PDA

View Full Version : I think we miss Tony Gonzalez

jason1981
03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
watching the begining of this video makes me miss watching him.

NFL Videos: Tony Gonzalez in studio (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81707008/Tony-Gonzalez-in-studio)

Coach
03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
TG will miss the Chiefs this year when we make the playoffs and the Falcons miss again.

jason1981
03-18-2010, 11:02 PM
yea and maybe after this year he will come back to the chiefs. i think next year he will be a unrestricted free agent.

honda522
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't feel sorry for him now The Falcons were not a contending team. Sure, they became good over night. He should have gone to either the Colts, Saints, or a real contending team.

honda522
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
This could be the best team I have ever been on.

Shut up Tony, Kansas City is the only team you been on and ATL isn't a real team like what you with.

Falcon fans only love you cause your good. Who pays you to talk?

jason1981
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
That is just Tony supporting his team and teammates. Also Tony didnt have a choice in which team he would be traded to really. Atlanta is or atleast was futher along in their rebuilding stage then we were. Atlanta is a perty good team. Im not to sure if we could beat them right now. If Turner can be like his break out year again, then they could be contenders. They goot Daunte now to as well . so if their defense can get an upgrade and Turner runs like he can. They will make the playoffs next year. I dont blame him one bit. I still think him as a chief and watch him still.

Ryfo18
03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
That is just Tony supporting his team and teammates. Also Tony didnt have a choice in which team he would be traded to really. Atlanta is or atleast was futher along in their rebuilding stage then we were. Atlanta is a perty good team. Im not to sure if we could beat them right now. If Turner can be like his break out year again, then they could be contenders. They goot Daunte now to as well . so if their defense can get an upgrade and Turner runs like he can. They will make the playoffs next year. I dont blame him one bit. I still think him as a chief and watch him still.

He did have some say. I don't miss a guy that wanted to leave. Yes, he was great when he was with us--the greatest TE of all time. I don't miss him now though.

jason1981
03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
well im perty sure we would have won one or two more games if he was still with us. so you might not but the chiefs did miss him. think about all the dropped balls that could have went his way instead.

matthewschiefs
03-19-2010, 12:19 AM
I do miss Tony and wish he could have stayed a chief But he wanted to move on And thats that. I dont care if the falcons win or lose but I do like to see that Tony did well still.

Chiefster
03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
I do miss Tony and wish he could have stayed a chief But he wanted to move on And thats that. I dont care if the falcons win or lose but I do like to see that Tony did well still.

Yup, I don't think I do; I do.

KCSDFAN
03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm sure Tony misses KC right now especially since he didn't make the Pro Bowl. I guess he just wasn't good enough in the NFC.:chiefs:

AussieChiefsFan
03-19-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm sure Tony misses KC right now especially since he didn't make the Pro Bowl. I guess he just wasn't good enough in the NFC.:chiefs:
IN Atlanta they have other offensive weapons (in receiving) like roddy white so he passed to less.

Yeah, the first time he didn't make the pro bowl in about 10 years!

yashi
03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Later on in that show they asked TG to pick a sleeper Cinderella team for next season. He picked the Falcons. They said they don't count since they were in the playoffs 2 years ago. He said, "I'm picking them anyway." I was slightly offended. That was his perfect chance to give some props to his old team.

honda522
03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't think ATL will make the playoffs this year, and I think the Chiefs will make it. I would put money on that.

Boobcrack
03-19-2010, 12:08 PM
I miss Tony. He is the Joe Montana of TE's. The G.O.A.T.! Yes he did go to another team, but like all things nothing lasts for ever.

Canada
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Later on in that show they asked TG to pick a sleeper Cinderella team for next season. He picked the Falcons. They said they don't count since they were in the playoffs 2 years ago. He said, "I'm picking them anyway." I was slightly offended. That was his perfect chance to give some props to his old team.

I always heard stories about TG being a bit of an A$s, seems like it might be true. I understand why you would say ATL but I think he does not want to say KC because that would be admitting he made a mistake by leaving!! :chiefs:

matthewschiefs
03-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I always heard stories about TG being a bit of an A, seems like it might be true. I understand why you would say ATL but I think he does not want to say KC because that would be admitting he made a mistake by leaving!! :chiefs:

I have heard that 2 from a few people. But then you here stories the other way like when he saved that charger fan who was chokeing (insert chargers chokeing joke here) hard to tell unless you no the guy i guess.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-19-2010, 12:14 PM
While I have never met TG personally, I have exchanged words with him on twitter. He has always replied to any post I have initiated to him and has always been cordial. Even asking questions back at times...

Canada
03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
While I have never met TG personally, I have exchanged words with him on twitter. He has always replied to any post I have initiated to him and has always been cordial. Even asking questions back at times...

I just go by what I have heard around town when i am in KC. Like matthew said, I don;t know him nor have I had any contact with him so I don't really know. I haven't even Twittered him, or tweeted him, or skyped him, or e mailed him, or googled him, but he does not play for the Chiefs so I dont really care who he thinks is a sleeper team!!

Canada
03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
...actually I did google him once, just to get some stats.

Ryfo18
03-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Really? I've sent him a couple messages but never heard anything back. Anyways, TG is gone, I'm over it and on board with the people on the team now.

Canada
03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Really? I've sent him a couple messages but never heard anything back. Anyways, TG is gone, I'm over it and on board with the people on the team now.

thats cause you aren't drunkhillbilly. He Twitters everybody!!

KottkeKU
03-19-2010, 12:54 PM
ive actually met Tony G a few times. He is a class act, and nothing mean about him. A good friend of mine from highschool washed his windows, and now Tony has gone into business with his company in the KC area expanding them. My friend got to watch a few games in Tony's suite with his family, and he even gave him free tickets to Ku vs. MU two years in a row...in HIS suite.

And i remember trick or treating at his place one year, and he answers the door... looks like 8 ft. tall at least, got gorgeous girls all over the place. I think he gave me some really good candy too lol...Just a total badass in every sense of th word. Hes a real nice guy, anyone who says tony was an *** probably got him in his last few years in KC when he wanted to be on a winning team (deservedly so) LOL

josh1971
03-19-2010, 01:50 PM
He wanted to be traded so HE could get a ring. For that, I miss only his ability to make plays.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
thats cause you aren't drunkhillbilly. He Twitters everybody!!
....everybody but you.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I asked him about Pro Science product the first couple of twwets and then 2 other times asked him about Atlanta and missing KC. He was pretty cool from what I got back. I did also have a little interaction with him here in Az when the Superbowl was here. He was just coming off the Jim Rome show I think. He stood around and talked with some fans that were there. Maybe 10 mins. answering questions and signing autographs. I had forgotten about this but my son reminded me.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-19-2010, 02:35 PM
He wanted to be traded so HE could get a ring. For that, I miss only his ability to make plays.
Can't blame him for that after all of the years he spent here trying to help this team. His career is about over and I don't mind if ANY player does this after 10+ years of trying with 1 team.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I just go by what I have heard around town when i am in KC. Like matthew said, I don;t know him nor have I had any contact with him so I don't really know. I haven't even Twittered him, or tweeted him, or skyped him, or e mailed him, or googled him, but he does not play for the Chiefs so I dont really care who he thinks is a sleeper team!!
Ya I don't really give a rats *** who he picks either.

Canada
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
....everybody but you.

I don't want you to twitter me, I like girls!!

Drunker Hillbilly
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't want you to twitter me, I like girls!!
You just don't know me!:whipping1:

Connie Jo
03-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I hope Tony get's a SB ring prior to his retiring. I would've preferred he had done it as a Chief, but it wasn't meant to be, for whatever reason. I'm not gonna judge him, he gave KC & us fans the best of his career...he has earned a right to achieve the only accomplishment he for the most part has remaining prior to his retiring...a SB Ring. May not happen, but he deserves the chance, wherever he feels that may be. :)

endzonewillie
03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
The guy didn't give the change a chance and now he is kicking himself in the rear end over it. Atl could win it all in the next SB. I doubt it but it could happen. (Was that a pig I just saw fly by the window?)

Connie Jo
03-19-2010, 11:15 PM
The guy didn't give the change a chance and now he is kicking himself in the rear end over it. Atl could win it all in the next SB. I doubt it but it could happen. (Was that a pig I just saw fly by the window?)

I disagree somewhat...he did give change a chance, over & over again. He was told what we fans were told by CP every year for 4-5 years...we're rebuilding.

I'm not sure we'd be seeing Clark become quite as aggressive as he did last season, asking for CP's resignation, hiring Pioli, etc....had it not been for the Chiefs franchise losing money. For the first time in a very long time...Chiefs fans were jumping ship, more or less...ticket sales were down, merchanidising was down...all aspects of profit down by a great margin.

Tony likely assumed nothing would change, as it hadn't for years...same ol same ol.

Consider this as well...we don't know all the facts, only what we're told. It might not have been 'ALL' Tony making the decision to leave the Chiefs. He's loyal to the Hunt's, they've been good to him, and he will indeed retire a Chief when he does retire. Had the Chiefs organization been blamed publicly for losing the teams most popular player with fans...it would've made fans that much more frustrated and angry with the front offices than they already were. Possibly Tony did the Hunts & Chiefs organization a return favor...agreeing to be the Fall Guy, so to speak. Never know, anything is possible behind the scenes in the NFL.

PS: If Chiefs fans have a right to be frustrated and stop supporting, such as not buying tickets to the games, nor merchandise, yearning for a Super Bowl...doesnt Tony have that same right of frustration and yearning...no? :)

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
03-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Tony was great but i don't miss him! It was clear he wanted out thats what he got!!!

tornadospotter
03-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Who is this Tony? Is he a current Chief? If not, I do not care. :thumbdown:

Drunker Hillbilly
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Who is this Tony? Is he a current Chief? If not, I do not care. :thumbdown:
I don't believe you. You will always be a TG fan as well you should.

tornadospotter
03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't believe you. You will always be a TG fan as well you should.
When he wears the Red and Gold again, then I will forgive him, and be a fan of him again.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-20-2010, 12:08 PM
When he wears the Red and Gold again, then I will forgive him, and be a fan of him again.
I guess his committment to us wasn't enough for ya huh? Can't fault a guy towards the end of his career wanting to get a chance at a ring can ya?

tornadospotter
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I guess his committment to us wasn't enough for ya huh? Can't fault a guy towards the end of his career wanting to get a chance at a ring can ya?
No I can not fault him for wanting a chance at a ring. I do respect what he accomplished as a Chief. He should still be a Chief!

matthewschiefs
03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
No I can not fault him for wanting a chance at a ring. I do respect what he accomplished as a Chief. He should still be a Chief!

This is why I am still a TG fan. You see guys that its clear that they are just playing for the money. Tony is a guy who wants a ring. I can't say i blame him for wanting out. Its easy for us to sit here and say he should have given things a chance we are not him or playing in the NFL. I can't be to upset for a guy wanting to win. And with as long as he was here hereing time and time again how we just need a couple more years. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

However I won't sit here cheering for the Falcons. I don't care if they win or lose. If they were in the super bowl I would cheer for them as long as they were not playing the chiefs. But we a going to the next 30 super bowls so I won't be able to cheer for Atlanta sorry Tony. :D

AkChief49
03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll bet Barry Sanders wanted a ring, but he stayed in Detroit.

Chiefster
03-20-2010, 09:10 PM

This is a true statement, and a point well taken. However, I really don't see it making one any better then the other. I'm sure Barry Sanders got paid handsomely for staying in Detroit.

honda522
03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
This is why I am still a TG fan. You see guys that its clear that they are just playing for the money. Tony is a guy who wants a ring. I can't say i blame him for wanting out. Its easy for us to sit here and say he should have given things a chance we are not him or playing in the NFL. I can't be to upset for a guy wanting to win. And with as long as he was here hereing time and time again how we just need a couple more years. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

However I won't sit here cheering for the Falcons. I don't care if they win or lose. If they were in the super bowl I would cheer for them as long as they were not playing the chiefs. But we a going to the next 30 super bowls so I won't be able to cheer for Atlanta sorry Tony. :D

Players should also be playing for fun to.

Connie Jo
03-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Yes he did, and he suffered emotionally as a result of making that choice, as he stated in his own words in his book.

Possibly Tony read Barry's book, or talked to him personally about his decision to stay with a losing Lion's team. Possibly Tony didn't want to end up like Barry...with regrets. Keep in mind, the Chiefs weren't loyal doing what they could have, or should have on behalf of not only the fans to win, but not for those players like Tony who had remained loyal to the Chiefs for most of his career, and in his prime. :)

Here is an article about it:

Several years after retirement, and repeated refusals to discuss the abruptness of it, Sanders finally admitted that the culture of losing in the Lions' organization was too much to deal with even though he said that he could still play. He explained that it robbed him of his competitive spirit, and he saw no reason to believe things were going to improve. He also stated that there were tears in his eyes as the Lions lost the final game of his career the season before he left, because he knew in his heart he was never going to play another NFL game - "I sobbed for 3 months."

Sanders' retirement came somewhat unexpectedly and was a matter of controversy. Two years beforehand, Sanders had renewed his contract with the Lions for $35.4 million over six years with an 11 million signing bonus. When he retired with several years left on his contract, the Lions demanded that he return $7.3 million of the bonus.

Sanders refused, and the Lions sued and eventually won a judgment against him. On February 15, 2000, arbitrator Sam Kagel ruled that Sanders was in default of his bonus agreement and owed $5.5 million plus interest over the next three years.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Sanders only played for 10 years. This will be TG's 13. He deserves to be able to go to a playoff team to try and get a shot at the title. Plus, I don't necassarily think a ring was the most important thing to Sanders. Look how he just walked away.

Connie Jo
03-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Sanders only played for 10 years. This will be TG's 13. He deserves to be able to go to a playoff team to try and get a shot at the title. Plus, I don't necassarily think a ring was the most important thing to Sanders. Look how he just walked away.

I agree...I don't think a SB ring was important to Sanders, rather what was important...a competitive winning attitude & effort by the Lions organization...if one is to take him at his word. He clearly was beaten down emotionally with consistent loss...and he lost his spirit & desire to play. He walked away as if he didn't care, because he didn't care any more.

tornadospotter
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Barry Sanders, was and is one of the greatest running backs that ever played the game of football. His retiring and walking away, 10 years of what he did, with the want to be lions, I am sure that he was beat down physically and emotionally. He just said :wtfdude:
I am not going to become a Chief!
:sAng_scream:so I will retire.

Connie Jo
03-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Barry Sanders, was and is one of the greatest running backs that ever played the game of football. His retiring and walking away, 10 years of what he did, with the want to be lions, I am sure that he was beat down physically and emotionally. He just said :wtfdude:
I am not going to become a Chief!
:sAng_scream:so I will retire.

I agree he's one of the best RB's to ever play the game! He's a native Kansan too!
:yahoo:

chief31
03-21-2010, 02:12 AM

Connie addressed it pretty well.

Barry didn't just leave the team. He left the game, very prematurely, as opposed to leaving the team.

Would we feel better about Tony retiring, as opposed to going somewhere where the immediate future looked brighter?

I hold nothing against him in that decision, myself.

Coach
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
KC wins 2-3 more games last season if they have TG. So they finish with 6-7 wins. Let's say ATL loses 2 more games w/o TG, so they finish the season with 6-7 wins w/o him. Lots of postulating in that example but my point is that the teams aren't that far apart.

Which team has done more to improve itself in the 2010 offseason? In my mind KC wins that one by a landslide with the addition of crennel, weis, Jones, lilja, and others.

I think TG made a shortsighted decision by asking for a trade. Don't tell me you went to Atlanta because you wanted a ring. If you wanted a chance at the playoffs, maybe. But a ring, no way.

Tell me who will win the Superbowl next year, I'll bet you even money that you are wrong. Pick any team, I'll take the bet. There's just too many variables during the course of an NFL season.

Was ATL better than the Chiefs heading into last season, yes. Were they a favorite to win a superbowl, not hardly. So he left to go play for a team that MIGHT make the playoffs, but had very little chance of winning a SB.

Overall, I think if TG had it to do all over again, he would have stayed in KC. I think KC, TG, ATL(and their 2nd pick) all would have been better off.

Will LT win a ring in NY? I say no, and I'll take any even money bets that claims otherwise.

Drunker Hillbilly
03-21-2010, 01:26 PM
KC wins 2-3 more games last season if they have TG. So they finish with 6-7 wins. Let's say ATL loses 2 more games w/o TG, so they finish the season with 6-7 wins w/o him. Lots of postulating in that example but my point is that the teams aren't that far apart.

Which team has done more to improve itself in the 2010 offseason? In my mind KC wins that one by a landslide with the addition of crennel, weis, Jones, lilja, and others.

I think TG made a shortsighted decision by asking for a trade. Don't tell me you went to Atlanta because you wanted a ring. If you wanted a chance at the playoffs, maybe. But a ring, no way.

Tell me who will win the Superbowl next year, I'll bet you even money that you are wrong. Pick any team, I'll take the bet. There's just too many variables during the course of an NFL season.

