PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sign Ryan Lilja

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Source Kent Babb via Twitter:

Chiefs confirm that Ryan Lilja has signed.

Another solid piece to the puzzle that is this team :bananen_smilies046:

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 02:50 PM
That is good news. Now lets go after Davis or Morrison.

yashi
03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Booya, starting RG. Hope his knee is good to go.

Another former Chief rejoins us.

moshak
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
our offensive line is basically set-
albert
waters
wiegman
lilja
callaghan

yashi
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
LT - Albert
LG - Waters
C - Wiegmann
RG - Lilja
RT - O'Callaghan

That feels good to type. For the first time in a while, I'm already happy with our offensive line going into next season if in its current state. Any improvement from here on would just be icing on the cake.

Coach
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Nice!! Makes taking a LT in the 1st rd less likely.

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
We still need depth at OT, look for some one like Calloway to be drafted on the third or forth round,

Sick Dog
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Here comes Berry.

Canada
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Nice!! Makes taking a LT in the 1st rd less likely.

I'm think Im gonna jump on the Berry bandwagon now that we are addressing the O line issues!!

PawnshopMarimba
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm think Im gonna jump on the Berry bandwagon now that we are addressing the O line issues!!

Welcome aboard! Feel free to chant.

Canada
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM

Berry!! Berry!! LJ is a fairy!!
Berry!! Berry!! Chiefs are gonna be scary!!

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM

The last time Canada got on a bandwagon it was a disaster.
:bananen_smilies046:

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm glad to have him on the team, but I'm not really that excited. He's pretty undersized for a guard, listed at 6'2" 290lbs. I think that directly relates to his struggles in run blocking, and why the Colts ultimately released him. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but I have my doubts.

yashi
03-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm glad to have him on the team, but I'm not really that excited. He's pretty undersized for a guard, listed at 6'2" 290lbs. I think that directly relates to his struggles in run blocking, and why the Colts ultimately released him. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but I have my doubts.

Zone blocking requires smaller, quicker linemen than power blocking. All those years the Broncos had 1000 yard rushers with random backs under Shanahan they ran a zone blocking scheme with 290 lb lineman across the board. If Lilja were 6'5" 340 lbs, I doubt we would have been interested. I'm excited for zone blocking.

OPLookn
03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm still high on drafting Okung if he's still around. Waters is getting the point of retiring soon and when he does my thought is slide Albert over and put Okung in at LT. This will give him a year to learn/compete with Albert and if Albert loses out then we've got a back up. Not only that but it gives us depth if Weigman or Waters would go down.

Canada
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
The last time Canada got on a bandwagon it was a disaster.

Was it that stupid LJ train? **** LJ

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Was it that stupid LJ train? **** LJ

Yea, A lot of us got caught on that one.

Canada
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Yea, A lot of us got caught on that one.

I only got on it so I could try and drive it inot a wall anyways!! :D

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I only got on it so I could try and drive it inot a wall anyways!! :D

You did a hell of a job then. Congrats!

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Zone blocking requires smaller, quicker linemen than power blocking. All those years the Broncos had 1000 yard rushers with random backs under Shanahan they ran a zone blocking scheme with 290 lb lineman across the board. If Lilja were 6'5" 340 lbs, I doubt we would have been interested. I'm excited for zone blocking.

Point taken. I knew we were running a zone blocking scheme towards the end of last year, but had no idea if it would continue next year, let alone what it even is.

I'm still confused as to how this can be effective when he's going head to head with a 350 lb. NT, but I'll trust you for now.

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm still confused as to how this can be effective when he's going head to head with a 350 lb. NT, but I'll trust you for now.

Ok, Wikipedia cleared it up some for me. Sounds like it relies on a lot of double teams initially and then breaking off to take out linebackers. I'm really simplifying it, but hey, I hope it's effective.

josh1971
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM

I agree- I think now, with the free agency moves getting made for O-line, we need to address the safety gap, and then add depth to the O-line in the draft.

Shaping up nicely so far this off season!!!!

Canada
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Point taken. I knew we were running a zone blocking scheme towards the end of last year, but had no idea if it would continue next year, let alone what it even is.

If he is up against a NT, he wont be alone in blocking him!! I think he is lighter because they use a lot of pulling guards and speed is an asset as much as size. Just a guess

pbatrucker
03-16-2010, 03:41 PM

AP had a post last week I believe, that exsplained ZB releally well. You should be able to find it in the archives.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok ok ok, we're all happy. Losing Lilja was one of many Carl Peterson blunders, and strangely enough one that he admitted was a mistake.

Having a probowl center and a super bowl starting right guard is definitely an upgrade, even if it's an upgrade over our backups.

However, I am still not on the the Berry Bandwagon. I have two reasons why:

1. Waters is getting old, and Wiegmann is old. In the next two years, both will likely need to have replacements.

2. Albert was one of the worst left tackles last year for allowing sacks. He gave up nine. i'm not saying he sucks, but we should not, in any way, feel that we are "set" at any position on the offensive line.

3. At the fifth pick, Berry would command 11 mil a year, making him the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN THE LEAGUE without ever playing a snap in the NFL. that means we could sign Polamalu, reed, Sanders, Dawkins, Rolle, anyone...and it would have been cheaper. It's just bad business. Even if berry comes in, and from day one, is the BEST safety in the league...he still would be overpaid for his position.

If Okung falls, you draft him. If he is gone, you look to trade out.

Our options:

1. trade down
2. our highest rated left tackle
3. second highest rated LT

hometeam
03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
yay lilja! Im getting excited with our offseason so far, so whens the season start? :P

bigpoppachief
03-16-2010, 03:51 PM

For sure !! Eric Berry will look awesome as a CHIEF

Hayvern
03-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Ok ok ok, we're all happy. Losing Lilja was one of many Carl Peterson blunders, and strangely enough one that he admitted was a mistake.

Having a probowl center and a super bowl starting right guard is definitely an upgrade, even if it's an upgrade over our backups.

1. Waters is getting old, and Wiegmann is old. In the next two years, both will likely need to have replacements.

2. Albert was one of the worst left tackles last year for allowing sacks. He gave up nine. i'm not saying he sucks, but we should not, in any way, feel that we are "set" at any position on the offensive line.

3. At the fifth pick, Berry would command 11 mil a year, making him the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN THE LEAGUE without ever playing a snap in the NFL. that means we could sign Polamalu, reed, Sanders, Dawkins, Rolle, anyone...and it would have been cheaper. It's just bad business. Even if berry comes in, and from day one, is the BEST safety in the league...he still would be overpaid for his position.

Our options:

1. trade down
3. second highest rated LT

I have to go along with this. The signing of Lilja did a lot to bolster this offensive line and I like the idea, but we are not in a position to say this is done yet.

While I am not going to turn down Berry if we get him, and it looks more like we might take him with the moves we are making, I believe that Pioli is going to think long and hard before spending that kind of money on a safety.

I am actually leaning toward the Nose Tackle bandwagon at this point. I anticipate that is the direction we will go this draft more and more.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Like the off season moves but I am still VERY concerned with the LEFT side of our line. Waters and Albert were piss poor last season. That side IMO is much more important than the right side of the line.

captainamerica
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM

The Chiefs still have a decent amount of cash to spend. If we were to draft Berry we could sign him to a long term deal, paying him a lot up front and very little through the remainder of his deal. This would benefit the Chiefs organization throughout the future and would be another building block towards assembling a winning team and a winning franchise. Berry will undoubtedly be the best player available when we pick if he's still there and he fits a team need. To me the choice is clear; Berry is our man.

chief31
03-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok, Wikipedia cleared it up some for me. Sounds like it relies on a lot of double teams initially and then breaking off to take out linebackers. I'm really simplifying it, but hey, I hope it's effective.

What is seldom included is the fact that, with undersized o-linemen, blocking low (below the waist) is quite common, as the players are overmatched by bigger, stronger defenders.

The result, when employing the Shanahan "zone-blocking" is a regular execution of high risk double team blocks, with one blocker going low, and another going high. This is also illegal, but very difficult to watch for. And is not neccessarily an intended effect, yet a known factor.

