PDA

View Full Version : Bowe is not a bust.

honda522
03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Dwayne Bowe Is Not A Bust | Arrowhead Addict | A Kansas City Chiefs blog (http://arrowheadaddict.com/2010/03/11/dwayne-bowe-is-not-a-bust/)

Good read.

Ryfo18
03-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I couldn't agree more with not giving up on Bowe. Completely illogical that some of the Chiefs faithful think this would be a good decision.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Don't know that he's a bust yet but he certainly has to prove his worth or he will be considered one very shortly and will be off this team.

Fansincebirth
03-14-2010, 02:27 PM
he was improving last year and was just starting to turn it on when he was suspended. That seemed to break the momentume and he had to start over. He will have a good year. Needs to stop trying to be a superstar and just catch the ball. Talent is there and Weis and Haley will bring it out. Bowes best year is here.

matthewschiefs
03-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I think hes not a bust but its time for him to break out if he is going to be a star. I look for big things from D Bowe this season.

honda522
03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I think hes not a bust but its time for him to break out if he is going to be a star. I look for big things from D Bowe this season.
I think it was hard for every player last year. New coaches, new schemes...maybe they didn't respect the coaches under Haley, and maybe they didn't even respect Haley last year, but Haley is earning the respect. I think Haley must have earned a little respect before the Denver game at the end of the year, cause they played their hearts out.

They had no reason to win, other than for Glory of the coach, themselves and beating a division rival and kicking them out of the playoffs.

This year is going to be a great year as long as Bowe wants to play and win. Charley Wiess

DC_Chiefsfan
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I've said this before, but once Bowe has his Alligator arms removed, he will be a star in this league. I believe he could be similar to Boldin if he works hard.

Coach
03-14-2010, 03:48 PM
He's got talent, just lacks consistency. He makes the impossible catches, then the next play he'll have one bounce of his numbers. I definitely wouldn't want to see him go though. It's hard enough finding good players in the draft without trading the ones that actually work out.

AussieChiefsFan
03-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I didn't think he was a bust anyway. I think he has real potential.

70 chiefsfan70
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I think it was hard for every player last year. New coaches, new schemes...maybe they didn't respect the coaches under Haley, and maybe they didn't even respect Haley last year, but Haley is earning the respect. I think Haley must have earned a little respect before the Denver game at the end of the year, cause they played their hearts out.

They had no reason to win, other than for Glory of the coach, themselves and beating a division rival and kicking them out of the playoffs.

This year is going to be a great year as long as Bowe wants to play and win. Charley Wiess

I have to agree!

matthewschiefs
03-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I cant wait to see what Charley wiess can do with him. Its going to be great i hope. GO CHIEFS

jacko58
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
im excited im a huge bowe fan hes gonna light it up this year, bowe chambers and long in the slot i think we do have a wr group thats gonna compete, plus have a great running duo we need to solidify our line and gotta get a tight end

Fansincebirth
03-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Bravo has to be the one of the top posts i have ever read here. Insiteful, truthful, and intelligent.

Connie Jo
03-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I've been excited about Bowe since the Chiefs drafted him, and I still have faith in him to develop into a top receiver. He has proven talent IMO, including stats to back it up, and I've seen him make some awesome catches/plays. He's still young. There have been many stressful & abnormal circumstances for the entire team to endure recently, that affected every player negatively in one way or another, some more than others depending upon position.

Once the Chiefs are back in sync as a normal functioning football team, including with traditional assistant coaching in place, O line improved, Cassell being allowed time he needs for more accuracy & control, fans not booing, etc....I'm hopeful Bowe will prevail along with the entire Chiefs team.

Reminders on Bowe prior to the shake up of CP resigning & the Chiefs team turned inside out more or less:

In his rookie season, Bowe led all first-year receivers in receptions (70), yards (995), and touchdowns (6). His reception and yardage totals set franchise records for Chiefs' rookie receivers. Bowe also set the team's single-game rookie receiving record with 164 yards against the San Diego Chargers (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/San_Diego_Chargers) on September 30, 2007. Bowe was in contention for the Rookie of the Year Award (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/Rookie_of_the_Year_Award) for his performance in 2007 (the award was eventually given to Minnesota Vikings (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings) halfback (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/Halfback_(American_football)) Adrian Peterson (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/Adrian_L._Peterson)).

