PDA

View Full Version : tony moeaki

slc chief
04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
do you like him as our third rounder. almost evry draft expert has him as the best blocking tight end in the draft.and from the clips i have seen he looks like he will be a good receiving te when needed.i am excited to add a good blocking te it will make the o-line better i did not like the pick at first but it is growing on me

AkChief49
04-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Tony Moeaki, Iowa, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563070)

bigpoppachief
04-24-2010, 12:34 AM
do you like him as our third rounder. almost evry draft expert has him as the best blocking tight end in the draft.and from the clips i have seen he looks like he will be a good receiving te when needed.i am excited to add a good blocking te it will make the o-line better i did not like the pick at first but it is growing on me

I was reading his a steal for us that late in the third round but we are talking about a draft that Jimmy Clausen wen to the Panthers in their only draft pick in the first 3 rounds lol I think Jimmy Clausen got lucky though I really do.

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Moecki has some injury problems to work out. I hope he can get it done. I had high hopes for Colby Smith, but with all the injuries, he is pretty much finished. This guy very well may take the same road.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:33 AM
YouTube- 2009 Iowa Hawkeye Football - Tony Moeaki Tribute

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 02:57 AM
YouTube- 2009 Iowa Hawkeye Football - Tony Moeaki Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GoGPZ-43CY)
It's confirmed. He was a good choice.

I really dont get why people dont like this years draft. IMO its already been productive!

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:16 AM
It's confirmed. He was a good choice.

I really dont get why people dont like this years draft. IMO its already been productive!
I think once people see Tony Moeaki in action as a Chief they will realize he is a great deal like Tony G.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:24 AM
I think once people see Tony Moeaki in action as a Chief they will realize he is a great deal like Tony G.
I think so too (Although I don't think they'll ever be able to completely replace Tony Gonzalez).

chief31
04-24-2010, 03:36 AM

And you don't think that you are just drinking up the yummy Kool-Aid here? Tony Gonzalez? The best recieving TE of all-time?

Really?

Alright, fine. But, even with TG and no O-line, The Chiefs were pretty terrible. (2-14)

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:38 AM
And you don't think that you are just drinking up the yummy Kool-Aid here? Tony Gonzalez? The best recieving TE of all-time?

Really?

Alright, fine. But, even with TG and no O-line, The Chiefs were pretty terrible. (2-14)
If TG was playing in '09 I think they would have gone atleast 6-10. But yeah, 2008 was definately the worst season in chiefs history! Even WITH Tony G!

Everest
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Moecki has some injury problems to work out. I hope he can get it done. I had high hopes for Colby Smith, but with all the injuries, he is pretty much finished. This guy very well may take the same road.

Moeaki's had his share of injuries, however they have largely been freak accidents. A broken hand and foot scare me a lot less than the knee issues you see in a lot of other prospects. Watch the orange bowl footage Moeaki absolutely owns Georgia Teach DE (and first rounder) Derrick Morgan, he's the most well rounded tight end in the draft. Awesome blocker and has soft hands. The Tony G. comparisons aren't that far off, To-Mo's definitly got the potential. Kirk Ferentz's has called him the best tight end he's ever coached, that's pretty high praise (Dallas Clark, Brandon Meyers, Scott Chandler were all Ferentz TE's).

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
If Tony can manage to stay healthy, I fully believe we have our franchise TE.*

*I am a homer for the Iowa Hawkeyes so some bias may be in this post.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2010, 10:53 AM

If he is anything CLOSE to what Tony G was in a chiefs jersey that would be one hell of a steal. I hope he can be that good. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
If he is anything CLOSE to what Tony G was in a chiefs jersey that would be one hell of a steal. I hope he can be that good. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!
:bananen_smilies046:

slc chief
04-24-2010, 11:35 AM
i think he is a way better blocker than tony g was early in his career.of course tony g improved on that but gonzalez pass catching ability that is going to be hard to duplicate.moeaki is definantly going to help in the run game and can still stretch the field i like it

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM

He isn't. He's a Jason Dunn-type blocking TE and end zone threat. Not a Tony G. style receiver.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
He isn't. He's a Jason Dunn-type blocking TE and end zone threat. Not a Tony G. style receiver.
Have you watched any video on this kid? He isn't scared to go up after the ball like TG did and he can make just about any catch a wide out can make. As for his injuries, this is football a contact sport , not golf.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Have you watched any video on this kid? He isn't scared to go up after the ball like TG did and he can make just about any catch a wide out can make.

Yeah, I saw several Iowa games this year. He's not a 1/10th of the WR Gonzo is. He's a blocking TE/red zone guy. He can catch the ball, but he doesn't have TG's hands or athleticism. You're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

As for his injuries, this is football a contact sport , not golf.

No s***. Maybe it's because this is a contact sport that you shouldn't draft people who are injury prone.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I saw several Iowa games this year. He's not a 1/10th of the WR Gonzo is. He's a blocking TE/red zone guy. He can catch the ball, but he doesn't have TG's hands or athleticism. You're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

No s***. Maybe it's because this is a contact sport that you shouldn't draft people who are injury prone.
I am sorry you seem to hate my opinion so I will agree to disagree. Let the season begin I am ready to see it!:chiefs:

tornadospotter
04-24-2010, 10:14 PM

One thing you can always count on, is time, it will tell the story, in time.

AkChief49
04-25-2010, 12:00 AM
One thing you can always count on, is time, it will tell the story, in time.
True TS. Add pressure to time = could be a diamond?:chiefs:

Coach
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm loving this guy's tape. If he is as good of a run blocker as advertised, I think he may have stumbled onto something great.

Ferentz tabbed him as the greatest TE he's ever coached. I'm sure that went a long way with Pioli. I'm sure Scott had him on his board as a must have and that is why they traded back up into the 3rd rd to get him.

I'm really excited about this guy. Really excited. I'm going to do more homeworkon him and will post back in this thread later.

yashi
04-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm loving this guy's tape. If he is as good of a run blocker as advertised, I think he may have stumbled onto something great.

Ferentz tabbed him as the greatest TE he's ever coached. I'm sure that went a long way with Pioli. I'm sure Scott had him on his board as a must have and that is why they traded back up into the 3rd rd to get him.

I'm really excited about this guy. Really excited. I'm going to do more homeworkon him and will post back in this thread later.

Me too. I love what I see from this guy in the receiving game. Catches the ball with his hands, good speed, immediately looks to run after the catch.

partysan
04-25-2010, 02:16 PM
I like the fact that he played a pro-style offense. He can block and catch.

Coach
04-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I checked in a friend that follows Iowa football like its a religion.
Here are his brief comments:
Moeaki is going to be really good. Great hands, good blocker, and can get open.

Based on the video posted above, I'd tend to agree. Time will tell.

But if he does start, that means we will have drafted at least 4 starters in this draft class.
Berry - FS
McCluster - Slot WR
Arenas - PR/KR, possibly nickel CB.
Moeaki - TE

I won't be surprised if Asomoah ends up cracking the startting lineup this year as well. 4-5 starters, I'd say that's pretty good draft.

I like this Moeaki kid.

Diesel
04-26-2010, 12:58 AM
I think absolutely Moeaki starts and he's a HUGE upgrade for us from day one!

Everest
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
From the star:

"Perhaps the most impressive of the rookies was Moeaki, who looked as if he could be a nice addition to the passing game.
Moeaki gave the defense fits during the only full-squad portion of practice that was open to reporters. His ability to get down the field exceeds that of veterans Leonard Pope (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1766/Leonard_Pope) and Brad Cottam (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34465/Brad_Cottam).
Moeaki wasn’t quite ready to declare himself a worthy successor to Tony Gonzalez.
"He has a billion catches," Moeaki said, "and I have zero."

Like I've said before the kid is a great all around TE.

Crossbow
05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
If he can block as well as Dunn and if he can avoid injuries then the Chiefs have improved the running attack in a very big way.

It would be interesting to see a few double TE sets with him when they get near the red zone. That is going to give defenses fits. They won't know if they Chiefs are going to pass or run.

wildcat
05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Dunn was like an extra offensive linemen and TG is the greatest receiving TE ever. I do not expect Moeaki to block as well as Dunn or be the receiver that TG was, but he obviously has a ton of potential and I hope he can be a very good all-around TE. If he can do that, he will be more than worthy of the pick we spent on him.

I do not expect to ever see another TG, unless TG resigns with the Chiefs before he hangs up his cleats. And even TG will not be the same TG by that time.

nychiefsfan58
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
chiefs!!!!!!!!

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-06-2010, 02:47 PM
i don't think anyone ever questioned this kid's talent. Like it was said before, he catches with his hands, not his body - so right off the bat, I like it.

He also shows athleticism in his catching, and looks fast enough to get yards after the catch.

This kid was the top tight end recruit out of high school, and if he didn't have injury issues every year that he played, he could have been the top tight end prospect in the draft, because he apparently is a complete player.

Unfortunately, there is a reason he dropped - multiple injuries.

We'll see how it plays out. From a talent standpoint, I love it, but this pick could easily just fizzle out with a couple of early injuries.

tornadospotter
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Hopefully the injury bug is over, and he will be a great player.