PDA

View Full Version : Warning...tragic pet story here. :(

Connie Jo
04-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm heartbroken for my son & his wife. Both my kids have my love of animals overall, but especially dogs. My son & his wife live 4 miles from me, also in the rural country. They too take in strays from time to time.

A few months ago they took in a little Terrior mix, he reminded me of a mini Benji...cute and sweet as he could be. They have 3 other dogs, another small one and 2 larger 'mutts', so to speak.

They keep their dogs inside my sons garage/shop at night & during bad weather. This morning around 7 AM my son let the dogs out of his garage/shop as he prepared to leave for work. He went back in his house & within minutes heard comotion among his dogs, and a very weird short sound he said. When he went outside he saw coyote's running off, and noted one of the larger dogs was roughed up & bleeding, so knew he'd been in a fight with the coyote's.

Sadly, the little Terrier has not been found, and they're fairly sure one of the coyote's took him. He, his wife, & friends...spent 13 hrs today searching, but found nothing. Living out here is as close to living in the wilderness as it get's...bobcats, rattlesnakes, coyotes, & even a few mountain lions. The miles of terrain is impossible to search for a pet...river bluffs, hills, woods, prairies, creeks, pastures, etc..

I'm not sure which hurts more...the thought of the coyote's getting the dog, or witnessing my son's broken heart, as well as anger. He's set bait for the coyote's and intends to shoot them at first sight. He also hunted coyote's today, invading their dens.

Now is not the appropriate time to discuss it with my son, but I feel bad for the coyote's too. I've warned my son of the coyote & other dangers related to having pets & living where we do, suggesting he fence some of his land around his house in...to protect his dogs. He didn't think it was necessary. I just have mixed emotions about his shooting the coyote's when they only acted instintively, & feel my son is at least partially responsible for not fencing his dogs in.

I dunno...maybe I'm wrong to think that way?? It's a no win situation I suppose...the dogs lose, he & his wife lose, the coyote's lose.

stricken721
04-09-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Connie, I have two little dogs and we have snakes and opossums around here so I always worry. Maybe possibly the little one will show up. We can hope for the best. :bananen_smilies046:

Connie Jo
04-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Yeah, what's especially bad is I have a very in depth realistic visonary or visual imagination...not sure how else to describe it. Many who have artistic/creative abilities do have such ability to visualize in detail.

For instance...when I walk into a design or restoration project structure...I see it completely finished in depth & detail, not as it is. As well, if someone tells me a story...in my mind I see it take place as it's being told right down to the finest detail of movement, color, environment, all of it. I'm often told such ability is a blessing, which it is when ones career is related to design/restoration/building...or any form of creativity...but it can be a curse as well when the circumstances relating to an event are tragic. :(

Canada
04-09-2010, 08:31 AM
We have a coyotes around here too. My dog has had to defend herself a few times. Fortunately she is a 120lb Rotty. Im sorry about your grandpuppy though.

honda522
04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Well unfortunately for them, thats the life cycle.

I am suprised neither one of my cats havn't been drug off my a coyote

Connie Jo
04-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Ya know, I knew Terrior didn't look right, haha...it's Terrier! Sometimes my bit of a inherited Southern accent get's me in trouble with spelling...I hear words in my head as I type them, duh! haha

Thanks y'all. It's all still sorta getting me today...just so sad in every aspect.

I like that Canada..."grandpuppy"!! I'm gonna remember that! haha I often drive up to my son's house on a Friday or Saturday night, drink a couple beers, play some pool. His garage/shop is also somewhat his big boy's game room, not sure what to call it, haha...he has a pool table area in there, as well as a flat screen mounted on the wall, etc..

Anyway, their dogs are always in their with us, so I've gotten attached to them too somewhat.

