PDA

View Full Version : My shot at a Chiefs mock draft

cjsfw2
04-07-2010, 12:00 AM
I've never done this before so be understanding in your criticism...

1. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee - we take a playmaker on defense an add an immediate starter to an area of severe weakness for this team last year

2a. Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama - I do believe he falls this far. And if he does, I think Pioli snatches him up quickly.

2b. Vladimir Ducasse, OL, UMass - Sounds like this guy can play RT or either guard position which would provide us with some much needed depth behind Waters, Lilja, and O'Callahan. Could even push O'Callahan for the starting RT job.

3. Jordan Shipley, WR/KR, Texas - Chiefs fill a huge need here. This guy has great hands and could be a great slot WR for us and provide some KR/PR relief for Jamaal Charles. Some mock drafts had Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida falling this far and beyond but I have a hard time believing that will be true.

4. Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson - Would be drafted higher if not for some injury concerns, but this guy could be the understudy to Vrabel for a year (or more) as well as rotate in on passing downs to help pressure the QB opposite Tamba Hali.

5a. Larry Asante, S, Nebraska - giving some much needed depth to our safeties as really Jarrad Page is our only real starting quality safety (McGraw is good backup/special teams guy, but not a solid starter). This pick could be Darell Stuckey, S, Kansas if he's not off the board.

5b. Alterraun Verner, CB, UCLA - college standout who has the talent to push Brandon Carr for the #2 corner spot, but at least provide good depth with our 4th round pick from last year Donald Washington.

5c. LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon - big physical runner to complement Charles and provide some attitude to our offense (yep he's the guy who punched the Boise State idiot last year).

Needs not addressed by this mock are ILB and another OL, but can you really expect to fill all your needs in one draft?

AussieChiefsFan
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Good mock IMO. I'd take Berry at #5 and I think Cody in round 2a is a good choice.

bwilliams
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Those would be a good first three picks (Berry, Cody, Ducasse). I would disagree with Shipley in the 3rd (he's a 4th/5th round prospect). I think if we go WR, we go with the best hands in the draft - Andre Roberts.

Here's how I *want* it to go:

1. Brian Baluga (LT)
2a. Terrence Cody (NT)
2b. Vladamir Ducasse (RT)
3. Chad Jones (S)
4. Doren Dickerson (TE)
5a. Ted Larsen (C)
5b.Jamar Cheney (ILB)
5c. Rahim Alem (OLB/DE)

cjsfw2
04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
I do agree that Shipley in the 3rd may be a reach but my question is why has this guy's stock fallen so much? I remember him being projected as high as the 2nd round earlier...did he just not have stellar combine/pro day workouts, because this guy's on the field production is very high up there in my opinion. He may not have the perfect size/speed but this guy seems to get it done and with his leadership would seem to be a fit for the "right 53".

stricken721
04-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Great picks though I'm still not completely sold on Berry. I don't think Ducasse will make it to 2b and it will be a stretch for Cody to make it to 2a, but if they do it'd be one hell of a draft for KC.

AussieChiefsFan
04-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Great picks though I'm still not completely sold on Berry. I don't think Ducasse will make it to 2b and it will be a stretch for Cody to make it to 2a, but if they do it'd be one hell of a draft for KC.
I hope this year's draft is better than last year's for the Chiefs.

stricken721
04-07-2010, 01:26 AM
I hope this year's draft is better than last year's for the Chiefs.

Whether we get either one of those players listed or not, it should be better due to the fact the draft is much deeper.

NWA Chief
04-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Here's my wish
1. S Berry, Tenn
2a.DT Cody, Bama
2b.ILB Washington, TCU
3. OG Johnson, Bama
4. ILB Spikes, UF
5a. WR Price Ohio
5b. OLB Selvie USF
5c. S Chancellor VT

Spikes will drop because of his 40, but I'm sure he will still be wanted.

Selvie will drop due to his injury history

Price has soft hands and looks smooth running routes at SR Bowl

Getting 2 ILB's, a starter at S and DT from day 1 and as the draft is so deep, all of these player could be starters within 3 years. At least 4 starters in 2 years, probably bold but it looks good to me

slimdagreat
04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
IMO the Chargers take Cody in the 1st.

bwilliams
04-07-2010, 03:48 PM
IMO the Chargers take Cody in the 1st.

Everybody and their mother expects the Chargers to go Ryan Matthews (RB) at 28. Not Cody.

Cody has a better shot of going to the Cowboys at 27 or the Vikings at 30. I'd wager he slips right to us at 36. The question is whether we pick him or not.

slimdagreat
04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Everybody and their mother expects the Chargers to go Ryan Matthews (RB) at 28. Not Cody.

Cody has a better shot of going to the Cowboys at 27 or the Vikings at 30. I'd wager he slips right to us at 36. The question is whether we pick him or not.

I don't see any RB but Spiller going in the 1st. They can always go after the kid from Ole Miss or Gerhart in later rounds.

Cody, Williams, and Cam Thomas are probably the only 3 NTs that can step in and start in the NFL, and I doubt they pass on one when they have a glaring hole at NT.

bwilliams
04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't see any RB but Spiller going in the 1st. They can always go after the kid from Ole Miss or Gerhart in later rounds.