The refusal to get players that can stand toe-to-toe with big defenders and actually better the opponent, for a plan that is duck and undercut superior players is chicken-s**t.

Once we have injured a few players around the league, the rest of The NFL will learn to fear the cheapshot from us, and defenses will not be able to play the same against us.

It is what made The Broncos so detestable. And now we are all gonna to have to flip-flop and start trying to defend being the scumbags of the league.

I am guessing that that will start right here.

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
What is seldom included is the fact that, with undersized o-linemen, blocking low (below the waist) is quite common, as the players are overmatched by bigger, stronger defenders.

The result, when employing the Shanahan "zone-blocking" is a regular execution of high risk double team blocks, with one blocker going low, and another going high. This is also illegal, but very difficult to watch for. And is not neccessarily an intended effect, yet a known factor.

The refusal to get players that can stand toe-to-toe with big defenders and actually better the opponent, for a plan that is duck and undercut superior players is chicken-s**t.

Once we have injured a few players around the league, the rest of The NFL will learn to fear the cheapshot from us, and defenses will not be able to play the same against us.

It is what made The Broncos so detestable. And now we are all gonna to have to flip-flop and start trying to defend being the scumbags of the league.

I am guessing that that will start right here.

So we should expect a lot of chop block penalties nonetheless huh?

I agree, I'd rather have a huge OL that punishes and wears down the other team's DL. I want an OL that can push the DL backwards, especially in short yardage situations.

jacko58
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
i love this signing were gonna take berry with our first draft a nt a te then draft o lineman behind them

chief31
03-16-2010, 05:16 PM
So we should expect a lot of chop block penalties nonetheless huh?

I agree, I'd rather have a huge OL that punishes and wears down the other team's DL. I want an OL that can push the DL backwards, especially in short yardage situations.

Interior chop blocks are not only difficult for refs to see, but they are not something that The NFL has shown much concern for because the players who get hurt are generally defensive linemen that few people really concern themselves with. If the result was alot of injuries to "glory positions" like QB, WR or RB, then there would be a far greater emphasis on it.

So, while we won't see alot of flags, as a O-line watcher, I will see a whole of penalties being comitted. And a likley increase of injured opponents.

Chiefs in Serbia
03-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Great news, I think that now complete our OL, and i thin'k we will not draft in 1 st round LT!!!

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Interior chop blocks are not only difficult for refs to see, but they are not something that The NFL has shown much concern for because the players who get hurt are generally defensive linemen that few people really concern themselves with. If the result was alot of injuries to "glory positions" like QB, WR or RB, then there would be a far greater emphasis on it.

So, while we won't see alot of flags, as a O-line watcher, I will see a whole of penalties being comitted. And a likley increase of injured opponents.

I understand your concern, but a zone blocking scheme isn't equatable with chop blocking. Like you said, the SHANNAHAN zone blocking scheme. Well, that's shannahan. He doesn't run the only zone scheme in the league.

Zone blocking is just that - zone. You are not responsible for a specific player, so you don't have linemen who get turned around trying to "find their guy". This greatly diminishes a defense's ability to create mismatches along the front.

there are a number of teams who run a zone blocking scheme, yet you never hear anything about them being dirty. The broncos had dirty players coached by dirty coaches. You can double team defenders going side to side, you don't have to go high low. You can also go high low without going below the knee, and staying at the waist. the problem with the broncos was that they were TOLD to break the rules and go for the knees. INSTRUCTED TO TAKE OUT THE KNEES. It is illegal and dangerous.

In short, zone blocking does NOT equal dirty blocking.

matthewschiefs
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
more help for the O line thats a good thing. GO CHIEFS

buffman316
03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
This should open of the welcome wagon for Eric Berry! Also, it is really nice to see you guys type that O Line. Do it again! it is great!

kckidd8870
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Great job pioli.We can really work on the D-fense in the draft.I say Berry if we go D-fense and Dez Bryant if we go offense.Could you see Dez Bryant,D-Bowe,Chambers,JC,and Jones.Sounds like A great offense to me.If you go the other way with it.I mean on the D-fense.Adding Berry and MT Cody.That would be great improvement to the D-fense.Just my input.Anyway it will be interesting come draft day.Go Chiefs

kckidd8870
03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe even add Shipley or Dez Briscoe to the mix in like the third round of the draft.Could you See two Dez's on the team.Dez Bryant and Dez Briscoe.Anyway,just another thought.Probably wont happen.lol

slimdagreat
03-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Actually his strength is run blocking, not pass blocking.

