PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs signed Shaun Smith?

Connie Jo
03-10-2010, 12:32 AM
There are Facebook posts going on within the last hour or so saying the Chiefs signed Shaun Smith...legit or rumor?

Adam Gill
I just heard a rumor that the chiefs have signed shaun smith to a contract. I did some minor research and found a twitter page with his name on it and a big arrow head as the pic.

Barry Peraino link?

about an hour ago

Joe Bates I had read a blog that they were very interested in Smith. Haven't seen where they signed him yet. He's a big DT that played for Romeo in Cleveland.

Ryfo18
03-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Appears to be rumors right now. I'm not seeing anything confirming it though.

Connie Jo
03-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Yeah, I figured it there was any truth to it...it would be making news, but I've not come across any thing reliable either while searching.

AussieChiefsFan
03-10-2010, 01:05 AM
I agree, It's just rumours ATM, there's nothing on NFL.com of KCCHIEFS.com about it.

Coach
03-10-2010, 01:07 AM
This looks like this is going to happen, just a matter of when.

AussieChiefsFan
03-10-2010, 01:22 AM
I hadn't heard of him until I searched him up on google just then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Smith_(defensive_lineman) This is him right? Im pretty sure it is because he's a Free Agent and because the other Shaun Smith on the Wikipedia is on the "International Practice Squad" for the Panthers.

stricken721
03-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Interesting.. I found that twitter page and it does show a Chiefs logo, but his website talks about being resigned by the Bengals. Guess we'll see

stricken721
03-10-2010, 01:24 AM
I hadn't heard of him until I searched him up on google just then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Smith_(defensive_lineman) This is him right? Im pretty sure it is because he's a Free Agent and because the other Shaun Smith on the Wikipedia is on the "International Practice Squad" for the Panthers.

That would be him

AussieChiefsFan
03-10-2010, 01:25 AM
That would be him
ok, cool.

josh1971
03-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Looking at his stats, he doesn't look that impressive, and was he injured most of last year?

yashi
03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Looking at his stats, he doesn't look that impressive, and was he injured most of last year?

He's a talented run stuffing nose tackle (which is why he doesn't put up big stats), but he's considered one of the biggest headcases in the league, so much so that most teams don't want him. It sounds like Romeo Crennel likes him though, so maybe he's a coach that can actually get the guy under control.

pbatrucker
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
He's a talented run stuffing nose tackle (which is why he doesn't put up big stats), but he's considered one of the biggest headcases in the league, so much so that most teams don't want him. It sounds like Romeo Crennel likes him though, so maybe he's a coach that can actually get the guy under control.

We had him in for a try out last year and didn't sign him. He's the one who punched Brady Quinn in the mouth.

stricken721
03-10-2010, 09:58 AM
We had him in for a try out last year and didn't sign him. He's the one who punched Brady Quinn in the mouth.

Then we should definitely sign him :lol:

Ryfo18
03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Just saw this from Shaun Smiths Twitter 3 minutes ago:

It's a officiical am a Kansas city chief

Nothing to be too excited about, but Crennel obviously thinks he might have something.

yashi
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm just happy that we have a new nose tackle on the roster who has had some actual success at the position before.

wichitaj
03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
he's a kansas kid, he can't be that bad.

buffman316
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Here is his twitter page http://twitter.com/sjs91/status/10280164633 This might be the first time a player broke the news lol

OPLookn
03-10-2010, 12:34 PM

I'd say that's even MORE reason to sign him!

DC_Chiefsfan
03-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Insider Blog: Another New Face in KC (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Insider-Blog-Another-New-Face-in-KC/5c5c58a4-b39f-47c2-a5c6-cb2a6b052fdf)

I think he'll be good! Another big body at the Nose! It looks like he's turning things around though personally.

buffman316
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
This is offical now Update: Chiefs agree to deal with DT Smith | Red Zone (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1247)

jason1981
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
i think this shows that we wont reach at #5 with a NT. Thank god. I dont even want a NT in the 2nd rd. unless there is one that is worth it. but i dont think there will be. hopefully Smith will be an upgrade and get us by till next year or two and hopefuly there is a NT in next year draft.

matthewschiefs
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM
This could be one of the underrated Pioli signings A guy who want get you real excited but a guy who just goes out and helps the team. I hope he turns out to be a good help for the defense.

