PDA

View Full Version : Big John Henderson

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.2010-super-bowl.com/Jacksonville_Jaguars/john-henderson.jpgJohn Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today.

the giants tried to get him in for a visit, but Pioli beat them to it. His first stop in free agency is Kansas City tomorrow, Tuesday April 27th.

Henderson, who is a massive 6'7" and 345 pounds, will be 31 when camp starts, but he could easily be the stop-gap we need on the defensive line until we can draft and develop a nose tackle.

If he clears his physical and we sign him, then I am saying this offseason is an unequivocal success. Young, intelligent, high-character leaders, and solid, proven vets.

man oh man this would take all of the sting out of not drafting a big ugly to help the run defense. I mean, i would just be pleased as punch.

Hayvern
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
John Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today.

the giants tried to get him in for a visit, but Pioli beat them to it. His first stop in free agency is Kansas City tomorrow, Tuesday April 27th.

Henderson, who is a massive 6'7" and 345 pounds, will be 31 when camp starts, but he could easily be the stop-gap we need on the defensive line until we can draft and develop a nose tackle.

If he clears his physical and we sign him, then I am saying this offseason is an unequivocal success. Young, intelligent, high-character leaders, and solid, proven vets.

man oh man this would take all of the sting out of not drafting a big ugly to help the run defense. I mean, i would just be pleased as punch.

Wow, that is incredible news. He is the kind of guy that we would need in the middle for sure. That would certainly change the complete look of this defense if we were to sign him.

The fact that Pioli jumped on him, I would expect a deal to be tendered. It would be hard not to pick a guy like that up considering what we need on this team.

whatwasthat?
04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
YouTube- John Henderson's pregame warmup

i like it

josh1971
04-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Holy crap! What a WALL! I'd be happy to sign him, provided he can pass physical, etc. Someone like this in the middle with Dorsey and TJ on the outsides.

And Gilberry. Must not forget the Gilberry...

whatwasthat?
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Holy crap! What a WALL! I'd be happy to sign him, provided he can pass physical, etc. Someone like this in the middle with Dorsey and TJ on the outsides.

and magee

Hayvern
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Really? We have a guy named Gilberry on our team?

wildcat
04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
This is what Pioli was waiting for. If we sign him, I am suddenly a lot happier with our draft.

Maybe some of us, myself included, temporarily forgot how Pioli filled needs when he was with the Pats. A lot of their holes were filled with vets that other teams let go.

texaschief
04-26-2010, 04:19 PM
If Pioli can land Henderson and Adalius Thomas, I'd feel like I could breathe again. Thomas may not have been what the Patriots wanted, but he's definitely what the Chiefs NEED.

josh1971
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Sure do :D And he was pretty good every time he was in there.

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
This would truly be an acquisition of epic proportions. :D

bwilliams
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
This would make me so happy. The Jags stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Chiefster
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM

May you never cease to be amazed. :D

buffman316
04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
I love the video of Henderson's pre game warm up. I just wish we had someone like that last year to run around and cuss out the defense like that. This pick up would literally be huge and then you are what....One position away (LB) from addressing all the needs?

whatwasthat?
04-26-2010, 04:57 PM

raider-like?

maybe theres a reason they might go to LA

rodu
04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
sign that man!!

70 chiefsfan70
04-26-2010, 05:14 PM
sign that man!!

Lets do it!

Makes me wonder if Pioli knew about this, by him passing on Big Cam.

OPLookn
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
If we can find one or two ILB's to compete for the starting job I'd be doing cartwheels for days. I'd say that adding Henderson we'd win a couple more games!

rodu
04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I want to come on here tomorrow and see that we signed us a man beast. Come on Piolloi, we have cap room, make the mountain an offer he can't refuse

chiefnut
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Thomas may be on the down slide but Henderson should still have a couple of good years left, we got Shaun Smith to spell him w/he gets winded and maybe learn from him. he would make a super addition.

hometeam
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Lets get it handled. Its worth a shot.

Coach
04-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Intial report was incorrect. His workout with the Chiefs is on Wednesday. We'll have to wait two more days at least.

He played as a DE in the Jags 3-4 formations last year. He was interviewed today by Nick Wright at 610 sports radio, when asked if he would be willing to play NT instead of DE, his response was that he'd be willing to play wherever coach asked him to play.

