PDA

View Full Version : defense,defense,defense.

jpkchiefs
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
our chiefs must get better on defense if were going to take the afc west crown. im thinking with the resent additions to the offense. pioli may be looking to get some defensive help in the draft. atleast im hoping so.. berry #1 mount cody #2a spikes #2b then start adding gaurd center type players in rounds 3 and 4

honda522
03-14-2010, 01:55 PM
As I agree, we need to also focus on offense, because we were worst on 3rd down conversions and I believe we were also the team with the most 3 and outs.

It doesn't sound like it would affect the defense but it does. They are out there, then they are back out there in a few mins after they stopped a long drive.

Time of possession for our offense is futile.

matthewschiefs
03-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Pass rush pass rush pass rush to me thats the main need on d. if we get a pass rush the rest will look better.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I believe that we have made some strides to our Oline already and will address them more in the draft. Offensively, we need a playmaking WR (a burner) and a reliable handed TE. Special teams, we need a guys like Arenas from Alabama (love that guy!) and defensively we could use another lineman, an ILB and a Strong safety. If we can obtain those 5 starters through the draft and free agency, we will already be twice the team we were in 09.

Coach
03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Pass rush pass rush pass rush to me thats the main need on d. if we get a pass rush the rest will look better.

I think it all starts with stopping the run. The last 5 weeks of the season the Chiefs gave up 1024 yards.

And it was aginst 3 teams that didn't even make the playoffs. Denver, Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincy.

The Chiefs ranked 31st in the league against the run last year. Why would teams pass when they could gouge us for a 4.7yd/att. season average?

This team needs a NT and thumper ILB to stop the run way worse than we need an OLB or DE to rush the passer.

KottkeKU
03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
im with you OP, its time this DEF in Kansas City starts getting nasty. BER-RY BER-RY BER-RY

i actually thought the offense was pretty good the last few weeks of the season? having a rushing attack really helps lol. We do need another receiver who actually catches the ball though. The line just needs more experience, and to get better. maybe another body or two would certainly help. Most drops in the NFL = you need receiving help. That can come from WR, but I would LOVE to grab the TE from USC in round 4....i think he is just all that and a bag of chips....

I will echo everything Coach said too. a NT and ILB would do wonders for the defense and ultimately team....

Coach
03-14-2010, 04:19 PM
our chiefs must get better on defense if were going to take the afc west crown. im thinking with the resent additions to the offense. pioli may be looking to get some defensive help in the draft. atleast im hoping so.. berry #1 mount cody #2a spikes #2b then start adding gaurd center type players in rounds 3 and 4

I would be OK with that draft. :mel:

If Iupati somehow fell to our 2a pick, then you'd have to take him. Then come back and get a NT with 2b.

pbatrucker
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Too many people want Berry.
A few facts. No safety taken in the top ten in the last 20 years has performed as projected. The last safety drafted in the top ten that was a consistant probowler was 1987 and that was Rod Woodson, who didn't become a stud until he was switched to CB.
Now if you really want to take a risk of setting the rebuilding process back 4 or 5 years, lets draft Berry.

AussieChiefsFan
03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I just want them to take Berry with #1

Coach
03-14-2010, 05:29 PM
A few facts. No safety taken in the top ten in the last 20 years has performed as projected. The last safety drafted in the top ten that was a consistant probowler was 1987 and that was Rod Woodson, who didn't become a stud until he was switched to CB.
Now if you really want to take a risk of setting the rebuilding process back 4 or 5 years, lets draft Berry.
Besides the fact that the money for the #5 draft spot would also make him the highest paid safety in the league without having played a single snap.

70 chiefsfan70
03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Besides the fact that the money for the #5 draft spot would also make him the highest paid safety in the league without having played a single snap.

Berry would be the highes paid in his position,but IMO also would be the biggest and best game changer the chiefs could pick up.

I wouldn't have a problem with Okung, Bulaga, or McClain( If we don't get McClain we'll be playing against him every time we play the donkeys)

Fansincebirth
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
befor you get all excited about that there have only been 9 in the last 20 years. Most of which have had great careers. 18 pro bowls, 2 def. rockie of the year, and 4 of them have less than 4 years in the league. Two died in their prime. Dont let blind stats fool you. The success rate of a top 10 safety is much higher than at QB. If our QB situation was as bad as our saftey situation was last year, you wouldnt be saying "dont take a chance on Bradford or Clauson. You also wouldnt be worried that he would get top money for never taking a snap. BTW this should show us all the importance of having a rookie cap.

jacko58
03-14-2010, 09:17 PM
im up for us taking a play maker, i want berry then draft needs behind, gotta get a inside linebacker and a nose tackle, if we pick up lilja i get the feeling we won't take a o linemen with the first. i say get a o lineman steal later in the draft get us two good defensive guys and a tight end

Fansincebirth
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
like to see berry first and with any luck we could get pouncy with 2a and Cam Thomas with 2b but dont think they will be there for those picks

Connie Jo
03-14-2010, 11:05 PM
As I agree, we need to also focus on offense, because we were worst on 3rd down conversions and I believe we were also the team with the most 3 and outs.

It doesn't sound like it would affect the defense but it does. They are out there, then they are back out there in a few mins after they stopped a long drive.

Time of possession for our offense is futile.

Agree!

honda522
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Berry would be the highes paid in his position,but IMO also would be the biggest and best game changer the chiefs could pick up.

I wouldn't have a problem with Okung, Bulaga, or McClain( If we don't get McClain we'll be playing against him every time we play the donkeys)
Thats why we need try to either trade out of the top 5 or never play that bad again.

kckidd8870
03-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't care how they do it.Just build a championship D-fense Baby.Trade out of the 5 spot draft lower and get Mt. Cody and pick up another draft pick.Then get the best ILB with like Spikes 2a 2b get the best wr available.I don't care what anyone thinks.Call me crazy but I really like Dez Briscoe at 2b.If we trade out of the 5 spot we might even get another second pick.That would be cool.

bwilliams
03-15-2010, 12:30 AM

Sean Taylor was well on his way until his unfortunate death.

KottkeKU
03-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Taylor was an amazing player, and the only other one drafted top 10 i can think of in the last while (Michael Huff) was on the Raiders, who are terrible. Its a QB league now, and a game changing safety like Reed, Polamalu, 09 Sharper, etc, combined with a good defensive line and decent offense+rushing attack will win championships, its that simple...

And you know he would dominate the QBs in our division...

pbatrucker
03-15-2010, 07:17 AM
befor you get all excited about that there have only been 9 in the last 20 years. Most of which have had great careers. 18 pro bowls, 2 def. rockie of the year, and 4 of them have less than 4 years in the league. Two died in their prime. Dont let blind stats fool you. The success rate of a top 10 safety is much higher than at QB. If our QB situation was as bad as our saftey situation was last year, you wouldnt be saying "dont take a chance on Bradford or Clauson. You also wouldnt be worried that he would get top money for never taking a snap. BTW this should show us all the importance of having a rookie cap.
Would you mind naming those that have had great careers. No safety drafted in the top ten in last 20 years has gone on to have a GREAT career.

pbatrucker
03-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Sean Taylor was well on his way until his unfortunate death.

It was his off the field issues that lead to his death. He was promising, but we'll never know how good he could have been.

matthewschiefs
03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
It was his off the field issues that lead to his death. He was promising, but we'll never know how good he could have been.

Taylor had cleaned up his life. His death was a home invasion. He was in bed sleeping were he should have been. IT was a sad sad story.

Fansincebirth
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Would you mind naming those that have had great careers. No safety drafted in the top ten in last 20 years has gone on to have a GREAT career.
Mark Carrier, Eric Turner, Charles Woodson, Roy L Williams, Sean Taylor, and Donte Whitner, Michael Huff, LaRon Landry have just started their careers. Like I said, Much better success rate than Quarterbacks.

pbatrucker
03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Mark Carrier, Eric Turner, Charles Woodson, Roy L Williams, Sean Taylor, and Donte Whitner, Michael Huff, LaRon Landry have just started their careers. Like I said, Much better success rate than Quarterbacks.

I don't see anyone on that list that have been great players. I believe woodson is a CB.