PDA

View Full Version : Worst Rule Change in My Lifetime

lucky_lefty
03-23-2010, 04:19 PM
NFL owners pass playoff overtime rules modification - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064)

IMO it makes no sense to change what works....Its called sudden death for a reason...If it wasn't it would just be called the 5th quarter....All of this for a senile old (insert expletive) who THREW AWAY his (maybe) last chance at reaching the Super Bowl

yashi
03-23-2010, 04:25 PM
I love it... games should not be decided by a coinfilp, a few first downs and a FG. It is still sudden death in that scoring a touchdown is a win. I hope they change it for the regular season.

slimdagreat
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I hate this.

OT should be about winning as a team. Not putting the QBs on display.

And the team that wins the coin toss wins the game about 55% of the time, so its just about equal, there's no advantage to winning the toss in OT. People just think offense matters more than defense

EDIT:
I just saw that the rule only applies to FGs, TDs are still sudden death.
This I can live with.

slimdagreat
03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Ironically Minnesota voted against it....LOL

pbatrucker
03-23-2010, 04:37 PM
If it weren't for time restraints from TV it would probably be applied through out the regular season as well.

tornadospotter
03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I like the change, and also hope it is adopted for the regular season. I have always thought that a field goal winning a game in overtime is wrong, now you must score a TD, or keep the other team, from tying from a FG to win.

lucky_lefty
03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Riddle me this then....What if its the Chiefs-Donks last game of the reg. season and KC needs the win for a 1st round bye...they lose in OT by a FG by the Donks on their 1st possession...Now opening round of the playoffs, you get the ball first in OT get the FG then the other team gets the ball, 1st play is a bomb that pass interference is called and ball placed on the 2 yard line....I know its a lot of what if's but this is football where anything can happen

tornadospotter
03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Riddle me this then....What if its the Chiefs-Donks last game of the reg. season and KC needs the win for a 1st round bye...they lose in OT by a FG by the Donks on their 1st possession...Now opening round of the playoffs, you get the ball first in OT get the FG then the other team gets the ball, 1st play is a bomb that pass interference is called and ball placed on the 2 yard line....I know its a lot of what if's but this is football where anything can happen
Should have gone for a Touchdown, instead of a FG. How many time do teams take the FG instead of trying get the touchdown? I do not know, but it will I think change things up. Instead of taking that FG, you know you need a touchdown to win. So why kick the field goal? If you turn over on downs, you have hopefully pinned the other team down, and your defense has to step up and stop them from scoring.
:sign0053: if I know, but what I do know is I have done plenty of :sAng_scream:when the Chiefs have lost in overtime, by a FG!

yashi
03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
I like the fact that it eliminates the BS of getting to the 40 yard line, and then run, run, run, try FG. Teams will be more likely to keep their entire playbook in effect rather than going to a clock-killing (boring) type offense.

chief31
03-23-2010, 05:37 PM
It makes little difference to me.

matthewschiefs
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I liked the old way. IMO its not the coin flip that wins the game even if the first team to get the ball wins right away. You have a DEFENSE for a reason. If they do there job like they should you will get the ball. Its that simple.

texaschief
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
To me, "sudden death" was the little brother to the BCS. I hate when outside factors influence games or championships... in this case, the coin flip.

The percentage of teams who win the game after they won the flip wasn't anywhere close to being even. You shouldn't let a coin flip decide who gets a severe advantage. Just like you shouldn't let a computer and voters decide who the national championship competitors should be.

IMO, the NFL needs to take the NCAA OT rules and the NCAA needs to take the NFL playoff format.

Fansincebirth
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Love the new rule. Perfect balance between NFL and BCS. Wish it was not just for the playoffs. With the NFL moving back the kicker to allow recieving team better field position, and FG kickers kicking 50 yarders consistantly and able to kick 55 up to 65 yard field goals. The defence has to be perfect. Two first downs and they are in FG range. Love the new rule.

Canada
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I liked the old way. IMO its not the coin flip that wins the game even if the first team to get the ball wins right away. You have a DEFENSE for a reason. If they do there job like they should you will get the ball. Its that simple.

Yeah, but you also have an offense, why shouldnt both teams have an equal opportunity to win? Football is the only sport where one team got an advantage to start OT.

Coach
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
How many games would it have changed/affected in the last 10 years? Since it only applies to playoff games, I don't think it would have affected any Chiefs games ever. Can anyone confirm this?

yashi
03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
How many games would it have changed/affected in the last 10 years? Since it only applies to playoff games, I don't think it would have affected any Chiefs games ever. Can anyone confirm this?

That's probably right. And honestly none of this matters until we get back to the playoffs. But I do hope this rule ends up in regular season games as well. It seems silly to have different rules for the playoffs and regular season.

lucky_lefty
03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
If I researched it correctly, teams who've won the coin flip in OT are 13-14. I have no issues if this instituted just for the super bowl but just for the playoffs is stupid. It's called sudden death for a reason. I wonder how this will effect the next TV contracts when it's the standard for reg. season also.

Edit
in the playoffs trams are 13-14

Chiefster
03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
To me, "sudden death" was the little brother to the BCS. I hate when outside factors influence games or championships... in this case, the coin flip.

The percentage of teams who win the game after they won the flip wasn't anywhere close to being even. You shouldn't let a coin flip decide who gets a severe advantage. Just like you shouldn't let a computer and voters decide who the national championship competitors should be.

IMO, the NFL needs to take the NCAA OT rules and the NCAA needs to take the NFL playoff format.

Exactomendo!

AussieChiefsFan
03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
IMO it makes no sense to change what works....Its called sudden death for a reason...If it wasn't it would just be called the 5th quarter....All of this for a senile old (insert expletive) who THREW AWAY his (maybe) last chance at reaching the Super Bowl
I dont think it is such a bad idea. I mean they ARE only seeing how it goes for this season.

70 chiefsfan70
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I like the change,would like it better if it were regular season as well, but would really like to see an extra 15 minutes (5th quarter) as some one mentioned.

tornadospotter
03-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I think it will be, or should be adopted for the Regular season, every game played should be by the same rules. Be it preseason, regular season, playoffs and the Super Bowl.
I am in favor of this change.

DC_Chiefsfan
03-23-2010, 09:08 PM
It's a great rule change. And this applies to us as we will be in the playoffs next year!! Remember, when Pioli took over in New england they went 5-11. The following year they went 11-5 and won the superbowl. I'm not saying we'll win the superbowl, but we'll be a winning team next year!!

Connie Jo
03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I hate this.

OT should be about winning as a team. Not putting the QBs on display.

And the team that wins the coin toss wins the game about 55% of the time, so its just about equal, there's no advantage to winning the toss in OT. People just think offense matters more than defense

EDIT:
I just saw that the rule only applies to FGs, TDs are still sudden death.
This I can live with.

It's actually about 60% of the time that the team who wins the toss wins the game. It use to be higher than that at 65%.

Personally, I've always felt that there should be change with OT rules. In baseball each team receives a turn at bat, but similar isn't true in the NFL, and it can be based upon luck with the coin toss. I don't know what the best solution is, just that I feel each team should have a chance at possessing the ball in OT.

jb908
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I always thought overtime should be decided after both teams have a chance to score. I do not like the gamble of a coin toss decided how a team finishes. It's really bad if you have two offensive teams in over time. Whoever gets the toss is guaranteed to win the game.

Ryfo18
03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I think it's a good rule change, especially for the playoffs. Football shouldn't rely on "chance".

Connie Jo
03-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I can't edit my post, too late, so will add this...the 60% figure I mentioned in my previous post...is repeated from ESPN's calculations.