Ryfo18
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
i think this shows that we wont reach at #5 with a NT. Thank god. I dont even want a NT in the 2nd rd. unless there is one that is worth it. but i dont think there will be. hopefully Smith will be an upgrade and get us by till next year or two and hopefuly there is a NT in next year draft.

Ehh I disagree...I think at the least it adds depth, but Shaun Smith is no prized NT. This guy wasn't picked up by Cincinnati until week 15 last year...before that he wasn't even on a team. NT is a very critical position in the 3-4 scheme, the Chiefs need to take a shot on a rookie that can be above average at that position.

Hayvern
03-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Ehh I disagree...I think at the least it adds depth, but Shaun Smith is no prized NT. This guy wasn't picked up by Cincinnati until week 15 last year...before that he wasn't even on a team. NT is a very critical position in the 3-4 scheme, the Chiefs need to take a shot on a rookie that can be above average at that position.

But there are very few true 3-4 rookie nose tackles out there, and even fewer that are any good.

I don't think we need a supreme player at that position, we need a guy that can fill the holes. I am not sure Smith is that guy, but I don't agree with the idea that this is the most important need for this team right now.

Ryfo18
03-10-2010, 03:36 PM
But there are very few true 3-4 rookie nose tackles out there, and even fewer that are any good.

I don't think we need a supreme player at that position, we need a guy that can fill the holes. I am not sure Smith is that guy, but I don't agree with the idea that this is the most important need for this team right now.

Right, but Smith is a medicore backup at best. The NT is a critical position in the 3-4, b/c if he's not occupying 2-3 blockers, LBs are getting blocked and not getting free. It is definitely worth investing in one of the top NTs in this years draft, b/c right now our options are very poor. Remember, this is a team that is trying to convert 4-3 DT's to NT.

Does anyone remember who gave up the 2nd most rushing yards last year to a clip of 4.7YPC?

bigpoppachief
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
DUDE I am stoked ! Shaun Smith is a beast ! He has some troubles but I think this power coaching staff can ahndle him I am seriously excited about the direction the Chiefs are going

honda522
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
2 Career sacks? Not really impressive for being in the leauge long. Must he be a really good run stopper?

kcnation
03-10-2010, 07:32 PM
i know nothing about this guy,actually never heard of him doing anything in the nfl,guess we will see if he makes the cuts at training camp

Boobcrack
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I have never heard of this guy either. Just adding depth i'm guessing.

honda522
03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
i know nothing about this guy,actually never heard of him doing anything in the nfl,guess we will see if he makes the cuts at training camp
He was undrafted.

josh1971
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I have never heard of this guy either. Just adding depth i'm guessing.

Heeeere ya go!

Shaun Smith (http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunsmith/profile?id=SMI711660)

jb

slimdagreat
03-10-2010, 09:08 PM
2 Career sacks? Not really impressive for being in the leauge long. Must he be a really good run stopper?

He's a clogger. His job has always been to take up the center and guard in a 3-4 defense, so he doesn't get sacks, but he's a solid spot starter/backup.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-10-2010, 11:14 PM
And just in case anyone cares, Ron Edwards has an overall rating of 74 on Madden 10, whereas Shaun smith has an overall rating of 78!! Haha! All joking aside, this guy will be a good NT for us and I agree, he will ultimately go down as a great signing by Pioli.

