PDA

View Full Version : Its a little early, but with 1st pick we select...

Bike
04-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma.

toyotapower
04-17-2010, 02:23 PM
first pick has to be defense. i'm not on anyone's bandwagon (berry, mclain, etc) but i think that's our biggest area of need. we need a playmaker, i'm tired of seeing the miles austin effect. personally i'd like to see some pass rush help, but we'll see.

Bike
04-17-2010, 02:31 PM
first pick has to be defense. i'm not on anyone's bandwagon (berry, mclain, etc) but i think that's our biggest area of need. we need a playmaker, i'm tired of seeing the miles austin effect. personally i'd like to see some pass rush help, but we'll see.
We'll get defensive and pass rush help. It just won't be with the 1st pick.

DC_Chiefsfan
04-17-2010, 02:35 PM
If you check out KCChiefs.com and listen to Pioli's pre draft press conference, he makes it very clear that Albert is our left tackle. He specifically states that they don't play or practice him at any other position. It may be smoke screen, but I believe it. If this were the case, selecting a LT at #5 overall would be a poor decision. Although, kudos for suggesting Trent Williams over Bulaga. Williams will be a MUCH better LT in the NFL. I don't want him though. Playmaker, playmaker, playmaker.

bwilliams
04-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm dying to know who our pick is going to be. We aren't going Berry. If Okung drops to us and we can't trade down, I just can't see us passing on him, but who knows. If we aren't going LT, I'm guessing our board is:

1. Dan Williams
2. Jason Pierre-Paul
3. Rolando McClain

And people, please stop using the word "playmaker." It doesn't mean what you think it means.

DC_Chiefsfan
04-17-2010, 03:20 PM
And people, please stop using the word "playmaker." It doesn't mean what you think it means.

I see a playmaker as someone who can single handedly make something out of nothing. Generally I associate offensive personnel with playmakers, i.e., Jamaal Charles. However, maybe "game changer" would be a more suitable word to replace "play maker"?

bwilliams
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I see a playmaker as someone who can single handedly make something out of nothing. Generally I associate offensive personnel with playmakers, i.e., Jamaal Charles. However, maybe "game changer" would be a more suitable word to replace "play maker"?

I wasn't trying to be rude, promise. But people keep throwing that word around like its magic. Eric Berry doesn't fit our needs? Who cares? He's a PLAYMAKER! Why would we draft Suh when we run a 3-4? He's a PLAYMAKER! It's like a kid who learns a big word for the first time and uses it completely out of context in every conversation.

A "playmaker" is someone who is a threat to make the big play every second he's on the field. A RB or WR whose always a missed tackle away from breaking the TD is a playmaker. In terms of defense, guys like Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis, and Derrick Brooks (when they were in their primes) are playmakers. There's the chance every play that they'll force a fumble, cause an INT, or knock the opposing player out of the game, whether the opposing team is running, passing, or quick-kicking.

Punters aren't playmakers. Free safeties aren't playmakers. Defensive ends aren't playmakers. Kickers aren't playmakers. Cornerbacks aren't playmakers. Any player who is away from the action over 50% of plays isn't a playmaker.

Eric Berry may be the next Ed Reed, but he won't be a "playmaker." And before someone claims otherwise, he won't be playing SS in the NFL. He did his last season at Tennessee, but against larger NFL players he'll be a last line of defense/ballhawk. And he'll excel at that. But he isn't a solution for our team's problems.

brish
04-17-2010, 05:46 PM

We need a good coverage safety.. This league is currently dominated by teams that throw the ball really well. Contrary to the old run first mantra..

The teams to beat are:

NE
Dallas
San Diego
Indianapolis
Pittsburg
Arizona
Minnesota (Last year they threw the ball an awefull lot!)

Hell even in our own division San Diego is the team to beat, and they are going to throw the ball alot.
So we are going to need a pass rush and a good secondary.
So in my book saying that Eric Berry doesn't fill a need is utter nonsense!

He might be a reach at 5, but he does fill a need. It's not the only need we have, but a need nonetheless.
We need to stop the run aswell, but don't think stopping the run is all we have to do.

bwilliams
04-17-2010, 06:02 PM
We need a good coverage safety.. This league is currently dominated by teams that throw the ball really well. Contrary to the old run first mantra..

The teams to beat are:

NE
Dallas
San Diego
Indianapolis
Pittsburg
Arizona
Minnesota (Last year they threw the ball an awefull lot!)

Hell even in our own division San Diego is the team to beat, and they are going to throw the ball alot.
So we are going to need a pass rush and a good secondary.
So in my book saying that Eric Berry doesn't fill a need is utter nonsense!

He might be a reach at 5, but he does fill a need. It's not the only need we have, but a need nonetheless.
We need to stop the run aswell, but don't think stopping the run is all we have to do.

Think about it this way. We have the opportunity to massively upgrade our center position by picking Maurkice Pouncey at #5. Center is an extremely important position, and a bad one will screw up a QBs timing and throw the whole passing offense off. Why shouldn't we pick Pouncey at #5? It's because there isn't enough of a difference between great centers and bad centers that high picks should be used on onw.

FS is a position on the defense that is less important than every other position on the defense. It is less important than DT, DE, SS, ILB, and OLB. You're right that this is a passing league right now. Which means a pass rush is more important than anything else the defense can do. You can't get a pass rush if (1) you have lousy pass rushers; (2) yourpass rushers are getting blocked because your DL stinks; or (3) teams feel they can run on you at will.

Teams aren't passing more because they want to. Teams are passing more because defensive front sevens have become so big and fast that running is increasingly ineffective, and between-the-tackles RBs are increasingly getting injured. 32 teams out of 32 teams would do nothing but run if they felt that would win the game. They'd control the clock, drastically cut down the chance of turnovers, and cut down the risk of injury to everyone but the RB.

It doesn't matter how good of a FS we have. If our defensive front seven if bad, our defense will fail. It's as simple as that.

Ryfo18
04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
If you check out KCChiefs.com and listen to Pioli's pre draft press conference, he makes it very clear that Albert is our left tackle. He specifically states that they don't play or practice him at any other position. It may be smoke screen, but I believe it. If this were the case, selecting a LT at #5 overall would be a poor decision. Although, kudos for suggesting Trent Williams over Bulaga. Williams will be a MUCH better LT in the NFL. I don't want him though. Playmaker, playmaker, playmaker.

So Pioli should just come out and say, "Yeah, we're not too high on Branden staying at LT, he stunk it up last year." Of course he's not going to say that. The fact is, right this second, Branden Albert IS the LT. That can easily change though with one draft pick.

Canada
04-17-2010, 06:11 PM
It doesn't matter how good of a FS we have. If our defensive front seven if bad, our defense will fail. It's as simple as that.

I agree with you, but what if we take Berry with #5 and Cam Thomas or Cody with Rd2. Address both needs. Personally Im more interested in what we are going to do with our 2nd round picks. I think that whoever we pick at #5 will give us a good idea of where we are headed in Rd 2. Just my $0.02:bananen_smilies046:

fairladyZ
04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
The rumor mill is start to swirl up aswell with us attempting to put Dorsey at NT, and most likely Jackson and McGee on the ends. Which I could actually see working somewhat.. Dorsey got double teamed alot all season and still was a good space eater and was good against the run.

bwilliams
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
I agree with you, but what if we take Berry with #5 and Cam Thomas or Cody with Rd2. Address both needs. Personally Im more interested in what we are going to do with our 2nd round picks. I think that whoever we pick at #5 will give us a good idea of where we are headed in Rd 2. Just my $0.02:bananen_smilies046:
I agree entirely with you that Cam Thomas or Cody (or even Linval Joseph) would be terrific in the 2nd. But, rather than Berry, I think we'd be much better off getting a guy like Rolando McClain or Jason Pierre-Paul in the 1st and Cam Thomas in the 2nd. I mean, if we want to upgrade our defense, why not reach for the best ILB or OLB at #5, rather than the best safety? Adding McClain/Thomas would equal more wins than Berry/Thomas, wouldn't it?

Canada
04-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree entirely with you that Cam Thomas or Cody (or even Linval Joseph) would be terrific in the 2nd. But, rather than Berry, I think we'd be much better off getting a guy like Rolando McClain or Jason Pierre-Paul in the 1st and Cam Thomas in the 2nd. I mean, if we want to upgrade our defense, why not reach for the best ILB or OLB at #5, rather than the best safety? Adding McClain/Thomas would equal more wins than Berry/Thomas, wouldn't it?

In all honesty, I have no idea. I don't know enough about college football (outside of what I read on here and see on Path to the Draft. I think there are several options that will upgrade our defense. I hope we go on teh defensive side of the ball. Seems like a lot of our free agency moves have involved offensive players. We need help on the D and if I had to address our most important need then yes I agree it shouldt be NT or LB. As to which players they get, i'll leave that up to the people who know!!:bananen_smilies046:

Bike
04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
We need an olb, an ilb, and a nt. The front 7 needs to be solidified before we consider so-called "playmakers" or "luxury" picks...

Chieffaninfl
04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
McClain Yeah!!

OPLookn
04-17-2010, 10:44 PM
We need an olb, an ilb, and a nt. The front 7 needs to be solidified before we consider so-called "playmakers" or "luxury" picks...

Which is why I like for the first 4 picks of the draft...

