PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grade Thus Far

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
So throughout the three rounds this is how i grade the Chiefs Picks.

Round 1, Pick #5: S Eric Berry = A+
You know how i feel about this pick, its simply a homerun.

Round 2, Pick #36: RB/WR Dexter Mcluster = B

(Because he is going to be used as slot receiver and special teams)

Round 2, Pick #50: DB Javier Arenas = C
Could have went with a few other options here instead. However, I think he is a great addition to our team.

Round 3, Pick # 68: G Jon Asamoah = A- (This was a steal)

Round 3, pick # 93 TE Tony Moeaki = A-
(Another steal this late in the draft, lets hope he stays healthy)

So if there was a GPA for the first three rounds, the chiefs would have a 3.28. Which is very good in my opinion.

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
So, so far, it's been a great draft! Exactly what I think, remember when I didn't like alst year's draft choices? Completely different story this year!

yashi
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Garilla I'm sure you've seen a lot of Moeaki. What can you tell us about that guy (unless you've already posted it somewhere and I missed it)?

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey Garilla I'm sure you've seen a lot of Moeaki. What can you tell us about that guy (unless you've already posted it somewhere and I missed it)?

Moeaki is an excellent blocker, has good speed, decent hands, runs routes well, and was a team captain for the hawkeyes.

He is a class act on and off the field, and fits the "Chiefs" way, like a glove.

He has had a couple injuries, including a broken foot in 2007, and a sprained ankle that kept him out of much of the next season.

However, when he was healthy last season, he had 30 catches and four touchdowns.

Here is a tribute to him from the Hawkeyes:

YouTube- 2009 Iowa Hawkeye Football - Tony Moeaki Tribute

yashi
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Good stuff. This guy looks really good and has excellent hands. I can easily see him becoming our starting TE. We definitely have a couple sleepers at TE with Cottam and Moeaki. Hopefully at least one of them can stay healthy. :D

endzonewillie
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Cottam and Moeaki both on the field at the same time wow. When we lost TG I wondered if Haley even wanted a good TE but now I see what he wanted to do. I grade this draft a B+ we addressed some serious needs with a excellant safety as well as his possible back up a slot wr , TE and a star slot coverage back, pass rusher and a OLineman but, we did one thing in this draft we needed more than all in raising the bar in the speed dept. The team is much faster now than it was last year.

honda522
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I'll go with a B+. Just be cause we didn't have that many other picks, but then again....They were some high round picks.

Three7s
04-24-2010, 07:39 PM
C-

Pioli says improve team speed, but it was the speed on the defense that was bad. All he did was draft speed on offense.

*waits for all the homers to blast this post*

chief31
04-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm sticking with a (D+).

We may well have gotten some great players. But we left our team with some of the worst situations in the league.

tornadospotter
04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Well he has a great Chief's player first name, so my question is, did he play basketball?

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm sticking with a (D+).

We may well have gotten some great players. But we left our team with some of the worst situations in the league.

Wow worse in the league huh?

tornadospotter
04-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Moeaki is an excellent blocker, has good speed, decent hands, runs routes well, and was a team captain for the hawkeyes.

He is a class act on and off the field, and fits the "Chiefs" way, like a glove.

He has had a couple injuries, including a broken foot in 2007, and a sprained ankle that kept him out of much of the next season.

However, when he was healthy last season, he had 30 catches and four touchdowns.

Here is a tribute to him from the Hawkeyes:

YouTube- 2009 Iowa Hawkeye Football - Tony Moeaki Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GoGPZ-43CY)

Well he has a great Chief's player first name, so my question is, did he play basketball?
Opps, forgot to quote the post I was talking about, me bad! :whipping1:

Three7s
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Me and chief31 are two of the more pessimistic people on this forum. Like him, I just can't get excited knowing that we still have a terrible run-defense. We WILL get gashed.

wichitaj
04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
a PLUS for taking berry when most GM's dont' have the gonads to take the best player available if he's not a QB or RB or LB Bravo now lets win on Monday night!!!!!!

wichitaj
04-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Me and chief31 are two of the more pessimistic people on this forum. Like him, I just can't get excited knowing that we still have a terrible run-defense. We WILL get gashed.

me and coach are the two most drunk and overly beer'd people on this forum, and as such, i love you man, now go get a free hug from chiefster..

chief31
04-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Ummmm. No. I didn't bother to grade the rest. So I have no clue where you came up with that.

matthewschiefs
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Have you thought about that its possible that A. The new Defense coaching will help the players that we have now. or B. That this year they will not have to spend as much time just getting into shape so they will have more time to work on the real football parts. I am not saying that the players we have now have done much to prove they can be a good D. But those are to things you have to consider.

At this time last year we had a fat out of shape Defense. The first thing haley did was to work to get them in shape. They will see the rewards for that assumeing they come into camp in shape. Wait till you see them getting gutted before you decide we have a terrible D this year. They might might just surprise people.

Three7s
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM
He thinks you meant worst draft in the league, when you really meant just worst team needs in the league that weren't filled.

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
He thinks you meant worst draft in the league, when you really meant just worst team needs in the league that weren't filled.

Correct, thats what i thought he meant.

Anyways, its all gloom and doom. Take a moment and just tell yourselves that we are far better off then we were last season!

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Opps, forgot to quote the post I was talking about, me bad! :whipping1:

No Prob! Tony played basketball and tennis in high school, but not for the Hawkeyes.

honda522
04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
C-

Pioli says improve team speed, but it was the speed on the defense that was bad. All he did was draft speed on offense.

*waits for all the homers to blast this post*
I guess a 4.47 is slow in the NFL today.....

chief31
04-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Correct, thats what i thought he meant.

Anyways, its all gloom and doom. Take a moment and just tell yourselves that we are far better off then we were last season!

I agree with that, to a degree. I don't need to remind myself.

I am not "all doom and gloom" here. I just don't think we made the right choices in this draft. And it has shaken the confidence that the two Coordinator signings had given me.

Not destroyed, just shaken.

kcnation
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
id have to rate this draft for us about a c- or a D,we did not address our main problems.run defense will be horrible again,and cassel will be running for his life again.mclusters drafted that high,give me a break,theres a guy we did not need,arenas,another busted pick.we drafted all secondary help and i guess we should have since they will be making most of the tackles.

i may be overreacting a bit but i had high hopes for this draft since we had so man early picks.i know to wait and see what happens but im not to sure its going to pan out

tornadospotter
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
No Prob! Tony played basketball and tennis in high school, but not for the Hawkeyes.
Well I am liking this pick even more!

honda522
04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
OMG. Do people people not know what a saftey DOES?

Bike
04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Please enlighten us...

Three7s
04-24-2010, 09:32 PM
A safety isn't meant to stop the run......

Berry is one of the best coverage guys in the draft, but if there is an issue, it's tackling. You get LBs and D-line for the run.

honda522
04-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Please enlighten us...
No, please. Tell what you think they do? I wanna know.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM

We don't think you know.

And which safety? A strong safety or a free safety? And which of those do you think Berry will play?

Bike
04-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm not here to educate you. I'm here solely for my entertainment. You are the one that brought up the fact that people here don't know what a safety does. So I'm thinking you are the one that should tell us... Lets hear it.

Three7s
04-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not here to educate you. I'm here solely for my entertainment. You are the one that brought up the fact that people here don't know what a safety does. So I'm thinking you are the one that should tell us... Lets hear it.
You keep me in stitches man!

We all know what honda will say, but I think, as far as Berry goes, I pegged it. Of course, people will argue.

Bike
04-24-2010, 09:45 PM
You keep me in stitches man!

We all know what honda will say, but I think, as far as Berry goes, I pegged it. Of course, people will argue.
Awesome. Keep all your 7's!!!! (remember that a couple years ago lol!!!)

honda522
04-24-2010, 09:48 PM

I really do want to know what people think a safety does. I played football for 3 years in high school. Too small to play college, but I really want to coach. I pay attention to alot of things, they way players play in a game. I really want to coach....

First of all a saftey reads. It is going to be a run or pass? If they are covering someone, it really depends on the defense their playing, they will cover and still read the play.

So if it is a pass he covers a man, or a zone..or if the play calls for a biltz then....

But on run. I bet he just stands around. Oh wait! He flys to the ball, like any other player.

If you have ever, watched Berry highlights, you will know he fly's to the football. He might not be the first one there, but he is there..helping..

If he ain't defending the pass, he is defending the run, just like any other player. And Berry with his speed is going to make a big difference in open field takes.

Occasion, I will be he over shoots the defender tho.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I really do want to know what people think a safety does. I played football for 3 years in high school. Too small to play college, but I really want to coach. I pay attention to alot of things, they way players play in a game. I really want to coach....

First of all a saftey reads. It is going to be a run or pass? If they are covering someone, it really depends on the defense their playing, they will cover and still read the play.

So if it is a pass he covers a man, or a zone..or if the play calls for a biltz then....

But on run. I bet he just stands around. Oh wait! He flys to the ball, like any other player.

If you have ever, watched Berry highlights, you will know he fly's to the football. He might not be the first one there, but he is there..helping..

If he ain't defending the pass, he is defending the run, just like any other player. And Berry with his speed is going to make a big difference in open field takes.

You think it doesn't matter if teams make 8 yards per pass attempt or get 5 YPC. Of course you think safeties can somehow magically win games by getting to a run play after a five yard gain or that a lack of a pass rush won't matter to a safetiy's ability to cover.

Three7s
04-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Sounds to me like you're leaning a heck of a lot on Berry. I know he's a heck of a player, though I do like his coverage ability more than what he does against the run. I just wish we could've, at least, helped Berry out and got an ILB.

honda522
04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Look, I am not saying Berry should be the first one there. But what about Tyson Jackson, Alex Magee, Glen Dorsey?

Your just going to throw them away. They are good players, they just need a little bit of working from Crennel...with the right training and adjustments, they should get better.

This is Piolis plan, I think. I don't care who else we drafted, or why we didn't draft them. Mike Brown, was not. Glen Doresy is. Tyson Jackson is. They have shown they can be good.

the goal, is to make them good ALL the time...not just once in a blue moon.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Look, I am not saying Berry should be the first one there. But what about Tyson Jackson, Alex Magee, Glen Dorsey?

Your just going to throw them away. They are good players, they just need a little bit of working from Crennel...with the right training and adjustments, they should get better.

This is Piolis plan, I think. I don't care who else we drafted, or why we didn't draft them. Mike Brown, was not. Glen Doresy is. Tyson Jackson is. They have shown they can be good.

A 3-4 defense cannot work without a nose tackle (NT). A nose tackle is a big DT who is strong enough to hold his ground against 2, or even 3, interior lineman. A good nose tackle will prevent teams from running up the middle. This is important because it free up your OLBs to rush the passer, and to allow your ILBs to focus on the ball carrier, as opposed to being blocked by OGs or OTs. A nose tackle is usually 320+ and over 6'4", although a very strong player can be slightly shorter or slightly less heavy.

Dorsey, Magee, Smith, Edwards, and Jackson are not nose tackles (they are 3-4 DEs or 4-3 DTs), although Smith and Edwards have been converted to such, both both are too light, too short, and not strong enough to be proper NTs.

Do you understand now?

honda522
04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh for the love of god, put a sock in it...or on your hands.

Ron Edwards is just fine. He isn't terrible, but he isn't the greatest in world. I understand the 3-4 probably better than you. I don't believe are line is as bad as they look.

Ever consider that Pioil didn't care the nose tackles in this draft?

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 10:29 PM

Ron Edwards is just fine. He isn't terrible, but he isn't the greatest in world. I understand the 3-4 probably better than you. I don't believe are line is as bad as they look.

You didn't know what a safety was, so I didn't know if you knew what a nose tackle was.

And your NT is not "fine" if your 3-4 defense ranks 31st in the league against the run. Or do you think that was because of safety play as well?

Bike
04-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Ron Edwards SUCKS.

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Ron Edwards SUCKS.

I actually have to disagree with you on that note. While he certainly isnt the ideal NT for the Chiefs, I think hes doing an OK job in the meantime.

Hayvern
04-25-2010, 12:50 AM
I actually have to disagree with you on that note. While he certainly isnt the ideal NT for the Chiefs, I think hes doing an OK job in the meantime.

I don't know, it is tough to say, Edwards did not have the best support on each side of him last year.

I do remember one game where Edwards had a chance to run down a QB, it was rather hilarious to watch him chase the QB for about 5 steps and then stop and put his hands on his waste like he was trying to catch his breath.

Honestly, I lost a lot of hope for him being an answer when I saw that.

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I don't know, it is tough to say, Edwards did not have the best support on each side of him last year.

I do remember one game where Edwards had a chance to run down a QB, it was rather hilarious to watch him chase the QB for about 5 steps and then stop and put his hands on his waste like he was trying to catch his breath.

Honestly, I lost a lot of hope for him being an answer when I saw that.

Yeah i remember that one, i was like WTF Edwards!

Bike
04-25-2010, 12:58 AM
That goes a long way towards explaining our 31st ranked run defense...the man was CONSTANTLY going backwards - and it took just the opposing center to do it. Witness San Diego center Hardwick during the slaughter the bolts handed to us at Arrowhead last year. I was at that game and dude - it was embarrassing. Ron Edwards has neither the weight or the talent to be a nt in the nfl. He would be a backup DL anywhere else...

kcnation
04-25-2010, 01:18 AM

jackson and dorsey are just two lazy players,also figures they come from lsu

jackson is just too small

dorsey is just fat and lazy and gets pushed around

as far as mr MaGOO who the hell knows what he is doing....our front line is terrible and we did not address it at all

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:27 AM

as far as mr MaGOO who the hell knows what he is doing....our front line is terrible and we did not address it at all
Is the large font really necessary? I'm trying to type this crap on my phone at work....

chief31
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM

Jackson was a rookie, and Dorsey is playing the wrong position. I have some hope for those two guys.

But Ron Edwards was a servicable backup 4-3 DT. He was terrible at NT last season, and I highly doubt there is much improvement to come from him in that role.

Although, a significant improvement of the other players in the front of our defense could possibly mask his deficiencies.

70 chiefsfan70
04-25-2010, 09:00 AM
We now have coaches Both Lines will play well this year!

yashi
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
The negativity in this thread makes me want to vomit.

honda522
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
We now have coaches Both Lines will play well this year!
This :bananen_smilies046:

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 11:14 AM
The negativity in this thread makes me want to vomit.

Yeah Bwilliams and Angler have made me throw up in my mouth a few times these last couple days! :sign0094: