PDA

View Full Version : Close losses

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Last year there were a lot of close losses that could have easily been won with a few more quality players. That is another reason i believe the chiefs are not far away from being a playoff team again! To all the people that say it will be a long time before anything good happens, I'll have to strongly disagree, due to many reason, including the 'close losses'.

Just wanted to remind everyone of this before they start worrying about the productivity of the team if they don't like the draft choices so far.

chief31
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Last year there were a lot of close losses that could have easily been won with a few more quality players. That is another reason i believe the chiefs are not far away from being a playoff team again! To all the people that say it will be a long time before anything good happens, I'll have to strongly disagree, due to many reason, including the 'close losses'.

Just wanted to remind everyone of this before they start worrying about the productivity of the team if they don't like the draft choices so far.

That's all well and good. But the '08 Chiefs lost 8 games by 7 or fewer points. (6 in '09)

And the '08 team lost 3 games by four point, or less. (2 in '09)

Close losses are gonna happen. But there are still losses.

bwilliams
04-25-2010, 12:00 AM

What?!

Week 1 - Ravens (lost by 14)
Week 2 - Oakland (lost by 3)
Week 3 - Eagles (lost by 20)
Week 4 - Giants (lost by 11)
Week 5 - Cowboys (lost by 6)
Week 7 - Chargers (lost by 30)
Week 9 - Jacksonville (lost by 3)
Week 12 - Charger (lost by 29)
Week 13 - Denver (lost by 31)
Week 14 - Buffalo (lost by 6)
Week 15 - Cleveland (lost by 7)
Week 16 - Cincinatti (lost by 7)

Where's all this close loss talk coming from? We lost eight games by a touchdown or more. We lost two others by six and two by 3.

By the way, those four losses within a TD were all to teams who ran the ball and controlled the clock for the win.

AussieChiefsFan
04-25-2010, 12:46 AM
What?!

Week 1 - Ravens (lost by 14)
Week 2 - Oakland (lost by 3)
Week 3 - Eagles (lost by 20)
Week 4 - Giants (lost by 11)
Week 5 - Cowboys (lost by 6)
Week 7 - Chargers (lost by 30)
Week 9 - Jacksonville (lost by 3)
Week 12 - Charger (lost by 29)
Week 13 - Denver (lost by 31)
Week 14 - Buffalo (lost by 6)
Week 15 - Cleveland (lost by 7)
Week 16 - Cincinatti (lost by 7)

Where's all this close loss talk coming from? We lost eight games by a touchdown or more. We lost two others by six and two by 3.

By the way, those four losses within a TD were all to teams who ran the ball and controlled the clock for the win.
I'm just saying that If they win a lot of those close game (within 7 points) the record won't be 4-12, more like 8-8, then if they improve on that they could go more like 11-5 or 12-4.

AkChief49
04-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm just saying that If they win a lot of those close game (within 7 points) the record won't be 4-12, more like 8-8, then if they improve on that they could go more like 11-5 or 12-4.
Their argument Aussie is that to improve you need to control the game . i.e. pound the rock and/or the D has to make a stop. And it's usually the horses upfront that get you there. The trenches are a thankless job, no glory, no dancing down the sideline, but it's where the game is won or lost. Control the line....

AussieChiefsFan
04-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Their argument Aussie is that to improve you need to control the game . i.e. pound the rock and/or the D has to make a stop. And it's usually the horses upfront that get you there. The trenches are a thankless job, no glory, no dancing down the sideline, but it's where the game is won or lost. Control the line....
Yeah. I think they should have definately drafted cam thomas! It's hard to believe that they didn't! He was available at 5a and 5b!

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't understand the point of this thread. Couldn't you say that about anybody?

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 01:40 AM
I think the point of the thread is simply to point out that there is always positive to be found in negative.

As far as close games...losing a game by one score is considered a close game by many. We did lose several games by a score.

I was at the Oakland opener, and if memory is correct, statistically we won that game, on paper where it counted we lost. I was at the Cleveland game, and I can guarantee there was a bad pass interference call that cost us that game...I saw it with my own eyes.

whatwasthat?
04-25-2010, 01:50 AM
I was at the Oakland opener, and if memory is correct, statistically we won that game, on paper where it counted we lost. I was at the Cleveland game, and I can guarantee there was a bad pass interference call that cost us that game...I saw it with my own eyes.

and a chris chambers dropped pass

Hayvern
04-25-2010, 01:56 AM
There are a lot of reasons this team lost games. We cannot forget that this is a team sport. Yeah we have lost a lot of games by a small amount of points. But you have to look at those opportunities that were blown.

We had many times when our offensive line broke down and Cassel was sacked or threw the ball away. There was a couple of games were he was pressured to throw an interception. That is what happens when your offensive line sucks. Every team knows that young inexperienced QBs will do that.

There are also many of times where the defense blew coverage and allowed a long gain. Or worse, they were caught on a running play and they allowed that extra seven points that we needed to win the game.

The point of thread is well taken. With a couple of key players in some key positions, those games get turned around. It is tough for a team to lose all the time, but lets hope the losing mentality is gone this year.

AkChief49
04-25-2010, 02:37 AM

Chris Chambers was not on the team at that time

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 03:28 AM
There are a lot of reasons this team lost games. We cannot forget that this is a team sport. Yeah we have lost a lot of games by a small amount of points. But you have to look at those opportunities that were blown.

We had many times when our offensive line broke down and Cassel was sacked or threw the ball away. There was a couple of games were he was pressured to throw an interception. That is what happens when your offensive line sucks. Every team knows that young inexperienced QBs will do that.

There are also many of times where the defense blew coverage and allowed a long gain. Or worse, they were caught on a running play and they allowed that extra seven points that we needed to win the game.

The point of thread is well taken. With a couple of key players in some key positions, those games get turned around. It is tough for a team to lose all the time, but lets hope the losing mentality is gone this year.

I don't disagree at all. However, I do wonder what impact firing the OC and throwing out the playbook 2 wks before the season began...may have had on our offense overall. As well, the Larry Johnson fiasco, Bowe suspension, many players brought together for the first time, new GM & coaches to those who were Chiefs the year prior and having to adjust to those changes.

There were so many highly unusual negative factors & circumstances for an NFL team that took place with the Chiefs last season, that I feel it's next to impossible to fairly judge. The team as well as individual players, had to be affected in a negative aspect with focusing on and playing to full potential, including our OL.

The 2010 season will be one of which a much more fair assessment can be made, as hopefully the team & coaching staff won't be faced with the same negative factors & circumstances they were last season.

AkChief49
04-25-2010, 06:11 AM
I think the point of the thread is simply to point out that there is always positive to be found in negative.

As far as close games...losing a game by one score is considered a close game by many. We did lose several games by a score.

My apologies, I did not see Cleveland in there:D

chief31
04-25-2010, 09:27 AM

I just feel like it is closed-minded to look at it that way, unless you also look at it from the opposite angle.

Including games that we won by 8 points ( A TD with a 2-poit conversion) the we could have lost 15 games in '09.

I know we just want to see thing from a more positive perspective.

But I hate to do that. I feel a need to see things from an accurate perspective. So if I am going to say we lost some close ones that we could have won, then I have to also see that we won some close games that we could have lost.

It helps keep me from windng up with that horrible feeling of disapointment, while not depriving me of the chance to be surprised.

I kind of pride myself on having a pretty good idea of what to expect from the team.

I had a little bit of disapointment in '04 and a slight surprise in '06. But I have not been shocked with the results of a Chiefs season for quite some time.

Playoffs? Now that's a different story.

70 chiefsfan70
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't disagree at all. However, I do wonder what impact firing the OC and throwing out the playbook 2 wks before the season began...may have had on our offense overall. As well, the Larry Johnson fiasco, Bowe suspension, many players brought together for the first time, new GM & coaches to those who were Chiefs the year prior and having to adjust to those changes.

There were so many highly unusual negative factors & circumstances for an NFL team that took place with the Chiefs last season, that I feel it's next to impossible to fairly judge. The team as well as individual players, had to be affected in a negative aspect with focusing on and playing to full potential, including our OL.

The 2010 season will be one of which a much more fair assessment can be made, as hopefully the team & coaching staff won't be faced with the same negative factors & circumstances they were last season.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

With our new coaches and real play calling we would have won at least 3 maybe 5 more games!!!!

Our OL is not nearly as bad as ppl here are making it sound, when the QB holds the ball too long,(Because he has a bad hapit of doing so) or because the WR's are slow and can't get open, its not nesesarily due to a bad OL.....The Pats had a very GOOD OL!

Come on my fellow CHIEFS FANS get on the HAPPY WAGON ... Its a good year to be a Chiefs Fan!!!!!!!

okikcfan
04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Again, I totally agree with Connie jo and Chiefsfan 70, Everything has changed from the years past. I for one have not felt so good for soooo long about this upcomming season. And our offseason isn't even done yet. We have so much to look forward to. This will be a make it or break it year for certin players (Bowe) I cant wait for the Monday night game vs San Diego! GO CHIEFS!