PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Kevin Everett Has May Be Paralyzed

Sweets
09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Sometimes, we are all reminded in a very negative way that there are bigger things than football. While we get caught up in the emotion and love for the game, it's easy to forget exactly how dangerous it is. And in one blink of the eye yesterday, that reality came crashing down on the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos and every single NFL fan across the world.

Tight end Kevin Everett (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/KevinEverett/), who was covering a kickoff at the time, fell limp to the ground after a collision with the Broncos' Domenik Hixon (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/DomenikHixon/). Immediately, you knew it was bad -- unfortunately, it was a lot worse than anyone expected.

The good news is that Everett survived the emergency surgery to repair his broken and dislocated neck. The bad news is that the doctors had to remove his third and fourth vertebrae (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/removedhisthirdandfourthvertebrae/) before placing him on a respirator in intensive care. And the worst news is that, while he did have some "sparse movement," the risk of life-long paralysis is a very real and extremely disheartening reality.

"Obviously, we lost the game, but Kevin is critical to our team," added tight end Robert Royal. "We love him. We want to stand by him. That was the first thing Coach Jauron said when we came into the locker room. Our prayers go out to Kevin and his family."I think I speak for everyone here at FanHouse when I say our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/10/bills-kevin-everett-has-two-vertebrae-removed-may-be-paralyzed/

Canada
09-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I hate the team, but I don't wish that type of thing on anyone!! Hopes and prayers go out for his well being!!

DrunkHillbilly
09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Sucks!!!!! I was watching when that play happened and it just looked like a normal hit! Head up face first into the guys waist and boom!!!! Down he went. It looked bad from the first second, he never moved on his own. Too bad, hate to see a thing like that!

Chiefster
09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Sucks!!!!! I was watching when that play happened and it just looked like a normal hit! Head up face first into the guys waist and boom!!!! Down he went. It looked bad from the first second, he never moved on his own. Too bad, hate to see a thing like that!

Absolutely sucks! Anytime I see something like that my heart just goes out to the player and his family.

sling58
09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Never want to see another human being hurt in that way. God Speed Kevin!!

Chiefster
09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
It's been reported by local news outlets here that sadly doctors say that there is very little chance that he will walk again.

rbedgood
09-11-2007, 12:18 AM
It sounds like its still in the life-threatening mode...I pray that he walks again, but at the very least I pray that he will live.

Chiefster
09-11-2007, 02:49 AM
It sounds like its still in the life-threatening mode...I pray that he walks again, but at the very least I pray that he will live.

I pray the same.

chief31
09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Report on NFL Network says that he was voluntarily moving his arms and legs overnight. Appearently not alot, but certainly good to hear that he has some progress.

rbedgood
09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Report on NFL Network says that he was voluntarily moving his arms and legs overnight. Appearently not alot, but certainly good to hear that he has some progress.

That's awesome...this could turn from tragedy to feel good story if he walks again.

Canada
09-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Around here it sounds like they are trying to put a positive spin on a really bad situation. The voluntary movement was while he was sedated and he still is from what I understand. Still way to early to tell. They figure at least 3 days until all the swelling has gone down. I have alos heard that he has pneumonia on top of everything. Blood Clots/infection are the biggest concerns right now. Blood clot is what got the Late Great DT RIP. Hopefully is is better for Everett.

Chiefster
09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Around here it sounds like they are trying to put a positive spin on a really bad situation. The voluntary movement was while he was sedated and he still is from what I understand. Still way to early to tell. They figure at least 3 days until all the swelling has gone down. I have alos heard that he has pneumonia on top of everything. Blood Clots/infection are the biggest concerns right now. Blood clot is what got the Late Great DT RIP. Hopefully is is better for Everett.

Yup, no where near out of the woods yet; I wish him the very best.

rbedgood
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Great news...he still isn't out of the woods...my experience following surgery is infection issues/clotting issues surface between 24-48 hours (getting close)...

But it sounds like he'll walk again?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-everetthurt&prov=ap&type=lgns

royalswin100games
09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
From what I understand, they still have him on a ventilator. If he does survive, there could be a chance he may have to use a ventilator for the rest of his life with that type of injury. It's very unfortunate that something like that has to happen in the best sport in the world. Hopefully he has a full recovery.

Canada
09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
From what I understand, they still have him on a ventilator. If he does survive, there could be a chance he may have to use a ventilator for the rest of his life with that type of injury. It's very unfortunate that something like that has to happen in the best sport in the world. Hopefully he has a full recovery.

I think the ventilator is because he is heavily sedated. I don't know that for sure though

Chiefster
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Great news...he still isn't out of the woods...my experience following surgery is infection issues/clotting issues surface between 24-48 hours (getting close)...

But it sounds like he'll walk again?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-everetthurt&prov=ap&type=lgns

OUTSTANDING!!!

AkChief49
09-12-2007, 01:06 AM
watching espn tonight, they were saying it's not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" he walks again!!! awesome!!!

m0ef0e
09-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Awesome! I'm glad things are looking up for him and his family thus far. These types of injuries are the worst thing that can possibly happen in football. I feel for any guy that has to endure injury, but this could have stolen the rest of his life from him. It's a risk that people knowingly take (I would too), you just never want to see it happen.

Chiefster
09-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Awesome! I'm glad things are looking up for him and his family thus far. These types of injuries are the worst thing that can possibly happen in football. I feel for any guy that has to endure injury, but this could have stolen the rest of his life from him. It's a risk that people knowingly take (I would too), you just never want to see it happen.

I hate that it takes something like this to bring things into prospective.

m0ef0e
09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I hate that it takes something like this to bring things into prospective.

Absolutely. The competition is so intense even between fans in the NFL that too often the risk these guys are taking on the field is forgotten. It's a shame that it takes something like this to remind us sometimes. Winning a championship is the main focus but avoiding injuries like this during games and practice is the ultimate goal. It's so sad that some fans are so animalistic in nature that they stab people in the stands who are cheering for the other team.

rbedgood
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Absolutely. The competition is so intense even between fans in the NFL that too often the risk these guys are taking on the field is forgotten. It's a shame that it takes something like this to remind us sometimes. Winning a championship is the main focus but avoiding injuries like this during games and practice is the ultimate goal. It's so sad that some fans are so animalistic in nature that they stab people in the stands who are cheering for the other team.

Err...that team is in your division...black, silver, no class, and not worth mentioning.

m0ef0e
09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Err...that team is in your division...black, silver, no class, and not worth mentioning.

Yeah, the stupid Faders and Donks fans make it REAL easy to hate them both.

Chiefster
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, the stupid Faders and Donks fans make it REAL easy to hate them both.

Ahhh, the two teams one loves to hate.

rbedgood
09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
It has been a long time, but even the last couple years as my team sucked, I could go to a sports bar in Denver and get razzed for my 49er gear on a Sunday (I travel for work). Great thing is, I could just respond 55-10, and they all shut up...

Chiefster
09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
It has been a long time, but even the last couple years as my team sucked, I could go to a sports bar in Denver and get razzed for my 49er gear on a Sunday (I travel for work). Great thing is, I could just respond 55-10, and they all shut up...

Hehehe!! ...Like the way you think!