PDA

View Full Version : We did it. We got Eric Berry!

buffman316
04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
We got Berry, who do you like next?

Coach
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
WR, LB, OL, NT. It all depends on who falls.

slimdagreat
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
DT has to be next

Drunker Hillbilly
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
May be weird but I think they may take an ILB. I don't agree and hope they don't.

Coach
04-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I think the higest rated player on the board heading into pick 2a will be a WR.

honda522
04-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I just fired a 1 shell salute to Berry in my back yard.

northwest
04-22-2010, 09:20 PM
im glad we have a defensive stud now.

jacko58
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
bbbeeerrryyy!!!!!! wooooottt

slimdagreat
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I could see them taking an ILB as well

loyalchief91
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
yes!

matthewschiefs
04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I am not thrilled with berry pick but its not a bad pick. I just wish we got o line or pass rush help first. Oh well berry should be good.
Golden tate please.

complexrealmz
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Berry is a playmaker we needed badly.. Also an instant emotional leader, biggest heart in the draft..

Next I would go ILB maybe WR depending on who is there..

SalinaChiefsFan
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Berry is a playmaker we needed badly.. Also an instant emotional leader, biggest heart in the draft..

Next I would go ILB maybe WR depending on who is there..

This. I'm not turning cartwheels over Berry, but I'm not depressed either. Would like to see WR addressed with 2a.

lucky_lefty
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I just fired a 1 shell salute to Berry in my back yard.
:drunkhb:

hometeam
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
all i got to say is

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

berry picks off bradford 12/19 in STL and TAKE SIT TO THE HOUSE! MARK IT!@

Coach
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I would expect KC to package a 5th rd pick with something else to move up at some point. They may even pick again tonight.

figcrostic
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
We got Berry, who do you like next?

Yeah and passed on Okung what were we thinking?

Eydugstr
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I am not thrilled with berry pick but its not a bad pick. I just wish we got o line...

+1. Berry's great and he will make an impact...But just don't want to see our O-line go neglected.

:chiefs:

raiderhater79
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I like this pick, KC needs a good strong safety in the backfield to help out in pass protection and against the run. They need O-line help too, but a Ed Reed type of player (fingers crossed) is the best choice here.

Bike
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
+1. Berry's great and he will make an impact...But just don't want to see our O-line go neglected.

:chiefs:
....again.

reded
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
If they can shore up that D line I think Berry will shine. If they don't give him some help we'll hear bust within 2 yrs. Mark my words!

hometeam
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Berry wont bust.

70 chiefsfan70
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
woohoo!!!! This is Great! Beware Opponents this guy will take it to the house! We have got us a pro bowler!

NT,ILB, OLB WR, 2 out of the 3 should be taken care of in the second round.

AkChief49
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
If they can shore up that D line I think Berry will shine. If they don't give him some help we'll hear bust within 2 yrs. Mark my words!
I always thought you built from the inside out. But Berry is a Chief and I'm good with that!! He seems like the right 53 type and Flowers was wanting him to come to the Chiefs the whole time. Should be a pretty good D backfield. Now, will Quinten Lawrence give up #14?

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
great pick in my EYES!!!! GO CHIEFS

yashi
04-23-2010, 12:10 AM
About time we get some freaking speed and a playmaker on defense.

kckidd8870
04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
For those who said were not getting Berry.what do you have to say now.lol I excited.Hopefully we get Golden Tate to add just one more offensive threat.Then the best linebacker available at 2b.Go chiefs

Hayvern
04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
For those who said were not getting Berry.what do you have to say now.lol I excited.Hopefully we get Golden Tate to add just one more offensive threat.Then the best linebacker available at 2b.Go chiefs

I have to say I was wrong. Go ahead rub it in and gloat about it, I'll wait!

:meow: :efpge:

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 12:58 AM

I said for the last 4 months I didn't think there was a chance the Chiefs would take him. Yesterday I did say I was leaning towards they might take him. But the fact that they actually did take him, I'm still kinda shocked....AND VERY STOKED! So here I am, coming out and saying it, I have been completely and utterly wrong over the last 4 months.

That said, can't wait to see this kid play. Secondary is pretty much set. Let's get Kindle at 36 and we instantly have a pass rush. Maybe Cam Thomas or Tate if he's there at 50. Loving the way this draft is looking, a lot of projected first rounders falling into the early 2nd.

Hayvern
04-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Now, will Quinten Lawrence give up #14?

