PDA

View Full Version : Are the Chiefs waiting until next year for a NT?

pbatrucker
03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Look at next seasons draft before knocking mocks w/o a NT or a C - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/3/22/1384855/look-at-next-seasons-draft-before)
If Pioli doesn't like the NT's available in this years draft, there will more choices next year.

whatwasthat?
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
this idea had run through my head but i was too lazy to research it ha

moshak
03-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Ya, but a NT takes about 2-3 years to develop anyway so i would much rather take one this year than the next.

bwilliams
03-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Ya, but a NT takes about 2-3 years to develop anyway so i would much rather take one this year than the next.

OK, a 3-4 NT does not take 2-3 years to develop. Guys like Hampton, Wilfork, and Ngata stepped in as 3-4 NTs from day one.

Bortnem
03-24-2010, 05:06 PM
But there isnt a NT of that caliber in this draft other than possibly dan williams and spending the 5 pick on him would be just as dumb as the 3 pick with jackson last year.

pbatrucker
03-24-2010, 05:56 PM
But there isnt a NT of that caliber in this draft other than possibly dan williams and spending the 5 pick on him would be just as dumb as the 3 pick with jackson last year.

Why don't we give TJ a couple more years before you start calling Pioli dumb

Bortnem
03-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Im not saying he is dumb im just saying i dont like the pick. You have the best defensive player still on the board in Aaron Curry that would have stepped in just like jackson did. But instead we take jackson 12-15 spots ahead of where he should have gone.

Ryfo18
03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Im not saying he is dumb im just saying i dont like the pick. You have the best defensive player still on the board in Aaron Curry that would have stepped in just like jackson did. But instead we take jackson 12-15 spots ahead of where he should have gone.

Why is everyone still on Aaron Curry? He had arguably a more disappointing season than Jackson.

Let's take a look at how Jackson did compared to some competition. I think we can both agree that Wilfork is one of the best when it comes to 3-4 DE. He had:

30 solo tackles
17 assists
4 sacks
3 pass deflections.

Jackson had

23 solo tackles
11 assists,
0 sacks,
2 pass deflections

He ranked 62nd among all defensive ends in tackles (and let's not forget that defensive ends in a 4-3 defense have more emphasis on making plays.)

Now let's take a look at Curry:

54 solo tackles
7 assists
2 sacks
6 pass deflections

He ranked 64th among all linebackers in tackles. Another rookie, Cushing, was taken 11 picks later than Curry...133 total tackles.

My point is, just because a guy is hyped as the greatest athlete in a certain draft class, doesn't mean he's going to come out and produce. The Chiefs have a tremendous supporting cast outside of Pioli and Haley to help them evaluate talent. They obviously saw things that Curry lacked and decided that Jackson would help the team more.

Bortnem
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I hear what your saying but i believe that curry will have a better career than cushing. Also cushing fell into a team that went 9-7 not 5-11. I was just puzzled why we move Hali to OLB when he was just as good as TJ at DE. Then we could have drafted curry who actually plays LB to play LB. I just feel it would have been a better team because Hali would not have learned how to play a new position. I dont hate the TJ pick I just think there were better options than him.

pbatrucker
03-25-2010, 12:27 AM
First Wilfork is a NT not a DE.
Second, Hali is not a 3-4 DE. He is 30 pounds to lite.

bwilliams
03-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Here's the thing. A 3-4 defense cannot work without a big DL. It can't. It doesn't matter how good your LBs or DBs are. It doesn't matter how good your coaches are. It doesn't matter how hard everyone tries. Without a legit DL in a 3-4, your team is going to give up massive YPG on the ground.

I hate that the Chiefs keep spending high picks on DL. But there's no other option. We needed a big DE last year a whole lot more than an ILB (which Curry would have been). Although Edwards did a heck of a lot better than I would have thought, we need a NT in the worst way. If we don't get one, it doesn't matter if we have Dawkins/Reed in their primes at FS/SS. We'll be gouged for 150/YPG on the ground.

It doesn't hurt that starting SS's will be available in the 3rd/4th rounds.

I hear what your saying but i believe that curry will have a better career than cushing. Also cushing fell into a team that went 9-7 not 5-11. I was just puzzled why we move Hali to OLB when he was just as good as TJ at DE. Then we could have drafted curry who actually plays LB to play LB. I just feel it would have been a better team because Hali would not have learned how to play a new position. I dont hate the TJ pick I just think there were better options than him.

Hali was going to get moved when we moved to the 3-4. No matter who we drafted. He's too small to be a 3-4 DE. He may be a great long-term 3-4 OLB.

Curry may turn out to be an outstanding 4-3 LB. But do you think he'd be a good 3-4 one? He's too small to be a great rushing LB. And his talents would be wasted as a run-stuffing ILB. I think it's better for him and us the way everything turned out.

Bortnem
03-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I do agree that he will be better in a 4-3 and i hope your right with everything being better for both teams.

Ryfo18
03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
First Wilfork is a NT not a DE.
Second, Hali is not a 3-4 DE. He is 30 pounds to lite.

Sorry about that. I said Wilfork, but meant Seymour. And those are Seymour's stats I posted above.