KCINNYC
03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Not to be a blind fan, but us Chiefs fans have to love them for not sitting around giving eachother high fives over Thomas Jones and getting another deal done the next day. Right? Totally. I am still one of those who believe in Pioli and Haley and believe they KNEW last year was a "let's see what we have" year; that THIS year is truly THE 1st year where there is expectations, hope and pressure for them to turn this around, and they have shown they are trying with Weis, Crennel, Jones, and Chambers and now Smith...I don't know how a person who claims to be a Chiefs fan is not excited.

whatwasthat?
03-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Not to be a blind fan, but us Chiefs fans have to love them for not sitting around giving eachother high fives over Thomas Jones and getting another deal done the next day. Right? Totally. I am still one of those who believe in Pioli and Haley and believe they KNEW last year was a "let's see what we have" year; that THIS year is truly THE 1st year where there is expectations, hope and pressure for them to turn this around, and they have shown they are trying with Weis, Crennel, Jones, and Chambers and now Smith...I don't know how a person who claims to be a Chiefs fan is not excited.

i would rather them make a few proficient signings than a ton of "what were you thinking?!" signings...this guy has played for crennel before and my assumption is that this was a guy crennel wanted...so i have no problems with it

bigpoppachief
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
He is not a stats guy he is just a big bad black dude that eats up the middle of the field. IM telling you everyone will be pleasently suprised. He is no Wilvork but he will help fre up Dorsey and Jackson with Halie coming around the corner MAN I am excited. I remember watching a cleveland game cause my ex was from ohio and that guy just eating the middle up. He is not fancy but a good solid fill in player

honda522
03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Oh were excited, were just puzzled by Shaun Smith. He is often inured and like I said 2 career sacks in like 8 years.

Connie Jo
03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh good! I missed the news yesterday signing Shaun Smith was confirmed. I sorta felt bad for starting a thread based on early Facebook rumor, hahaha. I feel all better now, lol.
:yahoo: :chiefs:

yashi
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh good! I missed the news yesterday signing Shaun Smith was confirmed. I sorta felt bad for starting a thread based on early Facebook rumor, hahaha. I feel all better now, lol.
:yahoo: :chiefs:

Hey, maybe you should replace Adam Schefter on ESPN, being the first to break news and whatnot.

Seek
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
i would rather them make a few proficient signings than a ton of "what were you thinking?!" signings...this guy has played for crennel before and my assumption is that this was a guy crennel wanted...so i have no problems with it

How did Patriots build the team they have today. They didn't start out by buying the biggest named players IE Washington. They filled holes with role players and then drafted the talent to upgrade it.

They are not signing the expensive guys to sell tickets. They are building for the future.

Right now, they are signing competition and depth.

Coach
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Past experience with crennel was importance I'm sure. I hear smith is a motor mouth. If he talked less and played more, he wouldn't be bouncing around teams so much. So he's got talent, just needs to keep his mouth shut. I'm sure haley will help him with that. I'm betting he is the first guy in Haley's doghouse at OTA's.

Lazeye
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I would rather have no names and a superbowl then big fancy names and a playoff loss anyday.

Connie Jo
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey, maybe you should replace Adam Schefter on ESPN, being the first to break news and whatnot.

Would Adam have reported rumor and speculation though? Heck, if so...all he has to do is read related posts at Facebook, that ain't tough, hahaha. :D

Connie Jo
03-11-2010, 03:59 PM

REP! I agree! :)

Coach
03-14-2010, 12:22 PM
He is not a stats guy he is just a big bad black dude that eats up the middle of the field. IM telling you everyone will be pleasently suprised. He is no Wilvork but he will help fre up Dorsey and Jackson with Halie coming around the corner MAN I am excited. I remember watching a cleveland game cause my ex was from ohio and that guy just eating the middle up. He is not fancy but a good solid fill in player

Are you sure that you aren't thinking of Shaun Rogers? He is Cleveland's dominant NT.

Ryfo18
03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Are you sure that you aren't thinking of Shaun Rogers? He is Cleveland's dominant NT.

I was wondering the same thing...