PDA

View Full Version : The chiefs second round picks reveal a team ready to win

whatwasthat?
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
NFL Draft 2010: The Chiefs Second Round Picks Reveal A Team Ready to Win - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/4/23/1440363/nfl-draft-2010-the-chiefs-second)

NFL Draft 2010: The Chiefs Second Round Picks Reveal A Team Ready to Win

Here's assuming most of us never saw this coming. The Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/KAN) second round choices have probably stumped most of us and left the best of us scratching our heads. But instead of seeming unclear, the 2010 NFL Draft is revealing some interesting cards the Chiefs have been holding for some time and it means that things are much more exciting that we ever realized.

So to help you out, I mind-melded with Scott Pioli after the 50th pick to check in with what he was thinking. And what we found out is worth hearing:

1. Scott Pioli has one thing in mind: getting playmakers on every facet of the team.

Consider this. The offense, the defense and special teams units all now have an absolute home run hitter in place. On any level, the Chiefs now have someone you can actually expect to make a game-changing play. Eric Berry is absolutely electric in the defensive backfield. Dexter McCluster can be utilized all over the offensive side and is someone that defensive coordinators absolutely have to account for. And Javier Arenas is being called the best returner in the entire draft.

At the NFL level, it's those truly special talents that usually change the final outcome. It's the fantastic return that generates the unexpected field position. It's the guy with great hands who comes through in the clutch. It's the unshakeable kicker. It's the uber-athleticism of someone like McCluster that breaks a play wide open. And certainly, we knew that Berry was already capable of such things.

Of course, you can't do anything without an appropriate foundation, which leads me to...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/
2. Scott Pioli believes the foundation is already in-house or available elsewhere.

Remember this: if rookies get signed, then someone has to go. The Chiefs need some inside linebacker help, yet the Raiders (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/OAK) are the ones with Rolando McClain. Now the rumors are that a guy like Kirk Morrison (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3331/Kirk_Morrison) will be a free agent. Perhaps it's these sorts of pick-ups that Pioli is envisioning with the rest of the off-season available to him after the draft as teams must make moves to avoid roster bonuses, adjust rosters with the new rookies and so forth.

Then again, perhaps Pioli believes we're already set in some places where we thought we needed help. It's about that time for the young defensive linemen to take the next leap that we've all been waiting for. Our offensive line played better as the season went on. So perhaps the need to continue to build the lines just wasn't as pertinent as some of us were led to believe. A team only takes skill position players or return men when they're set in other places, so it says something about the Chiefs confidence in what they already have (or think they can get elsewhere) that they've grabbed Arenas and McCluster.

The big surprise, of course, is that we didn't think we were ready for "luxury" picks yet. We still thought the Chiefs still had some pouring to do for the foundation of his Kansas City house. But apparently, he has more confidence in his coordinators to bring solid play out of some guys who are already in house (or from later round choices) to allow some picks like this.

Either way, I like what this says about our team. It says our coordinators will raise the level of what we have. It also says the guys currently on the roster are better than you think. And it says that the Chiefs are ahead of the curve and ready to win.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I literally believe that this upcoming season, the Chiefs are playoff bound! The way this offseason (and the end of last season) is going I'm believing more and more that the Chiefs are a great team again!

I'm really excited for the season and i can't wait!

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, if they're PLAYMAKERS, that excuses everything. I thought a team needed NFL-quality offensive linemen, nose tackles, linebackers, strong safeties, and wide receivers. I guess not.

All we need are PLAYMAKERS!

northwest
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
pioli obviously has future transactions in mind. i love what he's doing so far. our fourth pick was great!

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, if they're PLAYMAKERS, that excuses everything. I thought a team needed NFL-quality offensive linemen, nose tackles, linebackers, strong safeties, and wide receivers. I guess not.

I'm guessing you're not enjoying this draft so far....

Connie Jo
04-23-2010, 09:50 PM
NFL Draft 2010: The Chiefs Second Round Picks Reveal A Team Ready to Win - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/4/23/1440363/nfl-draft-2010-the-chiefs-second)

Here's assuming most of us never saw this coming. The Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/KAN) second round choices have probably stumped most of us and left the best of us scratching our heads. But instead of seeming unclear, the 2010 NFL Draft is revealing some interesting cards the Chiefs have been holding for some time and it means that things are much more exciting that we ever realized.

So to help you out, I mind-melded with Scott Pioli after the 50th pick to check in with what he was thinking. And what we found out is worth hearing:

1. Scott Pioli has one thing in mind: getting playmakers on every facet of the team.

Consider this. The offense, the defense and special teams units all now have an absolute home run hitter in place. On any level, the Chiefs now have someone you can actually expect to make a game-changing play. Eric Berry is absolutely electric in the defensive backfield. Dexter McCluster can be utilized all over the offensive side and is someone that defensive coordinators absolutely have to account for. And Javier Arenas is being called the best returner in the entire draft.

At the NFL level, it's those truly special talents that usually change the final outcome. It's the fantastic return that generates the unexpected field position. It's the guy with great hands who comes through in the clutch. It's the unshakeable kicker. It's the uber-athleticism of someone like McCluster that breaks a play wide open. And certainly, we knew that Berry was already capable of such things.

Of course, you can't do anything without an appropriate foundation, which leads me to...

2. Scott Pioli believes the foundation is already in-house or available elsewhere.

Remember this: if rookies get signed, then someone has to go. The Chiefs need some inside linebacker help, yet the Raiders (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/OAK) are the ones with Rolando McClain. Now the rumors are that a guy like Kirk Morrison (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3331/Kirk_Morrison) will be a free agent. Perhaps it's these sorts of pick-ups that Pioli is envisioning with the rest of the off-season available to him after the draft as teams must make moves to avoid roster bonuses, adjust rosters with the new rookies and so forth.

Then again, perhaps Pioli believes we're already set in some places where we thought we needed help. It's about that time for the young defensive linemen to take the next leap that we've all been waiting for. Our offensive line played better as the season went on. So perhaps the need to continue to build the lines just wasn't as pertinent as some of us were led to believe. A team only takes skill position players or return men when they're set in other places, so it says something about the Chiefs confidence in what they already have (or think they can get elsewhere) that they've grabbed Arenas and McCluster.

The big surprise, of course, is that we didn't think we were ready for "luxury" picks yet. We still thought the Chiefs still had some pouring to do for the foundation of his Kansas City house. But apparently, he has more confidence in his coordinators to bring solid play out of some guys who are already in house (or from later round choices) to allow some picks like this.

Either way, I like what this says about our team. It says our coordinators will raise the level of what we have. It also says the guys currently on the roster are better than you think. And it says that the Chiefs are ahead of the curve and ready to win.

REP! Thanks for posting this, and I couldn't agree more with it's author aka analyst. That's what I'm talking about now! hahaha :D

matthewschiefs
04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I think the for the most part we have some nice parts on this team. Theres realy only 2 things i would like to see more of. Someone that can get to the QB before hes had time to read a thick book and take a nap on d. And some more o line help. You can never have to good of an o line. Outside of that I think that we are going to be a good football team. And with the NFC west this year we could sneak into the playoffs then who nos what can happen.

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm guessing you're not enjoying this draft so far....

You guessed right. What is our plan here?

To upgrade our DBs? Who cares when teams wil be able to gash us for 5 YPC.

To get a PLAYMAKER with our 2a pick to convert to WR? Who cares when our QB will have no time to throw because of a lousy OL.

A team with a NT, ILB, OLB, and OL as bad as our is not winning eight games.

Connie Jo
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM

~stomping feet, lower lip stuck out & shaking head tantrum in progress as I type this~

STOP! Your negativity is raining on my positive & happy day after Draft Day Party parade!

GO CHIEFS 2010!
YEEHAW we have ERIC BERRY!
:yahoo: :chiefs:

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:00 PM
~stomping feet, lower lip stuck out & shaking head tantrum in progress as I type this~

STOP! You're negativity is raining on my positive & happy day after Draft Day Party parade!

GO CHIEFS 2010!
Same here!:bananen_smilies046: :meow: :D

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 10:01 PM

STOP! You're negativity is raining on my positive & happy day after Draft Day Party parade!

GO CHIEFS 2010!

I'd pretend to be happy if I could. But damn. This is not the draft to get us back on track.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:02 PM

To get a PLAYMAKER with our 2a pick to convert to WR? Who cares when our QB will have no time to throw because of a lousy OL.

A team with a NT, ILB, OLB, and OL as bad as our is not winning eight games.I think you're the only person that is this unhappy wth this draft! I think the've made some great choices and so do most other chiefs fans!

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I'd pretend to be happy if I could. But damn. This is not the draft to get us back on track.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/04/114.jpg

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I think you're the only person that is this unhappy wth this draft! I think the've made some great choices and so do most other chiefs fans!

With all respect, most other Chiefs fans are wrong.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/04/114.jpg

Connie Jo
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Well, it's all in how you look at it I suppose. :)

Realistically, the draft alone will of course not get us back on track, but the overall picture of which includes positive changes in GM, coaching staff, the 2010 draft, trades prior to regular season, etc...IS GETTING US BACK ON TRACK!!

Hey, my womens intuition told me Pioli would indeed pick Berry, and it was right on. Well, that same intuition is telling me we are on the road to being a playoff team and Super Bowl Contender!!

I'll bet ya some of my homemade peanut butter chocolate fudge at the end of the 2010 season, that I'm right on again...wanna take the bet, whatcha ya got to offer? :D

:bananen_smilies046:

Ryfo18
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM

The Chiefs obviously think they have something in Shaun Smith at NT. They heavily addressed the OL in free agency. The OL was stellar in the last 8 games of the season. They under utilized DJ last year, but he's back and I would expect we see some more out of him.

The coaching staff is apparently happy with the front 7 and O-line. I have been on the same kick as you for the last 4 months prior to the draft. I'm actually kind of relieved to see that we're taking the HR hitters though. A lot of times that's all it takes to win a game. Sure there are some other needs, but this is a rebuilding process. I think getting the HR hitters now is going to definitely us out of the TOP 5 in the first round haha.

chief31
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I think you're the only person that is this unhappy wth this draft! I think the've made some great choices and so do most other chiefs fans!

He is not alone.

With one of the NFL's worst LOTs and rushing defenses, I think that a Nickle SB and a project Slot WR are probably not going to help alot.

I believe that, with having fealt pressured to pick a S in the first, Pioli is trying to prove that he can find miracle picks.

You know... Just make the job as difficult as possible, by using scraps and misfits at major positions, (Shaun Smith, Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja) and drafting guys that noone would have ever expected to be drafted that high.

Because, if you can succeed with that, then you are clearly a genius.

whatwasthat?
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM

technically, mccluster was a WR converted to RB :bananen_smilies046:

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
i think he could be a WR/KR for the chiefs this season

Coach
04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm happy with the draft so far. FS, WR(slot), KR/CB, OG, TE. All are positions of need imo.
I think Pioli took bpa in first two rounds, and took positions of need in 3rd.
Berry will start at FS. McCluster will likely start in the slot. Arenas will be starter as KR. All three are major playmakers. Its also likely that Moeaki will have a chance at starting as our TE. Asamoah, probably not right away but now we have a Brian Waters backup player

By my count that is 3, maybe 4 starters drafted in the first 3 rounds.
I'd say that's a really good couple of days.

Can't make everyone happy and address every need in the first 3 rounds.

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
The Chiefs obviously think they have something in Shaun Smith at NT. They heavily addressed the OL in free agency. The OL was stellar in the last 8 games of the season. They under utilized DJ last year, but he's back and I would expect we see some more out of him.

The coaching staff is apparently happy with the front 7 and O-line. I have been on the same kick as you for the last 4 months prior to the draft. I'm actually kind of relieved to see that we're taking the HR hitters though. A lot of times that's all it takes to win a game. Sure there are some other needs, but this is a rebuilding process. I think getting the HR hitters now is going to definitely us out of the TOP 5 in the first round haha.

OK:

1. Shaun Smith is not a NT. He's a 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT who will be converted to NT.

2. Signing a 37-year old center and an oft-injured small RG cut fron the Colts don't count as have "heavily addressed the OL in free agency."

3. Expect more if you want from DJ. Let me know if you find anything. I've been waiting 5 years.

4. Our OL was not the worst in the NFL for the last 8 games. That is not the same as "stellar."

5. The coaching staff may be happy with the OL and front 7. I don't care. They aren't good enough for us to win games.

6. You shouldn't apply to the term "home run hitters" to players who haven't hit any home runs. None of those we drafted have yet.

7. We've been rebuilding for four years. I can't say it any simpler than this: This team will never be rebuilt so long as our OL and run defense stink. We have not upgraded our run defense or OL in any significant way this offseason. Remember this in 2010 as Brendan Albert is called for a dozen holding penalties and our run defense gives up 200/yds a game.

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
OK:

2. Signing a 37-year old center and an oft-injured small RG cut fron the Colts don't count as have "heavily addressed the OL in free agency."

3. Expect more if you want from DJ. Let me know if you find anything. I've been waiting 5 years.

4. Our OL was not the worst in the NFL for the last 8 games. That is not the same as "stellar."

5. The coaching staff may be happy with the OL and front 7. I don't care. They aren't good enough for us to win games.

6. You shouldn't apply to the term "home run hitters" to players who haven't hit any home runs. None of those we drafted have yet.

7. We've been rebuilding for four years. I can't say it any simpler than this: This team will never be rebuilt so long as our OL and run defense stink. We have not upgraded our run defense or OL in any significant way this offseason. Remember this in 2010 as Brendan Albert is called for a dozen holding penalties and our run defense gives up 200/yds a game.
I'm starting to think that you like spotting all the negatives.

Even if they don't exist.
(Don't get me wrong, I know that it still need work but there aren't as many things wrong with the team as you say there are.)

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM

And now converted back again. Why was he converted to RB in the first place? Think it had to do with his route running and hands?

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
And now converted back again. Why was he converted to RB in the first place? Think it had to do with his route running and hands?Nah, maybe he was just better at running out of the backfield than running out of the slot. I think he'll still ba able to play Wr though.

whatwasthat?
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
And now converted back again. Why was he converted to RB in the first place? Think it had to do with his route running and hands?

:ninerssuck: watch his tape and tell me what you see

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM

(Don't get me wrong, I know that it still need work but there aren't as many things wrong with the team as you say there are.)

Look, I'd love nothing more than to be happy about this draft. But our team didn't need home-run hitters, FSs, KR/PR, TEs, CBs, RBs, or PLAYMAKERS, nearly as much as it needed:

1. A new C, RG, and RT (I swear, I'll hunt for sport the person who says Lilja and Weigmann count)

2. OLB/ILB - Studabaker/Mays aren't the answer.

3. A frakking NT!

You win games without a Reggie Bush-style RB/WR. You can get by with mediocre nickel cornerbacks. TE has never been a large part of Weis's offense.

You CAN NOT win games with a bad OL and a bad DL. You can't. Can't can't can't. Except for McCluster, none of these picks was "bad." But we needed starters at vertain positions if we wanted to be competitive in 2010. We didn't get them.

How should I look at this?

70 chiefsfan70
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM

STOP! Your negativity is raining on my positive & happy day after Draft Day Party parade!

GO CHIEFS 2010!

I like it!!!

It is a GREAT day at Chiefville!:chiefs:

70 chiefsfan70
04-23-2010, 10:51 PM

GO CHIEFS 2010!

I like it!!!
:efpge:

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I like it!!!
:efpge:
Exactly! We all agree that the draft has been a great success this far and 'bwilliams' is the only person who is unusually disappointed with it.

chief31
04-23-2010, 10:59 PM

First off, 6-30 over the past two seasons suggests that there is a whooooole lot wrong, certainly more than "Needs work".

On top of that, were ranked 25th in the league in pass protection, having allowed 45 sacks in 2009. (declined from 21st in '08.) Which suggests that we have actually gotten worse in that area, not better.

And, in run defense, went from 3rd worst in '08, to 2nd worst in '09.

Also, we went from the worst passrushing team, to the second worst.

These aren't minor issues, like kick return, they are the basis of what your team is.

We have been terrible, and didn't really improve much last season. This should indicate that you need major upgrades at the most heart of your offense and defense. (Oline/Dline).

While I am happy with the new coordinators, I think they needed more than a few guys who will get to play part-time, and a Safety.

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 11:04 PM
He is not alone.

With one of the NFL's worst LOTs and rushing defenses, I think that a Nickle SB and a project Slot WR are probably not going to help alot.

I believe that, with having fealt pressured to pick a S in the first, Pioli is trying to prove that he can find miracle picks.

You know... Just make the job as difficult as possible, by using scraps and misfits at major positions, (Shaun Smith, Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja) and drafting guys that noone would have ever expected to be drafted that high.

OK:

I have to agree with that. When you build anything, a good, strong foundation is needed. Jon Asamoah is not a bad start. Academic All American. Mean, nasty disposition on the field, I like.

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I have to agree with that. When you build anything, a good, strong foundation is needed. Jon Asamoah is not a bad start. Academic All American. Mean, nasty disposition on the field, I like.

The Asamoah pick is the one I really like. Rookie or no, I'd start him as ou RG in a heartbeat.

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM
The Asamoah pick is the one I really like. Rookie or no, I'd start him as ou RG in a heartbeat.
Agree. The gridiron game is a war, and it's won in the trenches.

chief31
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM

I want to like that pick. I want to like them all.

But we now a roster full of OGs and not one true OT.

bwilliams
04-23-2010, 11:19 PM

To be fair, I think we have three starting interior linemen (Asamoah, Waters, and Albert), two serviceable backups (Lilja and Weigmann), a below average RT (O'Callaghan), and nothing else.

AkChief49
04-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I know. I've been waiting since Willie retired for them to pick a LT. I like BA but if he was on the right side it would be better. At least they got someone in the 3rd round and did not wait until the fifth.

chief31
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I know. I've been waiting since Willie retired for them to pick a LT. I like BA but if he was on the right side it would be better. At least they got someone in the 3rd round and did not wait until the fifth.

True. Probably comparable to the effort put fourth for the 0line to all that was done over the previous three drafts. Had Albert been played at OG, then Herm would have had the advantage.

bigpoppachief
04-24-2010, 12:44 AM

Do you really know anything about football ? Seriosuly ever post I see of yours is negative and for what reason ? We are not the Detroit Lions and actually have some thing's in place that is going to make us a MUCH better team than last year.

There were ALOT of games we could of won with a far inferior team now we do actually have a better team and a favorable schedule/ MAY CHRIST COMPEL YOU ! If these players that are taken in this draft dont at least contribute I will admit I was wrong.

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 01:16 AM

No... he's not

kcred
04-24-2010, 02:22 AM
The royals have a better chance of making the post season than the chiefs do. Stop drinking the koolaid.. look for more blackouts in December. Open your eyes. The chiefs are at least 2yrs away from making the playoffs.

Three7s
04-24-2010, 02:50 AM
This draft has been bad, for most of the reasons chief31, vern, and bwilliams have already brought up.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 02:52 AM
The royals have a better chance of making the post season than the chiefs do. Stop drinking the koolaid.. look for more blackouts in December. Open your eyes. The chiefs are at least 2yrs away from making the playoffs.
Very Optimistic there (!)

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:02 AM

Excellant points. I completely agree that Pioli did not wish to go all broke on FA until after he knew what we had from this draft. Let us also not forget the undrafted men we will no doubt see trying to make the team.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:11 AM
If this is the case , I will be happy when it happens however I think it could happen in 2010. We are going into Haley's second year as well as Pioli's and the changes made to the team are astonishing. We may not make it to the Superbowl for 2 yrs but we should atleast be a wild card team in 2010. Just some positive optimism. :punk:

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:14 AM
If this is the case , I will be happy when it happens however I think it could happen in 2010. We are going into Haley's second year as well as Pioli's and the changes made to the team are astonishing. We may not make it to the Superbowl for 2 yrs but we should atleast be a wild card team in 2010. Just some positive optimism. :punk:
That's exactly what I think! 2010 I believe could quite possibly be a wild card year or even a divion winning year if the chargers fall apart midseason or something.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:19 AM
That's exactly what I think! 2010 I believe could quite possibly be a wild card year or even a divion winning year if the chargers fall apart midseason or something.
I project the Chargers to be out of the playoffs and the Donks as well. The Chiefs could win the division the way the other teams look.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:25 AM
I project the Chargers to be out of the playoffs and the Donks as well. The Chiefs could win the division the way the other teams look.
:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs: :punk: :yahoo: That's what I love to hear!

chief31
04-24-2010, 03:26 AM
I keep hearing these good things about Shaun Smith, as if he is the answer to our woefull run defense because of his and Romeo's past. So let's have a look at it...

(Only included games in which Smith was listed as a starter and under Crennel though '07 and '08.)

12/28/08 Steelers - 176 rushing yards.
12/15/08 Eagles - 134
12/07/08 Titans - 235
11/30/08 Colts - 90
11/17/08 Bills - 186
11/06/08 Broncos - 123
11/02/08 Ravens - 193
09/28/08 Bengals - 69
09/21/08 Ravens - 151

2008 Average rushing yards allowed - (1357/9=) 151 RYPG

12/30/07 Niners - 112
12/23/07 Bengals - 155
12/16/07 Bills - 108
12/09/07 Jets - 119
12/02/07 Cardinals - 133
11/25/07 Texans - 77
11/11/07 Steelers - 159
11/04/07 Seahawks - 105
10/28/07 Rams - 79
10/14/07 Dolphins - 110
10/07/07 Patriots - 147
09/30/07 Ravens - 111

(1415/12=) 118 RYPG

Two year total (132 RYPG)

KC 2009 RYPG - 156.5

The 2008 average for Smith would rank at 29th in 2009. The '07 average for Smith' games would rank 20th in 2009. And his two year total would rank 27th in '09.

By the numbers of RYPG allowed during those two seasons with Crennel, Smith wasn't exactly impressive. Slightly better than the '09 Chiefs. But not very encouraging as the saviour of our run defense.

Maybe he was doing an outstanding job, and everyone else was horrible. Unlikely to be the case, but certainly a slim possibility. I just don't like hanging our hopes on this.

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 03:29 AM
I keep hearing these good things about Shaun Smith, as if he is the answer to our woefull run defense because of his and Romeo's past. So let's have a look at it...

(Only included games in which Smith was listed as a starter and under Crennel though '07 and '08.)

12/15/08 Eagles - 134
12/07/08 Titans - 235
11/30/08 Colts - 90
11/17/08 Bills - 186
11/06/08 Broncos - 123
11/02/08 Ravens - 193
09/28/08 Bengals - 69
09/21/08 Ravens - 151

12/30/07 Niners - 112
12/23/07 Bengals - 155
12/16/07 Bills - 108
12/09/07 Jets - 119
12/02/07 Cardinals - 133
11/25/07 Texans - 77
11/11/07 Steelers - 159
11/04/07 Seahawks - 105
10/28/07 Rams - 79
10/14/07 Dolphins - 110
10/07/07 Patriots - 147
09/30/07 Ravens - 111

(1415/12=) 118 RYPG

KC 2009 RYPG - 156.5

The 2008 average for Smith would rank at 29th in 2009. The '07 average for Smith' games would rank 20th in 2009. And his two year total would rank 27th in '09.

By the numbers of RYPG allowed during those two seasons with Crennel, Smith wasn't exactly impressive. Slightly better than the '09 Chiefs. But not very encouraging as the saviour of our run defense.

Maybe he was doing an outstanding job, and everyone else was horrible. Unlikely to be the case, but certainly a slim possibility. I just don't like hanging our hopes on this.

At least we should put a few more points on the board next year. We took some reaches in my opinion, it's up to the coaching staff to mold these guys into impact players.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:29 AM

12/15/08 Eagles - 134
12/07/08 Titans - 235
11/30/08 Colts - 90
11/17/08 Bills - 186
11/06/08 Broncos - 123
11/02/08 Ravens - 193
09/28/08 Bengals - 69
09/21/08 Ravens - 151

12/30/07 Niners - 112
12/23/07 Bengals - 155
12/16/07 Bills - 108
12/09/07 Jets - 119
12/02/07 Cardinals - 133
11/25/07 Texans - 77
11/11/07 Steelers - 159
11/04/07 Seahawks - 105
10/28/07 Rams - 79
10/14/07 Dolphins - 110
10/07/07 Patriots - 147
09/30/07 Ravens - 111

(1415/12=) 118 RYPG

KC 2009 RYPG - 156.5

That's a good point, I dont think he's a permanent decision but maybe the link between coach and player will help him along.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:32 AM
At least we should put a few more points on the board next year. We took some reaches in my opinion, it's up to the coaching staff to mold these guys into impact players.
I think the offense will be great but the defense need working on at NT and at certain LB spots.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:32 AM

12/15/08 Eagles - 134
12/07/08 Titans - 235
11/30/08 Colts - 90
11/17/08 Bills - 186
11/06/08 Broncos - 123
11/02/08 Ravens - 193
09/28/08 Bengals - 69
09/21/08 Ravens - 151

12/30/07 Niners - 112
12/23/07 Bengals - 155
12/16/07 Bills - 108
12/09/07 Jets - 119
12/02/07 Cardinals - 133
11/25/07 Texans - 77
11/11/07 Steelers - 159
11/04/07 Seahawks - 105
10/28/07 Rams - 79
10/14/07 Dolphins - 110
10/07/07 Patriots - 147
09/30/07 Ravens - 111

(1415/12=) 118 RYPG

KC 2009 RYPG - 156.5

We certainly can't put the RYPG on one man. It takes 11 guys to get the job done. Berry is known for helping stop the run but he is a DB. I am encouraged to see how well Smith does with our supporting cast. 2010 has some interesting angles to look at.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:35 AM
We certainly can't put the RYPG on one man. It takes 11 guys to get the job done. Berry is known for helping stop the run but he is a DB. I am encouraged to see how well Smith does with our supporting cast. 2010 has some interesting angles to look at.
Yeah. The other 2 or 3 D-lineman at Cleveland could have been really bad and Suan Smith had to get to the QB by himself, or something like that. I don't think you can compare 1 player to a team's whole season.

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Yeah. The other 2 or 3 D-lineman at Cleveland could have been really bad and Suan Smith had to get to the QB by himself, or something like that. I don't think you can compare 1 player to a team's whole season.

The Browns have, and probably always will suck.

Who knows, put Smith between Jackson and Dorsey, we might have something. Too early to tell...I do love the staunch criticism of the draft though. It'll be fun to see how the critics opinions live up.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:43 AM

Who knows, put Smith between Jackson and Dorsey, we might have something. Too early to tell...I do love the staunch criticism of the draft though. It'll be fun to see how the critics opinions live up.
Yeah, never been to a Superbowl. Never even been to an AFC Championship game.

chief31
04-24-2010, 03:50 AM

Agreed. MAYBE.

But it sure seems like a pretty weak line to try and anchor our ship with, a "maybe".

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Agreed. MAYBE.

But it sure seems like a pretty weak line to try and anchor our ship with, a "maybe".

Everyone in the draft is a "maybe" though. Past Dan Williams (who is still a maybe), is there really a NT that's gonna perform better than Smith. It's a maybe.

Your stats do raise a terrific point. Our run D has been horrendous and we brought in a guy that has served under some pretty poor defenses in regards to stopping the run.

I'm an optimist though. If I went through every day of my life worrying about the Chiefs needs (on top of my own), man I would be a depressed guy haha. I'll wait to see how it pans out, then criticize.

chief31
04-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Everyone in the draft is a "maybe" though. Past Dan Williams (who is still a maybe), is there really a NT that's gonna perform better than Smith. It's a maybe.

Your stats do raise a terrific point. Our run D has been horrendous and we brought in a guy that has served under some pretty poor defenses in regards to stopping the run.

I'm an optimist though. If I went through every day of my life worrying about the Chiefs needs (on top of my own), man I would be a depressed guy haha. I'll wait to see how it pans out, then criticize.

Sure. Every player is a "maybe", to some degree.

Just like drafting a position in the seventh round, as opposed to drafting it in the first, the variation of "maybe" is pretty important.

Shaun Smith does not have an impressive resume in The NFL. He is really much more of a "probably not".

And then, what if Smith doesn't turn out to be anything more than Ron Edwards, or even gets injured?

Like I said, I just think that this is a very thin line to try and use to anchor our ship with.

But, I am a Chiefs fan, every bit as much as any of you. So I most definitely hope that it works out, just as I hope Albert gets it turned around at LOT.

I just see plenty of poor decisions being made, and worry that they may come back to bite us in the a**.

diehardchieffan
04-24-2010, 07:15 AM

GO CHIEFS 2010!

AMEN

Bike
04-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Shaun Smith was undrafted. This is his 7th team in as many years. He punched Brady Quinn in the face. After that, his then HC, Crennel, benched him - then released him. Then he's brought here to anchor our rebuilding defense.
Allrighty then....

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Shaun Smith was undrafted. This is his 7th team in as many years. He punched Brady Quinn in the face. After that, his then HC, Crennel, benched him - then released him. Then he's brought here to anchor our rebuilding defense.
Allrighty then....
The way you explained it here made it almost laughable.

DC_Chiefsfan
04-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey, Pioli took over in NE and went 5-11. The next year, they went 11-5 and won the superbowl. I'm not saying we're superbowl bound, but the playoffs are NOT out of the question.

I think this draft is going very well. Plus, Cam Thomas is still available and I could easily see the Chiefs trading up to get him. Al Woods is there too for NT. Then we have Ciron Black, Selvish Capers, Bruce Campbell, Jason Fox, Eric Olsen, Sam Young all still available. This draft is excellent!!!

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Hey, Pioli took over in NE and went 5-11. The next year, they went 11-5 and won the superbowl. I'm not saying we're superbowl bound, but the playoffs are NOT out of the question.

I think this draft is going very well. Plus, Cam Thomas is still available and I could easily see the Chiefs trading up to get him. Al Woods is there too for NT. Then we have Ciron Black, Selvish Capers, Bruce Campbell, Jason Fox, Eric Olsen, Sam Young all still available. This draft is excellent!!!
I believe the playoffs are quite a reality this upcoming season. If the offense gets more priductive and the defense can stop some more plays, then the majority of those close games will be won by the chiefs, not the opposing team (unlike the last 3 seasons when the chiefs almost always came up short in those close, nailbiting games.) Let's hope for some huge blowouts too!:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
10-22-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread is funny now. Its definitely worth a read.

Canada
10-22-2010, 09:08 AM
He is not alone.

This was my favorite one!! Seems like we might have a genius on our hands!!

Hayvern
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
It certainly seems that the Genital Giant was a good choice to come in and shore up the defensive line.

Althought, I have to say that since they took the pincers away from him, he has been less of a factor recently!

Canada
10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
It certainly seems that the Genital Giant was a good choice to come in and shore up the defensive line.

Althought, I have to say that since they took the pincers away from him, he has been less of a factor recently!

Ron Edwards has been pretty good in there too.

Ryfo18
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Ha

Ha

I don't think he's played much

Ha

This draft has been bad, for most of the reasons chief31, vern, and bwilliams have already brought up.

Ha

Love the enthusiasm!

Again, love it!

Genius

And back to the Dan Williams point, he has 3 tackles in 4 games and was a healthy scratch one game b/c he was overweight. I was all for taking him. Glad we didn't. Ron Edwards has certainly stepped his game up (11 tackles, 2 sacks).

matthewschiefs
10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Man I bet there is a lot of people that wish that could go back and not post a lot of the things that they posted. Things surely turned out a lot diffrent then what a lot of people thought after this draft.

Three7s
10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't regret posting what I did. I thought we needed a nose tackle and LBs and we didn't get them. Romeo Crennel is just that much of a genius. I knew that taking Moeaki was going to be a huge pick that would be underrated at the time because of his injury history. After seeing Moeaki's highlights, I could tell that he had the talents that most WRs wouldn't mind having. McCluster and Arenas have been alright, but Moeaki has been a stand out.

SIC J
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Man I bet there is a lot of people that wish that could go back and not post a lot of the things that they posted. Things surely turned out a lot diffrent then what a lot of people thought after this draft.

For real. Reality is, you never know how good a player is going to be in the NFL. How many "superstar" college players end up sucking in the NFL?

In my opinion, the chances of a 7th round pick has just as much of a chance of being a "superstar" in the NFL as a 1st round pick.

matthewschiefs
10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
For real. Reality is, you never know how good a player is going to be in the NFL. How many "superstar" college players end up sucking in the NFL?

In my opinion, the chances of a 7th round pick has just as much of a chance of being a "superstar" in the NFL as a 1st round pick.

I agree there are so many players that slip through the cracks even some players that turn out to be real good NFL players go undrafted. The draft is a big gamble for every NFL team. Thats how I have always seen it.

tornadospotter
10-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Would comment but decided to not.:plus1::blindref::homer:

Chiefster
10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Would comment but decided to not.:plus1::blindref::homer:

A man wise beyond his years.

SIC J
10-23-2010, 01:03 AM
I agree there are so many players that slip through the cracks even some players that turn out to be real good NFL players go undrafted. The draft is a big gamble for every NFL team. Thats how I have always seen it.

Thats where the "politics" come in to play......

chief31
10-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Yes. nothing beats an "I told you so" post.

But I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. Or admitting that Crennel has looked like a genius.

And Lilja, Shaun Smith and Ron Edwards have made a fool of me.

But you can search high and low for a happier fool than I, with no luck. :D

Also, it isn't like I was expecting failure this season.

I definitely feel like things are looking much brighter than the past few years.

This was really my general feeling through most of the offseason.

Thrilled with the emergence of our running game last season, and thrilled to welcome Weiss and Crennel.:D

Canada
10-23-2010, 06:43 AM
I never said "I told ya so" I thought it was an interesting thread. Some peoples assessents were on the money and some were so far off base its laughable. I only quoted yours cause you said if they worked out then Pioli could be a genius. I agreed.

Ryfo18
10-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah I wasn't trying to say told you so either, because I didn't tell to so. Just pointing out the most interesting posts in case you didn't want to reread.

Canada
10-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah I wasn't trying to say told you so either, because I didn't tell to so. Just pointing out the most interesting posts in case you didn't want to reread.
I guess the only people who would consider it an "I told ya so post" would be the people who were wrong about what they posted. But they call it being realistic!! :lol:

Three7s
10-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I guess the only people who would consider it an "I told ya so post" would be the people who were wrong about what they posted. But they call it being realistic!! :lol:
What are we supposed to think when the same unit did absolutely nothing last year?! :(

Again, Crennel is a genius.

Canada
10-23-2010, 08:13 PM
What are we supposed to think when the same unit did absolutely nothing last year?! :(

Again, Crennel is a genius.

