PDA

View Full Version : Who do we get at 2a?

Bike
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
So ok I screwed up our 1a pick. I'm asking for your help on 2a!!

yashi
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Clausen is so tempting. I'm terrified of the fact that Cassel played worse down the stretch last season despite the blocking improving dramatically and Charles emerging. He's also due a 7.5 million team option next season and has a front-loaded contract, so release next offseason isn't completely out of the question if he struggles this year.

Aside from him, Charles Brown, Golden Tate, Sergio Kindle, Terrance Cody.

Bike
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Do we pass on Bruce Campbell if he's still around?

bbacker51
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I like Kindle, I would be Derrick Johnson would appreciate playing with another longhorn

pbatrucker
04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Brown, Saffold, and Tate are probably at the top of the list. Tate for obvious reasons. We only have 3 OT's on the roster, picking up another is a must.

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Do we pass on Bruce Campbell if he's still around?

Y-E-S! Campbell is massively overrated. His skills are raw and his attitude is bad. He's going to be someone's long term project, not a rokkie or 2nd year starter.

We should go Charles Brown or Ducasse in the 2nd. Ducasse should last till 2b, where I'm begging Pioli takes him. He's my favorite OL prospect in this draft.

Bike
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Y-E-S! Campbell is massively overrated. His skills are raw and his attitude is bad. He's going to be someone's long term project, not a rokkie or 2nd year starter.

We should go Charles Brown or Ducasse in the 2nd. Ducasse should last till 2b, where I'm begging Pioli takes him. He's my favorite OL prospect in this draft.
Then at 2a I would say Clausen, Tate, Kindle, or Washington whosever avail...and get our OL 2b...

okikcfan
04-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Clausen would be a wasted pick at this point, I think they will pick Golden Tate with the 2a if he is there....

lucky_lefty
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Anyone who's saying Kindle should rethink that pick:

Allow me to point you to an article written by respected Longhorns beat reporter Chip Brown of the UT Rivals.com site. It reports on what he terms "a potential bombshell brewing" regarding the knee injury Kindle played with in 2009.

"There are a handful of teams who have graded Kindle as a 'serious' medical risk because of his knee, which one team said looks like it could require Kindle to have microfracture surgery," Brown wrote in the article.

Yikes.

"Microfracture is a surgery to create cartilage in the knee when it becomes a bone-on-bone situation," he continued. "It's a surgery athletes tend to have near the end of their careers. Not at the beginning. According to some teams, Kindle's medical exams showed a series of trauma on the knee that could limit his career

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Then at 2a I would say Clausen, Tate, Kindle, or Washington whosever avail...and get our OL 2b...

Honestly, I'm very worried about the right side of our OL. Old, small, and/or slow are the words that may best describe Weigmann, Lilja, and/or O'Callaghan. Getting a couple OL starters (Brown at RT and Ducasse at RG) could go a long way to fixing our offesnvie problems. I mean, I wouldn't be unhappy with another position at 2a, but some legit young starters on the OL couldn't hurt.

I do say that we shouldn't draft Kindle (his recently discovered knee microfracture problem). And we can get a ILB, even a starting ILB in the 4th or 5th, so I wouldn't go Washington (who'll be better in a 4-3 anyway, I think).

Man, drafting Clausen is a risky idea. You've basically ended any long-term Cassel plans. If I'm drafting Clausen, I'm on the phone to the Bills right now offering Cassel in trade.

Bike
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Honestly, I'm very worried about the right side of our OL. Old, small, and/or slow are the words that may best describe Weigmann, Lilja, and/or O'Callaghan. Getting a couple OL starters (Brown at RT and Ducasse at RG) could go a long way to fixing our offesnvie problems. I mean, I wouldn't be unhappy with another position at 2a, but some legit young starters on the OL couldn't hurt.

I do say that we shouldn't draft Kindle (his recently discovered knee microfracture problem). And we can get a ILB, even a starting ILB in the 4th or 5th, so I wouldn't go Washington (who'll be better in a 4-3 anyway, I think).

Man, drafting Clausen is a risky idea. You've basically ended any long-term Cassel plans. If I'm drafting Clausen, I'm on the phone to the Bills right now offering Cassel in trade.
I'm ok with this - if we can get Cam Thomas at 3a...

Diesel
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
IMO it has to be Kindle or Tate.

Bike
04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
IMO it has to be Kindle or Tate.Mays sounds pretty intruiging if he's there but I don't think Pioli pulls that trigger. Too much like Pollard imo...

Diesel
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Well now they are talking about a possible micro fracture with Kindle. Health concerns could be too much to pull the trigger on him. So he may not be the guy for us. If Tate is off the board we could end up going OL at pick 36. Or maybe they targer another 3-4 hybrid guy like a Rickey Sapp to get after the QB.

Diesel
04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Mays sounds pretty intruiging if he's there but I don't think Pioli pulls that trigger. Too much like Pollard imo...

Mays is interesting and becomes even moreso the more he falls. Like you I can't see us or any NFL team for that matter taking two safeties back to back that hight. I will say though it's not like we are stacked we couldn't use him. All we have other than Berry is Page (who may not even want to play in KC anymore) and question marks. Berry at free and Mays at strong probly looks pretty good to Romeo lol. And Romeo loves big SS who he can play in the box, that is Mays' mo.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Possible combinations:

Scenario #1

Brown RT
Tate WR

We protect Matt Cassel and give him a sure-handed weapon who knows the offense from day one. better than knows it...is an expert.

Drawback: Our run defense still needs major support.

Scenario #2:

Taylor Mays
Terrence Cody

Mays has never been accused of character or work ethic issues. With two of the best safeties in all of college football, teams would have legit fears about passing the ball against us. If Page's injury is lingering, this might be a real possibility.

Drawback: While Mays would be an asset in run support and hits over the middle, we still lack in initial push in the trenches. We still also don't address the number of dropped passes last year.

Scenario #3

Arrelious Benn
Linval Joseph

Joseph isn't massive like Cody, but he has the perfect frame at 6'4 1/2 and 320 pounds to not only occupy blockers at the nose, but also to see over the offensive linemen and direct his interference towards the play. sight line is key for a nose tackle, and one reason Dorsey, at 6'1, might not succeed there.

Drawback: with dorsey potentially moving to the nose, we are phasing out a top 5 pick by drafting a space eater here. Maybe a dorsey trade could help? Depends on what we get, I suppose.

Scenario #4

Everson Griffen
Terrence Cody

griffen has the size to play in romeo's defense - he likes bigger outside linebackers, less rangey guys than Pittsburgh's version. With Cody eating up space in the middle, dorsey and jackson on the ends, griffen could do some damage taking over for the aging vrabel. Also the last chance to have Vrabel mentor his replacement.

Scenario #5

Saffold
Cody

best of both worlds. We protect Cassel and also massively upgrade our run support.

Drawbacks: No pass catcher, no pass rusher. With Cody, Cam Thomas, Linval Joseph, and Troupe still available, we might be able to grab a legit nose tackle with our third rounder, though I think most of us have that one pegged as an inside linebacker.

DC_Chiefsfan
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I would really like to see Tate and ducasse or Navorro Bowman in the 2nd and Troup in the 3rd.

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't think there's anyway Tampa doesn't take a WR here (they seriously have no WRs). The question is will it be Benn or Tate. I would not mind either, both were tremendous college players.

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't think there's anyway Tampa doesn't take a WR here (they seriously have no WRs). The question is will it be Benn or Tate. I would not mind either, both were tremendous college players.

Now I'm looking that the Rams might look for a WR for Bradford. Benn and Tate both might be gone in the first 3 picks.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
We have the fourth pick. Vikes have the 2nd pick and won't be taking a WR.

Rams could still be looking for that defensive tackle to pair with Chris Long. Brian Price at the top of the round might happen.

of course, this is all predicated on the idea that no one trades up for a QB ahead of Minnesota.

Bike
04-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Now I'm looking that the Rams might look for a WR for Bradford. Benn and Tate both might be gone in the first 3 picks.
If both gone, then take the best NT available. Cody/Joseph/Thomas depending on who Crennel/Pioli has highest on their board. We need to fill this hole and really don't want to pick up leftovers at 2b or 3a...Then with 2b get an OL Brown or Ducasse...

Seek
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Not that it matters, but Tim Grundhardt was the radio this morning. He said with talking to Weis. He had mentioned tha the offensive line needed help. Weis said NO, our QB sucked. We need to fix him.

Grunhardt still though they needs to fix the oline and I agreed. (enter Claussen maybe???) I hope not.

With that, I would prefer eithre Kindel or Saffold. While critical of Albert at LT, I am okay giving him another year, but our RT needs help bad... You can say our O line improved the second half all you want. O'callahan was a liability. Our schedule was much easier the second half and J. Charles made the difference. I want Safford to solidify the line a little more. If Albert still struggles well, lets fix LT next year and have Waters replacement ready with Albert.

jap1
04-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Not that it matters, but Tim Grundhardt was the radio this morning. He said with talking to Weis. He had mentioned tha the offensive line needed help. Weis said NO, our QB sucked. We need to fix him.

Grunhardt still though they needs to fix the oline and I agreed. (enter Claussen maybe???) I hope not.

With that, I would prefer eithre Kindel or Saffold. While critical of Albert at LT, I am okay giving him another year, but our RT needs help bad... You can say our O line improved the second half all you want. O'callahan was a liability. Our schedule was much easier the second half and J. Charles made the difference. I want Safford to solidify the line a little more. If Albert still struggles well, lets fix LT next year and have Waters replacement ready with Albert.

Wow. I cannot believe Weis would straight out say Cassel was the problem. That is interesting. I also agree that anyone we pick up now on the OL would be a RT. I think Albert will do better, and if he doesnt (like you said) we will have to get a LT next year and Albert will replace Waters.

lucky_lefty
04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
If Fat Boy really said that, that's really low class & disrespectful. After the stunt I heard he pulled last night at the draft party, I see why alot of ND alums despised his azz

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm hearing rumors of TE Rob Gronkowski...

bbacker51
04-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Think there will be any trades?:drunkhb: :chiefs:

Bike
04-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Wow. I cannot believe Weis would straight out say Cassel was the problem. That is interesting. I also agree that anyone we pick up now on the OL would be a RT. I think Albert will do better, and if he doesnt (like you said) we will have to get a LT next year and Albert will replace Waters.
Yeah not a good way to start out a qb/oc relationship - unless they are planning to end it...

Drunker Hillbilly
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
So much for Charles being the future!!!

yashi
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
So much for Charles being the future!!!

I think McCluster was drafted to be used like Percy Harvin. Mostly a slot receiver and kick returner, who can take an occasional carry or end around. He's only 5'8" 172 lbs.

Drunker Hillbilly
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I think McCluster was drafted to be used like Percy Harvin. Mostly a slot receiver and kick returner, who can take an occasional carry or end around. He's only 5'8" 172 lbs.
Terrible pick!

chief31
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Terrible pick!

Agreed.

There was no other position, including Kicker that would have been any less appropriate.

Hayvern
04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Terrible pick!

Agreed, what a horrible pick, we get another small back just like Charles? What the hell are we thinking anyway? There was no one any better at any other needed position than this guy?

I am willing to accept the Berry thing because he is a good player, but this made no freaking sense of any kind!

yashi
04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
McCluster is probably going to playing slot receiver, people. He played just as much of it as he did RB in college, and it's what he was playing at the Senior Bowl.

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 09:18 PM
McCluster is probably going to playing slot receiver, people. He played just as much of it as he did RB in college, and it's what he was playing at the Senior Bowl.

Great, a converted 5'8" slot receiver. Consider me underwhelmed.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah I agree. I think there's no need to strain to get any more WRs. I think he can fill that hole at WR.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Great, a converted 5'8" slot receiver. Consider me underwhelmed.
Would you like him if he was taller?
Look at Wes Welker, he's short and he's a great WR!

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 09:21 PM

Yeah, if he were 5" to 6" taller and had played WR his college career, I'd like him more.

Short WRs can work. They most often don't. We should have passed on this selection and saved the salary.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, if he were 5" to 6" taller and had played WR his college career, I'd like him more.

Short WRs can work. They most often don't. We should have passed on this selection and saved the salary.
I'm a short kid and I'm hoping to one day play WR for my dads uni. It might not last but hey, I have good hands.

Seek
04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
It took Dante Hall, what 4 years to kind of convert to WR. Its just a bad pick.

Drunker Hillbilly
04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
This draft went from an A to a D for me in a hurry!

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 01:42 AM

I love to vote for the little guy and guys like Welker and Sproles are very good players for their size.

It is possible that with a better training regimine that this kid could turn into as dominating of a force as Welker or Sproles and I really hope he does. I have to think that that Pioli knows what he is doing and having a utility player like this can help.

I just can't seem to get Dantrell Savage out of my head.