In the Chiefs first game of the 2008 season (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/2008_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season), Bowe recorded five receptions for forty–nine yards, but he also dropped 4 passes, including a game–tying catch in the endzone on first and goal.[4] (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/#cite_note-Blame_Bowe_and_Carl_for_this_loss-3) He went on to obtain 1,022 yards receiving and ended the season 10th in the NFL with 86 receptions (the same number of receptions Jerry Rice had in his second year, though he earned more yards). In his last game of the 2008 season Bowe gained 103 yards with 10 receptions.

We all know what happened in 2009, haha. :)

Xanathol
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Per ProFootballFocus, Marques Colston dropped 10 balls this season - would you call him a bust? Bowe dropped 9, btw.

slimdagreat
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't think he's a bust, but I do think we need an insurance plan past this season.

honda522
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Per ProFootballFocus, Marques Colston dropped 10 balls this season - would you call him a bust? Bowe dropped 9, btw.
Colston was also a seventh round pick..vs Bowe being a first round who should burn almost everyone.

bwilliams
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Colston was also a seventh round pick..vs Bowe being a first round who should burn almost everyone.

Bowe isn't a burner/athletic receiver. He a nice big possession one. Think Terrell Owens, not Randy Moss.

Bowe has been a fine 1st round pick. He's played with a bunch of noodle-armed QBs and two OCs in three years. He still a 1000 yard receiver. What were you expecting? Give Cassel an OL to make him a real QB. Give Bowe a real QB and he's a pro bowler.

honda522
03-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Bowe isn't a burner/athletic receiver. He a nice big possession one. Think Terrell Owens, not Randy Moss.

Bowe has been a fine 1st round pick. He's played with a bunch of noodle-armed QBs and two OCs in three years. He still a 1000 yard receiver. What were you expecting? Give Cassel an OL to make him a real QB. Give Bowe a real QB and he's a pro bowler.
Its not the YAC, its actaully catching the ball. He should have very low drops.

Bowe's problem is he wants to show off before he does anything.

kckidd8870
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM
He will have a good year in 2010.Get Shipley to play slot Reciever.Then you will have Bowe,Chambers Shipley,Charles and Jones,and a much improved O-line.Can you say playoffs.Fix a few holes on D-Fense.We will be fine Chiefs Fans.Write my prediction down.10-6 and beat everyone in are division twice baby.Write it down.

whatwasthat?
03-23-2010, 12:07 PM
He will have a good year in 2010.Get Shipley to play slot Reciever.Then you will have Bowe,Chambers Shipley,Charles and Jones,and a much improved O-line.Can you say playoffs.Fix a few holes on D-Fense.We will be fine Chiefs Fans.Write my prediction down.10-6 and beat everyone in are division twice baby.Write it down.

realistically...i dont see us sweeping every team in our division...maybe the raiders...but sweeping the chargers is a stretch...

kckidd8870
03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree,if D-Bowe will just go out and do his job.Not try to be this big star.Just play the game and make his catches.Not try to be some kinda super star.He will be really good.Maybe even the star he wan'ts to be.He is pressing to much and trying to be this cool guy.Call yourself the Show.Will this is the Show-me state.So show us Bowe.Make us believers.I know you can do it and you know you can do it.So Show me .GO CHIEFS

kckidd8870
03-23-2010, 12:55 PM
That is alot of these athletes problems now days.There egos get in the way.Not enough hard work and dedication.There not as dedicated any more.They want the money but don't want to show up on game day.For that matter don't want to do what it takes to prepare themselfs.They think they are better than everyone.That is why some of the average player end up being better,because they have to work harder at it.The one's that are naturally gifted atheletes stomble some times.They don't think they have to work to get better.

Ryfo18
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
That is alot of these athletes problems now days.There egos get in the way.Not enough hard work and dedication.There not as dedicated any more.They want the money but don't want to show up on game day.For that matter don't want to do what it takes to prepare themselfs.They think they are better than everyone.That is why some of the average player end up being better,because they have to work harder at it.The one's that are naturally gifted atheletes stomble some times.They don't think they have to work to get better.

Good post. I can think of 3 guys without huge egos who are in the top 10 (maybe 5) of WRs:

1.) Larry Fitzgerald
2.) Andre Johnson
3.) Anquan Boldin

All of these guys are workhorses. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind if your ****y like Ochocinco, but put in the same amount of work as him to get to his level.

Fansincebirth
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Boldin has the ego he just goes out and backs it up

Ryfo18
03-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Boldin has the ego he just goes out and backs it up

Ehh it's not as bad as some though. He gets a bad rap b/c he wanted to get paid the same as Fitz, which he did deserve. I love how he was going to try to play the week after he broke his jaw and they had to take his stuff out of his locker.

Fansincebirth
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
That is the best thing about him. His toughness and the fact that even though he wasn't really happy there he went out and played his heart out every week.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Ehh it's not as bad as some though. He gets a bad rap b/c he wanted to get paid the same as Fitz, which he did deserve. I love how he was going to try to play the week after he broke his jaw and they had to take his stuff out of his locker.
Hate to disagree again but IMO Boldin doesn't deserve the kind of money Fitz got. The reason....his style! He is a beast across the middle thereby leading to injury. A LOT of injuries! He has been taken out of more games due to injury than you could imagine. I love the guy don't get me wrong but he is simply not the threat that Fitz is. This is why he didn't get the money he wanted from Az OR Baltimore. I would bet he doesn't play in all 16 this year either based on past history. He is a bit of a cry baby but plays the game like it should be played and is incredible off the field with the community.

Hayvern
03-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Well back to Bowe, I don't think he is a bust in terms of being a quality receiver, but he is not playing up to what we had all hoped would have been the value of a first round pick.

I am also a little more than miffed at him for his substance abuse, he knows better than that, and these guys have probably forgotten more about conditioning than most of the rest of us will ever know. He should have been able to meet his goals without using a substance.

Bowe put up some good numbers, but think about the numbers he would have had without all the drops. Now I have gone on the record defending Bowe's numbers before, but this last season was really going over the top.

The thing to remember is this, when we had Gonzales, there was almost guaranteed to be a double team on him, teams had to do it. Now, we really do not have a receiver of that calibre, so if a team double teams Bowe or Chambers, then it is pretty much a done deal that nothing is going to happen on the pass play. Additionally, when we had Johnson running the ball, most teams just had to double up on him to shut down the run. In which case, the pass got even tougher because there was no real threat running the ball.

With Charles running, teams will have to take us a little more seriously now, give Cassel a little more time and that should allow Chambers to break away from a double team and hopefully allow the slower Bowe to properly position himself.

I think this year will be a better year for our receivers if they can hang on the ball when thrown to them.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Well back to Bowe, I don't think he is a bust in terms of being a quality receiver, but he is not playing up to what we had all hoped would have been the value of a first round pick.

I am also a little more than miffed at him for his substance abuse, he knows better than that, and these guys have probably forgotten more about conditioning than most of the rest of us will ever know. He should have been able to meet his goals without using a substance.

Bowe put up some good numbers, but think about the numbers he would have had without all the drops. Now I have gone on the record defending Bowe's numbers before, but this last season was really going over the top.

The thing to remember is this, when we had Gonzales, there was almost guaranteed to be a double team on him, teams had to do it. Now, we really do not have a receiver of that calibre, so if a team double teams Bowe or Chambers, then it is pretty much a done deal that nothing is going to happen on the pass play. Additionally, when we had Johnson running the ball, most teams just had to double up on him to shut down the run. In which case, the pass got even tougher because there was no real threat running the ball.

With Charles running, teams will have to take us a little more seriously now, give Cassel a little more time and that should allow Chambers to break away from a double team and hopefully allow the slower Bowe to properly position himself.

I think this year will be a better year for our receivers if they can hang on the ball when thrown to them.
I personally don't think he will ever live up to the expectations that some had for him on or off the field. He is a showboater and wants to be on SportsCenter every night! He gets alligator arms on catches in the middle therefore leading to a lot of those dropped balls.

Now with the addition of a couple more decent receivers, I expect him to be crying about lack of catches before the season is over. I hope I'm wrong here but this just seems like the path he is on to me. He has the talent for certain and could be a great threat but until he gets the Ochocinco out of his head, he will continue to be avg at best IMO.

yashi
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
At least the guy is legitimately talented, unlike many of our early picks in recent memory: Ryan Sims, Sylvester Morris, Eddie Freeman, Junior Siavii, etc. Haley just needs to get his head right and he'll be fine. It's hard to complain that much about 2606 yards and 16 TDs through 3 seasons.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
At least the guy is legitimately talented, unlike many of our early picks in recent memory: Ryan Sims, Sylvester Morris, Eddie Freeman, Junior Siavii, etc. Haley just needs to get his head right and he'll be fine. It's hard to complain that much about 2606 yards and 16 TDs through 3 seasons.
Not hard to complain about all the dropped balls that could have boosted those numbers and more importantly won several more games for the Chiefs though.....just sayin.