PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:03 AM
We possess the leagues 30th ranked defense. We needed to address the fundamental needs of stuffing the run and getting to the qb. We didn't do it. I'm trying to talk myself into the reasons why we didn't do this (I know we still have 2 5th rounders left to pick, but they are - well - 5th rounders) and this is what I came up with:
LOLB - Vrabel/Studebaker - Sorry. I don't have an answer why we didn't address this.
NT - Edwards/Smith - Sorry. I don't have an answer why we didn't address this.
RILB - Mays/Belcher - Sorry. I don't have an answer why we didn't address this.
I now have to believe that Pioli expects Crennel to get more out of these players than previous coaches were unable to do. Maybe he puts Demorrio Williams and DJ side by side at the ILB positions to help stuff the run. I don't know. I don't see Crennel getting any more speed out of Vrabel to help Hali get some qb pressure. And I don't see Crennel adding 30 lbs to Shaun Smith to stuff the middle of the line. Unless Pioli has something else in mind before the season starts, I don't understand why these basic concerns weren't dealt with.
Not all doom and gloom though. Berry is a player. But he will need some help in front of him. And our sorry special teams improved dramatically with our 2 2nd round picks. I just hope Pioli knows what he's doing by not addressing the above mentioned needs in this years draft.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:06 AM
I Do think that they should've drafted a LB in the 3rd instead of drafting a CB but now I think they should draft a NT at 5a and a LB at 5b.

josh1971
04-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Oh for the love of....

We're not even through the draft, and the panic has already begun......

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Oh for the love of....

We have two 5th round picks left - thats it. Odds are they won't be impact players at positions we need them to be. These needs will have to be met with free agents...

kckidd8870
04-24-2010, 03:19 AM
All I can say is I hope Berry can come up and make alot of plays.Without any good Linebackers or NT .Berry will have like 500 tackles this season. lol So what ever you pay him,double it.He is going to get a workout.What tackles Berry doesnt get Flowers will get.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:23 AM
All I can say is I hope Berry can come up and make alot of plays.Without any good Linebackers or NT .Berry will have like 500 tackles this season. lol So what ever you pay him,double it.He is going to get a workout.What tackles Berry doesnt get Flowers will get.
I'm pretty sure he will! As everyone knows, I've been really liking berry for months now and I'm ecstatic that he was drafted 5th overall! In that time I've watched countless highlight reels of him 'making plays' and for me right now, it's hard to imagine him NOT making big plays.

josh1971
04-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Here's a smattering of the stuff we've done since the season ended:

Defensive Line- Shaun Smith , NT

Offensive Line- Ryan Lijia, G (FA) (Listed on NFL.com as a Center)
Casey Wiegman, C (FA)
Jon Asamoah, G (Draft)

WR- Jerheme Urban, (FA)
Chris Chambers (Re-Signed)

RB (A back to pound between tackles)- Thomas Jones
Dexter McCluster (Return Man?)

Safety- Eric Berry

Corner- Javier Arenas (Also a possible return man)

TE- Tony Moeaki (Hey, didn’t it work out really well last time we had a TE named Tony?)

Plus, a lot of the guys of our own that we re-signed during free agency are going to be a big help, including Copper, Cox, DJ, Mays, and Studebaker.

So, we're not addressing any needs or anything this off season? I mean, we're just already quitting and calling it a rebuilding year? Nonsense, they have been making moves to improve the team all through this off season, most notably:

Romeo Crennell and Charlie Weiss.

Sorry, Bike. I'm not seeing where we need to be disappointed already.

JB

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:33 AM

Casey Wiegman, C (FA)
Jon Asamoah, G (Draft)

WR- Jerheme Urban, (FA)

Safety- Eric Berry

TE- Tony Moeaki (Hey, didn’t it work out really well last time we had a TE named Tony?)

Plus, a lot of the guys of our own that we re-signed during free agency are going to be a big help, including Copper, Cox, DJ, Mays, and Studebaker.

So, we're not addressing any needs or anything this off season? I mean, we're just already quitting and calling it a rebuilding year? Nonsense, they have been making moves to improve the team all through this off season, most notably:

JB
REP for you sir! :bananen_smilies046:

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 03:36 AM
We possess the leagues 30th ranked defense. We needed to address the fundamental needs of stuffing the run and getting to the qb. We didn't do it. I'm trying to talk myself into the reasons why we didn't do this (I know we still have 2 5th rounders left to pick, but they are - well - 5th rounders) and this is what I came up with:
LOLB - Vrabel/Studebaker - Sorry. I don't have an answer why we didn't address this.
I now have to believe that Pioli expects Crennel to get more out of these players than previous coaches were unable to do. Maybe he puts Demorrio Williams and DJ side by side at the ILB positions to help stuff the run. I don't know. I don't see Crennel getting any more speed out of Vrabel to help Hali get some qb pressure. And I don't see Crennel adding 30 lbs to Shaun Smith to stuff the middle of the line. Unless Pioli has something else in mind before the season starts, I don't understand why these basic concerns weren't dealt with.
Not all doom and gloom though. Berry is a player. But he will need some help in front of him. And our sorry special teams improved dramatically with our 2 2nd round picks. I just hope Pioli knows what he's doing by not addressing the above mentioned needs in this years draft.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :rocknroll::rocknroll:

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:39 AM

Casey Wiegman, C (FA)
Jon Asamoah, G (Draft)

WR- Jerheme Urban, (FA)

Safety- Eric Berry

JB
I'm not saying WE are disappointed. I'm saying I am disappointed. And not with all the off-season moves as you mentioned. I was just referring to the draft and not filling the holes that I mentioned below.
And its ok that we disagree. If everybody had the same opinion around here this would be a pretty boring place to be. But I will assume that we both want the Chiefs to succeed this year and get to the playoffs!! And next - the superbowl!! :bananen_smilies046:

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm not saying WE are disappointed. I'm saying I am disappointed. And not with all the off-season moves as you mentioned. I was just referring to the draft and not filling the holes that I mentioned below.
And its ok that we disagree. If everybody had the same opinion around here this would be a pretty boring place to be. But I will assume that we both want the Chiefs to succeed this year and get to the playoffs!! And next - the superbowl!! :bananen_smilies046:
There IS less chance of finding a great player in the late rounds but there IS a possibility of it.

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:42 AM
I see I'm by myself here!! Thats ok - hopefully Pioli's not done yet!! :chiefs:

josh1971
04-24-2010, 03:43 AM

Well, sure. And there are a few things I would have loved to have seen during either Free agency or the draft- first and foremost a beastly, frightening pass rusher of some kind. Now, watching some DJ highlight clips, one might think he could be it.

We'll see. I think we're all hoping to see some success this coming year- especially with the sad shape the rest of our division is in. Let's clean it up!!!!

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Well, sure. And there are a few things I would have loved to have seen during either Free agency or the draft- first and foremost a beastly, frightening pass rusher of some kind. Now, watching some DJ highlight clips, one might think he could be it.

We'll see. I think we're all hoping to see some success this coming year- especially with the sad shape the rest of our division is in. Let's clean it up!!!!
That's one of the best parts!:D

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:45 AM

Thats what I'm talking about!!!! :beer:

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 04:11 AM

Haha, I'll save my crying until after the season's done...but hopefully I won't be doing much of that :kc:

chief31
04-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Oh for the love of....

The draft is, for all intensive purposes, over. Only long-shots and projects left.

Not much to pin your hopes on there. But I certainly wish for him to become a beast this season.

Plenty to worry about with this guy.

Casey Wiegman, C (FA)

Love the guy for his years with the Vermiel CHiefs. But he sucked once Vermiel, Roaf, Priest, Green and T-Rich were gone. Not to mention his age at this point.

Jon Asamoah, G (Draft)

Good pick... at the end of the third round.

WR- Jerheme Urban, (FA)

6 career starts in six seasons? Excited would be an overstatement. Actually my saying that is quite the understatement.

I like him. But is he an improvement over Chris Chambers?

I like him.

Cool.

Safety- Eric Berry

Great guy. Glad to have him.

We need as many as we can get. Right?

Meh. Got nothing against him.

So, more of the same from 4-12 last year?

JB

It isn't about the players we have brought in. It's about those that we didn't. More about the positions that we need to fix and haven't.

Saying that we haven't done anything special to improve on our 31st ranked run defense, our 31st ranked pass-rush, and our26th ranked pass-protection is not the same as saying "So, we're not addressing any needs or anything this off season?"

It's saying that we have not really addressed the biggest problems that this team had last season. With the exception of coordinators.

Classy.

So, the rest of you are cool with a terrible run-D, pass-rush and pass-protection?

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Classy.

So, the rest of you are cool with a terrible run-D, pass-rush and pass-protection?

In the past, no I am not. Waiting to see what the Chiefs have to bring in 2010.

chief31
04-24-2010, 04:31 AM
In the past, no I am not. Waiting to see what the Chiefs have to bring in 2010.

Well, it's the same people gonna be in the positions to effect that, so I have alot of concerns about it.

joeman546
04-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I think you guys will be surprised. Ive gotten the opportunity to watch them play every year and: Berry is middlelinebacker playing safety. God the guy can hit.

Dexter McCluster will be versatile out of the slot and a useful running back out of the wildcat. I dont know if he has the speed of a percy harvin, but he is definatly tougher and just as elusive.

Javier Arenas will be an effective blitzer. He doesnt give the hit, but hed get Adrian Peterson on the ground if he got ahold of him. He is very strong. Also, theres a reason hes the NCAA career leader in punt return yard and the active leader in a myriad of other categories.

There may be other need areas on the team, but I havent seen the chiefs get a guy who wont contribute on day one.

chief31
04-24-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm pretty sure he will! As everyone knows, I've been really liking berry for months now and I'm ecstatic that he was drafted 5th overall! In that time I've watched countless highlight reels of him 'making plays' and for me right now, it's hard to imagine him NOT making big plays.

I don't take much from a highlight reel, as it is "highlights". Obviously, highlights are gonna include your best plays, and none of your worst.

And I am sure people are gonna hate this, but there are a couple of lowlights on youtube.

Here is Eric Berry getting trucked by a QB, Tim Tebow.

YouTube- Eric Berry Vs Tim Tebow

And here he is looking like what we are used to seeing from a Chiefs Safety, of late...

YouTube- Eric Berry gets juked out of his shoes by Cory Boyd

And, just to keep you all happy, here is Berry getting a bit of revenge on Tebow...

YouTube- Eric Berry sacks Tim Tebow

rodu
04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
We had to many holes to fill in just two drafts, and there are still cuts that will be made by other teams later that Piolli will go rumaging through

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 09:18 AM
We had to many holes to fill in just two drafts, and there are still cuts that will be made by other teams later that Piolli will go rumaging through
Pioli is a smart guy. he always has something up his sleeve.

DMN
04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
As I can see why some people could be very disappointed with the draft thus far. But one thing to bear in mind is that the assessment of some of our "need" spots include 2nd and 3rd year players who last year had to switch to the 3-4. I am just saying there is definitely room to improve in some of these players.

I mostly think the ILB spot will be OK with Williams and DJ on the same page. And I like Studebaker.

NT is definitely the position I question most and am baffled we did not address it. But Arenas is a smart blitzer and I think that he will be a help.

tornadospotter
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Over all, and with little to go on, about some of our draft picks, and yes, I knew he was not going to be there at pick #5, I am disappointed in this draft, until proven not. :D:bananen_smilies046:

figcrostic
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM

You are not alone the, I also feel we blew it in the draft big time.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM

I love Pioli...and RAC!!!! :chiefs:

hardcorechiefsfan
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
...TE- Tony Moeaki (Hey, didn’t it work out really well last time we had a TE named Tony?)...
EXCUSE ME??????? No matter whether we won or lost, Tony Gonzalez always did well - he always had wonderful catches! How can you get rep for saying TG was nothing?

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
EXCUSE ME??????? No matter whether we won or lost, Tony Gonzalez always did well - he always had wonderful catches! How can you get rep for saying TG was nothing?

I don't see where he was saying TG was nothing....All I saw was where he said it worked out for us the last time we had a TE named Tony.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry, josh, for mis-reading what you said:

...Hey, didn’t it work out really well last time we had a TE named Tony?...

It took ryfo

I don't see where he was saying TG was nothing....All I saw was where he said it worked out for us the last time we had a TE named Tony.

I guess that I am just so used to no one else seeing the example TG was to the other players but the players nevertook the hint.

When I am wrong I say I'm wrong and apologize.

billb40
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
HOW can anyone be disappointed with the season, we were champions. What did you expect, a super bowl win. We had 10 wins the last three seasons. Praise the success of this season and do not downgrade the effort put forth by this team. If you had any football scene at all you should have been thrilled with a .500 season from a team that only won 2 "2" games last year. We stunk, smelled and were rotten. Did we improve? IYO. IMO we excelled beyond exceptions by a magnitude of so many I cannot compute. So why do we have so many bashers and extreme negative post and get rid of everyone. I just do not understand the lack of appreciation for the effort and the improvement this team has accomplished. GO CHIEFS. Fan for better or worse.

stricken721
01-10-2011, 07:58 PM
This thread was created last April. It's a conclusion from last season.. not this season.

I'm going to lock it so it doesn't create any confusion.

Chiefster
01-10-2011, 09:44 PM
This thread was created last April. It's a conclusion from last season.. not this season.

Nice job stricken!

tornadospotter
01-11-2011, 09:40 AM

I know how to go thru Locks! :D

YouTube - THRU THE LOCK RESIDENTIAL DOOR RIM LOCK