PDA

View Full Version : I think Hali is going to break out next season in a big way

yashi
03-15-2010, 06:37 PM
ProFootballFocus.com - By Position (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OLB4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

According to this, he was 2nd in the league among 3-4 OLBs in QB pressures to only DeMarcus Ware, who is pretty good at football. It's pretty impressive when you consider that teams didn't have to pass on us all that often last year because we gave up so many yards on the ground. He was also the only real threat we had, so teams could lock onto him. Still, he somehow got to the QB so often, coming up just short of a sack MANY times.

I think next year he's definitely going to have double digit sacks for the first time in his career, and a Dumervil-like breakout isn't impossible. I'm excited! I can't even imagine how well he'd do with another threat on the other side to free him up a bit.

loyalchief91
03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I could see it happening.

honda522
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
If he wasn't held so much, he would of had more.

70 chiefsfan70
03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
I believe you are right on, especially if our NT can give a good push up the middle.

Go CHIEFS!!!!!

Coach
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Good call. I think he will benefit greatly with the upgrade of talent around him.

Ldub
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Hali and Flowers are the only non-worries I have on D.

hometeam
03-15-2010, 10:36 PM
hali played well last season considering all new scheme etc.

Hes primed to wreak some havoc this year

kylebigmac09
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Needs good NT pressure to free him up

KottkeKU
03-16-2010, 02:22 AM
hali, flowers, dorsey, jackson, all will have breakout seasons....

we still need a safety, nose tackle, and another linebacker in there to really set this defense off though....

AussieChiefsFan
03-16-2010, 03:04 AM
ProFootballFocus.com - By Position (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OLB4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

According to this, he was 2nd in the league among 3-4 OLBs in QB pressures to only DeMarcus Ware, who is pretty good at football. It's pretty impressive when you consider that teams didn't have to pass on us all that often last year because we gave up so many yards on the ground. He was also the only real threat we had, so teams could lock onto him. Still, he somehow got to the QB so often, coming up just short of a sack MANY times.

I think next year he's definitely going to have double digit sacks for the first time in his career, and a Dumervil-like breakout isn't impossible. I'm excited! I can't even imagine how well he'd do with another threat on the other side to free him up a bit.

I could see it happening.
I agree. I think he's great player and he has real potential!

Hayvern
03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Needs good NT pressure to free him up

Well in all fairness it is a combined effort from all the Defensive line players. Hali lines up on the outside, he is a speedster which means that he needs the guys on the outside, Dorsey and Jackson to step up their play a lot more as well. We need a couple of these players to require a double team to open up the lanes for the linebackers.

So while a good nose tackle will help that situation, it will not fix it alone unless Jackson and Dorsey really pick up their presence too.

slimdagreat
03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Call me devils advocate here, but take away the Denver game and his ranking on that site goes from 10th to 22nd.

KottkeKU
03-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Call me devils advocate here, but take away the Denver game and his ranking on that site goes from 10th to 22nd.

Devil's Advocate : )

(great movie btw)

....I still don't really think its fair to judge anyone on this team based on last year. We are going to be such a different team this year, last year will look completely different. I KNOW this. Last year was to rebuild and get pieces in place, i really feel like we are just one more year away from having all said pieces.

On the other side of that coin is the fact that the games against Denver were big games for us, especially the last game because i believe if there is any portion of the Chiefs 2009 that they can be judged on, its the last half-3/4 of the season when they actually got a chance to know the system..

This is also another huge reason why i give Brandon Albert a pass on last season. You can't expect him to do very well in a system he started learning since the 3rd preseason game, LJ in the backfield, no defense, less than 10 games experience (he missed some his rookie year due to injury), and a new QB. If you look at his stats from the last 8 games, he is a completely different player. Now do i think he is the next hall of fame LT? No. Not yet anyways lol...

In the latter portion of the season, they weren't *just* trying to see what they had to work with (like they were doing the first few), but they were actually going out there trying to win.

Tamba has shown he is capable of playing 3-4 OLB. I think he is only going to get better as the pieces around him continue to get better. Its really that simple : )

Devils Advocate lol. Can we draft Keanu Reeves no.5 overall? He could play the nose for us....he could play it well.

slimdagreat
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Devil's Advocate : )

(great movie btw)

....I still don't really think its fair to judge anyone on this team based on last year. We are going to be such a different team this year, last year will look completely different. I KNOW this. Last year was to rebuild and get pieces in place, i really feel like we are just one more year away from having all said pieces.

On the other side of that coin is the fact that the games against Denver were big games for us, especially the last game because i believe if there is any portion of the Chiefs 2009 that they can be judged on, its the last half-3/4 of the season when they actually got a chance to know the system..

This is also another huge reason why i give Brandon Albert a pass on last season. You can't expect him to do very well in a system he started learning since the 3rd preseason game, LJ in the backfield, no defense, less than 10 games experience (he missed some his rookie year due to injury), and a new QB. If you look at his stats from the last 8 games, he is a completely different player. Now do i think he is the next hall of fame LT? No. Not yet anyways lol...

In the latter portion of the season, they weren't *just* trying to see what they had to work with (like they were doing the first few), but they were actually going out there trying to win.

Tamba has shown he is capable of playing 3-4 OLB. I think he is only going to get better as the pieces around him continue to get better. Its really that simple : )

Devils Advocate lol. Can we draft Keanu Reeves no.5 overall? He could play the nose for us....he could play it well.

I agree that Tamba can and should get better as he gains more experience in teh 3-4 and has both a competent coaching staff and talented teammates around him.

My point was that you can't take his numbers from last season as a whole and say he was dominant when he was really average for 15 weeks and dominant 1 week.

Vandelay
03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree that Tamba can and should get better as he gains more experience in teh 3-4 and has both a competent coaching staff and talented teammates around him.

My point was that you can't take his numbers from last season as a whole and say he was dominant when he was really average for 15 weeks and dominant 1 week.
He was not dominant, but he was very good most the year. If you watched all the games he played well. If he wasn't getting held every single play he would have had a lot more sacks. Maybe this year the refs will give him a fair shake.

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
I have to say you figure the guy is only gonna get better, especially if as the Dline matures.

Pro_Angler
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
I was really concerned with all the miss tackles on QB's he had last season that gave up big plays when he had QB's dead to rights. i hope that changes and he will be a stud IMO..

DC_Chiefsfan
03-18-2010, 01:14 PM
This will be his second season in a 3-4 plus he's got Crennel coaching him up! Hali is definitely going to step it up and have a big year!