KCINNYC
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I understand your concern, but a zone blocking scheme isn't equatable with chop blocking. Like you said, the SHANNAHAN zone blocking scheme. Well, that's shannahan. He doesn't run the only zone scheme in the league.

Zone blocking is just that - zone. You are not responsible for a specific player, so you don't have linemen who get turned around trying to "find their guy". This greatly diminishes a defense's ability to create mismatches along the front.

there are a number of teams who run a zone blocking scheme, yet you never hear anything about them being dirty. The broncos had dirty players coached by dirty coaches. You can double team defenders going side to side, you don't have to go high low. You can also go high low without going below the knee, and staying at the waist. the problem with the broncos was that they were TOLD to break the rules and go for the knees. INSTRUCTED TO TAKE OUT THE KNEES. It is illegal and dangerous.

I still hate the Broncos.

Ryfo18
03-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Actually his strength is run blocking, not pass blocking.

I have a hard time believing that. Mostly because the Colts are one of the top passing teams, but were 31st in ypc and dead last in rushing yards. It seems illogical to release a good run blocker when that is obviously not their strong point.

This is why in my opinion, I would have to think that Lilja is a good pass blocker because his size allows him to be a liitle more agile than most, but also prevents him from being a decent run blocker than can push large interior linemen back. Now this is all just the logic running through my head, I've never watched him play, so my assumptions could very well be wrong.

honda522
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Seems like we still need a true left tackle. Not that Alberts bad, he just isn't suited for it.

slimdagreat
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a hard time believing that. Mostly because the Colts are one of the top passing teams, but were 31st in ypc and dead last in rushing yards. It seems illogical to release a good run blocker when that is obviously not their strong point.

This is why in my opinion, I would have to think that Lilja is a good pass blocker because his size allows him to be a liitle more agile than most, but also prevents him from being a decent run blocker than can push large interior linemen back. Now this is all just the logic running through my head, I've never watched him play, so my assumptions could very well be wrong.

I've watched quite a few Colts games and I think he is a much better run blocker than a pass blocker, but I'll qualify it by adding the Colts are a largely zone blocking OL when it comes to running the ball, so in actuality you may be right.

70 chiefsfan70
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
For sure !! Eric Berry will look awesome as a CHIEF

I'm really hoping for Berry, many on here think he will get paid to much, there is not another player out there that would make a bigger and better immediate impact than Berry would. We have to give the money to someone, or trade spots.

Theres nothing that hurt us more last year than the big plays down the field.

Argo
03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Why do ppl believe that we wont draft a LT because of Lilja? The way I see it, we draft Okung or Bulaga with our first, that way our Oline will look like these:

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
LG- Waters
C - Wiegmann
RG - Lilja
RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything oes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
LG- Albert
C - Wiegmann (if hes still around)
RG - Lilja
RT -A mature and Better O'Callaghan

KCINNYC
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Why do ppl believe that we wont draft a LT because of Lilja? The way I see it, we draft Okung or Bulaga with our first, that way our Oline will look like these:

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
LG- Waters
C - Wiegmann
RG - Lilja
RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything oes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
LG- Albert
RG - Lilja

Exactly.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Hopefully we can trade down with someone, picking up a second or third.

I would love to see us go offensive line twice in the first three rounds, but Wiegmann might have been brought in to prevent that. Still, let's not forget how many vets have been brought in and let go. Casey Wiegmann could easily be this year's zac thomas.

LT- Okung - Bulaga
LG- Albert
C - Pouncey
RG - Lilja

AussieChiefsFan
03-17-2010, 12:53 AM
OK since i've just gotten home from school and I've missed the past 49 posts of this thread, I'm just gonna ask. Who thinks this was a good move? I hadn't heard of the guy before sunday so I haven't made a decision yet.

DMN
03-17-2010, 01:12 AM

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
LG- Waters
C - Wiegmann
RG - Lilja
RT - Albert

LT- Okung - Bulaga
LG- Albert
RG - Lilja

Wiegman is more likely to retire... He will be 37 before opening day. Waters is 33... he could play for a few more years for sure. I think that wiegmann is a very temporary solution...

Stumplifter
03-17-2010, 01:16 AM
I still hate the Broncos.

For some reason that made my day, just put a big old smile on my face. Kudos.

Chiefster
03-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Welcome home Lilja!

OPLookn
03-17-2010, 01:29 AM

LT- Okung/ Bulaga
LG- Waters
C - Wiegmann
RG - Lilja
RT - Albert

Water´s will retire after this seasson, he cant play forever. and then in 2011 if everything goes well you have:

LT- Okung - Bulaga
LG- Albert
RG - Lilja

So two seasons at LT then move him to a completely different position of RT for a year (RT is completely different from LT) and then back over to left side to play guard? I would be shocked and dumb founded if this actually came to pass.

If I had my pick...

LT - Okung/Bulaga
LG - Albert/Waters
C - Weigmann/Waters
RG - Lilja
RT - O'Callaghan or 4th/5th round draft pick

This would give us a lock down left side with a right side that has room to grow. Just my two cents, then again ask 5 people a question and you'll get 6 answers. :efpge:

chief31
03-17-2010, 03:47 AM

Every blocking scheme in the NFL would actually qualify as a zone blocking scheme.

If the defenders stunt, a man blocking scheme would be ruined every play.

The thing that worries me the most is the undersized olinemen. Since they clearly aren't able to overpower the far stronger, bigger defenders, the only way to be effective is to block low.

Once one blocker decides he has to go low, his help will often be too close to change his mind.

I agree that Shanahan's Broncos were sometimes deliberately looking to injure opponents. But employing the miniature o-line seriously increases the risk of injury to the opponents.

The game is dangerous enough without taking advantage of reluctant, and blinded referees.

I have feared this move for quite some time. I am not about to abandon The Chiefs. But I will be very watchful of what this o-line does this season.

PawnshopMarimba
03-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Ba ha ha ha! Epic win.

AussieChiefsFan
03-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Oh man that deserves REP!:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs:

endzonewillie
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Our options:

1. trade down
3. second highest rated LTNothing personal but I am glad Pioli and Haley are doing our draft and not you. With that said I am not on the Berry wagon but more along the lines of trying to pick up a good CB or even a WR for our number one pick. With all the dropped balls a high ranged WR would be good for me. FA is still rolling along and we could end up picking someone up in both of the positions. If Sharper is still available , maybe he would be a good pickup for Safety? Doing something like that would leave other positions open for the draft. As for my picks, I like to be closer to the draft date before I nail down my picks which normally do not match anything Pioli has done at NE or here last year. Maybe that is why he makes the big bucks .

moshak
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
waters and albert will be just fine, please dont worry about things that dont need worrying. The will be good and the right side is defintely the problem. Callaghan is not who i want as a starter. Thank God we got ryaan lilja as a RG. Now we can get a center in the draft

Canada
03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
waters and albert will be just fine, please dont worry about things that dont need worrying. The will be good and the right side is defintely the problem. Callaghan is not who i want as a starter. Thank God we got ryaan lilja as a RG. Now we can get a center in the draft

Center in the drat? We got Weigann. Berry or NT in the draft!!

Drunker Hillbilly
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
WHAT??? Did you watch even 1 game last year? The left side of the line was dominated all year long!

kcnation
03-17-2010, 11:59 PM
i love the lilja signing,its absolutly headed in the right direction.....like others have said,now we might be able to look at the draft in another direction

bwilliams
03-18-2010, 12:06 AM
My biggest hope is that the Redskins are dumb enough to pass on Clausen at #4. If they do, I'd bet we can trade down with the Bills to the #9 spot and get Berry there.

endzonewillie
03-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Center Chris Weigmann who is a former Chief has come home from the Donkers to finish his career with the best team in the league.