Was ATL better than the Chiefs heading into last season, yes. Were they a favorite to win a superbowl, not hardly. So he left to go play for a team that MIGHT make the playoffs, but had very little chance of winning a SB.

Overall, I think if TG had it to do all over again, he would have stayed in KC. I think KC, TG, ATL(and their 2nd pick) all would have been better off.

Will LT win a ring in NY? I say no, and I'll take any even money bets that claims otherwise.

Coach
03-21-2010, 02:07 PM
How much can I bet? Can it be 5 figures?

If you're serious send me a PM.

KottkeKU
03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I actually think the Falcons are going to be really good next season. They will make the playoffs, maybe win a playoff game but i doubt that. I will say the same thing for the Chiefs though lol....

But we are getting Tony's replacement in this upcoming draft (our 2b pick), so it is hard to say what we would be without that player. That 2b pick is going to/ should be extremely important to the success of our 2010 season and beyond....

Connie Jo
03-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Simply for sake of fact, let's revisit 'some', not all...of Tony's reasons stated publicly for not wanting to stay in KC. The problems were born under the CP throne, & by the time CP was forced to resign, Tony's frustrations were already deeply embedded within. Here are some of Tony's public quotes, and journalists comments related:

Jason Cole; And with all due respect to the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/kan/;_ylt=AvNoOSTwh6S6z3A4s6676MzsYNAF), the only team he has played for, Gonzalez has serious doubts the Chiefs are going to give him that chance anytime soon. He has been frustrated with not only the team’s results but also moves such as trading defensive end Jared Allen, who is playing on the NFC Pro Bowl team this week.

Tony G; “We traded away our best defensive player [Allen], by far. A game changer and you trade him away. That’s just too much, and that’s sending a message to the guys on the team.”

“I love Kansas City. I really do. If I could stay there, I would. That’s why this is going to be a tough decision. We’ve been rebuilding. It hasn’t really seemed to go well. We won four and two this year. It’s getting tough. I don’t want to make it seem to the fans in Kansas City and to my teammates that I’m abandoning them. I hope, I think, they’ll understand.”

“I want to see who they name as head coach,” Gonzalez said. “Yeah, I hear they’re talking to Todd Haley, but then there’s this coach [Ferentz] from Iowa State, some [expletive] like that and I don’t want to deal with that. It seems like we’re rebuilding anyway, and I don’t want to do that. I don’t know that I want to do that any more than I already have been.”

"I don’t care about being good. I want to be great. I want to win a Super Bowl.”

ESPN; [I]The key, though, is what Hunt wants. If the Chiefs don't want to trade Gonzalez, they don't have to. The impression I've gotten from Gonzalez has been that he does want to play for a contender, but it would break his heart to leave the Chiefs. And the bottom line in this situation is what the Chiefs want.

Connie Jo
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
The trade negotiations began under CP, not Pioli:

Posted: Oct. 15, 2008
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers thought they had closed a deal for the Kansas City Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez just before the trading deadline, but according to the nine-time Pro Bowl selection Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson pulled out at the last second.

Two NFL sources told the Journal Sentinel Tuesday that the Packers were in the running for Gonzalez and that they were offering a third-round draft choice. Another source said Wednesday that Gonzalez had approved a trade to the Packers and was prepared to make the move.

According to two of the sources, the Packers and another team were offering the same compensation for Gonzalez, but Peterson decided at the last minute that he wanted more than a third-round pick.

In an interview with FOXSports.com Wednesday, Gonzalez said he was shocked that a deal didn't happen after talking to Peterson.

"I wanted to know if it could happen with a fourth (-round pick)," Gonzalez said. "He started talking about a second and a fifth like the (Jeremy) Shockey deal. Nobody is going to trade a second for a 32-year-old tight end. All along Carl said he would do something that works for both parties. Then he talked about how he traded a third for Willie Roaf, and he made it pretty clear to me that's what was going to get it done. That was certainly fair.

"I know teams offered a third and in the end, Carl made the asking price a second."

One NFL source said Tuesday night that Gonzalez was livid about Peterson's decision not to let him go. Gonzalez didn't dispute that when he addressed reporters at Chiefs headquarters Wednesday.

He was asked whether he would have gone to Green Bay.

"Yeah. I probably would've," he said.

General manager Ted Thompson had the option of meeting Peterson's new price but decided it was too much and let the trading deadline pass without a deal.