Honda...I'm surprised too, that the coyote's haven't gotten one of your cats. I suppose though cat's can escape if you have tree's around. The coyote's usually are out hunting at peak a couple hours at dawn and again at dusk.

tornadospotter
04-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Ya know, I knew Terrior didn't look right, haha...it's Terrier! Sometimes my bit of a inherited Southern accent get's me in trouble with spelling...I hear words in my head as I type them, duh! haha

Thanks y'all. It's all still sorta getting me today...just so sad in every aspect.

I like that Canada..."grandpuppy"!! I'm gonna remember that! haha I often drive up to my son's house on a Friday or Saturday night, drink a couple beers, play some pool. His garage/shop is also somewhat his big boy's game room, not sure what to call it, haha...he has a pool table area in there, as well as a flat screen mounted on the wall, etc..

Anyway, their dogs are always in their with us, so I've gotten attached to them too somewhat.

Honda...I'm surprised too, that the coyote's haven't gotten one of your cats. I suppose though cat's can escape if you have tree's around. The coyote's usually are out hunting at peak a couple hours at dawn and again at dusk.
It is called a Man Cave. :efpge: It is where Man go to escape from Women. Man go there to find peace, in only place he have control over, to decorate as man like, man can invite woman to visit man cave, but woman can not decorate, or paint, or change! Man Cave!

:D:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
So sorry to hear it Connie!

Connie Jo
04-14-2010, 11:29 PM
So sorry to hear it Connie!

Thanks Chiefster. :)

Connie Jo
04-14-2010, 11:38 PM
It is called a Man Cave. :efpge: It is where Man go to escape from Women. Man go there to find peace, in only place he have control over, to decorate as man like, man can invite woman to visit man cave, but woman can not decorate, or paint, or change! Man Cave!

:D:bananen_smilies046:

:lol:

Thing is...I guarantee that there's not a man here who would not appreciate the decorating I've done in my 'squaws teepee' aka Chiefs level! hahaha I bet there's not much a man would change either, assuming he's a Chiefs fan that is, hahaha. I tend to think most male Chiefs fans...would turn me loose in their Man Cave's to do what ever decorating my little ol' decorating heart desired...considering my love of Chiefs, billiards, and related decorating, hahaha.

:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs: :lol:

Canada
04-16-2010, 12:17 PM
:lol:

Thing is...I guarantee that there's not a man here who would not appreciate the decorating I've done in my 'squaws teepee' aka Chiefs level! hahaha I bet there's not much a man would change either, assuming he's a Chiefs fan that is, hahaha. I tend to think most male Chiefs fans...would turn me loose in their Man Cave's to do what ever decorating my little ol' decorating heart desired...considering my love of Chiefs, billiards, and related decorating, hahaha.

:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs: :lol:

you are welcome to clean and decorate in my garage anytime. Although I just did my spring cleaning in there yesterday so you are a bit late!! :D

Connie Jo
04-18-2010, 11:43 AM
you are welcome to clean and decorate in my garage anytime. Although I just did my spring cleaning in there yesterday so you are a bit late!! :D

Shoot! I need you to come to my house then! haha I'm so behind on Spring Cleaning! I started, but well, one thing after another kept distracting me, hahaha.

I'm really gonna miss my Chiefs level when and if this house sells. I put my heart and soul into that level, decades of collecting Chiefs memorabilia is on display...an entire lifetime of being a Chiefs fan is reflected.

I'm hoping when I have to move, that I can find a place within my budget to have another Chiefs area...just won't be as large. That forces me to edit my collection too, but oh well, is what it is.

Another problem I have is my pool table...it's an antique table, 9'x5'...the minimum space guideline is 5' around the perimeter of a table when playing...if one doesn't want to be hitting elbows that is, haha. I'm not willing to give up my table too, I'm sentimentally attached to it, haha.

Since I have no choice but to move someday...I wanna move closer to Kansas City...the outskirts, so I won't be as far of a drive to Arrowhead, hahaha. See, there's always some good to be found in bad, hahaha.

:chiefs: