PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Herm built a GREAT team...

texaschief
04-24-2010, 04:00 AM
...because Pioli is drafting like we're just a #3 receiver and a nickel CB away from a Super Bowl...

I'm tired of ragging on Pioli/Haley. I figured they'd be helped out a little more this year with better coordinators and their own scouting department, but it seems like all that didn't even help.

I was disappointed in the Berry pick but felt like I could look past it because it filled a need. I could even look past taking McCluster that early because we DO need a #3 receiver and a return man.

But the carnage didn't stop there... Instead of drafting a NT to anchor the defense or an ILB to be the true leader they NEED, the Chiefs instead, decided to reinforce their nickel CB and PR positions with a relatively slow and undersized Arenas.

But hey, at least there are still some good prospects at NT and ILB when we pick in the third... so, naturally, we go OG... to put behind Waters, Lilja, Niswanger, and Weigman... OUTSTANDING.

But WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!! To our surprise, we jump back into the third and go after some more defensive hel... oh, lol... wait. Never mind. We decide to reach for another player who could've been had in the 4th or perhaps even the 5th... to make the team behind Pope and Cottam. Gotta love trading away two picks to get back in the third to take this guy... stroke of genius.

So, now we get to wait around till the 5th round to get more players of the Colin Brown ilk to round out yet another stellar Pioli draft...

I guess Pioli figures Eric Berry is good enough by himself to turn this defense from a 30th ranked joke to a top 10 juggernaut. I'm excited to see it.

But there's still that question... who's at the NT spot this season? Is it gonna be Dorsey? If so, who do you put on the outside to replace Dorsey? Is the trio of DJ, Williams, Mays gonna be enough again in the middle?

I guess we're ok with O'Callaghan at RT.

NT, ILB, DE, RT????

OR

Nickel CB, #3 WR, 3rd string OG/TE??

This is gonna be an extremely hard draft to defend... even if last year's draft didn't happen.

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Well I guess we'll see once the season starts.

Bike
04-24-2010, 04:17 AM
I agree we needed some basic needs met in the draft - as I stated earlier - rebuild the engine before installing the kick-a$$ stereo. Apparently Pioli/Haley think otherwise...

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I can defend the 2009 draft by saying that we only had two picks in the first three rounds, and we used those picks on a pair of bookend 3-4 DEs. The Jackson pick wasn't terrible (even less so if you looked at how badly Curry did in Seattle). Rounds 4-7 were a bunch of backups and projects (and a legit kicker), but that's kind of what you expect out of Rounds 4-7. Would I have gone differently? Sure. But it's a bit unrealistic to expect to be able to find a bunch of starters in the lower rounds. If it turns out that Magee, Jackson, Cassel, and Succop are starting for the chiefs for the appreciable future, I think it was a solid B draft.

Now, the 2010 draft doesn't get cut this slack. Why? First, the staff had a full year to review personnel and see our weaknesses first hand. Second, we had four picks in the first three rounds (eventually 5 picks). Getting five possible starters at positions of need didn't seem unrealistic.

What are our biggest needs? Stopping the run, rushing the QB, and protecting the QB. In that order.

Well, we gave at least lip service to that last one by picking Asamoah. A very good pick I can't complain about. He should push Lilja to the bench where he belongs.

As to the first two: WTF?! I like Berry as a player. He is going to be a top-5 FS in a year or two. I can even stomach the pick on the grounds that the Chiefs staff clearly didn't like Dan Williams at NT, didn't want to replace Albert at LT, weren't able to trade down, and didn't see a better player at a bigger need on the board. Would I have gone McClain or JPP first? Definitely. But I get that there are good ILBs and OLBs later in the draft.

Which of course bring us to Round 2, where we refuse to draft ILBs, OLBs, NTs, RTs, or even a SS. Instead we draft a homeless man's Reggie Bush. We follow that up by drafting a dime corner and KR (thanks for all the memories Tony!). In the 3rd, we get Asamoah. A good pick. We then blow that good will by trading up (for whatever reason) to pick an oft-injured TE.

We'll get to follow that up with two projects in the 5th.

So, to repeat, our biggest needs were stopping the run, rushing the passer, and protecting the QB. We have addressed those needs by:

1. Signing Shaun Smith (a career sub-backup) at NT

2. Signing Lilja (small and injured) and Weigmann (old and small) at RG and C

3. Drafting a FS, project slot WR, dime CB/KR, oft-injured TE, and a RG to upgrade Lilja.

That's it. Consider me under-frickin-whelmed.

slc chief
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I can defend the 2009 draft by saying that we only had two picks in the first three rounds, and we used those picks on a pair of bookend 3-4 DEs. The Jackson pick wasn't terrible (even less so if you looked at how badly Curry did in Seattle). Rounds 4-7 were a bunch of backups and projects (and a legit kicker), but that's kind of what you expect out of Rounds 4-7. Would I have gone differently? Sure. But it's a bit unrealistic to expect to be able to find a bunch of starters in the lower rounds. If it turns out that Magee, Jackson, Cassel, and Succop are starting for the chiefs for the appreciable future, I think it was a solid B draft.

Now, the 2010 draft doesn't get cut this slack. Why? First, the staff had a full year to review personnel and see our weaknesses first hand. Second, we had four picks in the first three rounds (eventually 5 picks). Getting five possible starters at positions of need didn't seem unrealistic.

What are our biggest needs? Stopping the run, rushing the QB, and protecting the QB. In that order.

Well, we gave at least lip service to that last one by picking Asamoah. A very good pick I can't complain about. He should push Lilja to the bench where he belongs.

As to the first two: WTF?! I like Berry as a player. He is going to be a top-5 FS in a year or two. I can even stomach the pick on the grounds that the Chiefs staff clearly didn't like Dan Williams at NT, didn't want to replace Albert at LT, weren't able to trade down, and didn't see a better player at a bigger need on the board. Would I have gone McClain or JPP first? Definitely. But I get that there are good ILBs and OLBs later in the draft.

Which of course bring us to Round 2, where we refuse to draft ILBs, OLBs, NTs, RTs, or even a SS. Instead we draft a homeless man's Reggie Bush. We follow that up by drafting a dime corner and KR (thanks for all the memories Tony!). In the 3rd, we get Asamoah. A good pick. We then blow that good will by trading up (for whatever reason) to pick an oft-injured TE.

We'll get to follow that up with two projects in the 5th.

So, to repeat, our biggest needs were stopping the run, rushing the passer, and protecting the QB. We have addressed those needs by:

1. Signing Shaun Smith (a career sub-backup) at NT

2. Signing Lilja (small and injured) and Weigmann (old and small) at RG and C

3. Drafting a FS, project slot WR, dime CB/KR, oft-injured TE, and a RG to upgrade Lilja.

That's it. Consider me under-frickin-whelmed.
you are forgetting the biggest key we actually have coaches that can teach the last three years draft picks what the hell they are doing.a great coaching staff wich weiss and cronnell are is one of the biggest keys in winning in the nfl.picks like dorsey,mcgee,jackson and all the other 2-4 year players on this roster are no longer being coached and learning techniuqe from coaches like crumright,gailey and all the other sub par coaches that were a part of the chiefs teams in years past.just look at what the donkeys defense turned into last year with a new cordinator.and their dumb###es got rid of him lol

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Why don't you guys all go be general managers since your obviously smarter than Pioli and company.

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Why don't you guys all go be general managers since your obviously smarter than Pioli and company.

:postpimp4ib:

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 12:07 PM
you are forgetting the biggest key we actually have coaches that can teach the last three years draft picks what the hell they are doing.a great coaching staff wich weiss and cronnell are is one of the biggest keys in winning in the nfl.picks like dorsey,mcgee,jackson and all the other 2-4 year players on this roster are no longer being coached and learning techniuqe from coaches like crumright,gailey and all the other sub par coaches that were a part of the chiefs teams in years past.just look at what the donkeys defense turned into last year with a new cordinator.and their dumb###es got rid of him lol

(1) Crennel and Weis were good coordinators for three Patriots SB teams. That doesn't give the magic ability to make untalented players into talented ones. Last time Shaun Smith was coached by Crennel, he was dogs***. Is Crennel coaching him again going to turn him legit? Jermaine Urbhan was a backup/special teamer with the Cards? Does playing with Haley again turn him into a starting WR?

The schemes we run now will almost certainly be better than the schemes run in 2009. But all the best schemers can do is hid the weaknesses of out team right now. Working with Weis is not going to make Lilja/Weigmann bigger or healtheir. It won't make Dorsey or DJ sprout four inches, gain thirty pounds, and turn them into a NT or OLB. What do you think these guys are going to do, exactly?

(2) At the beginning of the draft, we had below-average starters at the following positions: NT, C, RG, RT, ILB, OLB, and SS. NT, C, RG, RT, ILB, OLB, and SS are more important than blocking TE, KR/PR, dime CB, FS, or Wildcat PLAYMAKER.

We solved our RG problem in this draft, I think, in Asamoah. We didn't solve the other ones.

You cannot win in the NFL without talent at key positions. You can't. Guys like Shaun Smith, Ryan Lilja, Weigmann, and the rest of our free agents are not very talented, either because of age, injury, or just lack of talent.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM

When the position's open in a couple years, I'll apply. How about that?

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 12:10 PM
When the position's open in a couple years, I'll apply. How about that?

Open in a couple years my @ss lol. But i will support you buddy!

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Open in a couple years my @ss lol. But i will support you buddy!

Actually, after the Kendrick Lewis pick, maybe Hunt fired him on the spot. Please let me know, if so I'll forward my resume ASAP.

Qualification No. 1 - Would draft football players, not a bunch of projects and backup safeties.

Qualification No. 2 - See Qualification No. 1.

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Actually, after the Kendrick Lewis pick, maybe Hunt fired him on the spot. Please let me know, if so I'll forward my resume ASAP.

Qualification No. 1 - Would draft football players, not a bunch of projects and backup safeties.

Qualification No. 2 - See Qualification No. 1.

Clark Hunt: "No thanks, we feel you are extremely underqualified for this position. We understand you are a casual fan with very strong opinions, but we're gonna hire a staff who knows what they are doing."

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Clark Hunt: "No thanks, we feel you are extremely underqualified for this position. We understand you are a casual fan with very strong opinions, but we're gonna hire a staff who knows what they are doing."

bwilliams: "You're the guys who kept Herm Edwards on for three years, right? Think you're qualified to decide whether a staff knows what its doing?"

EDIT: "And I forgot, the guys who kept Carl Peterson at GM for a decade too long?"

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
bwilliams: "You're the guys who kept Herm Edwards on for three years, right? Think you're qualified to decide whether a staff knows what its doing?"

Clark Hunt: "That decision was left up to our GM at the time, Carl Peterson. Who I have since let go b/c of that foolishness. You should get your facts straight."

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Clark Hunt: "That decision was left up to our GM at the time, Carl Peterson. Who I have since let go b/c of that foolishness. You should get your facts straight."

You mean the incompetent GM you kept on for 10 years too many? Good decision that!

Ryfo18
04-24-2010, 12:33 PM
You mean the incompetent GM you kept on for 10 years too many? Good decision that!

Clark: "That was mostly my father, who has since deceased and handed the team over to me. Nice try again though."

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Clark: "That was mostly my father, who has since deceased and handed the team over to me. Nice try again though."

Your father got a SB to KC. You have 6-30 as your record running the team. I'll trust you as an owner the second we stop being the laughingstock of the NFL.

jb908
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
RB in the second... I thought he lost his damn mind. Other than that. I think this draft went perfect.

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
RB in the second... I thought he lost his god damn mind. Other than that. I think this draft went perfect.

WR in second round is actually what that pick was.

jb908
04-24-2010, 02:04 PM
4 Dexter McCluster (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24901)RBChiefs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kc)79
That looks like running back to me. I don't know where your college degree is from, but it was a waste of money

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 02:08 PM
4 Dexter McCluster (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24901)RBChiefs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kc)79
That looks like running back to me. I don't know where your college degree is from, but it was a waste of money

He *was* a RB, but we're converting him to WR. I know what you're thinking - why did we spent a high 2nd rounder on a guy who will converted to WR instead of just drafting a WR? It's because we're apparently going to try to run the Wildcat.

Now, you then might wonder when in the hell we became a Wildcat team. And you might wonder how a guy whose 170 lbs dripping wet can possibly be a Wildcat guy? Those are questions I'd like an answer to as well.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
It may seem crazy to think but try this on,
Marty came to town and built a team like most of the people here are saying we should build the team now. Where did that get the Chiefs? Sure they won a bunch of games and even made it to the playoffs and AFC championship game one time but no World titles to speak of. You can build a team in the mold of the 90s Chiefs but in the end it didn't work. For this reason I am optimistic about how our current admin is building the team. We are becoming a much faster team and we have players that other teams won't have. Sure we should have built the engine before we installed the pioneer but hey we didn't and I think the reason is Pioli and Haley see the type of players we want now in front of them so they grab them while they can and pick up needs in FA after the draft is over. I applaud what they have done and want more of it.

Bike
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
It may seem crazy to think but try this on,
Marty came to town and built a team like most of the people here are saying we should build the team now. Where did that get the Chiefs? Sure they won a bunch of games and even made it to the playoffs and AFC championship game one time but no World titles to speak of. You can build a team in the mold of the 90s Chiefs but in the end it didn't work. For this reason I am optimistic about how our current admin is building the team. We are becoming a much faster team and we have players that other teams won't have. Sure we should have built the engine before we installed the pioneer but hey we didn't and I think the reason is Pioli and Haley see the type of players we want now in front of them so they grab them while they can and pick up needs in FA after the draft is over. I applaud what they have done and want more of it.
Pioli said what he noticed last year was that our team was slow. The one thing he wanted to do in this draft was make this team faster. And he did. I may have not agreed with all the picks, but he singled out an area (speed) he wanted to improve - and he improved it. So Kudos to Pioli for doing this...

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Maybe instead of trying to diss my education, you should learn to do a little research before you make statements, dumb @ss.

If you go to kcchiefs.com you can see for yourself that he is going to be a wr for us.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/Chiefs-Select-WR-Dexter-McCluster-with-First-2nd-Round-Pick/c454acb3-d817-4eef-9517-3862e1dbd4a0

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Maybe instead of trying to diss my education, you should learn to do a little research before you make statements, dumb @ss.

If you go to kcchiefs.com you can see for yourself that he is going to be a wr for us.

Chiefs Select WR Dexter McCluster with First 2nd Round Pick (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/Chiefs-Select-WR-Dexter-McCluster-with-First-2nd-Round-Pick/c454acb3-d817-4eef-9517-3862e1dbd4a0)I thought I posted that McCluster would be used as a wr last night.

brish
04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey bwilliams can i borrow your crystal ball? You seem to have all the answers..

"A wildcat team"... Please..
Watch the kid catch the ball please, he's not bad...

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I thought I posted that McCluster would be used as a wr last night.

You did, some people just don't have enough common sense to read up on our draft picks before complaining about them.

Bike
04-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the in-depth analysys. You might consider re-reading your posts before hitting the submit reply button. Grow up.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:31 PM
You did, some people just don't have enough common sense to read up on our draft picks before complaining about them.
I believe some people are drawn to teams having a tough time because they enjoy complaining so much that until that teams starts winning they have a place to complain their azz off. I prefer to win myself and it starts in 2010!:bananen_smilies046:

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Pioli said what he noticed last year was that our team was slow. The one thing he wanted to do in this draft was make this team faster. And he did. I may have not agreed with all the picks, but he singled out an area (speed) he wanted to improve - and he improved it. So Kudos to Pioli for doing this...

Don't we mock Al Davis every year for drafting using 40 times and reaching for people he likes? How is Pioli doing anything different?

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey bwilliams can i borrow your crystal ball? You seem to have all the answers..

"A wildcat team"... Please..
Watch the kid catch the ball please, he's not bad...

I'm just writing what Pioli was saying. He drafted McCluster to have him help run the Wildcat. That change your opinion of the pick any?

And he isn't bad at catching the ball. But you know whose better at being a WR than a converted RB? Actual WRs.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Don't we mock Al Davis every year for drafting using 40 times and reaching for people he likes? How is Pioli doing anything different?
He didn't just pick McCluster for his speed . The Chiefs will use him as a WR in the slot and as a KR which are 2 spots we needed to fill according to Pioli. Go watch a video interview or 2 before asking questions.

jb908
04-24-2010, 02:51 PM
He Came out of this draft as a running back. There was no reason to correct me and claim he is a wide receiver. I do not care if they use him as a waterboy... The chiefs still picked a Running Back in the second round.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
He didn't just pick McCluster for his speed . The Chiefs will use him as a WR in the slot and as a KR which are 2 spots we needed to fill according to Pioli. Go watch a video interview or 2 before asking questions.

Didn't we draft Arenas for our KR/PR? If not, why did we spend our 2nd rounder on a dime CB? At the very least, you have to know that you can only have one guy returning kicks at a time, right?

And you know whose a better slot WR than a RB? A wide receiver!

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Didn't we draft Arenas for our KR/PR? If not, why did we spend our 2nd rounder on a dime CB? At the very least, you have to know that you can only have one guy returning kicks at a time, right?

And you know whose a better slot WR than a RB? A wide receiver!
Your debating Pioli's words now eh? Go to kcchiefs.com and research the roster and McCluster is listed as Wide Receiver. We picked up the nickel DB to cover in the Star which is a defensive set against the slot. You really need to go watch some of the interviews Pioli has up on their site. Your beginning to make wish to ignore you.

northwest
04-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm going to trust the staff with this year's draft. There are too many talented people in the office to screw up as bad as some of you guys think they did.

If drafting was so easy, they could just hire one of you studs to complete the draft for them for about 35,000 a year. I'm sure that would end up really well.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Your debating Pioli's words now eh? Go to kcchiefs.com and research the roster and McCluster is listed as Wide Receiver. We picked up the nickel DB to cover in the Star which is a defensive set against the slot. You really need to go watch some of the interviews Pioli has up on their site. Your beginning to make wish to ignore you.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Yes, Pioli said he drafted McCluster to be a 3WR and KR/PR. He said he drafted Arenas to be a 3CB or 4CB and a KR/PR. Do you understand the problem with drafting two non-starters because they are KR/PRs?

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm going to trust the staff with this year's draft. There are too many talented people in the office to screw up as bad as some of you guys think they did.

If drafting was so easy, they could just hire one of you studs to complete the draft for them for about 35,000 a year. I'm sure that would end up really well.I would put up $35,000 to see that happen . Rep added.:chiefs:

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM

If drafting was so easy, they could just hire one of you studs to complete the draft for them for about 35,000 a year. I'm sure that would end up really well.

It probably couldn't end up worse than 10-38 over three seasons.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Yes, Pioli said he drafted McCluster to be a 3WR and KR/PR. He said he drafted Arenas to be a 3CB or 4CB and a KR/PR. Do you understand the problem with drafting two non-starters because they are KR/PRs?
I heard Pioli say in a interview that they brought Arenas in to play the star defensive set which is designed to have him cover the opposing slot wr. You must have selective hearing or your reading and remembering only the parts you want to remember.
AGAIN :mancard:

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
It probably couldn't end up worse than 10-38 over three seasons.
That I would bet on, if it was you picking we would be 0 - 48.
PLEASE :mancard:

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I heard Pioli say in a interview that they brought Arenas in to play the star defensive set which is designed to have him cover the opposing slot wr. You must have selective hearing or your reading and remembering only the parts you want to remember.
AGAIN :mancard:

Again, you're having difficulty reading a post. Pioli said he drafted Arenas to be a slot CB and KR/PR. Pioli said he drafted McCluster to be a slot WR and KR/PR. Do you realize that perhaps the 2nd round is way too high to be drafting players who won't be in your starting 22, especially when you have several holes in your starting 22?

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:18 PM
That I would bet on, if it was you picking we would be 0 - 48.
PLEASE :mancard:
Well, the test is pretty bright line. Do you need a RT and a NT (if you're running a 3-4)?

If your answer is "yes," you'll do better than the current bunch of monkeys running the team. If your answer is "no," you're Herm Edwards, Scott Pioli, or endzonewillie.

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
He Came out of this draft as a running back. There was no reason to correct me and claim he is a wide receiver. I do not care if they use him as a waterboy... The chiefs still picked a Running Back in the second round.
We drafted DM as a WR - and is listed as such. Insulting Garillas educational background - because he was right - is childish. Get over it.

brish
04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Someone call the Waaaahmbulance.. :D

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, the test is pretty bright line. Do you need a RT and a NT (if you're running a 3-4)?

If your answer is "yes," you'll do better than the current bunch of monkeys running the team. If your answer is "no," you're Herm Edwards, Scott Pioli, or endzonewillie.
I am starting to think your a Chokeland fan in here to upset the Chiefs fans so you are going on ignore.

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Wow. I didn't agree with many picks. But - just - wow.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I am starting to think your a Chokeland fan in here to upset the Chiefs fans so you are going on ignore.

Geez. I'll miss our talks most of all. You taught me so much. How awesome Chris Weigman is. That age shouldn't be considered when picking players. That two guys can return a kick at the same time. True words of wisdom.

Bike
04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I love this thread!!! But just got called to work. Later Chiefs Fans...

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Like I said I think this bwilliams guy is a Daider fan and is in here to simply upset the Chiefs Crowd people that will argue with him. Just feel sorry for him as the team he routes for has no hope. Raider fans do suck. Bike rep added.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Man, I was primed to come out of this weekend a happy man. But we had the worst draft of any team this side of Jacksonville. We reached for projects, filled only 1-2 needs (FS and maybe RG), and ignored the problems that sunk us to 4-12 (bad run defense, bad pass rush, bad pass protection).

The f***ing Broncos had a better draft than us, and they drafted Tim f***ing Tebow in the 1st round!

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Like I said I think this bwilliams guy is a Daider fan and is in here to simply upset the Chiefs Crowd people that will argue with him. Just feel sorry for him as the team he routes for has no hope. Raider fans do suck. Bike rep added.

Careful chum. We're all Chiefs fans here. Watch what you write, or I'll be forced to point out exactly every reason you're a moron.

marloweopatchiefs
04-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Man, I was primed to come out of this weekend a happy man. But we had the worst draft of any team this side of Jacksonville. We reached for projects, filled only 1-2 needs (FS and maybe RG), and ignored the problems that sunk us to 4-12 (bad run defense, bad pass rush, bad pass protection).

The f***ing Broncos had a better draft than us, and they drafted Tim f***ing Tebow in the 1st round!

the broncos did not have a better draft then us. And there a pole about which afc west team had the best draft. Most people voted with the chiefs having the best draft. Second was the faiders and 3rd was the ponies and forth the dolts.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 03:36 PM
I have sat back and watched over the years as all the other teams in the league picked the players that were fun to watch and finally we have a management team together that does it for the Chiefs and people still complain how bad our draft has been.Fact is the teams that were going to pick who we did are envious of who we picked for a change. Even if we don't fill a couple holes of need to get t hem, with in 3-4 years the Chiefs will be incredible to watch and very unbeatable. As for 2010, I am going to predict we have a above par year and possibly make the wildcard game.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 03:41 PM
the broncos did not have a better draft then us. And there a pole about which afc west team had the best draft. Most people voted with the chiefs having the best draft. Second was the faiders and 3rd was the ponies and forth the dolts.

Can you link me to the poll?

As I said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. But I do not think our team is better than last year's in any important ways.

figcrostic
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm glad someone other then myself had the balls, to speak the truth. We had an horrible draft, we still have no good pass rushers to help Tamba, no run stoppers, but hey we have same a good safety, who's gonna look bad because the QB's playing against us will have 10 minutes to throw the ball.

figcrostic
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Sadly yes they did. We did good in the Free agency by picking up a top ten rb and good guard but we blew it on the draft.

diehardkcfan
04-24-2010, 04:31 PM
i know the experts dont know everything but i have read most experts on nfl network and espn have been giving us an A or A- grade for the draft.. i think the experts and pioli along with the coaching staff have more knowledge than you guys complaining do.. also i believe the same people complaining would have complained no matter what we did in the draft because you like to complain and be negative

Bike
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
i know the experts dont know everything but i have read most experts on nfl network and espn have been giving us an A or A- grade for the draft.. i think the experts and pioli along with the coaching staff have more knowledge than you guys complaining do.. also i believe the same people complaining would have complained no matter what we did in the draft because you like to complain and be negative

Not really. Not addressing our needs of stuffing the run and getting to the qb are valid complaints.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Hey, can you link to that? Because I'm seeing nothing but Cs and Ds.

And you'd assume that the coach/GM would be smarter than the fans. You'd also be forgetting Peterson/Edwards.

texaschief
04-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I think there's something to be said about getting some play-makers on this team. The first 3 picks are definitely guys who fit that mold. I just think they were taken one year too early.

I thought we needed an ILB and a NT to build the 3-4 defense around. I keep reading that there will be a bumper crop of NTs next year in the draft. Maybe we stick with Smith and Edwards through this year as a stop gap to get to next April... who knows... one can hope I guess.

Perhaps the Chiefs believe Belcher, Mays, and DJ are enough to build around at the ILB positions. Hopefully Studebaker is everything they hope he can be. If he's the next Vrabel, then great.

Berry, Page, Flowers, and Arenas in the secondary will be fun to watch.

McCluster is going to shock some people with his play-breaking abilities and YAC is DEFINITELY something that will help Matt Cassel and the offense as a whole. I hate the TE pick. He's undersized, slow, has durability issues and doesn't block well. The only thing you can really say about the guy is that if you get the ball anywhere around him, he'll catch it... (in theory).

ILB and S in the 5th round... too little too late to make an impact.

diehardkcfan
04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey, can you link to that? Because I'm seeing nothing but Cs and Ds.

And you'd assume that the coach/GM would be smarter than the fans. You'd also be forgetting Peterson/Edwards.

All the grades I have been seeing has been on TV but i will look on NFL.com and ESPN.com

As for the peterson/edwards comment.. you got me there

I agree the chiefs should have drafted a NT but i dont think that makes the entire draft just terrible.. we got some good play makers that will improve the team instantly

Off the subject of NT/LB i really wanted Golden Tate but obviously that didnt happen but i hope if denario alexander doesnt get drafted that they bring him in

texaschief
04-24-2010, 05:07 PM
All the grades I have been seeing has been on TV but i will look on NFL.com and ESPN.com

As for the peterson/edwards comment.. you got me there

I agree the chiefs should have drafted a NT but i dont think that makes the entire draft just terrible.. we got some good play makers that will improve the team instantly

Off the subject of NT/LB i really wanted Golden Tate but obviously that didnt happen but i hope if denario alexander doesnt get drafted that they bring him in

I think that if you were ok with taking Tate in the 2nd round, you'll be happier with McCluster. I think getting McCluster as a slot receiver was probably the best selection Pioli has made in his two years here.

diehardkcfan
04-24-2010, 05:08 PM
The pick that bothered me would be trading up to take the TE.. they could have waited on him but if he stays healthy he could be a good TE.. he is an athlete with good hands that can make difficult catches in traffic and seems to find the endzone

Connie Jo
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM

THIS! :D

I believe some people are drawn to teams having a tough time because they enjoy complaining so much that until that teams starts winning they have a place to complain their azz off. I prefer to win myself and it starts in 2010!:bananen_smilies046:

THIS!

:chiefs:

kcchiefs29
04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't know if anybody has read the Kendrick Lewis O&A yet but he and McCluster are good friends/roommates from Ole Miss. He made the comment that McCluster was originally a WR coming out of high school. Which means Ole Miss converted him to a RB and we will now be converting him back to WR. I like the thought of having a speedy guy in the slot who can catch a crossing route and make people miss.

Also, Arenas is regarded as the best blitzing corner in the draft plus he is great in man coverage. I think he will fit in great at the Nickel back. He will be great if we blitz him to create pressure, he can cover, and he is a sure tackler so he should be great on the edge in run support.

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, it appears that Pioli and team think that the defensive backfield and receivers were our biggest needs. 3 defensive backs and two receivers. And an offensive lineman.

We will see

Bike
04-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, it appears that Pioli and team think that the defensive backfield and receivers were our biggest needs. 3 defensive backs and two receivers. And an offensive lineman.
e
We will see

Well we still have the free agency period to get through yet. Maybe we find an experienced nt and linebacker there. Who knows. Maybe Pioli has something in the works..

chief31
04-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I hope all the players drafted are great. Just as Bwilliams and anyone else here who is upset does.

But absolutely everyone here knew that our biggest deficiencies last season were Run-D, Pass-rush and Pass-protection. We ranked near the bottom of the league in each of those areas.

Now, knowing this, as everybody does, that leaves certain positions as suspect for fault.

Run-D? NT, DE and ILB are the core of positions responsible. Having drafted DEs with our fitst two picks last season, it leaves us looking for upgrades at NT and ILB.

We didn't do that.

Pass-rush? Well, in a 3-4 defense, that responsibility is primarily on the OLBs.

We didn't do that either.

Pass-protection? Well, this one is easily dismissed, eventhough we were among the worst in The NFL last season.

Dismissal A) Albert had a couple of good games at LOT, so he is gonna be a star!

Dismissal B) We are switching to a "zone-blocking scheme. No need for real blockers.

Fine. dismiss that one and we'll address the first two...

We were about as terrible as a team can be in those two areas, and the only player brought in to address those issues was (DT) Shaun Smith.

This is a guy with 27 starts in seven seasons, with nothing impressive on his resume.

Maybe that guy will be great. No real reason to think he will, but maybe.

But, at this point, this one, very unimpressive, player is the only move to address our biggest two problem areas. We ranked as the 2nd worst in both Pass-rush and Run-D in The NFL in '09.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you need to find some help for those positions through the draft, especially with such high draft position, and an extra 2nd round pick.

Unfortunately, we had someone overthinking the whole thing, and wound up getting part-time players as opposed to full-time starters that addressed our problem areas.

"If you were drafting for us, and getting players that might help stop the run our pressure the QB, then we would be 0-48."

Of course, common sense is always a losing philosophy.

And whatever guy has the job is obviously smarter than everyone else. (Herm Edwards) Oops. Slipped. :D (Carl Peterson) Ooops. Forgive me. Didn't mean to. (Rod Marinelli, Steve Spurrier, Matt Millen, AL Davis, Bobby Petrino, Scott Linehan...) Ah hell, the list is endless.

texaschief
04-24-2010, 06:30 PM
For those who DON'T know...

If CHIEF31 and TEXASCHIEF agree on something, there should be a TON of red flags raising...

honda522
04-24-2010, 06:52 PM
If your pissed don't even watch. $200 the Chiefs go 9-7

$500 they 10-6, and second in the AFC West.

I don't see why your mad about Sh*t! Better off to pick a playmaker that not. Mcculster is going to be great. Berry is going to be awesome. That TE, a stud....I could care less about the draft after we got Berry, cause we got Crennel and Wiess.

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
The team will not fold based on what some of the folks consider a horrid draft. This was a great draft and the Chiefs picked some outstanding players from what was there. It is hard to admit that we won't be magically king of the AFC but I always wish for it. After watching the Chiefs win one Superbowl I have hungered for more. I happen to see things shaping up well.
Honda522 is right about the Moeaki pick he is a stud ,maybe the best TE Kirk Ferentz has ever coached admittedly and that is a huge statement for a head coach. McCluster will not and is not going to be our RB unless something happens to Charles but even if that happens Thomas Jones stands behind him. From what I have researched 3 of our 7 picks are studs and we may have diamonds in the rough in all of them as that is the unknown about the draft.At any time the draft and destiny will turn a 6th or 7th rounder into a gem, like Brady and I know he is over used in that story but it is fact.

SIC J
04-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm still puzzled on how many people still think the draft is how you're magically supposed to make a team better. LOL

Yeah, pick up a bunch of college players to fill a couple spots and BAMMMMM your team is 10 times better. Damn its so simple. LOL

And thats why you're all NFL coaches. LMAO!!!!!

chief31
04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm still puzzled on how many people still think the draft is how you're magically supposed to make a team better. LOL

Yeah, pick up a bunch of college players to fill a couple spots and BAMMMMM your team is 10 times better. Damn its so simple. LOL

No magic involved. That IS what you do to try and get better.

Let me tell ya a story....

Once upon a time, there was this sports league, with many teams. And the sport was so popular that people started playing it in school. Colleges even got their own program going in that sport.

Well, as players in this big sports league were not playing as well as others, and some got older, new, better, players were needed. Some were even getting injured, and unable to continue playing as well as before.

But where in the world would this league search for new, better, players?

What a conundrum they had on their hands.

Meanwhile, the school sports program had a problem of it's own. Players of the sport were finished with school, and no longer playing there. Even the best players were actually done with school. And what a shame, as many of them had done nothing but get better and better at the sport as time went on.

Finally, some mad-genius came up with an idea to solve both issues in one simple plan!!!!!

Do you really think that NFL teams attend the NFL thinking that they aren't going to improve their team by choosing college players to join their NFL team?

I have read some pretty mis-guided statements before, but I have never seen anything as lacking in thought as that, that wasn't intended as a joke.

Was it a joke?

tornadospotter
04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
:efpge::lol::beat_DeadHorse::meow::wtfdude::thumbu p1: :thumbdown: :schlacht:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!:D

70 chiefsfan70
04-24-2010, 08:12 PM
:efpge::lol::beat_DeadHorse::meow::wtfdude::thumbu p1: :thumbdown: :schlacht:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!:D

ME TOO!!!!!!!
Seems some folks didn't get there players picked and now they got there panties all bunched up in there u know what and now let out a bunch of boohoos thinkin Mommy will make it all better.

I say lets trust our good coaches and wait and see what happens......
Its going to be a great year!

GO CHIEFS!!!!:chiefs:

SIC J
04-24-2010, 08:44 PM
No magic involved. That IS what you do to try and get better.

Let me tell ya a story....

Once upon a time, there was this sports league, with many teams. And the sport was so popular that people started playing it in school. Colleges even got their own program going in that sport.

Well, as players in this big sports league were not playing as well as others, and some got older, new, better, players were needed. Some were even getting injured, and unable to continue playing as well as before.

But where in the world would this league search for new, better, players?

What a conundrum they had on their hands.

Meanwhile, the school sports program had a problem of it's own. Players of the sport were finished with school, and no longer playing there. Even the best players were actually done with school. And what a shame, as many of them had done nothing but get better and better at the sport as time went on.

Finally, some mad-genius came up with an idea to solve both issues in one simple plan!!!!!

Do you really think that NFL teams attend the NFL thinking that they aren't going to improve their team by choosing college players to join their NFL team?

I have read some pretty mis-guided statements before, but I have never seen anything as lacking in thought as that, that wasn't intended as a joke.

Was it a joke?

Get real..... Let's see, there were 255 players drafted this year. There are about 1700 players in the NFL. How many of those players are actually gonna "make it in the NFL" or even make the team? Cause I can tell you right now that 255 players from the 2009 season aren't getting cut. Haha! The average career in the NFL is 2-4 years. So out of the 5-7 players each team drafts each year, maybe 2 or 3 are even NFL material, and we're not talking about GOOD players either.

SO, NO the draft isn't going to fill all your needed spots. You might fill 1 or 2 spots and that doesn't even mean its going to be an improvement ie Dorsey and Jackson. (And yes I am saying I'm not impressed by those 2 guys AT ALL so far). And a lot of times those "filler" (late round) picks end up being a teams best pick and the team finds a star position in a spot they weren't trying looking for. Hell, the Chiefs best pick last year was #256 with Succop!

So if you honestly think that any team is going into the draft thinking they are going to fill 7 spots on the roster then you're an idiot. They know that a bunch of them will never make the roster.