Why would he have to? Eric Berry cannot wear the number 14 in the NFL

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 01:01 AM
I also said we would not take him. A bit of a surprise. But like I said, I like the pick the dude is a player. Welcome to the "Fifth Dimension"

Hayvern
04-23-2010, 01:02 AM
I heard Mortensen talking tonight on ESPN radio that Kansas City might be thinking of trading up to have a shot at Claussen since he is on the books still. While I wouldn't mind seeing the local Southern California boy in Chiefs red, I just don't see the need in QB that everyone else seems to think we have.

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I heard Mortensen talking tonight on ESPN radio that Kansas City might be thinking of trading up to have a shot at Claussen since he is on the books still. While I wouldn't mind seeing the local Southern California boy in Chiefs red, I just don't see the need in QB that everyone else seems to think we have.

I think it's a mistake, but have thought that if he falls to round 2, Charlie is gonna be all over everyone's *** to get him.

I'd like to say we're set at QB. There are a lot of other positions that could be addressed in the 2nd round. The defense still needs help.

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Why would he have to? Eric Berry cannot wear the number 14 in the NFL
you are correct sir, I had forgot about the more strict numbering system in the NFL:bananen_smilies046:

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Where's Aussie? This is gonna feel like Christmas for him.

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Where's Aussie? This is gonna feel like Christmas for him.
I'm sure he'll be flashing that big smilie face tonight

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 01:14 AM
I just read that Berry was penalized ONE time in his 3 year college career. A pass interference call his freshman year. That's pretty ridiculous!

tenacious
04-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Drafting Eric Berry will have Aussie shootin blanks for days. Haha j/k, but seriously, welcome aboard Berry.

Connie Jo
04-23-2010, 01:50 AM

I knew someone would say it, hahaha. There were sure many who said we'd never take Berry. Never say never! :D

I was at the Draft Day Party tonight held inside the training facility at Arrowhead. I was jumping up & down yelling with joy, as were many others...when our pick was announced as Eric Berry. I thought of Aussie too...knowing how happy he'd be as well.
:yahoo:

I was pretty sure Pioli would indeed take Berry. Berry is a win win pick for Pioli, makes intelligent business sense from every aspect of a GM's point of view:

1) Berry is a playmaker
2) Berry fulfills a critical need
3) Berry was a popular choice among a majority of fans...a good GM consider's the fans voice, especially when fans are unhappy with their team.
4) Berry will help boost ticket sales...assuming he lives up to expectations.

kcallin
04-23-2010, 01:56 AM
To all the people who said no to Berry, sorry for your luck, I said all along we needed to take Berry at 5 the only way we could have passed is if Suh fell to 5, so here it is

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

Argo
04-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Tip of the Hat to Aussie Fan .. he never doubt it!

I cant believe it , but lets hope it turns out for the best.

GO CHIEFS!

g8rb8t
04-23-2010, 03:02 AM
I am not thrilled with berry pick but its not a bad pick. I just wish we got o line or pass rush help first. Oh well berry should be good.
Golden tate please.

I'm in the same exact boat. I do like Berry but I think an OT would of been a better choice. Reaching for a Safety at the point does bother me. But right now we need to get a better pass rush up front to see the full potential of Berry. So DT is next or LB.

But I guess at least we have a GM now that is trying to make the team better with good drafting unlike Peterson.

chief31
04-23-2010, 03:38 AM
I am ok with Berry. Hope he can play here, and perform up to the lofty expectations. If he does, then he will be an amazing addition.

When I saw that Washington passed on Okung, I got my hopes up. But, yet again, the theory of "the piss-poor play we have had is good enough" reigned supreme. So, as with each of the past four drafts, the O-line is again underappreciated.

However, there are still a couple of top OT prospects available. Should they slip past the first four picks tomorrow, then maybe we can see a legitimate attempt to improve that are of the team.

I'll have my fingers crossed.:D

Sn@keIze
04-23-2010, 04:06 AM
something for us to appreciate (in case you havent seen it already).

I have already sent it to all my donk friends, i encourage you to do the same.

YouTube- Best Plays of 2008: Eric Berry Clobbers Knowshon Moreno

g8rb8t
04-23-2010, 04:11 AM
something for us to appreciate (in case you havent seen it already).

I have already sent it to all my donk friends, i encourage you to do the same.

YouTube- Best Plays of 2008: Eric Berry Clobbers Knowshon Moreno (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hqGroNreE)

YouTube- Mr Moreno meets Mr Spikes

Three7s
04-23-2010, 04:38 AM
I am ok with Berry. Hope he can play here, and perform up to the lofty expectations. If he does, then he will be an amazing addition.

When I saw that Washington passed on Okung, I got my hopes up. But, yet again, the theory of "the piss-poor play we have had is good enough" reigned supreme. So, as with each of the past four drafts, the O-line is again underappreciated.

However, there are still a couple of top OT prospects available. Should they slip past the first four picks tomorrow, then maybe we can see a legitimate attempt to improve that are of the team.

And so it continues, does 8 sacks given up in like 9 games mean anything to people? And like you said, the draft isn't over.

jacko58
04-23-2010, 04:43 AM
blah blah so we didn't get the not top linemen this draft were going to get some steals later in the draft guys, deep linemen and the top ones this year werent elite there bellow alberts level of play, were gonna find some great linemen late in the draft gotta remember where will shields came from and wiegmann waters this guys weren't high picks

PawnshopMarimba
04-23-2010, 05:10 AM
You people seem to have forgotten that we've already upgraded our OL and drafting one with the first pick isn't as much a priority as it was, say, 6 months ago.

I'm thrilled that we got Berry. We do need to draft OL but between Lilja and Wiegmann there was no need to go out in the first round to do it.

I will be disappointed, however, if we don't take an OL with one of our 2nd round picks.

chief31
04-23-2010, 05:56 AM
And so it continues, does 8 sacks given up in like 9 games mean anything to people? And like you said, the draft isn't over.

No. That doesn't mean anything to people.

Now, if you prefer to discuss the 18 sacks that they gave up in the last nine games, then I'd like to add that it was 45 sacks in 16 games.

Yes, they allowed fewer sacks and the team managed some solid rushing numbers down the stretch. But an NFL season is 16 games long.

I have hoped for two years that Albert would emerge as a good LOT. But it hasn't happened yet, and the rest of this o-line is just as suspect as any area of this team.

Just pointing out that they managed to look good for four or five games does not remove that they looked terrible for the previous 40+ games.

Fansincebirth
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Love the Berry Pick. Most of the Sacks came up the middle. We have improved that with the release of Wade Smith and the Addition of Lilja and Weigman. Dont forget we will have Brown back this year.
Dont see us going O line until 4th round and then will be C/OG
Next pick
Wow Cody, Tate, or Kindle whichever is there.

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM

pretty much my sentiments exactly. Need some young blood on the line!!

Coach
04-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Love the Berry Pick. Most of the Sacks came up the middle. We have improved that with the release of Wade Smith and the Addition of Lilja and Weigman. Dont forget we will have Brown back this year.
Dont see us going O line until 4th round and then will be C/OG
Next pick
Wow Cody, Tate, or Kindle whichever is there.

Or we could just get Taylor Mays as well. Mays/Berry??. My #1 choice for pick 2a would be Sergio Kindle, then Bruce Cambell(RT value), then Tate/Benn, then Saffold. Cody will be there at 50 and if he isn't, oh well. He's not a player worth trading up for imo.

Drunker Hillbilly
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
With a top 5 pick, IMO it is more important to draft the best available talent than it is to draft because of need. In fact I think that's important most of the time when you have more than 1 deficiency on your team. I think we accomplished that yesterday. Having said that, most of you know how much I harp on the O line needs, let's hope we can improve a little from here.

buffman316
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I really like the Kindle option next! Come on Aussie, time to toast a beer!

AkChief49
04-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Jon Asamoah is at the very least a start.

chief31
04-24-2010, 01:29 AM
With a top 5 pick, IMO it is more important to draft the best available talent than it is to draft because of need. In fact I think that's important most of the time when you have more than 1 deficiency on your team. I think we accomplished that yesterday. Having said that, most of you know how much I harp on the O line needs, let's hope we can improve a little from here.

I am the polar opposite.

In the first round, you are gonna get a guy who you expect to have starting immediately, and making a significant upgrade to that position.

In the second round, you get players that you really want to have starting right away, and think they could be an upgrade at their position.

The third round, you take guys who have a decent chance of starting, right away, or in a year or so.

Beyond that, it becomes part-timers and long-shots.

So, you have three rounds in which you are looking for players who can start, and possibly upgrade their FULL-TIME positions.

And that is why I want to be very selective of which positions I am addressing. I don't want to upgrade a minor position, nor make a minor upgrade to any position, if there is a major upgrade to one of the most important positions to my team.

At the very least, the positional concept has to be taken into account. If you have Tom Brady and he has just won his second Super Bowl, you don't use your top pick on a QB, rather he is the most talented, or not. And, you don't take a Kicker at #2 overall, even if he is the most talented player in the draft.

You can't be pure of either concept. You can't go in with your mind made up that you are getting "position A" in the first. Just like you can't go in with a "Most talented guy available" mindset.

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 04:51 AM
I am the polar opposite.

In the first round, you are gonna get a guy who you expect to have starting immediately, and making a significant upgrade to that position.

In the second round, you get players that you really want to have starting right away, and think they could be an upgrade at their position.

The third round, you take guys who have a decent chance of starting, right away, or in a year or so.

Beyond that, it becomes part-timers and long-shots.

So, you have three rounds in which you are looking for players who can start, and possibly upgrade their FULL-TIME positions.

And that is why I want to be very selective of which positions I am addressing. I don't want to upgrade a minor position, nor make a minor upgrade to any position, if there is a major upgrade to one of the most important positions to my team.

At the very least, the positional concept has to be taken into account. If you have Tom Brady and he has just won his second Super Bowl, you don't use your top pick on a QB, rather he is the most talented, or not. And, you don't take a Kicker at #2 overall, even if he is the most talented player in the draft.

You can't be pure of either concept. You can't go in with your mind made up that you are getting "position A" in the first. Just like you can't go in with a "Most talented guy available" mindset.

You don't think Berry is that?

I don't know, this whole post I can't make anything out of....You don't go with the mindset that you get the best player at a position, but you also don't go with the most talented guy.

If you're trying to say we should go with the best player that fits "any" need, ok, I got ya. How does Berry not fit that?

I hear ya that he doesn't fulfill one of the front 7/O-line positions, but the Chiefs did make some moves in free agency to address these needs. I'm gonna trust the judgement of the guys who evaluate this stuff every single day of their lives to say, "Hey, we're comfortable with the O-line and front 7 now, let's get the best player in the draft to address a big need we have at safety."

Again, I'm also one of the guys that was totally on the "No way we draft Berry bandwagon." Can't say I'm disappointed though.

chief31
04-24-2010, 05:38 AM
You don't think Berry is that?

I don't know, this whole post I can't make anything out of....You don't go with the mindset that you get the best player at a position, but you also don't go with the most talented guy.

If you're trying to say we should go with the best player that fits "any" need, ok, I got ya. How does Berry not fit that?

I hear ya that he doesn't fulfill one of the front 7/O-line positions, but the Chiefs did make some moves in free agency to address these needs. I'm gonna trust the judgement of the guys who evaluate this stuff every single day of their lives to say, "Hey, we're comfortable with the O-line and front 7 now, let's get the best player in the draft to address a big need we have at safety."

Again, I'm also one of the guys that was totally on the "No way we draft Berry bandwagon." Can't say I'm disappointed though.

Well, no matter how badly you need a Kicker, you don't go after him at #5 right?

Your team needs should be prioritized. If you are a medicore pass defense, and a terible run defense, then run defense is of bigger need. (We were 22nd against the pass, and 31st against the run)

But I wasn't attacking the Berry selection. I think it was out of touch, but not way out of touch.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Berry is good against the run as well as against the pass. Crennell was able to do work outs with the man and seen what he can do in a workout. I am sure he wiped the druel off his chin before he said take him.

yashi
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I also think Berry will help our running game. Mike Brown whiffed on so many freaking tackles last season in the running game it made me cry at night. Find me video of Eric Berry missing tackles and I'll give you a cookie. They don't exist!

chief31
04-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I also think Berry will help our running game. Mike Brown whiffed on so many freaking tackles last season in the running game it made me cry at night. Find me video of Eric Berry missing tackles and I'll give you a cookie. They don't exist!

YouTube- Eric Berry gets juked out of his shoes by Cory Boyd

matthewschiefs
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
YouTube- Eric Berry gets juked out of his shoes by Cory Boyd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3UVnudTSYA&feature=related)

SO you find 1 play in college were he messed up. I am sure i can find INTs thrown by peyton manning at tennesee. Does that make him to the colts a bad pick.

chief31
04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
SO you find 1 play in college were he messed up. I am sure i can find INTs thrown by peyton manning at tennesee. Does that make him to the colts a bad pick.

No. Why? Did somebody say that it did?