Cody, Williams, and Cam Thomas are probably the only 3 NTs that can step in and start in the NFL, and I doubt they pass on one when they have a glaring hole at NT.

The Chargers have no bigger need than RB. They're going RB. Either Spiller (if he drops past the Seahawks, and I don't think he does) or Matthews.

Disagree if you want, but that's what's going to happen.

cjsfw2
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Disagree if you want, but that's what's going to happen.

Lol...

Ya my pick's in the second could totally not even be plausible but if those players are there I would think Pioli would take a good hard look at em at least.

pbatrucker
04-07-2010, 05:01 PM

If he is there the chargers will grab him.

buffman316
04-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Cody and Berry in the same draft would be money. Most of the picks do need to be used on defense for sure.

cjsfw2
04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Is Trent Williams on our radar at 5? Sounds like Bulaga has some major doubters, and I keep seeing Williams drafted higher and higher in lots of mocks.

It would kinda be cool if the top 5 was all Big 12 players btw...

Ryfo18
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I actually saw that Mayock thinks Williams may be taken by the Skins, leaving Okung to us. That would ve so money.

pbatrucker
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I actually saw that Mayock thinks Williams may be taken by the Skins, leaving Okung to us. That would ve so money.

Before the combine a lot of the scouts were saying Trent Williams was a RT only. Just shows how fickle these so called experts are. There are a lot of tackles in this draft but I'm not real high on any of them. Last years group was a lot better.

kcmostwanted
04-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Before the combine a lot of the scouts were saying Trent Williams was a RT only. Just shows how fickle these so called experts are. There are a lot of tackles in this draft but I'm not real high on any of them. Last years group was a lot better.

I don't know if you can say that lasts years group was "a lot better"...

jason smith - unknown
Eugene Monroe - average
Blindside - Good season protecting the Right side
Andre Smith - Also a RT

I actually think Okung and Williams will be better pros than Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith (injuries)

After that you still have:
Byran Bulaga Iowa
Anthony Davis Rutgers
Bruce Campbell Maryland
Charles Brown USC
Roger Saffold Indiana

All these guys have a shot at going in the 1st round... I mean this draft could be similar to the 2008 draft in terms of depth at the O-line where 8 OTs got drafted in the 1st round.

pbatrucker
04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
I don't know if you can say that lasts years group was "a lot better"...

jason smith - unknown
Eugene Monroe - average
Blindside - Good season protecting the Right side
Andre Smith - Also a RT

I actually think Okung and Williams will be better pros than Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith (injuries)

After that you still have:
Byran Bulaga Iowa
Anthony Davis Rutgers
Bruce Campbell Maryland
Charles Brown USC
Roger Saffold Indiana

All these guys have a shot at going in the 1st round... I mean this draft could be similar to the 2008 draft in terms of depth at the O-line where 8 OTs got drafted in the 1st round.
Buluga- RT
Davis ? work habits and maturity
Campbell- Al Davis pick, bust waiting to happen.
Saffold- RT, maybe OG
Charles Brown could end up being the best OT in this draft.

yashi
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Buluga- RT
Davis ? work habits and maturity
Campbell- Al Davis pick, bust waiting to happen.
Saffold- RT, maybe OG
Charles Brown could end up being the best OT in this draft.

Agree with that 100%. I love Charles Brown, and I think if we really want to go LT, it would be in our best interest to draft another position at 5 and trade back into the 1st round to take Brown.

charlesIII
04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
great draft i love the 1st three picks but after that not so much of a fan

cjsfw2
04-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on this...how would you rank our need at TE?

Obviously, we all miss Tony G, but I just don't think offense needs a stud TE. We need a good run blocker with decent hands to catch bailout passes or middle screens. I think (a healthy) Cottam and Pope should fill that role ok. Basically, I'm just saying I don't think we should use a draft pick on a TE...unless somebody like Grisham drops big time, but its unlikely. I've seen a lot of mocks with us taking a TE. Walterfootball.com has us taking Rob Gronkowski from Arizona with 2b. I'd rather us grab a WR that can KR as well to fill two positions of need (slot and KR/PR since Charles won't be able to do as much of that). So I'm looking at guys like Golden Tate, Marty Gilyard, or Jordan Shipley...I'm sure there's others too. I think there will be some decent TE's that don't get drafted too that we could sign as free agents.

Just my opinion, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

jap1
04-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on this...how would you rank our need at TE?

Obviously, we all miss Tony G, but I just don't think offense needs a stud TE. We need a good run blocker with decent hands to catch bailout passes or middle screens. I think (a healthy) Cottam and Pope should fill that role ok. Basically, I'm just saying I don't think we should use a draft pick on a TE...unless somebody like Grisham drops big time, but its unlikely. I've seen a lot of mocks with us taking a TE. Walterfootball.com has us taking Rob Gronkowski from Arizona with 2b. I'd rather us grab a WR that can KR as well to fill two positions of need (slot and KR/PR since Charles won't be able to do as much of that). So I'm looking at guys like Golden Tate, Marty Gilyard, or Jordan Shipley...I'm sure there's others too. I think there will be some decent TE's that don't get drafted too that we could sign as free agents.

Just my opinion, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

I would like to see the second coming of Jason Dunn. A back-up tight end who is a beast at run blocking. We can probably accomplish that in the 4th round if not lower. I think our current tight ends are not great run blockers.