PDA

View Full Version : Lilja?

jtandcrew
03-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey all! I was wondering if there is anymore talks or rumors about Lilja coming to KC?

Coach
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
He's coming to arrowhead tomorrow.

DMN
03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I am eagerly anticipating this meeting... I think he wont leave KC without a contract.

KCINNYC
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
He will not leave KC with out a contract. My guess is this is a done deal by mid afternoon...

yashi
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
We're the obvious favorites to get him if we want him, given that he was born and raised in KC, and also went to college at K State.

Hopefully we get him. Then our offensive line could be considered set.

LT - Albert
LG - Waters
C - Wiegmann
RG - Lilja
RT - O'Callaghan

If we're moving to a true zone-blocking scheme, we may end up drafting a LT and moving Albert to RT, or simply drafting an athletic RT. O'Callaghan's a bit large and stationary.

Seek
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I had thought Lilja would have been off the market immediately after he was released. The fact it has been over a week and this is the first news I have heard of anyone interested in him, makes me think he either didn't have much interest or he had one place in mind..

There has only been one player so far that I know of who supposedly visted and didn't get a contract and that was Fargas... I am guessing this will be a done deal very soon and I am excited about the Chiefs moves. None of them have been huge named players, but so far, all have been necessary signing.

KCINNYC
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I had thought Lilja would have been off the market immediately after he was released. The fact it has been over a week and this is the first news I have heard of anyone interested in him, makes me think he either didn't have much interest or he had one place in mind..

There has only been one player so far that I know of who supposedly visted and didn't get a contract and that was Fargas... I am guessing this will be a done deal very soon and I am excited about the Chiefs moves. None of them have been huge named players, but so far, all have been necessary signing.

Thomas Jones was national news. He was the third leading rusher in the league last year.

kylebigmac09
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Any news on the meeting?

yashi
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Any news on the meeting?

Nothing yet. It's worth noting that Thomas Jones meeting was reportedly last Monday, and he wasn't signed until Tuesday.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-15-2010, 07:09 PM
I sure hope we land this guy!

Ldub
03-15-2010, 09:38 PM
*taps foot impatiently*

:banghead:

Sick Dog
03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Waiting for news so I did a search on him and they say he was cut because of injury and or over weight? But paid him his bonus?:sign0153:

kylebigmac09
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Waiting for news so I did a search on him and they say he was cut because of injury and or over weight? But paid him his bonus?:sign0153:
Yup a failed physical. His agent (of course) says he was cut because the Colts want to get bigger on the line. They did sign 2 big boy linemen in the last couple days, so it may have some merit.

So if we sign Lilja, is everyone off the Okung bandwagon? Or is everyone not sold on big Al at the LT position?
LT-Alberts
LG-Waters
C-Weigmann
RG-Lilja
RT-O'Callaghan

yashi
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Yup a failed physical. His agent (of course) says he was cut because the Colts want to get bigger on the line. They did sign 2 big boy linemen in the last couple days, so it may have some merit.

So if we sign Lilja, is everyone off the Okung bandwagon? Or is everyone not sold on big Al at the LT position?
LT-Alberts
LG-Waters
C-Weigmann
RG-Lilja
RT-O'Callaghan

I still wouldn't mind it if we took Okung and Albert played RT because Ryan O is a bit large and stationary for zone blocking. But I will say that with Lilja and Wiegmann, I'd be content with Albert at LT.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I still wouldn't mind it if we took Okung and Albert played RT because Ryan O is a bit large and stationary for zone blocking. But I will say that with Lilja and Wiegmann, I'd be content with Albert at LT.

Wiegmann is in no way a permanent solution.

And by the way, waters is no spring chicken.

However, the Wiegmann signing, in my opinion, means that they expect Washington to take Okung.

If we took Okung, it would be for him to play left tackle, thereby moving albert to left guard and waters to center. signing a center, in my opinion, means we are anticipating going a different route.

if okung is not there, i hope we are able to trade down.

chief31
03-16-2010, 03:47 AM
LT-Alberts
LG-Waters
C-Weigmann
RG-Lilja
RT-O'Callaghan

I am not on the Lilja bandwagon, myself. Never had to become a great run blocker, nor pass protector while playing in front of Payton Manning.

Manning does so many things to make his o-line appear better, that I don't trust Lilja to look the same in front of Cassel.

If we do sign him, I think that may well put to rest the idea that looking for a LOT early in the draft.

But I would not feel good about that decision.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Personally, I think they are signing 1-2 year solutions at positions so that they have an option if the draft doesn't fall their way.

right now, Washington could do almost anything. they have needs, they have trends, but with Shannahan there now, it really changes things.

He likes more agile, athletic linemen, so Okung might not even be his first choice. Who knows if he wants a QB, and Jimmy clausen is certainly more in the cutler mold than Bradford is. He has that kind of gutsy arrogance to him, though he doesn't have cutler's arm. He's never been afraid to throw deep though, and he's gotten better and better at it over the years.

Coach
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
===== QUOTE kylebigmac09 ====

LT-Alberts
LG-Waters
C-Weigmann
RG-Lilja
RT-O'Callaghan

===== /QUOTE ====

I am not on the Lilja bandwagon, myself. Never had to become a great run blocker, nor pass protector while playing in front of Payton Manning.

Manning does so many things to make his o-line appear better, that I don't trust Lilja to look the same in front of Cassel.

If we do sign him, I think that may well put to rest the idea that looking for a LOT early in the draft.

But I would not feel good about that decision.

I know this team needs help on the OL. But I think drafting a LT in the 1st rd sends a signal to Brandon Albert and the NFL that we've given up on him as a starting LT. I don't think that's fair. He hasn't played badly at all. The guys has been thrown to the wolves and asked to new play a new position. I think he will be fine at left tackle. By drafting a LT in the 1st rd, you are essentially drafting a Guard or a RT in the 1st rd because that is where you are movbing Albert when he doesn't need to be moved. I don't think we should spend the #5 pick on a Guard or OT. We can get a very good G or RT in rounds 2+.

This team needs to figure out how it is going to stop the run. They finished 31st in the league last year against the run. Draft NT, LB, or S. Don't move a good LT to another new position only to start the learning process again for both players. Makes no sense to me.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
He's signed, sealed and delivered!!!

jap1
03-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Im not convinced that he will automatically be our starter and that signing him solidifies B. Albert at LT. The only OG that is on our team as of today that was on the roster at the end of last season is B. Waters. We lost Smith, Goff and Alleman. Colin Brown was hurt before he could show if he was worth anything.

We need a lot of depth, and that may be all Lilja will be signed for. I can easily still see us drafting a LT and moving Albert or drafting a RG.

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Im not convinced that he will automatically be our starter and that signing him solidifies B. Albert at LT. The only OG that is on our team as of today that was on the roster at the end of last season is B. Waters. We lost Smith, Goff and Alleman. Colin Brown was hurt before he could show if he was worth anything.

We need a lot of depth, and that may be all Lilja will be signed for. I can easily still see us drafting a LT and moving Albert or drafting a RG.
Don't forget that Ndukwe started at OG for Miami. We tried making him a RT out of disperation.

yashi
03-16-2010, 01:59 PM
I seriously doubt the best OG on a Super Bowl team is here to be a backup.

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I seriously doubt the best OG on a Super Bowl team is here to be a backup.

Why would they release their BEST OG?

Canada
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Why would they release their BEST OG?

Stupidity?

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Stupidity?

Hopefully!

jap1
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Stupidity?

We are talking about the Colts, not the Raiders...

Canada
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
We are talking about the Colts, not the Raiders...

The new Colts, not the Dungy Colts. Their new Coach just sits onthe sidelines and watches Manning like the rest of us.

jap1
03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
The new Colts, not the Dungy Colts. Their new Coach just sits onthe sidelines and watches Manning like the rest of us.

Ahh, I see ... That is a pretty good view he has, and he doesnt even have to pay!!!

In all seriousness, I hope Lilja can prove to be a Pro-Bowl Caliber zone blocking RG. If so, that means we are set in that position for awhile now.

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
And since BW won't have to cover for Niswanger, his play will be better this year.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
The colts claim they want bigger O-lineman so they don't get dominated like they did against the saints. With Donald Brown, Mike Hart and Joseph Addai, they want to try and establish a power run game to complement manning's ridiculous passing game. Did you know they were the worst rushing team in the league in 2009?

Canada
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
The colts claim they want bigger O-lineman so they don't get dominated like they did against the saints. With Donald Brown, Mike Hart and Joseph Addai, they want to try and establish a power run game to complement manning's ridiculous passing game. Did you know they were the worst rushing team in the league in 2009?

They were second in the league in passing so I doubt they were running the ball that much.

chief31
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I know this team needs help on the OL. But I think drafting a LT in the 1st rd sends a signal to Brandon Albert and the NFL that we've given up on him as a starting LT. I don't think that's fair. He hasn't played badly at all. The guys has been thrown to the wolves and asked to new play a new position. I think he will be fine at left tackle. By drafting a LT in the 1st rd, you are essentially drafting a Guard or a RT in the 1st rd because that is where you are movbing Albert when he doesn't need to be moved. I don't think we should spend the #5 pick on a Guard or OT. We can get a very good G or RT in rounds 2+.

This team needs to figure out how it is going to stop the run. They finished 31st in the league last year against the run. Draft NT, LB, or S. Don't move a good LT to another new position only to start the learning process again for both players. Makes no sense to me.

I don't worry about "sending a message". Albert has played a pretty crappy LOT for two years. He was the best OG coming into the league, I'd rather have the best available at OG than pretty porr at LOT.

And as far as the "Essentially drafting an OG" concept, let's look at what position you are looking to draft. Rather you want a S, a LB or a NT, the player that is currently doing a poor job at that position, (equivelent to Albert) would likely become depth, or be released.

So, by that logic, by drafting at any of those positions, you are drafting depth players in the top five of the first round, or maybe even nothing at all, if we cut the previous player.

Therefor, when you tell me that I am essentially drafting a starting OG, I feel like the smartest guy in the world. Where you want to draft a backup or even nothing at all, I am getting a bonafide starter.

I am ok with that.

However, since we seem to be preparing to stick with the cheap-shot blocking scheme, and talent is irrelevant to blockers, Albert will be just fine.

They were second in the league in passing so I doubt they were running the ball that much.

Regardless of how often they ran the ball, when they did it, only The Chargers did it less effectively.

They had an average of 3.5 yards per carry. This ranked them ahead of only The San Diego Chargers. Out of 32 teams, they were ranked tied for 30th/31st.

yashi
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't worry about "sending a message". Albert has played a pretty crappy LOT for two years. He was the best OG coming into the league, I'd rather have the best available at OG than pretty porr at LOT.

And as far as the "Essentially drafting an OG" concept, let's look at what position you are looking to draft. Rather you want a S, a LB or a NT, the player that is currently doing a poor job at that position, (equivelent to Albert) would likely become depth, or be released.

So, by that logic, by drafting at any of those positions, you are drafting depth players in the top five of the first round, or maybe even nothing at all, if we cut the previous player.

Therefor, when you tell me that I am essentially drafting a starting OG, I feel like the smartest guy in the world. Where you want to draft a backup or even nothing at all, I am getting a bonafide starter.

I am ok with that.

However, since we seem to be preparing to stick with the cheap-shot blocking scheme, and talent is irrelevant to blockers, Albert will be just fine.

Regardless of how often they ran the ball, when they did it, only The Chargers did it less effectively.

They had an average of 3.5 yards per carry. This ranked them ahead of only The San Diego Chargers. Out of 32 teams, they were ranked tied for 30th/31st.

We'll have to agree to disagree about zone-blocking requiring talent. A 290 lb lineman can't power block, much like a 350 lb lineman can't zone block. It's a discussion for another thread...

But we agree about Albert. He's being paid a guard's salary to play LT, and when his contract rolls around again I don't want to have to dish out a monster deal just to keep him if he's playing mediocre LT. Pioli showed last year that he's all about positional value, so I have a hard time believing we'll take Berry, as much as I like him and have been pimping him all season.

Come April 22, I fully expect Bryan Bulaga to be a Kansas City Chief.

jtandcrew
03-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Im happy with this signing! Guess I dont need a update anymore! He was brought to our team during a line that moved and motioned! Looks like we are going back to it now! He is young and mobile! good sign imo!

AussieChiefsFan
03-17-2010, 02:08 AM
You know how I said I wasn't very familiar with Lilja and that I'm nuetral on the signing? Well after reading this article (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Insider-Blog-Full-Circle/432753f9-b85b-45a8-a270-6f6c11c9f1b6) I know the whole story about him being a former Chief back in his rookie year. Now that I know all about it I think it was a good signing.