be make good use of that 2a pick, where we would also be able to draft freely with our 1st rounder and take someone else, maybe a defensive playmaker a la Berry or McClain...I wouldn't be disappointed with that at all but it would surprise me if Pioli decides to go for it, as he seems committed to building through the draft

I think Pioli is content with using Albert as our LT. So I see this trade as unlikely. I personally think we need a lot of OL help and would not be against getting Gaither(LT) with a 2nd round pick so that we can get a LB, NT or S with our 1st round pick.

Interesting to think about. We could even package our 2b pick with a 4th and 5th round selection to make this deal work. Trading away our 2a pick worries me a little because I think there are going to be a couple of really good players sitting there when we pick.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I would love to have him, and our 2a would not be a bad deal for him. I just don't see Pioli going after him.

yashi
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I think Pioli is content with using Albert as our LT. So I see this trade as unlikely. I personally think we need a lot of OL help and would not be against getting Gaither(LT) with a 2nd round pick so that we can get a LB, NT or S with our 1st round pick.

Interesting to think about. We could even package our 2b pick with a 4th and 5th round selection to make this deal work. Trading away our 2a pick worries me a little because I think there are going to be a couple of really good players sitting there when we pick.

I don't know if I feel the same way about Haley. The way he's been wording everything he says about Albert makes me believe he wants to move him to another position. Keep in mind this is a guy who normally doesn't give any more information than he needs to:

"The good thing about Branden is he's got some versatility," Haley said at the annual scouting combine. "He played a tough position. There were enough encouraging signs from Branden even though it was an up-and-down year … that he can play the toughest position there. But we'll do whatever we have to to get better. Across the board on the offensive line, we have some really versatile guys, which is a plus. Brian Waters could play at a high level at center and if in a pinch we had to play him at left tackle, he'd probably be able to hold his own."I was surprised to hear him say that much. But I kind of interpret that as him saying that he kind of wants to move Waters to C so Albert can play LG, which obviously means drafting or acquiring a franchise LT. That last little bit on Waters playing left tackle seems like something he said because he immediately regretted giving out as much information as he did.

The fact that he mentioned versatility more than once.. and versatility means moving guys around.