Round 1 : Dan Williams (NT) Tennessee

Round 2a : Jerry Hughes (OLB) TCU

Round 2b : Morgan Burnett (FS) Georgia Tech

Round 3 : Brandon Spikes (ILB) Florida

Connie Jo
04-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I wasn't trying to be rude, promise. But people keep throwing that word around like its magic. Eric Berry doesn't fit our needs? Who cares? He's a PLAYMAKER! Why would we draft Suh when we run a 3-4? He's a PLAYMAKER! It's like a kid who learns a big word for the first time and uses it completely out of context in every conversation.

A "playmaker" is someone who is a threat to make the big play every second he's on the field. A RB or WR whose always a missed tackle away from breaking the TD is a playmaker. In terms of defense, guys like Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis, and Derrick Brooks (when they were in their primes) are playmakers. There's the chance every play that they'll force a fumble, cause an INT, or knock the opposing player out of the game, whether the opposing team is running, passing, or quick-kicking.

Punters aren't playmakers. Free safeties aren't playmakers. Defensive ends aren't playmakers. Kickers aren't playmakers. Cornerbacks aren't playmakers. Any player who is away from the action over 50% of plays isn't a playmaker.

Eric Berry may be the next Ed Reed, but he won't be a "playmaker." And before someone claims otherwise, he won't be playing SS in the NFL. He did his last season at Tennessee, but against larger NFL players he'll be a last line of defense/ballhawk. And he'll excel at that. But he isn't a solution for our team's problems.

Good post! REP!

I'm on the draft Berry @ #5 wagon, however...I agree that Berry is nota solution to our team's problem's, rather he is one solution moving in the right direction of solving our problem's overall...and is the best choice available to us with solving one significant problem area. :)

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2010, 01:56 AM

So Polamalu was a luxury Pick??? Have you seen the steelers defense without Troy in it? It is god awful. One game changing safety can effect the opposing teams offense in many ways.

I sir, would not consider Berry a luxury pick, i consider S a huge need on this team.

chief31
04-18-2010, 02:19 AM
So Polamalu was a luxury Pick??? Have you seen the steelers defense without Troy in it? It is god awful. One game changing safety can effect the opposing teams offense in many ways.

I sir, would not consider Berry a luxury pick, i consider S a huge need on this team.

I saw it in the years before they got him. And they were stellar.

At that time, it was most definitely a luxury pick. But then, they were in a position to be able to afford such a luxury. And even Polamalu wasn't taken in the top ten.

Over the years The Steelers have become dependant on Polamalu because he has become a leader on the field for them.

But, eventhough they only had Polamalu for five games, are you aware that they ranked as the fifth-best defense in The NFL, as far as Yards allowed?

That's not quite what I would call "god aweful". It seems to me that they just had a hard time adjusting to not having that "luxury" and team leader out there.

Bike
04-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Maybe at the time Pittsburg selected him he wasn't a "luxury" pick. But with the holes on this current KC team, he would most definetely be considered a "luxury" pick. Fix the trenches.

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
That's not quite what I would call "god aweful". It seems to me that they just had a hard time adjusting to not having that "luxury" and team leader out there.

Well my friend, if getting beat by the Browns, Chiefs, and the Raiders is not god awful for a championship caliber team, then i do not know what is.

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe at the time Pittsburg selected him he wasn't a "luxury" pick. But with the holes on this current KC team, he would most definetely be considered a "luxury" pick. Fix the trenches.

I guess its all a matter of opinion. In my opinion a playmaker on defense who can change a game any given play is much more valuable than a lineman. I wanna kick CP's *** for picking LJ over Polamalu to this day! I do not want to see Berry blossom into the elite playmaker category and not be in a Chiefs uniform.

Bike
04-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I guess its all a matter of opinion. In my opinion a playmaker on defense who can change a game any given play is much more valuable than a lineman. I wanna kick CP's *** for picking LJ over Polamalu to this day! I do not want to see Berry blossom into the elite playmaker category and not be in a Chiefs uniform.
Yeah I'm a firm believer that if you possess the leagues 30th-ranked defense, you might want to rebuild the engine before installing the new kick-a$$ stereo...

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah I'm a firm believer that if you possess the leagues 30th-ranked defense, you might want to rebuild the engine before installing the new kick-a$$ stereo...

Eff that, throw some rims on it, tint the windows, install a huge stereo and worry about the engine later. JK

Anyways, i really don't understand how you really believe that a good safety is a luxury. I guess its all matter of opinion.

Bike
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Eff that, throw some rims on it, tint the windows, install a huge stereo and worry about the engine later. JK

Anyways, i really don't understand how you really believe that a good safety is a luxury. I guess its all matter of opinion.
A safety would not be a luxury if our front 7 was built. Just my opinion though. Kinda like a$$holes and hand grenades - everybody's got one...??

Vanilla Garilla
04-18-2010, 11:38 AM
A safety would not be a luxury if our front 7 was built. Just my opinion though. Kinda like a$ and hand grenades - everybody's got one...??

I am a big one according to my wife on certain days lol.

Bike
04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
I am a big one according to my wife on certain days lol.
LOL! Me and wife are going for a walk then I got grass to mow. Later...:bananen_smilies046:

kcred
04-18-2010, 02:25 PM
The only way I see us taking Berry is if we trade down a few spots draft Berry to play corner, then address needs with aquired pics

chief31
04-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Well my friend, if getting beat by the Browns, Chiefs, and the Raiders is not god awful for a championship caliber team, then i do not know what is.

Then you clearly don't know what "god aweful" is.

9-7, with a top-five NFL defense isn't.

This is a team that, in spite of that terrible four-game skid, would have made the playoffs, if not for The Colts not needing a win against The Jets in week 16.

No doubt, they missed that luxury at SS. But they still did pretty well without him.

For a better example of "god aweful" see the '08 Kansas City Chiefs. 2-12 and the 31st ranked defense is "god aweful". 9-7 and fifth ranked defense....... is not.

matthewschiefs
04-19-2010, 09:26 AM
The only way I see us taking Berry is if we trade down a few spots draft Berry to play corner, then address needs with aquired pics

I do agree that if we do take Berry I think we would have traded down. I still don't see us takeing him at 5 but we will find out on Thursday MAN i love draft week.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM

No offense, but this diatribe is completely wrong. Like, 100 percent wrong.

You know what a playmaker is? A person who makes plays. I don't care what connotation it has in your personal psyche.

ed reed makes plays.
A playmaker is anyone who makes plays.
Ed reed is a playmaker.

In other news, a "bread baker" is someone who bakes bread.

A "leaf raker" is someone who rakes leaves.

A "coat taker" is someone who takes coats.

An "orgasm faker" is a woman who has never slept with me.

bwilliams
04-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, I guess every single NFL player ever is a playmaker, because they all make plays. Just as every woman is an "orgasm faker" as none have ever slept with you.

Bike
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I still think our 1st pick will be somebody named Williams...

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, I guess every single NFL player ever is a playmaker, because they all make plays. Just as every woman is an "orgasm faker" as none have ever slept with you.

god you're retarded.

kcnation
04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
i have a question off the beaten path here,since all my co-workers say tebow will not be a 1st round selection,which i say he would be,if he is still around should we take him with one of our 2 2nd rounders.....really he has to be the best athlete in the draft don't you agree

bwilliams
04-21-2010, 03:46 PM
god you're retarded.

Good comeback.

Canada
04-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Good comeback.

You two should meet out by the bike racks after school and settle it like Grade 4s...oh wait. :D

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, sorry, but it is a little stunted to just devolve into personal insults. I mean, if you have a point, make it. But don't get pissy just because someone disagrees with you.

So, yeah, I think it's retarded to start by making a point, then counter-argue with insult. I mean, you're not going to hurt my feelings, here, so what's the point?

bwilliams
04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Well, sorry, but it is a little stunted to just devolve into personal insults. I mean, if you have a point, make it. But don't get pissy just because someone disagrees with you.

So, yeah, I think it's retarded to start by making a point, then counter-argue with insult. I mean, you're not going to hurt my feelings, here, so what's the point?

I didn't insult you. Pointing out that you are, by your logic, a virgin is not an insult.

Grow up.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-21-2010, 04:12 PM
oh god you skewered me good!

"Virgin!" Hilarious!

Mountains of comedy pushing forth from your fingertips like a volcano of hilariousness. You literally erupt wit and humor!

With the fifth pick, I select...YOU, Captain Hysterical! You're a regular Joe Piscopo!

bwilliams
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
oh god you skewered me good!

"Virgin!" Hilarious!

Mountains of comedy pushing forth from your fingertips like a volcano of hilariousness. You literally erupt wit and humor!

With the fifth pick, I select...YOU, Captain Hysterical! You're a regular Joe Piscopo!

Good comeback.

pbatrucker
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
i have a question off the beaten path here,since all my co-workers say tebow will not be a 1st round selection,which i say he would be,if he is still around should we take him with one of our 2 2nd rounders.....really he has to be the best athlete in the draft don't you agree

were he has some upside, no I do not think he is the best athlete in the draft. If he takes off running in the NFL like he did in college he'll be on IR in no time. He will be real slow in the NFL.

chief31
04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
An "orgasm faker" is a woman who has never slept with me.

every woman is an "orgasm faker" as none have ever slept with you.

When you put your manhood out there with a wise-crack like this, expect a wise-crack in return.

Although, pursuing such small bait (<<<Note the wisecrack.) should be an embarrassment. :D

Chiefster
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
ENOUGH Both of you! Good lord grow up!

stricken721
04-21-2010, 10:58 PM
:meow: