Casey Wiegmann
Ryan Lija
Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Jon Asomoah
Tony Moeaki
Jerheme Urban

So why are some of you whining and nagging about draft picks and offseason moves???

This has been one of the best offseasons that i can remember in a very long time! Remember: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Hayvern
04-25-2010, 12:59 AM
We have greatly improved this year with the addition of:

Thomas Jones
Casey Wiegmann
Ryan Lija
Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Jon Asomoah
Tony Moeaki
Jerheme Urban

So why are some of you whining and nagging about draft picks and offseason moves???

This has been one of the best offseasons that i can remember in a very long time! Remember: Rome wasn't built in a day!

No, Rome took a couple hundred years, or perhaps more, but then again, we are not trying to build an empire that took over all of the known world at the time.

:lol:

whatwasthat?
04-25-2010, 01:00 AM
No, Rome took a couple hundred years, or perhaps more, but then again, we are not trying to build an empire that took over all of the known world at the time.

:lol:

or are we? :D

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:08 AM
OK everyone - lets all put on our happy hats and only say positive things about the draft....????!!!! Stop nagging?????

Hayvern
04-25-2010, 01:11 AM
or are we? :D

Well I hope not, because I don't know about you, but I don't have a couple hundred years to wait to see it!

:yahoo:

endzonewillie
04-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Well I hope not, because I don't know about you, but I don't have a couple hundred years to wait to see it!

:yahoo:
You beat me to that one good job.

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:24 AM

:yahoo:No doubt. I'd like to see us get to the Superbowl THIS year. Next year could be no football due to a strike - and the year after - 2012 - well, from what I hear, its the last year on earth. So time is of the essence. Its unfortunate we didn't aquire any LB's or a NT to get this accomplished... :canbeer:

matthewschiefs
04-25-2010, 01:28 AM

Thomas Jones
Casey Wiegmann
Ryan Lija
Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Jon Asomoah
Tony Moeaki
Jerheme Urban

I agree. Things are looking up. GO CHIEFS

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
OK everyone - lets all put on our happy hats and only say positive things about the draft....????!!!! Stop nagging?????

No i have negatives about the draft, like for example Arenas. However, minus that pick, I am satisfied. I just give recognition where its due.

Bike
04-25-2010, 01:45 AM
No i have negatives about the draft, like for example Arenas. However, minus that pick, I am satisfied. I just give recognition where its due.
Thats all hunky dory but why tell us to quit nagging? We'd have nothing to talk about if somebody's opinion didn't differ somewhat...Oh well. I'm going to bed.

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Thats all hunky dory but why tell us to quit nagging? We'd have nothing to talk about if somebody's opinion didn't differ somewhat...Oh well. I'm going to bed.

You do that! Imma sit here and drink my beer, and continue bashing you negative nancies! Just Kidding, to each their own, and were all entitled to our opinions!

tornadospotter
04-25-2010, 02:11 AM
I like all of the New Chief's! I am not thrilled, with how we drafted, but there is a bigger plan than we know. Its is up to the Coaches now to develop this Team, our Chiefs.

70 chiefsfan70
04-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Thomas Jones
Casey Wiegmann
Ryan Lija
Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Jon Asomoah
Tony Moeaki
Jerheme Urban

Just adding the coaches is enough to win more games then last season.

chief31
04-25-2010, 09:41 AM

Hopefully.

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Another plus, i forgot to even mention that we have the best coordinators in the game! Good Call

honda522
04-25-2010, 10:05 AM

This :bananen_smilies046::punk:

Canada
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
No doubt. I'd like to see us get to the Superbowl THIS year. Next year could be no football due to a strike - and the year after - 2012 - well, from what I hear, its the last year on earth. So time is of the essence. Its unfortunate we didn't aquire any LB's or a NT to get this accomplished... :canbeer:

Chiefs sign free agent defensive tackle Shaun Smith from Cincinnati (http://www.examiner.com/x-7168-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Examiner%7Ey2010m3d11-Chiefs-sign-free-agent-defensive-tackle-Shaun-Smith-from-Cincinnati)

We signed a NT this year. As well as the one we had last year who was not terrible for a first time NT. Everyone acts like we didnt get anyone to play that position and we did!! Is he a 10 time pro bowler? No Are the some question surrounding him? Sure but he may very well turn out to play just fine for us. I trust Romo Crennels opinion (about a player that he has coached) more than I trust the opinion of some guy on the internet. Everyone acts like we needed help at every position, but this was a draft where there was not a ton of NT talent available, and our management just might have the forsight to fill that hole now and address it next draft. Thats fine with me.

Pioli and staff did not go inhe same direction that I would have in the draft, but I have not won as many SuperBowl as they have so Im gonna trust in what they have going on right now. I think we are 1 pass rushing LB away from having a pretty bada$$ Defense. New coaching and maturity along the D line will change a lot of things on this team. There is still talent out there in FA. The regular season has not started yet!! :bananen_smilies046:

Vanilla Garilla
04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
This :bananen_smilies046::punk:

Pioli and staff did not go inhe same direction that I would have in the draft, but I have not won as many SuperBowl as they have so Im gonna trust in what they have going on right now. I think we are 1 pass rushing LB away from having a pretty bada$$ Defense. New coaching and maturity along the D line will change a lot of things on this team. There is still talent out there in FA. The regular season has not started yet!! :bananen_smilies046:

Right on Fellas! We gotta have hope, if not then what the hell is the point in being a fan!:bananen_smilies046:

Ryfo18
04-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Chiefs sign free agent defensive tackle Shaun Smith from Cincinnati (http://www.examiner.com/x-7168-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Examiner%7Ey2010m3d11-Chiefs-sign-free-agent-defensive-tackle-Shaun-Smith-from-Cincinnati)

We signed a NT this year. As well as the one we had last year who was not terrible for a first time NT. Everyone acts like we didnt get anyone to play that position and we did!! Is he a 10 time pro bowler? No Are the some question surrounding him? Sure but he may very well turn out to play just fine for us. I trust Romo Crennels opinion (about a player that he has coached) more than I trust the opinion of some guy on the internet. Everyone acts like we needed help at every position, but this was a draft where there was not a ton of NT talent available, and our management just might have the forsight to fill that hole now and address it next draft. Thats fine with me.

I mean, the guy punched current Donkey Brady Quinn in the face. What's not to like about him?

70 chiefsfan70
04-25-2010, 11:46 AM

I agree!
Thats something many fans don't see.

Bike
04-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Pioli and staff did not go inhe same direction that I would have in the draft, but I have not won as many SuperBowl as they have so Im gonna trust in what they have going on right now. I think we are 1 pass rushing LB away from having a pretty bada$$ Defense. New coaching and maturity along the D line will change a lot of things on this team. There is still talent out there in FA. The regular season has not started yet!! :bananen_smilies046:Shaun Smith went undrafted and has been released off 7 teams in 7 years. So we bring him here to anchor our rebuilding defense? Are you serious?

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Reading some posts bashing every aspect of the Chiefs Draft, and the Chiefs in general...over the last few days has been disheartening to say the least. I understand & respect that everyone has a right to their opinion & to express it, but some are nothing but negative. The impression I'm left with is that even if we won the Super Bowl there would be bashing criticism of us not doing it right...we should've done this or that.

I have been nothing but positive since the win over Denver in Denver. From there we had significant & promising coaching changes, of which it is being said by a majority among the NFL, that the Chiefs have assembled one of, if not the best coaching staff in the NFL. Our off season moves & changes are intimidating our Rivals! A majority believe the Chiefs will have a legitimate shot at the AFC West Title, and be the turn around team in 2010. To read some posts here however, one would think our Chiefs are not only doomed in 2010, but we will be the worst team in the NFL!

We have drafted some young talented players of whom many professional analysts, as well as fans of other teams...are not only impressed with, but saying we have drafted some exceptional talented atheletes who will help the Chiefs win. We aren't done yet! We still have until September to improve our team further through the FA, trades.

Furthermore...many make no mention of there being many uusual negative factor's & circumstances last year beyond many players control, of which affected their game...including the firing of our OC & throwing out the playbook 2 wks before regular season began. There was the LJ fiasco, Bowe's suspension, injuries, a new GM & coaches, so much more that other teams in the NFL did not face in such abundance.

With all those obstacles & distractions affecting our Chiefs...we managed to win 4 games, twice as many as the year before...we ended the season in the most incredible way possible! Beating Denver IN Denver, and by many points! We had players set NFL records in that game, as well as franchise records!

Those many negative aspects our Chiefs faced in 2009 are not factored into stats, and the stat's don't tell the rest of the story. I don't believe it's possible to judge any aspect of the 2009 Chiefs fairly, including the OL. I don't believe our 2009 Chiefs team was as bad as our record indicates. I think Pioli & coaching staff hold that same opinion, which likely is why they aren't addressing some issues in the draft some fans feel they should have.

The 2010 season has not even begun yet, and there is absolutely no justified reason to be so negative, rather the opposite...we have so much to look forward to positively as we enter a new season.

GO CHIEFS 2010! YEEHAW! We're back!

okikcfan
04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Reading some posts bashing every aspect of the Chiefs Draft, and the Chiefs in general...over the last few days has been disheartening to say the least. I understand & respect that everyone has a right to their opinion & to express it, but some are nothing but negative. The impression I'm left with is that even if we won the Super Bowl there would be bashing criticism of us not doing it right...we should've done this or that.

I have been nothing but positive since the win over Denver in Denver. From there we had significant & promising coaching changes, of which it is being said by a majority among the NFL, that the Chiefs have assembled one of, if not the best coaching staff in the NFL. Our off season moves & changes are intimidating our Rivals! A majority believe the Chiefs will have a legitimate shot at the AFC West Title, and be the turn around team in 2010. To read some posts here however, one would think our Chiefs are not only doomed in 2010, but we will be the worst team in the NFL!

We have drafted some young talented players of whom many professional analysts, as well as fans of other teams...are not only impressed with, but saying we have drafted some exceptional talented atheletes who will help the Chiefs win. We aren't done yet! We still have until September to improve our team further through the FA, trades.

Furthermore...many make no mention of there being many uusual negative factor's & circumstances last year beyond many players control, of which affected their game...including the firing of our OC & throwing out the playbook 2 wks before regular season began. There was the LJ fiasco, Bowe's suspension, injuries, a new GM & coaches, so much more that other teams in the NFL did not face in such abundance.

With all those obstacles & distractions affecting our Chiefs...we managed to win 4 games, twice as many as the year before...we ended the season in the most incredible way possible! Beating Denver IN Denver, and by many points! We had players set NFL records in that game, as well as franchise records!

Those many negative aspects our Chiefs faced in 2009 are not factored into stats, and the stat's don't tell the rest of the story. I don't believe it's possible to judge any aspect of the 2009 Chiefs fairly, including the OL. I don't believe our 2009 Chiefs team was as bad as our record indicates. I think Pioli & coaching staff hold that same opinion, which likely is why they aren't addressing some issues in the draft some fans feel they should have.

The 2010 season has not even begun yet, and there is absolutely no justified reason to be so negative, rather the opposite...we have so much to look forward to positively as we enter a new season.

Thank You Connie jo, Thank You, Thank You and Thank You!! :yahoo:

matthewschiefs
04-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Great post. The coaching has me more excited about this season then anything eles. Some are not thinking about that. The players that we had before the draft will be better becuse they will have better coaching this season. That and we are not just comeing off herm edwards coaching this team. Allowing them to be fat and out of shape. The coaching is going to be a major impact on this team.

The draft while not eye catching was a Pioli draft. He drafts guys not based on there names or were they played he gets guys that he thinks fit the team. Until I see the chiefs as bad or worse as last season i am thinking we are going to be a much better football team.

The AFC west is for the takeing. Oakland well there Oakland. Denver is rebuilding to the extent they took Tim Tebow as there QBOTF. And The Chargers are IMO going to be rebuilding as well. They have lost a number of players and there not going to be as good. There window has closed. This divison is right for the takeing CHIEFS AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

okikcfan
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I totally agree. I think one thing that killed us last year was that Haley bit off more that he could chew by taking on the OC job. It was just too much for a first year coach. This year will ROCK! Arrowhead will ROCK! And as Connie jo stated, The CHIEFS will be the turn around team in 2010!!!!!

70 chiefsfan70
04-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Awsome way to put it Thank You!
These young players are leaders...6 out of 7 were there team captains, and that says a lot!

I'm soooo excited to see them play!:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

Bike
04-25-2010, 12:53 PM

GO CHIEFS 2010! YEEHAW! We're back!Hey CJ - it is a public forum after all. Its a place to express our opinions - some good, some not so good. We all want the same thing here - for our Chiefs to be a perrenial playoff contender and get to, and win, the superbowl!
I have been negative sometimes - but its how I feel. I am still optimistc! I am slowly starting to warm up to our draft picks. I am no expert on the NFL and the draft - just one fans opinion. I think Berry is a fantastic pick and will be awesome playing centerfield in our defense. Both our 2nd round picks will improve our special teams dramatically! Pioli wanted a faster team, and we are definetely faster today!
Our most pressing need on this team was to stop the run and get to the QB. Perhaps Pioli didn't address this because he didn't see the personnel in the draft to do it. Or maybe he will during FA. Or maybe he does it next draft. Or maybe he doesn't address this at all. Maybe he is hoping Crennel can raise the bar on our existing players. I don't know! All I know is that our defense was terrible last year and it needs to improve for us to compete...
I am not sold on Pioli/Haley yet - they are both new at their respective positions. But I am most definetely rooting for them to get our Chiefs to the next level...
:chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

chief31
04-25-2010, 01:51 PM

Absoluely none?

chiefnut
04-25-2010, 02:12 PM
my biggest problem is one of the CHIEFS biggest problems, a 3-4 defense w/o a true nose tackle. we had a couple of chances to pick one and didn't, i hope Pioli has a trade or FA signing ahead. the O line has been upgraded to an average NFL line only a solid LT away from the next level. secondary lookin good, offensive weapons upgraded as well. just pleeeeeease get a NT.

matthewschiefs
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
my biggest problem is one of the CHIEFS biggest problems, a 3-4 defense w/o a true nose tackle. we had a couple of chances to pick one and didn't, i hope Pioli has a trade or FA signing ahead. the O line has been upgraded to an average NFL line only a solid LT away from the next level. secondary lookin good, offensive weapons upgraded as well. just pleeeeeease get a NT.

My thinking right now is that they belive that they have someone there now that with the new coaching can step up and be that NT. I am thinking that is why we did not address that in the draft. Or at least i hope thats what they are thinking and that they are right. We should be much better this season CANT WAIT.

diehardkcfan
04-25-2010, 02:46 PM

im sure they just werent impressed with any of the NTs in the draft otherwise they would have taken one.. if they didnt believe any of the NTs was the future NT of the chiefs then im happy they didnt take one

Bike
04-25-2010, 03:22 PM
im sure they just werent impressed with any of the NTs in the draft otherwise they would have taken one.. if they didnt believe any of the NTs was the future NT of the chiefs then im happy they didnt take oneThats kinda my thinking. Next years draft I think has some quality NT's coming out...

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey CJ - it is a public forum after all. Its a place to express our opinions - some good, some not so good. We all want the same thing here - for our Chiefs to be a perrenial playoff contender and get to, and win, the superbowl!
I have been negative sometimes - but its how I feel. I am still optimistc! I am slowly starting to warm up to our draft picks. I am no expert on the NFL and the draft - just one fans opinion. I think Berry is a fantastic pick and will be awesome playing centerfield in our defense. Both our 2nd round picks will improve our special teams dramatically! Pioli wanted a faster team, and we are definetely faster today!
Our most pressing need on this team was to stop the run and get to the QB. Perhaps Pioli didn't address this because he didn't see the personnel in the draft to do it. Or maybe he will during FA. Or maybe he does it next draft. Or maybe he doesn't address this at all. Maybe he is hoping Crennel can raise the bar on our existing players. I don't know! All I know is that our defense was terrible last year and it needs to improve for us to compete...
I am not sold on Pioli/Haley yet - they are both new at their respective positions. But I am most definetely rooting for them to get our Chiefs to the next level...

I'm not referring to a healthy fair balance of positive and negative opinions, such as you personally hold, bike. Rather, the many continued posts of which read to have no positivity at all...doom, doom, doom.

The intention of my post was to simply bring to the forum some balance, as the scales in my opinion, appeared to be tipped, or tipping more in favor of negativity.

My personality is naturally one of which will always stand up for & defend the positive aspects of our Chiefs vs. the negative, especially when one sided debates occur. Besides, being negative just plain feels like crap, and being positive feels GREAT! I'd rather feel great than like crap, hahaha.

:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs:

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Absoluely none?

Not from my point of view, hahahaha.

:lol: :chiefs:

Bike
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm not referring to a healthy fair balance of positive and negative opinions, such as you personally hold, bike. Rather, the many continued posts of which read to have no positivity at all...doom, doom, doom.

The intention of my post was to simply bring to the forum some balance, as the scales in my opinion, appeared to be tipped, or tipping more in favor of negativity.

My personality is naturally one of which will always stand up for & defend the positive aspects of our Chiefs vs. the negative, especially when one sided debates occur. Besides, being negative just plain feels like crap, and being positive feels GREAT! I'd rather feel great than like crap, hahaha.

:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs:
I've only noticed myself, bswilliams, chief31, and maybe a couple others that had negative opinions concerning the draft. The overwhelming majority of folks here were actually quite pleased with the draft...

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I've only noticed myself, bswilliams, chief31, and maybe a couple others that had negative opinions concerning the draft. The overwhelming majority of folks here were actually quite pleased with the draft...

Honestly, besides my remembering bswilliams, figrostic (sp?)...I couldn't tell you who was posting negatively, but there were sure many negative comments one right after another it seemed to me. Apparently others felt so too, as some started threads countering the negativity...such as Vanilla & Aussie. I think there were many random member negative comments here & there since Thursday night.

bwilliams
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Honestly, besides my remembering bswilliams, figrostic (sp?)...I couldn't tell you who was posting negatively, but there were sure many negative comments one right after another it seemed to me. Apparently others felt so too, as some started threads countering the negativity...such as Vanilla & Aussie. I think there were many random member negative comments here & there since Thursday night.

Ahem. I was not negative until Friday evening. I was completely OK with Berry on Thursday (although I would have picked differently).

Connie Jo
04-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Ahem. I was not negative until Friday evening. I was completely OK with Berry on Thursday (although I would have picked differently).

Heck, I couldn't tell ya when your first negative comment was, hahaha. What I meant was...negative comments began following the selection of Berry Thursday night, not that you were the first. There were many members making negative comments, some more than others, such as yourself. Some I think may have only made one or two random negative comments here & there, then left, lol.

You didn't leave, you just keep coming back with more, hahaha. :D

Really, it's all good, I simply am doing what you're doing, only I'm on the opposite side of the scales...the positive side.

:efpge: :lol:

KristofLaw
04-25-2010, 09:48 PM
I think it's more a question of 1) not getting a preferred player whom one may have been familiar with; and 2) not getting known players on the board who really have just as many questions as those we did pick.

Many of the players we landed I did not see anyone here or other places project to the Chiefs... kinda suggests some level of unknown which is known to cause some level of discomfort. So to go with what has already been mentioned... don't forget we landed quite the coaching staff this off-season, everything will be okay I'm sure.

In my case, at least the 9ers landed Taylor Mayes and not some crap team like say SD or Denver... aside from who we picked up and Sam Bradford he was my main interest in this years draft. :D

chief31
04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I think it's more a question of 1) not getting a preferred player whom one may have been familiar with; and 2) not getting known players on the board who really have just as many questions as those we did pick.

Many of the players we landed I did not see anyone here or other places project to the Chiefs... kinda suggests some level of unknown which is known to cause some level of discomfort. So to go with what has already been mentioned... don't forget we landed quite the coaching staff this off-season, everything will be okay I'm sure.

In my case, at least the 9ers landed Taylor Mayes and not some crap team like say SD or Denver... aside from who we picked up and Sam Bradford he was my main interest in this years draft. :D

The 49ers had a very impressive draft.

AkChief49
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
The 49ers had a very impressive draft.
yep, they took two OL in the 1st. and Mays in the 2nd. I'd wager the 49ers are the NFC west champs this year.
Should be interesting to watch Mays against his old coach.

chief31
04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
yep, they took two OL in the 1st. and Mays in the 2nd. I'd wager the 49ers are the NFC west champs this year.
Should be interesting to watch Mays against his old coach.

Yeah. He was kinda salty at him for drafting another S when he could have had him.

They may come out slow, but by the end of the season, I expect that they will be looking awefully tough.

Connie Jo
04-26-2010, 12:05 AM

There were a handful here who felt the Chiefs would draft Berry, me included.

As I've said before, I know little about the Draft, as I don't follow the NCAA. I've learned some by reading discussions here at CC the 3 months leading up to the Draft. I do know about the NFL/Chiefs, including aspects related to the corporate business side of an NFL Franchise.

I did some research on the projected first round draftee's, combined that info with NFL/Chiefs knowledge...came to the conclusion Pioli would likely draft Berry. IMO, there is much more to Pioli's decision of Berry than his simply filling a needed position at Safety. In the mind of a GM...Berry made logical business sense too. I posted my theory as to why Pioli may draft Berry here at CC prior to the Draft, but many said it would never happen, regardless.

I think many fans were fixed firmly on who they felt the Chiefs needed to select based upon one problem area only...such as preventing QB sacks. Well, a good GM on the other hand must look at that problem, as well as, a broader range of problem areas, including related to the Chiefs being a business for profit & public relations.

Berry has a high potential to help solve many problem area's facing an NFL Franchise and GM, and quickly, that Okung & other's didn't have, rather they had potential to help solve fewer problems, and not as quickly, and other's can be found to fill those positions of equal talent...not so by comparison to Berry's potential talent.

Berry's predicted potential =

1) filling a needed position at Safety
2) contributing to more wins
3) making unhappy fans happy...Berry was a popular choice among fans...the crowd at Draft Day with excitement cheered loudly when Berry's name was announced = points in public relations = profit
4) selling tickets...as fans anticipate Berry being a playmaker during games = profit
5) NFL Star power = profit in merchandise sales & endorsements
6) High possiblity of becoming a Pro-Bowler = profit in many aspects

I hope all that made sense, as I'm pre-occupied with unrelated thoughts, haha.

70 chiefsfan70
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
There were a handful here who felt the Chiefs would draft Berry, me included.

As I've said before, I know little about the Draft, as I don't follow the NCAA. I've learned some by reading discussions here at CC the 3 months leading up to the Draft. I do know about the NFL/Chiefs, including aspects related to the corporate business side of an NFL Franchise.

I did some research on the projected first round draftee's, combined that info with NFL/Chiefs knowledge...came to the conclusion Pioli would likely draft Berry. IMO, there is much more to Pioli's decision of Berry than his simply filling a needed position at Safety. In the mind of a GM...Berry made logical business sense too. I posted my theory as to why Pioli may draft Berry here at CC prior to the Draft, but many said it would never happen, regardless.

I think many fans were fixed firmly on who they felt the Chiefs needed to select based upon one problem area only...such as preventing QB sacks. Well, a good GM on the other hand must look at that problem, as well as, a broader range of problem areas, including related to the Chiefs being a business for profit & public relations.

Berry has a high potential to help solve many problem area's facing an NFL Franchise and GM, and quickly, that Okung & other's didn't have, rather they had potential to help solve fewer problems, and not as quickly, and other's can be found to fill those positions of equal talent...not so by comparison to Berry's potential talent.

Berry's predicted potential =

1) filling a needed position at Safety
2) contributing to more wins
3) making unhappy fans happy...Berry was a popular choice among fans...the crowd at Draft Day with excitement cheered loudly when Berry's name was announced = points in public relations = profit
4) selling tickets...as fans anticipate Berry being a playmaker during games = profit
5) NFL Star power = profit in merchandise sales & endorsements
6) High possiblity of becoming a Pro-Bowler = profit in many aspects

I hope all that made sense, as I'm pre-occupied with unrelated thoughts, haha.

You said it very well!

He was my first choice as well,
I thought he was the best player for the money, with the least chance for BUST.:chiefs:

OPLookn
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll admit I was negative after seeing the picks on the 2nd day of the draft. Some of it was as mentioned previously picking guys that I didn't know. But some that I not heard of i.e. McCluster but picking them to early (by my thoughts).

I always hope that every player the Chiefs pick will be a pro bowl player. The other thing that wasn't mentioned but was a cause for me being upset was that to me we need LB'ers and we didn't address this with a higher round draft pick. Yes there's off season but lots of people (myself included) live in the now and I want instant gratification dangit!

buffman316
04-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I think we could lable this draft "the year of the playmakers draft." The first three picks were all playmakers who could make an immediate impact. I am also already excited about this upcoming season for sure. Just let me know when the Eric Berry jerseys are ready!

figcrostic
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Thomas Jones
Casey Wiegmann
Ryan Lija
Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Jon Asomoah
Tony Moeaki
Jerheme Urban

Our free agency was awesome, but the draft still sucks and we didn't address the NT position or our d-line really at all, but we did draft like 3 db's guess everyones getting the boot but flowers.

Canada
04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Our free agency was awesome, but the draft still sucks and we didn't address the NT position or our d-line really at all, but we did draft like 3 db's guess everyones getting the boot but flowers.

Were the available NTs better that Shaun Smith?

Hayvern
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
From one person who said Pioli was not going to pick Berry, I sit corrected. The reasons I did not think he would pick him are many and I think the problems with that pick are just beginning, but I hope Pioli is the kind of guy that I think he is at getting players to resign. If he is not, Berry will be with us for 3 or 4 years and then be gone because of his high salary requirements.

So, as far as me being wrong about Pioli never picking Berry. I was wrong, yep, I was wrong, let me say it again, I WAS WRONG!!! Didn't hear that, let me turn it up!!! I WAS WRONG!!!!

I know, I know, I am as shocked as you are about me being wrong, but don't let it be said that Hayvern never admits when he was wrong... Did I happen to say I WAS WRONG?

Geez, talking about nagging!

figcrostic
04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Were the available NTs better that Shaun Smith?
No love for Terrence Cody?

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Nicely put.

I would have preferred Okung to Berry, but I am not at all unhappy with our first pick selection. I think Berry is a solid pick.

figcrostic
04-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Nicely put.

I would have preferred Okung to Berry, but I am not at all unhappy with our first pick selection. I think Berry is a solid pick.

Keeply agree Okung would have solidified our line, the man is a beast.

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 02:32 PM
From one person who said Pioli was not going to pick Berry, I sit corrected. The reasons I did not think he would pick him are many and I think the problems with that pick are just beginning, but I hope Pioli is the kind of guy that I think he is at getting players to resign. If he is not, Berry will be with us for 3 or 4 years and then be gone because of his high salary requirements.

So, as far as me being wrong about Pioli never picking Berry. I was wrong, yep, I was wrong, let me say it again, I WAS WRONG!!! Didn't hear that, let me turn it up!!! I WAS WRONG!!!!

I know, I know, I am as shocked as you are about me being wrong, but don't let it be said that Hayvern never admits when he was wrong... Did I happen to say I WAS WRONG?

Geez, talking about nagging!

Ummmmmmmmm, did you say you were wrong; I didn't quite catch that. :D j/k

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Keeply agree Okung would have solidified our line, the man is a beast.

It would, in deed, have been nice to see.

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Hey CJ - it is a public forum after all. Its a place to express our opinions - some good, some not so good. We all want the same thing here - for our Chiefs to be a perrenial playoff contender and get to, and win, the superbowl!

Nicely put, both of you, I appreciate both your optimism and a healthy dose of scrutiny. It's what makes this forum function.

If you encounter a troll who does nothing more then take an opposing, disrespectful point of view for the sole purpose of eliciting an equal and opposite response; then I implore you to: "...not feed the trolls".

Thank you. :D

Canada
04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
No love for Terrence Cody?

Im honestly asking. Im not all that up to date on NCAA talent. I mostly get what I read here about guys. I did have some doubt about Cody because of his weight. I just think that Shaun Smith is a band aid until we get into next years draft where there are better options to upgrade the position. I think Pioli and staff are looking at the long term fix and that they decided to go get a better NT next year as opposed to getting the best of a bunch of average NTs. :bananen_smilies046:

josh1971
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Im honestly asking. Im not all that up to date on NCAA talent. I mostly get what I read here about guys. I did have some doubt about Cody because of his weight. I just think that Shaun Smith is a band aid until we get into next years draft where there are better options to upgrade the position. I think Pioli and staff are looking at the long term fix and that they decided to go get a better NT next year as opposed to getting the best of a bunch of average NTs. :bananen_smilies046:

If Shaun Smith is a band-aid, then John Henderson would be a medicated field dressing applied by a medic. I hope we sign Henderson.

70 chiefsfan70
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I believe you are right.

endzonewillie
04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
If we get Hendersen the band aid will come off and we will have new skin under that scab.

okikcfan
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Honestly, I was one of those who said Pioli would not pick Berry, and when Okung was on the board at #5 I thought for sure they would pick him. I am not at all disapppointed that they picked Berry, I was just a little suprised. I too was wrong......I just hope at this point in time that things go very well with Henderson and they tell us that he has been signed by Thursday!!!!

CapitalT
04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
We had a very good draft in terms of overall talent.

In my opinion though, if the OL is noticeably improved over last year, then I think when can call the draft of 2010 a success. If OL isn't better than last year then, I'm not impressed at all in this year's draft.

70 chiefsfan70
04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
We had a very good draft in terms of overall talent.

In my opinion though, if the OL is noticeably improved over last year, then I think when can call the draft of 2010 a success. If OL isn't better than last year then, I'm not impressed at all in this year's draft.

I think our OL will be better then last year, But Cassel getting sacked so much does NOT mean we had a bad OL. When he was in New England he was the league's most sacked as well and they had a very good OL, Also they had very good Wr's.

Last year our biggest problem (after they got rid of crybaby walking back) was Cassel not getting rid of the ball. Maybe bad play calling too.

Sure our OL didn't pick up many blitzes and they are not the best in the league, but they are not that bad either.

The QB has to take control of the offense and get the ball to the recievers,and of course they need to CATCH THE BALL.

Thats where McCluster comes in at...speed and good hands! He WILL make the QB, OL, and running game better. :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

matthewschiefs
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I think our OL will be better then last year, But Cassel getting sacked so much does NOT mean we had a bad OL. When he was in New England he was the league's most sacked as well and they had a very good OL, Also they had very good Wr's.

Last year our biggest problem (after they got rid of crybaby walking back) was Cassel not getting rid of the ball. Maybe bad play calling too.

Sure our OL didn't pick up many blitzes and they are not the best in the league, but they are not that bad either.

The QB has to take control of the offense and get the ball to the recievers,and of course they need to CATCH THE BALL.

Thats where McCluster comes in at...speed and good hands! He WILL make the QB, OL, and running game better. :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

Thats my biggest Concern with Cassle. I sat there time and time again yelling for him to throw the ball away. He took a lot of sacks that he shouldn't have taken. Hopefuly the new coaching staff can get him out of that habbit. Thats the only thing that I think is holding Cassle back from being a very good qb.

70 chiefsfan70
04-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Thats my biggest Concern with Cassle. I sat there time and time again yelling for him to throw the ball away. He took a lot of sacks that he shouldn't have taken. Hopefuly the new coaching staff can get him out of that habbit. Thats the only thing that I think is holding Cassle back from being a very good qb.

I do believe he will be better this year, new coaching will help along with getting used to the WR's and also better WR's . The running game will be better and I think teams will be less likely to blitz will the McCluster affect. Cassel should have his best year yet.

CapitalT
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I can't agree with you. Having one of the highest sack ratings in the league does mean our OL is bad.

From what I saw last year, most of the time our receivers couldn't even get 20 yards down field before Cassel had to throw. Sometimes less. I'm sure he Cassel could get rid of the ball faster but that was not the reason for all those sacks.

Canada
04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I can't agree with you. Having one of the highest sack ratings in the league does mean our OL is bad.

From what I saw last year, most of the time our receivers couldn't even get 20 yards down field before Cassel had to throw. Sometimes less. I'm sure he Cassel could get rid of the ball faster but that was not the reason for all those sacks.

what does it mean when you have a 1000 yd RB in 8 games?

CapitalT
04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
That's not a bad point. Certainly if we can come anywhere close to this next season the passing game should open up.

But if we're running well then the number of sacks should fall too ... right? I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong about this.

Bike
04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
It means there is a possibility of 2000 yds in 16 games...

matthewschiefs
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM

I don't think that anyone was saying that our O line did not struggle last season. But there were sometimes that they did there job an Cassle did not get rid of the football. I think the statement was more saying that Cassle needs to improve on that not that the O line was good.

endzonewillie
04-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't think that anyone was saying that our O line did not struggle last season. But there were sometimes that they did there job an Cassle did not get rid of the football. I think the statement was more saying that Cassle needs to improve on that not that the O line was good.
Keep in mind that there will be times when the Oline will be superb and Cassell will have no place to throw the ball. That would mean the coverage is doing their job. It is better Matt not throw an INT than force a ball where it shouldn't go. With all of our weapons aquired in the draft and in FA as well as UDFA Cassell should have someone to throw the ball to.

Bike
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Keep in mind that there will be times when the Oline will be superb and Cassell will have no place to throw the ball. That would mean the coverage is doing their job. It is better Matt not throw an INT than force a ball where it shouldn't go. With all of our weapons aquired in the draft and in FA as well as UDFA Cassell should have someone to throw the ball to.
I think by just adding Charlie Weis Cassel and the rest of the offense is MUCH better than last year...

endzonewillie
04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I think by just adding Charlie Weis Cassel and the rest of the offense is MUCH better than last year...
Absolutely couldn't agree with you more. Our offense sputtered at times last year because we had no organization and that will cause bad things to happen. Weis will be the biggest upgrade the team has made for the offense then add in the players being added. Me and my son (Richie 15) did as much research on the players we could find and we created them in Madden 10 and I realize that can't be used for a real look but if the real Chiefs is anything like the Madden team I can't wait to see this start. The defense also is very stiff .

tornadospotter
04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
It means there is a possibility of 2000 yds in 16 games...
If the shoulder popping out can be controlled? That is going to make a short career for JC. I hope that this is not going to happen, I assume that is why we have done some FA signings, JC will not last long. Because of that issue of his shoulder, makes me wonder about longevity, I think he will be the starter at the season opener, but do not know about the last game of the season. I hope he is!

endzonewillie
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
If the shoulder popping out can be controlled? That is going to make a short career for JC. I hope that this is not going to happen, I assume that is why we have done some FA signings, JC will not last long. Because of that issue of his shoulder, makes me wonder about longevity, I think he will be the starter at the season opener, but do not know about the last game of the season. I hope he is!
With JC's speed he should try not to take guys head on. If he has a chance to pick up his yards then step out of bounds it would be in his and the teams best interest. Sure it's always cool to watch 2 players blast into each other but JC is not that type of back.There has been a great many players who have disloacated their shoulder yet still had extraordinary careers. The one that comes to mind without doing research is Emmitt Smith. He disloacted his shoulder against the Giants if I am not mistaken and not only did Emmitt finish that game injured he also went on to pass Walter Payton for the most rushing yards by any NFL rb ever. JC is that same kind of player.

Bike
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Absolutely couldn't agree with you more. Our offense sputtered at times last year because we had no organization and that will cause bad things to happen. Weis will be the biggest upgrade the team has made for the offense then add in the players being added. Me and my son (Richie 15) did as much research on the players we could find and we created them in Madden 10 and I realize that can't be used for a real look but if the real Chiefs is anything like the Madden team I can't wait to see this start. The defense also is very stiff .
Well, adding Crennel to our D was a huge upgrade from last year also. We improved our team dramatically from last year by adding these two coordinators. However, the backbone of a 3-4 is the NT. I guess we couldn't get what we wanted in the draft - and it needs to be fixed. Also Vrabel isn't getting ant younger, and not sure he has the speed required to get to the QB. And Studebaker may be an adequate backup and a special teamer - but really doesn't instill a lot of fear in opposing offenses. I'm not as concerned at ILB as some here, as I think Williams and DJ can flourish under Crennel...
So my major concerns come down to this:
On defense - LOLB and NT
On offense - Cassel

Cassel has the tools he needs to succeed now. Some may argue the OL is still in shambles - but we are making strides. Cassel now has a proven OC, a pro-bowl RB, a new pounder in Thomas Jones, a young, fast slot reciever to complement Bowe and Chambers, and a new TE with good hands. Its a make or break year for Cassel as I see it...

Bike
04-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Yes. Hence - Thomas Jones.

matthewschiefs
04-28-2010, 01:10 AM

Thats when you move outside the pocket in throw the ball into the stands. It won't be a sack or on INT. There were times last season that Matt took a sack when there was enough time to do that. A sack will end drives most times. Hes just got to learn sometimes its better to throw the ball away then to take a sack.

Hayvern
04-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Thats when you move outside the pocket in throw the ball into the stands. It won't be a sack or on INT. There were times last season that Matt took a sack when there was enough time to do that. A sack will end drives most times. Hes just got to learn sometimes its better to throw the ball away then to take a sack.

Lets not forget that just because he has been in the league for awhile, he is still a pretty green quarterback. Those types of things only come with experience.

I have every reason to believe he will get there.

endzonewillie
04-29-2010, 12:54 AM
That is true , lets just hope that if he gets happy feet because he has pressure he doesn't actually start doing that every time he feels a lil pressure and makes it a habit throwing the ball to the fans . At times that can save the drive but at other times it is a drive killer. Just depends on the situation I guess.

NWA Chief
04-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Couple of thoughts:
People will be surprised how may carries Thomas Jones will get. In a couple of games, I'm seeing 20 carries and around 10 touches/game besides those couple.

McCluster will struggle at first, but eventually will get adjusted and become a contributor.

We're pretty old at OL, gonna need to draft another G or C because our OL is freakin' old. If we're not careful, we could lose half our OL and be like we were when Roaf, Shields, and Weigman left a couple of years ago.

Love our Secondary, wonder how Page does this year because if it's bad he may be out quick. Unfortunately I think Legget will have a hard time making the team. I wanted us to look at Ken Hamlin in the backfield and we still have a chance.

Just because Crennel is our DC, don't expect dramatic statistical changes. It will take time and our D didn't change much.

After my whining, I'd like to say I'm excited to see what happens. Looks like we will have to outscore teams to win this year. No less than 8-8 for expectations.