PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on getting Javier Arenas

joeman546
04-24-2010, 01:20 AM
I am an Alabama and Titans fan, so I was really wanting Javy, but the Chiefs killed that, still, I dont see much commotion over him, so I wanted to tell you a little about him.

Javier Arenas was a lesser known guy in the Florida area. He was originally destined to Florida International until then headcoach Mike Shula extended an offer, most likely just to fill a roster spot.

He started day one as a return man, and he was good at it. So good infact, id wager for two straight years just watching him go was the most exciting part of our program.

Of course we landed Saban and there was alot of hubbub. Around the middle of 2007 Saban saw a bit more potential in him and converted him into a corner. He has been a corner for two full seasons, and he is NFL calibre. Of course height is a concern at his position, but not his instinctive nature nor his tackle making ability. He lacks size for the big hit, but he was pound for pound the strongest guy on the team, and he could bench over 400.

As a PR/KR, there is no one better at it in the draft. "But Kyle Wilson/Dexter McCluster are pretty good at it too". Yes, Ive seen highlights. They are good enough to be his backups. What makes his return game so special is not his speed or his wiggle(though he has it), it is his instinctive nature regarding where everyone is on the field as well as his ability to read, follow, and set up blocks. I feel this translates really well to the NFL.

At Alabama he had the nickname "Agent 28" which isnt just a coincidence since "Agent 0" is his cousin. As an Alabama fan, I will be honest and say ill miss him more than Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson, just to give you an idea of what kind of impact player he was.

AkChief49
04-24-2010, 01:23 AM
I am an Alabama and Titans fan, so I was really wanting Javy, but the Chiefs killed that, still, I dont see much commotion over him, so I wanted to tell you a little about him.

Javier Arenas was a lesser known guy in the Florida area. He was originally destined to Florida International until then headcoach Mike Shula extended an offer, most likely just to fill a roster spot.

He started day one as a return man, and he was good at it. So good infact, id wager for two straight years just watching him go was the most exciting part of our program.

Of course we landed Saban and there was alot of hubbub. Around the middle of 2007 Saban saw a bit more potential in him and converted him into a corner. He has been a corner for two full seasons, and he is NFL calibre. Of course height is a concern at his position, but not his instinctive nature nor his tackle making ability. He lacks size for the big hit, but he was pound for pound the strongest guy on the team, and he could bench over 400.

As a PR/KR, there is no one better at it in the draft. "But Kyle Wilson/Dexter McCluster are pretty good at it too". Yes, Ive seen highlights. They are good enough to be his backups. What makes his return game so special is not his speed or his wiggle(though he has it), it is his instinctive nature regarding where everyone is on the field as well as his ability to read, follow, and set up blocks. I feel this translates really well to the NFL.

At Alabama he had the nickname "Agent 28" which isnt just a coincidence since "Agent 0" is his cousin. As an Alabama fan, I will be honest and say ill miss him more than Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson, just to give you an idea of what kind of impact player he was.
Cool, thanks for the info and welcome to the Crowd.:bananen_smilies046:

bigpoppachief
04-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks man ! I really was stoked about getting him and think that putting him in a nickle packages will be awesome especially with Berry Welcome to Chiefs crowd and hope your bama boy is a pro bowler :D Well Javier anyways sorry McClain got sent to the black hole lol

kcnation
04-24-2010, 01:30 AM
this was just another wasted pick,im a alabama fan and i was not looking for the chiefs to draft him,not that he is not any good,but our needs were greater at other positions

joeman546
04-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks man ! I really was stoked about getting him and think that putting him in a nickle packages will be awesome especially with Berry Welcome to Chiefs crowd and hope your bama boy is a pro bowler :D Well Javier anyways sorry McClain got sent to the black hole lol
Most of us were saddened by that. He is the kind of guy you can build a D around, but they have a rep as a career killer in the SEC.

Also, i forgot to add that since he is kind of a raw athlete, the team would be wise(and saban stated he intended to do this if he had more time with him) to have a few plays on O with him in there in a few years.

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 01:39 AM
While I don't think it was a wasted pick, it was a little bit of an odd pick after the pickup of McCluster who would very likely have made a very good returner.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have two guys that can return and with the fact that one plays offense and one plays defense as well it gives a lot of utility options. That is if they pan out.

whatwasthat?
04-24-2010, 01:42 AM
people forget to recognize that he is a good pass rusher who can be used effectively in nickle blitz packages

bigpoppachief
04-24-2010, 01:54 AM
I dont think we got Mcluster for a return man though He will be a big part of our offense as a WR

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 01:58 AM
I dont think we got Mcluster for a return man though He will be a big part of our offense as a WR

I am going to modify my opinion of the pick until I see how they plan on using him. Perhaps Pioli does have something different in mind other than a return man and they think he will make something happen for this team.

You also have to understand that with the holes that we have, we really needed a different player at this pick. That of course is my opinion and everyone has one.

the fact that Philadelphia was after this kid means a lot as well. I am not trying to say the guy is not a good player, I just don't think he is the player that we needed at that pick.

What do I matter though?

:beat_DeadHorse:

70 chiefsfan70
04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
this was just another wasted pick,im a alabama fan and i was not looking for the chiefs to draft him,not that he is not any good,but our needs were greater at other positions

Don't call him wasted till he proves him that way, I thought he was an odd pick,especially since there was so much lalent avaitible, but we have a need for him, plus hes a dual purpose player, Would he have been my pick???? NO!
But he has great protencial, serves a need.

yashi
04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Arenas is for sure going to be our KR/PR. McCluster did a little return stuff in college, but he wasn't anything special in that area. McCluster will play the slot and Arenas will be KR/PR/Nickel CB. I'm pretty excited to see him. We were TERRIBLE in the return game last year. It felt like Haley was yelling at Bobby Wade after every return. :D

Thanks for the info on Arenas.

northwest
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
thanks! im excited!

chief31
04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Has anyone given any thought to giving Berry a shot at KR/PR?

In all of the highlight reels I have seen of him that is clearly his most impressive ability, is the stunning returns of turnovers. He clearly has a nack for running with the football.

I'd really like to see The Chiefs take a look at him as a KR/PR on top of FS/SS.

hometeam
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM

He wont be a nickle, he is going to end being our starting 2nd CB.

bwilliams
04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
He wont be a nickle, he is going to end being our starting 2nd CB.

Maybe in 2011. In 2010 he'll be our slot CB.

yashi
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
From what is being said he fits the bill as a nickel CB forever. Excellent at blitzing, strong, and good at warding off blockers with his hands, but lacking the speed and the man-coverage skills to cover out wide. I think we may see Brandon Carr improve as the pass rush improves. Our secondary is looking really nice.

Coach
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
people forget to recognize that he is a good pass rusher who can be used effectively in nickle blitz packages

I head 3-4 teams do those occasionally. :lol:

This guy can help our team at KR/PR and CB. This guy can potentially help 2 out of 3 phases of the football team. I'm willing to give him a shot.

Like others have said, I won't be shocked at all if he beats out Carr as our 2nd starting CB. Did anyone else watch the Denver game when Carr got abused by Jabar Gaffney? Josh McDaniels abused Carr in that game. The WR matchup Carr was responsible for(gaffney) ended up having something 12 catches in the 1st half of that game and went for a total of 213 yards. Just saying, this team needed to get better at CB as well.

Arenas will help this team in lots of ways.