PDA

View Full Version : DT Gerald McCoy KC #5 pick?

endzonewillie
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Per the Bleacher report,
2010 NFL Mock Draft V. 3: Browns Pass on Sam Bradford, Dez Bryant Goes South | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/364358-2010-nfl-mock-draft-v-3-browns-pass-on-bradford-dez-bryant-goes-south)
No. 5 – Kansas City Chiefs – Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
The Chiefs could go with Berry here, but instead GM Scott Pioli decides to solidify the middle of his defensive line for the foreseeable future.

I am ok with this because he is a huge man inside a line needing just that however, that is a new man trying to stop the best RBs in the world each week . He could be a good pick for us as it has been a need for our DL for some time now.
How does everyone feel towards this pick?

yashi
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I think it would make no sense because we've taken defensive ends in the top 5 the past two years. McCoy is a DE in a 3-4.

endzonewillie
03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I think it would make no sense because we've taken defensive ends in the top 5 the past two years. McCoy is a DE in a 3-4.
They do have him listed as DT but, I didn't pay much attention to the Oklahoma State defense . I am assuming by your reply he is from a 4/3 scheme instead of 3/4.

yashi
03-17-2010, 11:42 AM
There are only a few college football teams who run any 3-4, Oklahoma not being one of them. But McCoy is like 6'4" 295 or something, so he is not big enough to play nose tackle. He is actually similar to Glenn Dorsey in play style in that he's a penetrator type DT. He best fits in a 4-3. If we took B.J. Raji last year to play NT, McCoy would have been the perfect pick this year in Jackson's place.

captainamerica
03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I doubt very seriously that McCoy will fall to us. I don't forsee the Lions and Bucs both passing on him. If he is available though and Berry is as well, I'd go with Berry as he fits a team need.

Chief Tyler
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I doubt very seriously that McCoy will fall to us. I don't forsee the Lions and Bucs both passing on him. If he is available though and Berry is as well, I'd go with Berry as he fits a team need.

With how much more Okung's stock has gone up since the combine, the Lions could very well be targeting him, and with all signs pointing to Bradford at the one spot, the odds of McCoy falling past the 5 spot are actually really high.

endzonewillie
03-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Romeo Crennel was at the Berry Pro day and while doing drills with Romeo Berry limped off the field after his second run through then returned with ankle supports and tennis shoes on as well as showing a limp. Last thing we need is to draft a bust with our first pick whether he fits or not.

pbatrucker
03-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Romeo Crennel was at the Berry Pro day and while doing drills with Romeo Berry limped off the field after his second run through then returned with ankle supports and tennis shoes on as well as showing a limp. Last thing we need is to draft a bust with our first pick whether he fits or not.
I'm not in the Berry camp, but come on. Berry hit a hole on the practice field and sprained a big toe. In a Game they would they would tape it and he would keep playing. He was taken out of the drills simple as a precaution. No big deal.

AussieChiefsFan
03-18-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm not in the Berry camp, but come on. Berry hit a hole on the practice field and sprained a big toe. In a Game they would they would tape it and he would keep playing. He was taken out of the drills simple as a precaution. No big deal.
I am more than ever! I think drafting would be a great move!!! As I've already said in other threads! :D :chiefs:

pbatrucker
03-18-2010, 05:37 AM
I am more than ever! I think drafting would be a great move!!! As I've already said in other threads! :D :chiefs:

I want be disappointed if we do draft him. He is a good player and could help us. But then again so could Okung, McClain or Williams. Personnaly I think it will be another surprise just like last year. Maybe Graham, OLB, Michigan/

AussieChiefsFan
03-18-2010, 05:48 AM
I want be disappointed if we do draft him. He is a good player and could help us. But then again so could Okung, McClain or Williams. Personnaly I think it will be another surprise just like last year. Maybe Graham, OLB, Michigan/
Last year Aaron Curry (who I really wanted them to draft (kinda like Eric berry this year)) or Brian Cushing would have been a better choice than Tyson jackson, although I think Tyson Jackson IS a pretty good player and he'll be a good one in the future. But If they don't draft Eric Berry (which I'm hoping doesn't happen! Fingers crossed!) I'd definately want Okung!

pbatrucker
03-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Okung could be the choice if he drops to us. The Chiefs aren't showing to much interest in him, so it could be who they are targeting.

endzonewillie
03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I had posted this before I found out he hit the hole. I am not saying I am on the Berry wagon but if they did draft the boy I would not be upset at all. I agree with you that it should be another year of surprise as to who pioli will go with. The way he is using FA this year I totally trust what he will do.
I do think that we will most likely choose some type of defensive player and more to the point a DB. Which position I am not sure of though.

Coach
03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
The smart boring pick is LT to protect your QB and give yourself some OL depth and have a transition plan in place for when Waters gets hurt this season.

The "Win Now" pick is NT, LB because they are the biggest positions of need.

The "Glamour" pick is Eric Berry because a he's supposed to be great, but safeties are never drafted in the Top 5. There has never been a SS drafted in the Top 5 of a NFL draft. Sean Taylor was drafted as a FS. 1st round safeties haven't been a lock by any stretch either. Take a look for yourself:
National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft - by Position (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=S&type=position)

Not to mentioned that the shelf life of a starting safety in the NFL is about 8 years.

whatwasthat?
03-18-2010, 10:22 PM
The smart boring pick is LT to protect your QB and give yourself some OL depth and have a transition plan in place for when Waters gets hurt this season.

The "Win Now" pick is NT, LB because they are the biggest positions of need.

The "Glamour" pick is Eric Berry because a he's supposed to be great, but safeties are never drafted in the Top 5. There has never been a SS drafted in the Top 5 of a NFL draft. Sean Taylor was drafted as a FS. 1st round safeties haven't been a lock by any stretch either. Take a look for yourself:
National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft - by Position (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=S&type=position)

Not to mentioned that the shelf life of a starting safety in the NFL is about 8 years.

i would be for EB being a center fielder type FS(ie sharper at NO) and moving page to SS (he has the build for it)

jason1981
03-18-2010, 11:10 PM
they say Erica Berry can play any DB spot even CB. so you cant say SS never drafted in the top 5 because he could play any DB position. i think i would rather have page at SS and Berry at FS. Berry has more range and better instincts i believe.

Coach
03-18-2010, 11:26 PM
they say Erica Berry can play any DB spot even CB. so you cant say SS never drafted in the top 5 because he could play any DB position. i think i would rather have page at SS and Berry at FS. Berry has more range and better instincts i believe.

:efpge:
Yes I can. He's entering the draft a Safety, not as a CB. Besides the fact that this team would not be using him as a CB.

jason1981
03-18-2010, 11:34 PM
yes you can but i think we would play him at FS. If he shows that he is football smart he would be worth it. He would be the leader and QB of the defense. which we really need. no one on our defense really scares me. yes we have some good players but nothing to be scared about.