He would be a great addition to our NT rotation.

northwest
04-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I knew Pioli had something up his sleeve. CHIEFS CHIEFS

jap1
04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Intial report was incorrect. His workout with the Chiefs is on Wednesday. We'll have to wait two more days at least.

He played as a DE in the Jags 3-4 formations last year. He was interviewed today by Nick Wright at 610 sports radio, when asked if he would be willing to play NT instead of DE, his response was that he'd be willing to play wherever coach asked him to play.

He would be a great addition to our NT rotation.

He played DE in Jacksonville?!?! How big was their NT? Is Jax switching to a 4-3, and dont have a use for him, or do they want to go younger and cheaper?

If there are no big red flags (injuries, off-field issues that havent come to surface yet), I would hope we pick him up, and for a couple years, not just one. It would be good to have a big guy like that to teach the NT we draft next year how to be a beast.

jap1
04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
I knew Pioli had something up his sleeve. CHIEFS CHIEFS

A link to ESPN about Henderson:

Jacksonville Jaguars release former Pro Bowl defensive tackle John Henderson - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5136281)

It says that he had a few off-field issues that affected his play recently. They make it sound like personal problems, not getting in trouble with the law.

Also, it says they tried to trade him during the draft. Im guessing, that means they probably contacted Pioli, and Pioli turned them down knowing they would probably cut him after the draft and we could get him without giving up picks. If we sign him, Im going to count it in with the draft, and raise our grade to an A-/B+ (from a B-).

frazier1te
04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
If there are no big red flags (injuries, off-field issues that havent come to surface yet), I would hope we pick him up, and for a couple years, not just one. It would be good to have a big guy like that to teach the NT we draft next year how to be a beast.

For as long as I can remember, this guy has been an awesome force on the field, and you heard nothing bad about him off the field.

Get him!

bigpoppachief
04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I have tears in my eyes thinking about signing him and Adalius MAN our defense will suddenly be scary !

yashi
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Henderson is a freaking beast. At first I was thinking he's a bit too lanky to play the nose in a 3-4, but I'm sure his strength would make up for it, and he'd probably be a lot better than Smith or Edwards. Signing him would be huge.

Coach
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
For as long as I can remember, this guy has been an awesome force on the field, and you heard nothing bad about him off the field.

Get him!
Welcome back!

pantherfan
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Too tall and plays way too high to be a 3-4 NT...He would be a DE

jap1
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
I have tears in my eyes thinking about signing him and Adalius MAN our defense will suddenly be scary !

I dont have real high hopes for Adalius signing with us, but I can really see this guy coming here.

Coach
At first I was thinking he's a bit too lanky to play the nose in a 3-4, but I'm sure his strength would make up for it, and he'd probably be a lot better than Smith or Edwards.
I worry a little about that as well. He is listed at 6'7". Leverage may be an issue, but he is 345 lbs.

frazier1te
Welcome back!

Thanks!!!

:chiefs:

Coach
04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Too tall and plays way too high to be a 3-4 NT...He would be a DE

That's possible. I'm sure they will be looking for that in his workouts on Wedensday.

honda522
04-26-2010, 08:29 PM
This is why we didn't go after a NT

matthewschiefs
04-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I really hope that we are at least thinking about him. I think he would be a good help to this football team. Would not mind seeing him signed at all.

whatwasthat?
04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
He played DE in Jacksonville?!?! How big was their NT? Is Jax switching to a 4-3, and dont have a use for him, or do they want to go younger and cheaper?

the jags run a 4-3 but like many teams, run a few variations of the 3-4...he was a DT in the 4-3 but they ran him as a DE in the 3-4 formations

slc chief
04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
this would be a very solid pickup

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I really hope that we are at least thinking about him. I think he would be a good help to this football team. Would not mind seeing him signed at all.

he has a visit scheduled. chiefs first ones to work him out.

If he leaves without a contract, it's because romeo doesn't like him.

Chiefscrazy
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Henderson to visit Chiefs & Giants (Chiefs 1st on Wednesday) -

DT John Henderson Will Visit Chiefs and Giants (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/dt-john-henderson-will-visit-chiefs-and-giants/)

Quote: For Henderson, Kansas City is likely the more attractive option as New York is already stacked on the d-line, including Linval Joseph whom they drafted in the second-round of the draft on Friday.

The belief is that he could transition smoothly into the Chiefs 3-4 defense. He could stay at tackle or try to slim down and transition to defensive end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe we could rotate him in at all 3 DL spots, NT on running downs & LE or RE taking advantage of the best match-up on passing downs. This would improve our run D, while still using Big John at his biggest strength which is putting pressure on the passer.

A line of Dorsey, Henderson, Smith & Hali in our infrequent 4-3 looks should be effective as well. Could you imagine Dorsey & Smith in the middle, with Hali & Henderson getting after the QB from the end spots once in a while http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/04/122.jpg

As far as slimming down to play DE, that will happen naturally at Haley's fat camp, like it or not lol.

Please, wrap him up Pioli!!!

bbacker51
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree! :sign0151: :sign0151:

KCINNYC
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
If we sign him, I want apologies from all of the people who have been bashing Pioli and the draft.

Oh Ye of little faith!

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I do like the theory that Jacksonville was shopping Henderson during the draft, and therefore Pioli knew that he would be available, especially since the Jags drafted FOUR defensive linemen.

Still, if we DON'T land Henderson, then we are still looking at an unimproved run defense, which is not a good thing.

I love the players we got in the draft, but it's one of those things where the total might be less than the sum of the parts. If we had just gotten one big ugly on defense, I would be dancing down the street in my underpants.

As it stands, we absolutely must find a defender in free agency to help stop the gouging on first and second down.

Hayvern
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
If we sign him, I want apologies from all of the people who have been bashing Pioli and the draft.

Oh Ye of little faith!

You know what they say, you can want in one hand and...

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
That's not what they say at all.

"You know what they say...find a bird in a bush..."

hometeam
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Hahhaha horrible.

Seek
04-27-2010, 06:14 PM

LOL.. He lead the D-line last year in sacks.

Coach
04-27-2010, 07:32 PM
The waters are now muddied a bit on John Henderson. Jason LaConfora is now reporting that no visit is scheduled for tomorrow now.

So maybe the Giants have sweetened the offer to Henderson. Or Jason LaConfora is just flat wrong, wouldn't be the first time. We'll see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Bike
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
The waters are now muddied a bit on John Henderson. Jason LaConfora is now reporting that no visit is scheduled for tomorrow now.

So maybe the Giants have sweetened the offer to Henderson. Or Jason LaConfora is just flat wrong, wouldn't be the first time. We'll see what happens in the next 24 hours.
Interesting. If Pioli wanted the guy - If he thought Henderson was the answer at NT tackle for the next 2-3 years - he simply would have got him here and signed him.

rodu
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM

face desk

bwilliams
04-27-2010, 11:22 PM

Oh Ye of little faith!

And if we don't sign him? What should those *praising* the draft do?

endzonewillie
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Continue to praise the draft as one player or one position does not make or break a team. The letter I is not in the word team.

tornadospotter
04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Continue to praise the draft as one player or one position does not make or break a team. The letter I is not in the word team.
This is Truth.:11:

Bike
04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm not gonna praise the draft just yet. I'm from the Show-Me state.

endzonewillie
04-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm not gonna praise the draft just yet. I'm from the Show-Me state.
To each their own . I too am origanally from Missouri but I live in Arkansas now. The draft is a solid B as a grade. Just my opinion and if the players in this list:
Thomas Jones
Casey Wiegmann
Ryan Lija
Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Javier Arenas
Jon Asomoah
Tony Moeaki
Jerheme Urban
work out as planned I am very optimistic about how the team will play. I am now sure that Pioli knows we need to aquire a NT to stuff the run and he will work on signing one in FA. :chiefs:

BlackBerryManMan
04-28-2010, 01:17 AM
I would love to get Henderson. He would play DE here though, but I think Dorsey could make the adjustment to NT. Jackson-Dorsey-Henderson.

That makes our defense 10 times better. Jackson isn't a rookie anymore and this is the third which is usually the break out year for Doresy. Plus Crennel should do wonders for our DL.

Bike
04-28-2010, 01:25 AM
I would love to get Henderson. He would play DE here though, but I think Dorsey could make the adjustment to NT. Jackson-Dorsey-Henderson.

That makes our defense 10 times better. Jackson isn't a rookie anymore and this is the third which is usually the break out year for Doresy. Plus Crennel should do wonders for our DL.
Sorry dude, 295 pounds does not a NT make. At least 30 pounds light for that position...

BlackBerryManMan
04-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Sorry dude, 295 pounds does not a NT make. At least 30 pounds light for that position...

Tell that to the Dallas Pro Bowl NT. But anyways, that would make a better NT than someone whos 6'7. Also Dorsey was 320 just last year.. wont be hard to get back up to that. Dorsey is to short to be a DE, and we aren't running the hybrid again this year.. so he wont be lining up over the LG like he did last year if we do leave him at DE.

okikcfan
04-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Let's hope his was misinformed and Henderson is a Chiefs by wed. night....

Everest
04-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Let's hope his was misinformed and Henderson is a Chiefs by wed. night....

Nick Wright tweeted La Canfora awhile back and said:
"Contrary to the report you’re wrong"

josh1971
04-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Well, we'll see.

jtandcrew
04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
SIGN HIM! Along with Shaun Smith rotating in and out? That would be awesome! I dont care how tall he is! He is still a huge huge man! That will take up atleast 2 OL blockers easy! Maybe 3! Either way, Smith and Henderson would be an upgrade! I say sign him! :bananen_smilies046:

KCINNYC
04-28-2010, 11:29 AM

You know, all your posts, everyday, they are ALWAYS NEGATIVE.

bwilliams
04-28-2010, 12:11 PM
You know, all your posts, everyday, they are ALWAYS NEGATIVE.

No one's forcing you to read them.

diehardkcfan
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
has anyone heard anything else about hendersons visit? is he actually visiting KC or not?

yashi
04-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I read an update saying he was only going to speak with us on the phone, instead of visit now. So maybe he's more interested in another team. :(

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-28-2010, 01:13 PM

He weighs 335.

John Henderson Profile - Jacksonville Jaguars - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3537)

John Henderson (http://www.nfl.com/players/johnhenderson/profile?id=HEN076396)

PLEASE PEOPLE, STOP SAYING HE WEIGHS TOO LITTLE TO PLAY NOSE TACKLE.

Someone said he weighs 275. Jeez.

Now, if you want to say he's too TALL, that's a different story.

Canada
04-28-2010, 01:32 PM

He weighs 335.

John Henderson Profile - Jacksonville Jaguars - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3537)

John Henderson (http://www.nfl.com/players/johnhenderson/profile?id=HEN076396)

PLEASE PEOPLE, STOP SAYING HE WEIGHS TOO LITTLE TO PLAY NOSE TACKLE.

Someone said he weighs 275. Jeez.

Now, if you want to say he's too TALL, that's a different story.
I think he was talking about Dorsey!! but I could be wrong!! :bananen_smilies046:

yashi
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah I don't get where all this talk about Dorsey playing nose tackle is coming from. I've heard it on multiple sites, and apparently Herm said the other day that he thinks he can do it, which means he probably can not do it. :D

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
If that's true, then fine. Of course, Dorsey doesn't weight 295, either, but whatevs.

If they are indeed moving Dorsey to nose tackle, they will have him beef up. Personally, I think we are going to see more hybrid defense than traditional 3-4. we still don't have the personnel to run it properly.

rodu
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I would hesitate in moving Dorsey to NT, 3rd position in 3 years in the league

bwilliams
04-28-2010, 02:02 PM

It'd be crazy to move Dorsey to NT. Forget size. Dorsey just isn't strong enough. That isn't a knock on him. But his primary advantages are that he's a step faster and more athletic than the average DT. His primary disadvantages are that he's a bit small and lacks overwhelming power. You want him next to a big space eater so that he can get in the backfield and wreck havoc (Warren Sapp). You don't want him trying to win a trench war against 2-3 interior linemen (Wilfork).

Putting him at NT removes his advantages and puts on display his disadvantages. I'd rather move him to linebacker than NT.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
It'd be crazy to move Dorsey to NT. Forget size. Dorsey just isn't strong enough. That isn't a knock on him. But his primary advantages are that he's a step faster and more athletic than the average DT. His primary disadvantages are that he's a bit small and lacks overwhelming power. You want him next to a big space eater so that he can get in the backfield and wreck havoc (Warren Sapp). You don't want him trying to win a trench war against 2-3 interior linemen (Wilfork).

Putting him at NT removes his advantages and puts on display his disadvantages. I'd rather move him to linebacker than NT.

Whoa whoa whoa...yes, Dorsey's best asset is his speed and athleticism for a defensive tackle, but to say that he is "a bit small" and "lacks overwhelming power" is kind of stretching the truth.

Dorsey consistently blasted through double teams his senior year. His strength was never a concern.

I'm not sold on Dorsey as a nose tackle, but it isn't because he doesn't have the ability. I just think you leave some of his skills on the table if you use him to occupy blockers.

bwilliams
04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...yes, Dorsey's best asset is his speed and athleticism for a defensive tackle, but to say that he is "a bit small" and "lacks overwhelming power" is kind of stretching the truth.

Dorsey consistently blasted through double teams his senior year. His strength was never a concern.

I'm not sold on Dorsey as a nose tackle, but it isn't because he doesn't have the ability. I just think you leave some of his skills on the table if you use him to occupy blockers.

Dorsey routinely blasted through double teams against smaller college lines until he got hurt. But he hasn't been able to do that at all in the NFL. He still has difficulty one-on-one against NFL offensive linemen in the run game. I don't blame him for this, as this isn't what he was drafted to do, and it isn't where his strengths lie.

Again, I'm not knocking him. A few years of conditioning might get him there, but you'll lose some of his speed and athleticism as he puts on muscle. But I want him to be the smallest member of our DL, not the lynchpin against run offenses.

matthewschiefs
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Thats never good on a player. I think if we leave him were he is he will be a much better player for the Chiefs this year. He showed his value there when he missed the game against the browns and our already bad Run d was even worse. I say leave him were he is at least this year and see how much he improves.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Thats never good on a player. I think if we leave him were he is he will be a much better player for the Chiefs this year. He showed his value there when he missed the game against the browns and our already bad Run d was even worse. I say leave him were he is at least this year and see how much he improves.

If would agree. And, actually, it would be his FOURTH position in FOUR years.

His DT role was different when he got to KC from LSU.

whatwasthat?
04-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Dorsey routinely blasted through double teams against smaller college lines until he got hurt. But he hasn't been able to do that at all in the NFL. He still has difficulty one-on-one against NFL offensive linemen in the run game. I don't blame him for this, as this isn't what he was drafted to do, and it isn't where his strengths lie.

Again, I'm not knocking him. A few years of conditioning might get him there, but you'll lose some of his speed and athleticism as he puts on muscle. But I want him to be the smallest member of our DL, not the lynchpin against run offenses.

dorsey was one of the few positive parts of our run defense last season

yashi
04-28-2010, 02:54 PM
The only thing that makes me curious as to what would happen if Dorsey tried NT is from the success of Jay Ratliff playing NT for the Cowboys. He's 6'4" 303 and more of a penetrator than a run-stopper, just like Dorsey.

bwilliams
04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
dorsey was one of the few positive parts of our run defense last season

We were ranked 31st against the run for most of the season. I agree that without Dorsey we'd have been 32nd. Remember that abysmal Browns game where he was absent (better yet, don't)?

But that isn't really saying he was good. Even before our DL gave up 351 against the Browns, we were routinely giving up 150-200 yards a game with Dorsey in the lineup. He improved off of 2008, and I expect him to improve further in 2010. But teams never showed any fear of running right at him, and he was constanly blocked by two linemen because out NT struck fear in the hearts of no one.

chief31
04-28-2010, 04:28 PM
The letter I is not in the word team.

But the letter 'I' is at the heart of the word 'win'. :D

kylebigmac09
04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
More people saying (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/4/28/1449202/kansas-city-star-confirms) no visit now.

yashi
04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Honestly, it wasn't a great fit anyways. Henderson being 6'7" plays way too high to be an ideal 3-4 nose. He'd be great as a 3-4 DE, but that would mean possibly trading Dorsey or making him a rotational player. Do we really want to make such a drastic move to accommodate a 31 year old player?

Diesel
04-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Are you kidding? Our geniuses were already talking about playing Dorsey more at NT (mistake imo) but whatever. If they want to I would sure as hell much rather see a 3 man front of Henderson Dorsey and Jackson than half the other stiffs we have on our team. No matter how you shake up the lineup Henderson would be a HUGE upgrade for us. On the field and in the lockerroom. We have PLENTY of money to spend and he's an absolute no brainer signing imo. A gift that the KC brass would regret refusing imo.

jap1
04-29-2010, 05:58 PM
:sign0178:

Any news on the John Henderson front?

matthewschiefs
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM

None that I no of. I think that we would have signed him by now if we were going to. I hope that I am wrong but I think he is going eleswere.

whatwasthat?
04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
i cant remember where i saw it but i saw some report that indicated to me that the giants might have stolen him out from under us...maybe offered him an overpriced deal

KristofLaw
04-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Here's another link regarding the Giants and John Henderson:

Giants eyeing ex-Jag DT Henderson »
By Ralph Vacchiano (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/04/giants-eyeing-ex-jag-dt-hender.html)

Despite using their first two draft picks last week to bolster their defensive line, the Giants don’t appear to be done just yet.

They have “kicked the tires” on former Pro Bowl defensive tackle John Henderson, according to an NFL source, and could have some interest in signing him if the price is right. Henderson, according to his agent, was officially released by the Jacksonville Jaguars today.

Read more: TheBlueScreen - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/04/giants-eyeing-ex-jag-dt-hender.html#ixzz0mXMrPrHc)

It's from the 26th but still shows to me that the battle to attain his rights appears to be between us and the Giants. I assume he'd have a much better chance at starting and making a large impact here in KC but the Giants reputation as of late is higher. That and maybe the NY life-style or money, who knows. If it's money I think we should throw a little more his way?!?

BUMP :D

GlennBree
04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Hell Yea!!! THAT would be a great addition!!! ")

Coach
04-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Nothing new to report. Rumored interest by the Browns and the Giants.

He hasn't visited yet, that doesn't mean that he won't.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
While the Giants may be more of a premium market, I honestly think having Crennel as your DC would be a big asset to our recruiting free agents.

In NY, you still have to battle dallas, philly, and now washington. You play well in KC, and you're primed for a playoff berth.

matthewschiefs
04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Nothing new to report. Rumored interest by the Browns and the Giants.

He hasn't visited yet, that doesn't mean that he won't.

I would love to see that he is going to visit KC. But the longer it goes the more i doubt that its going to happen.

drstandley31
05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
"John Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today."

I don't mean to pi$$ in the punch bowl guys, but he was "Released" for some reason. Now, maybe they're real good up front and need the salary room, although, it's not a cap year as I understand it. I'd like to know more about why he was released before I throw the party. However, I do want to throw a party.

Chief Tyler
05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Pros are released and become productive on new teams all the time. Kurt Warner bounced around before having one of the best seasons in a hall of fame career. Weigmann made a a Pro Bowl when we let him go to the Donks, and just look what happened to the Texans D when he signed with them.

For whatever reason, Jacksonville drafted DL this year, there wasn't a long term spot for him, so they cut him lose. If he fits a system, then by all means bring him in. Pro Bowl talent doesn't just get thrown at your doorstep.

Coach
05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Pros are released and become productive on new teams all the time. Kurt Warner bounced around before having one of the best seasons in a hall of fame career. Weigmann made a a Pro Bowl when we let him go to the Donks, and just look what happened to the Texans D when he signed with them.

For whatever reason, Jacksonville drafted DL this year, there wasn't a long term spot for him, so they cut him lose. If he fits a system, then by all means bring him in. Pro Bowl talent doesn't just get thrown at your doorstep.

Not sure why he was cut. My guess is that he wasn't a good fit for their scheme. His frame doesn't really fit a 3-4 DL scheme.

bwilliams
05-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Not sure why he was cut. My guess is that he wasn't a good fit for their scheme. His frame doesn't really fit a 3-4 DL scheme.

The Jags run a 4-3, I'm pretty sure.

The reason he was cut is because the Jags are losing tens of millions of dollars, and Henderson was scheduled to make $5.65M this season. Why do you think they drafted Alualu (DT) in the 1st and Smith (DT) in the 2nd? It was a pure cost cutting draft and FA for the Jags, nothing more.

The Jags will have to be contracted or moved in the next few years. The city's just too small and apathetic towards football to support a franchise.