Relax, most people thought what they posted and if u disagreed with them you were called an idiot. I know, I disagreed with a lot of it. I dont know why people are getting bent out of shape, whats wrong with being accountable for what was posted. Besides, there were plenty of different opinions in this thread, I just thought it would be interesting to continue the conversation about the draft class now that they have actually played a few games...I guess I was wrong. Mods, please close this thread i guess.

Seek
10-24-2010, 12:05 AM

GO CHIEFS 2010!

Is it just me or has b Williams been hiding in a closet for about six weeks. He had nothing negative to say because he was being proved wrong and now the team loses a bad one and here he comes again pissing and moaning.

Ryfo18
10-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Is it just me or has b Williams been hiding in a closet for about six weeks. He had nothing negative to say because he was being proved wrong and now the team loses a bad one and here he comes again pissing and moaning.

Glad someone said it!

But I haven't seen bwilliams around even after the losses...

stricken721
10-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Glad someone said it!

He's been around. I saw him on some threads earlier this week. His tone has changed somewhat, he's getting better.

AussieChiefsFan
10-24-2010, 02:38 AM
Glad someone said it!

Yeah, Mr Negative, lol

Hayvern
10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Relax, most people thought what they posted and if u disagreed with them you were called an idiot. I know, I disagreed with a lot of it. I dont know why people are getting bent out of shape, whats wrong with being accountable for what was posted. Besides, there were plenty of different opinions in this thread, I just thought it would be interesting to continue the conversation about the draft class now that they have actually played a few games...I guess I was wrong. Mods, please close this thread i guess.

Don't close the thread. Look, I was one too that thought the offensive line needed to be addressed. I am still going to say that we need to address the line. Niswanger, Weigman and Waters are all very long in the tooth and Lilja is not exactly a spring chicken. The fact is that we have 0 depth on the offensive line and while they have been playing well, they are not playing all THAT well.

Am I glad with the picks we got? Sure, I guess, how could you possibly go wrong with Berry? Well we will see, but he certainly has been playing alright. Though today he got caught in a couple of blown coverages.

Moecki? You can't say anything bad about a third round pick that has turned into such an awesome weapon.

Arenas? McCluster, clearly McCluster is playing well, Arenas? Well he had a couple of OK games, but since he has not been as much of a factor as he was. Let's hope that he continues to return well, but he has not been the best in coverage.

We certainly did not do badly in the draft, and we have enough service from the guys on the O-Line that should allow us to continue for a couple more seasons.

One of the best deals i think we have made is Vrabel. Maybe not from a perspective of being a good player, even though he is, but from his knowledge position, he is really involved in showing these young guys how to play and that is something we badly needed.

Three7s
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm not saying close the thread because some of us are ashamed of being wrong. I'm just saying that almost anyone with common sense would think that upgrades needed to be made.

Also Vern, you're right about the O-line. While I think they're performing exceptionally well, the guys in the middle are pretty old. We do have Asamoah!

Canada
10-25-2010, 12:57 AM

I'm happy with the draft so far. FS, WR(slot), KR/CB, OG, TE. All are positions of need imo.
I think Pioli took bpa in first two rounds, and took positions of need in 3rd.
Berry will start at FS. McCluster will likely start in the slot. Arenas will be starter as KR. All three are major playmakers. Its also likely that Moeaki will have a chance at starting as our TE. Asamoah, probably not right away but now we have a Brian Waters backup player

By my count that is 3, maybe 4 starters drafted in the first 3 rounds.
I'd say that's a really good couple of days.

Can't make everyone happy and address every need in the first 3 rounds.

I like it!!!

Do you really know anything about football ? Seriosuly ever post I see of yours is negative and for what reason ? We are not the Detroit Lions and actually have some thing's in place that is going to make us a MUCH better team than last year.

There were ALOT of games we could of won with a far inferior team now we do actually have a better team and a favorable schedule/ MAY CHRIST COMPEL YOU ! If these players that are taken in this draft dont at least contribute I will admit I was wrong.

I'm not saying close the thread because some of us are ashamed of being wrong. I'm just saying that almost anyone with common sense would think that upgrades needed to be made.

Also Vern, you're right about the O-line. While I think they're performing exceptionally well, the guys in the middle are pretty old. We do have Asamoah!

I think a lot of people with common sense were bang on with their opinions about this draft.

Three7s
10-25-2010, 01:59 AM
I think a lot of people with common sense were bang on with their opinions about this draft.
Sigh.....again, I'm not solely talking about the draft. Most people just wanted an upgrade in the O-line and in the front 7. It didn't HAVE to come through the draft!

Canada
10-25-2010, 07:37 AM
I know that, but the thread is about the draft. I just thought it was interesting to look back at what was said then and how it has panned out to this point.

70 chiefsfan70
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM

I liked the draft, a lot, except for the two picks for 1 guy (Moeaki).... I was furious with this pick, it just seemed we had too many holes to fill to do this kind a trading, WOW was I wrong!!! This Dude is a great asset to the Chiefs! He has tremendous heart. I was at the game vs the kitty kats and was very impressed with both his hands and his blocking, his knowledge of how the game is played is way above his age, We the Chiefs, are a much better team because of him!