But hey, you're going to be coaching the Chiefs this year right? :lol:

chief31
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM

SO, NO the draft isn't going to fill all your needed spots.

So if you honestly think that any team is going into the draft thinking they are going to fill 7 spots on the roster then you're an idiot.

A.) Looks like you have changed your stance. You started out saying that a draft making a team better would be "Magical". Now you are aware that some spots will b made better, just not all of them. That's where the rest of the planet is on that. You're welcome for the enlightenment.

B.) Unfortunately, you are arguing with people that don't seem to exist. I haven't seen anyone claiming that we needed to fill "all our needs".

But then, that's just what you do, isn't it? Pretty much just act like someone said one thing and argue with that, regardless of what was actually said.

Well, that, and act like no matter who has the job, that they know best, no matter what. And anyone who doesn't agree is just a failure because they aren't the coach.

By the way, I assume that means that you are going to be the HC?

SIC J
04-24-2010, 09:10 PM
A.) Looks like you have changed your stance. You started out saying that a draft making a team better would be "Magical". Now you are aware that some spots will b made better, just not all of them. That's where the rest of the planet is on that. You're welcome for the enlightenment.

B.) Unfortunately, you are arguing with people that don't seem to exist. I haven't seen anyone claiming that we needed to fill "all our needs".

But then, that's just what you do, isn't it? Pretty much just act like someone said one thing and argue with that, regardless of what was actually said.

Well, that, and act like no matter who has the job, that they know best, no matter what. And anyone who doesn't agree is just a failure because they aren't the coach.

By the way, I assume that means that you are going to be the HC?

Obviously you can't read cuz I said.....

"You might fill 1 or 2 spots and that doesn't even mean its going to be an improvement"

So you're A) point only proves you can't read. So anything you say from here on out has no creditability cuz again, you can not read. HAHA!

So please first learn how to read before you start coaching this year. Unless you plan on using a picture book, then you'll be ok. LOL

And AGAIN, when did I ever say anything like this "Well, that, and act like no matter who has the job, that they know best, no matter what". Sounds like you're the one who likes to assume and you're the one doing this "But then, that's just what you do, isn't it? Pretty much just act like someone said one thing and argue with that, regardless of what was actually said."

:lol:

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 09:47 PM
If your pissed don't even watch. $200 the Chiefs go 9-7

$500 they 10-6, and second in the AFC West.

I don't see why your mad about Sh*t! Better off to pick a playmaker that not. Mcculster is going to be great. Berry is going to be awesome. That TE, a stud....I could care less about the draft after we got Berry, cause we got Crennel and Wiess.

I'll take that. $500 the Chiefs don't go 10-6. I'll take either cash or check.

chief31
04-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Obviously you can't read cuz I said.....

"You might fill 1 or 2 spots and that doesn't even mean its going to be an improvement"

So you're A) point only proves you can't read. So anything you say from here on out has no creditability cuz again, you can not read. HAHA!

So please first learn how to read before you start coaching this year. Unless you plan on using a picture book, then you'll be ok. LOL

And AGAIN, when did I ever say anything like this "Well, that, and act like no matter who has the job, that they know best, no matter what".

This was actually implied when you said

Sounds like you're the one who likes to assume and you're the one doing this "But then, that's just what you do, isn't it? Pretty much just act like someone said one thing and argue with that, regardless of what was actually said."

So, no. I was actually arguing with your sarcasm.

But I am now curious.... Did you not imply that a draft that improves a team is magic?

Before you answer, I'll quote it for ya...

Is the notion of imroving an NFL team by drafting college players magic? What about the "forward pass" in the NFL? Is that also some form of wizardry?

But it's all good. You go ahead and come back and imply that I am the stupid one for believing that college players can become great NFL players and make teams better.

I really should have known better than to walk past the chimps' cage while not expecting them to fling poo. But I know there is more crap to follow.

AkChief49
04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I really should have known better than to walk past the chimps' cage while not expecting them to fling poo. But I know there is more crap to follow.[/quote]
:lol::lol:chimps crack me up. Chiefster, bring back the chimp with the gun!!

wichitaj
04-25-2010, 12:10 AM
fail

SIC J
04-25-2010, 12:33 AM
So, no. I was actually arguing with your sarcasm.

But I am now curious.... Did you not imply that a draft that improves a team is magic?

Before you answer, I'll quote it for ya...

Is the notion of imroving an NFL team by drafting college players magic? What about the "forward pass" in the NFL? Is that also some form of wizardry?

But it's all good. You go ahead and come back and imply that I am the stupid one for believing that college players can become great NFL players and make teams better.

I really should have known better than to walk past the chimps' cage while not expecting them to fling poo. But I know there is more crap to follow.

Sounds like you're changing YOUR stance. As I said, maybe you should learn to read before you post.

I don't need to try to insult or make you look dumb. You did that yourself with your lack of reading and comprehension skills.

I'll leave it at this, I'll take a chimp in an argument over you any day. :lol:

chief31
04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I'll take a chimp in an argument .

My money is on the chimp.:lol:

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
For those who DON'T know...

If CHIEF31 and TEXASCHIEF agree on something, there should be a TON of red flags raising...
LOL!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: