PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 09:29 PM
What grade do you give the 2010 NFL Draft?

I really liked the first 5 picks; Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Jon Asamoah and Tony Moeaki!

I think they were all great picks but the last 2 kind of ruined it. No Cam thomas when he was available at both 5a and 5b and they didn't draft a LB either (although Cameron Sheffield is listed as a LB).

So, my draft grade for this year, B+

:bananen_smilies046:

Hayvern
04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
The did draft a linebacker, Cameron Sheffield is a Linebacker. he's not much really and I don't expect him to make much on the team, but he is getting his shot and maybe he is a diamond in the rough.

I have made my thoughts very clear on this draft. While I expect all three of those top picks to make an impact for the team, and likely Asamoah till as well, I don't expect much from Moaeki.

I think there are other needs that we needed to address in the second round, and the pick up of three defensive backs in the draft is a little mind boggling to me, I would give the overall draft grade a C verging on a C-.

This might well go up with the other moves that Pioli may be thinking of doing in the remainder of the offseason. If he is able to bring in one more solid linebacker, nose tackle and offensive tackle, I will be happier with these picks. If we leave things the way they are now, I would stay with my grade of a C+.

There were just too many other more glaring needs than getting two potential return players with 2nd round picks.

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
In terms of talent, this draft is a B. We got some very talented players in Arenas, Berry, Asamoah, and some talented (but very risky) players in Moeaki and McCluster. Both of our 5ths might turn out to be very good special teams/backup players.

In terms of getting us more than four wins in 2010, this draft is a D. Berry and Arenas will help in coverage, and Asamoah will help our interior line, but out biggest three problems were:

1. Bad rush defense
2. Bad pass rush
3. Bad pass protection

Our draft did not improve those three areas. It does not matter how good our safeties are if we can't generate a pass rush. It does not matter how good our KR/PR is if our QB is sacked 60 times next year (see Cribbs, Joshua). It does not matter what we do at all if teams can run 5 YPC and wear our defense out by keeping them on the field 40 minutes a game.

70 chiefsfan70
04-24-2010, 10:48 PM
In terms of talent, this draft is a B. We got some very talented players in Arenas, Berry, Asamoah, and some talented (but very risky) players in Moeaki and McCluster. Both of our 5ths might turn out to be very good special teams/backup players.

In terms of getting us more than four wins in 2010, this draft is a D. Berry and Arenas will help in coverage, and Asamoah will help our interior line, but out biggest three problems were:

1. Bad rush defense
2. Bad pass rush
3. Bad pass protection

Our draft did not improve those three areas. It does not matter how good our safeties are if we can't generate a pass rush. It does not matter how good our KR/PR is if our QB is sacked 60 times next year (see Cribbs, Joshua). It does not matter what we do at all if teams can run 5 YPC and wear our defense out by keeping them on the field 40 minutes a game.

Our new coaches and an extra year of experience for our young team will make our DL and OL much better, which in turn will make our 2010 draft picks look like better choices, However I would have liked to see an ILB and NT. with that I have to grade our draft a B+

Vanilla Garilla
04-24-2010, 10:48 PM
In My Opinion B+

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 10:55 PM

1. Bad rush defense
2. Bad pass rush
3. Bad pass protection

Eric Berry ring any bells?

chief31
04-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Pas protection, IE O-line protecting the passer. Not Pass Defense, which is where Eric Berry's name would be counted. :D

bwilliams
04-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Oh, is Berry lining up at left tackle?

EDIT: What chief31 said

AkChief49
04-24-2010, 11:27 PM
For the money we are going to pay him, he had better ring a lot of bells:D

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Pas protection, IE O-line protecting the passer. Not Pass Defense, which is where Eric Berry's name would be counted. :D
Rightio. http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

AussieChiefsFan
04-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Just out of curiosity. Who voted A+ on the draft grade?

whatwasthat?
04-25-2010, 12:57 AM
i voted a B...i can believe that pioli and company think that shaun smith will be a good player for us, but i would have liked an ILB

didnt micah johnson go undrafted? bring him in here

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Just out of curiosity. Who voted A+ on the draft grade?Who cares. He most definetely doesn't know anything about football.

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 01:42 AM
I voted one of the A+'s Aussie. :)

I had but one interest in the Draft...whether or not we drafted Eric Berry. We did, and he is who I wanted, therefore I give Pioli an A+ for drafting Berry.

As far as rating the overall Draft...from my more positive point of view...until proven otherwise the draft is a success. I give Pioli & crew benefit of doubt they know what they're doing based upon the bigger picture, of which will include FA...so again, A+.

AussieChiefsFan
04-25-2010, 04:44 AM
Who cares. He most definetely doesn't know anything about football.
I think he's still going to get better players in other ways.

KristofLaw
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I voted an A-... we had needs which could have been addressed but really they were. We need alot to turn the team around and the third round guys turn this draft into a success in my opinion. Berry playing centerfield helps too.

Coach
04-25-2010, 10:19 PM
I voted 'B'. I think we got some really good players, but felt like some were luxury picks instead of addressing positions of major need.

If I was rating our draft based on bpa, I'd say an 'A'. Based on position of need, I'd say 'C'. So I'll average it out a 'B'.

CapitalT
04-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Although I like the very talented Berry, I was disappointed that we did not draft any OL in the first 2 rounds. Wiegmann and Lilja could make a difference and perhaps Asamoah long term but that's not enough in my opinion.

I give our draft a "C".

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
My grading scale is a bit more simplistic. I grade on a pass/fail system, and...we passed IMO. :D

Canada
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
i voted a B...i can believe that pioli and company think that shaun smith will be a good player for us, but i would have liked an ILB

didnt micah johnson go undrafted? bring him in here

I don't think they got him as a permanent solution. I think he will be better than an average rookie for the year!! JMHO :bananen_smilies046:

Xanathol
04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
I really liked KC's draft, in that the most important picks yielded some very good players in an area of need:

1. Berry - 'nough said. I don't think the pass rush is as much a problem as the coverage behind it. Better coverage will allow those guys to get to the QB.

2. McCluster - play maker. This guy is exciting with the ball in his hand.

3. Arenas - good return man, good DB, again, building that coverage unit.

If KC can pick up a LT via trade or FA ( such as Flozell ), I'm excited to see the games next year.