PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Can Berry Make A Difference?

Coach
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Read Article Here... (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14916&Itemid=2)

pbatrucker
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
As I've posted before. No safety is going to reach their potintial until we fix the front seven. Smith isn't the fix all at NT and we need to replace at least Mays.
I'm not saying we shouldn't draft Berry, but don't exspect him to be the stud most think he will be until all the pieces are in place.

70 chiefsfan70
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I think Berry is such a once in a lifetime chance that if we don't trade out of the fifth, he would be the best and most influential player available,I do however agree that the front seven need upgraded a lot to give us the most out of our money.

I see Berry taking control of the secondary and making every QB second quess the deep passes as he will make other teams pay. He is a game changer!
He also gives many other blizting opportunities.

Ryfo18
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
I think Berry is such a once in a lifetime chance that if we don't trade out of the fifth, he would be the best and most influential player available,I do however agree that the front seven need upgraded a lot to give us the most out of our money.

I see Berry taking control of the secondary and making every QB second quess the deep passes as he will make other teams pay. He is a game changer!

Guys get billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread every year and rarely live upto their potential. Fixing the guys I'm front of the safeties is going to make mediocre safeties look great. The long term fix at safety is going to be in the middle rounds where there are several talented guys, they just don't have the same hype.

Canada
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Guys get billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread every year and rarely live upto their potential. Fixing the guys I'm front of the safeties is going to make mediocre safeties look great. The long term fix at safety is going to be in the middle rounds where there are several talented guys, they just don't have the same hype.

Wasnt Aaron Curry supposed to be the greatest LB in a decade and Seattle is only one spot behind us in the draft. Suh is supposed to be the best player in a generation. I dont buy into the once in a lifetime player crap either.

Ryfo18
03-31-2010, 11:39 AM
If you're trying to minimize your losses in regards to an early pick being a bust, teams will typically look to take an offensive or defensive lineman. There are many reasons for this. For one, these positions tend to be a little more safe in terms of guys living up to their potential. Also, OL and DL makes on average 40-60% more than your average safety. This makes a huge difference in the trade market. If the guy does have the makings of a bust, you have a much better chance of unloading an OL or DL that was hyped coming out of college to a team that is willing to give him a 2nd chance in the hopes that he will live up to his billing. It will be impossible to trade the highest paid safety in the league that has not performed. Nobody will want to have anything to do with that contract and safety is a much easier position to fulfill.

Again, combine all this with my opinion that a great front 7 will make a mediocre safety look great, I don't see a lot of upside to taking Berry. The defense had the second fewest sacks in the league last year. It's tough for anyone to cover a WR when the QB has all day to throw. That's just my thinking though.

We may not have the sexiest pick in the draft this year at number 5, but I could care less about sexy. I truly do trust in this great coaching staff and winning GM to make the best decision as to what the team's needs are. I would rather see them pick a guy that isn't "sexy", but will be an overachiever in the years to come.

Boobcrack
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I believe that anything that is built to last is started with a strong foundation. You can build a mansion on a sand trap, but soon enough the mansion will crumble. Once we get our lines solidified then we can go get our Playmakers i.e Berry. Till then we will just be throughing away money. Sorry for the terrible analogy, but you get my point.

slimdagreat
03-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Again, combine all this with my opinion that a great front 7 will make a mediocre safety look great

Examples please, besides this is almost always the other way around.

Plus in a league (and division) that's becoming increasingly more pass first, you have to have a secondary that can stop the deep ball.

matthewschiefs
03-31-2010, 06:57 PM

He might be a game changer but If a QB has ALL day to throw the ball someone will get open. YOU CAN NOT BE A GOOD D WITHOUT A PASSRUSH. I won't be to upset if we do draft berry at 5. I just Don't think its the best move.

chief31
03-31-2010, 08:38 PM

Plus in a league (and division) that's becoming increasingly more pass first, you have to have a secondary that can stop the deep ball.

Find a great Saftey and that is your example.

The Steelers were already a great defense, when Polamalu arrived.

The Ravens had one of the best defensive seasons of all time even winning The Super Bowl while scoring scarcely a point on offense, all before Ed Reed.

Even the great Ronnie Lott was part of a powerhouse 49er defense when he made his name, but then became quit marginal with The Jets and Raiders.

Safties are like the RBs of the defense. Other guys do the work, and they get the glory.

pbatrucker
03-31-2010, 09:01 PM

If the opposing QB is laying on the ground, your Db's usually look pretty good.

kckidd8870
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Look how many bust we have had on D-line lately.I think Berry would be great but we need a killer D-line.you never know with any player if they will be a bust or not.Once they get that money it is up to them if there gonna play or not.It just depends on how much pride you have in yourself.If your going to be good or not.Some of it is just pure lazyness.At this level it's just how bad you want it.That is what Pioli is looking for.The guys that want to bring there lunch box and go to work.Work hard and be a stable hard working player.With that said who are we going to pick.lol

Ryfo18
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Find a great Saftey and that is your example.

The Steelers were already a great defense, when Polamalu arrived.

The Ravens had one of the best defensive seasons of all time even winning The Super Bowl while scoring scarcely a point on offense, all before Ed Reed.

Even the great Ronnie Lott was part of a powerhouse 49er defense when he made his name, but then became quit marginal with The Jets and Raiders.

Safties are like the RBs of the defense. Other guys do the work, and they get the glory.

Thanks for giving me something to start with chief31.

Troy Polamalu, drafted in 2003. In 2002, the Steelers gave up the fewest rushing yards in the league and were 3rd in the league in sacks. There's some solid front 7 stats for you.

Ed Reed drafted in 2002. In 2000, the Ravens won the Super Bowl, gave up less than 1000 rushing yards in 16 games, had the 2nd least yards given up per game, and forced the most fumbles in the league. In 2001, again the second fewest yards given up per game, 4th fewest rushing yards given up, and 7th in the league in sacks.

Nothing about either of these examples screams that it is the other way around--that you build your team around a safety.

We could look at it the other way around. Sean Taylor, Round 1, pick 5 in the 2004 draft. A look at the Redskins:

2002: 7-9 record
2003: 5-11 record
2004: 6-10 record
2005: 10-6 record
2006: 5-11 record

Too many people think the way to build this team is through big name FAs and the flashiest draft picks, it doesn't happen that way though. The Redskins are a great example of that.

stricken721
03-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for giving me something to start with chief31.

Troy Polamalu, drafted in 2003. In 2002, the Steelers gave up the fewest rushing yards in the league and were 3rd in the league in sacks. There's some solid front 7 stats for you.

Ed Reed drafted in 2002. In 2000, the Ravens won the Super Bowl, gave up less than 1000 rushing yards in 16 games, had the 2nd least yards given up per game, and forced the most fumbles in the league. In 2001, again the second fewest yards given up per game, 4th fewest rushing yards given up, and 7th in the league in sacks.

Nothing about either of these examples screams that it is the other way around--that you build your team around a safety.

We could look at it the other way around. Sean Taylor, Round 1, pick 5 in the 2004 draft. A look at the Redskins:

2002: 7-9 record
2003: 5-11 record
2004: 6-10 record
2005: 10-6 record
2006: 5-11 record

Too many people think the way to build this team is through big name FAs and the flashiest draft picks, it doesn't happen that way though. The Redskins are a great example of that.

Nice work. :bananen_smilies046: Rep added.