Hayvern
05-03-2010, 12:27 AM
The Jags run a 4-3, I'm pretty sure.

The reason he was cut is because the Jags are losing tens of millions of dollars, and Henderson was scheduled to make $5.65M this season. Why do you think they drafted Alualu (DT) in the 1st and Smith (DT) in the 2nd? It was a pure cost cutting draft and FA for the Jags, nothing more.

The Jags will have to be contracted or moved in the next few years. The city's just too small and apathetic towards football to support a franchise.

Agreed, I expect them to move westward in the next couple of years. They really want to get a team here in Los Angeles and there have been some talk about the Jaguars or the Bills.

Right now though, it is tough as there is really no stadium suitable for a NFL team here. They would have to build one, and the cost of such a ventura in this day and age is no small matter.

bwilliams
05-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Agreed, I expect them to move westward in the next couple of years. They really want to get a team here in Los Angeles and there have been some talk about the Jaguars or the Bills.

Right now though, it is tough as there is really no stadium suitable for a NFL team here. They would have to build one, and the cost of such a ventura in this day and age is no small matter.

Good thoughts and I know everyone says LA. But I don't think the Jags get moved there. One, they'd probably need to re-align the divisions as LA is about 2,000 miles from Indy, Nashville, or Houston. Second, as you said, there's no arena. Third, Al Davis would love another bite at the lawsuit apple, and he could tie the thing up for years. Fourth, the Rams left LA for a reason - they just aren't big football fans there.

Now, where could they go? I suggest San Antonio, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City. All are medium size cities that have proven they can handle pro sports (well, not in Little Rock's case). All are big football states/cities. You wouldn't need to re-align divisions. Makes most sense to me.

jap1
05-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Good thoughts and I know everyone says LA. But I don't think the Jags get moved there. One, they'd probably need to re-align the divisions as LA is about 2,000 miles from Indy, Nashville, or Houston. Second, as you said, there's no arena. Third, Al Davis would love another bite at the lawsuit apple, and he could tie the thing up for years. Fourth, the Rams left LA for a reason - they just aren't big football fans there.

Now, where could they go? I suggest San Antonio, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City. All are medium size cities that have proven they can handle pro sports (well, not in Little Rock's case). All are big football states/cities. You wouldn't need to re-align divisions. Makes most sense to me.

I agree with that logic, and although it would be a huge headache logistically to move a team to SoCal, the NFL really wants a team back here because of the marketing potential. Yeah, SoCal has the most fickle sports fans, but there is a huge media market. I also disagree that we arent huge football fans in SoCal. Go to any bar or restaurant on a Sunday and it will be packed with people watching the Chargeless and the Faiders. College football has also become huge lately to fill in the lack of a local pro team. Plus, we definitely love us some professional sports as we have two teams from every major sports league except football (Angels, Dodgers, Ducks, Kings, Clippers, Lakers, Galaxy).

Also, the televison market here is what the NFL wants to get back into. I believe the last commish (maybe the current one) said that LA would get the next team (either a move or expansion), but I cannot remember the source.

They dont currently have a stadium, but have all the plans in place, and approved already. They are just waiting for a team to pull the trigger:
Stadium on Los Angeles Stadium (http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/stadium)

Hayvern
05-03-2010, 04:07 AM

SoCal fans are a fickle bunch to be sure, but you also have to remember, when the Rams left, they had two teams in LA. Sorry, but there is not enough people in LA to support two NFL teams. As fate would have it, the Rams were allowed to leave thinking that the Raiders would be staying. Al Davis then within a couple of weeks, moved the Raiders north. When the city tried to stop it, he sued.

hometeam
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh there is enough people in LA to support two teams.. LA has 20x the people KC does.

It just that LA people dont like football enough. There is too much other crap to do (or they are too busy trying to be somebody~)

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh there is enough people in LA to support two teams.. LA has 20x the people KC does.

It just that LA people dont like football enough. There is too much other crap to do (or they are too busy trying to be somebody~)

Sorry - you're wrong.

Lots and lots and lots of people in LA love the NFL. The reason why a specific team doesn't work is because there are so many transplants.

go to a bar on a Sunday morning, and there are Eagles, Steelers, Browns, Seahawks, giants, Jets, Saints, Chargers, Cardinals jerseys. Not to mention to requisite raiders.

My thought is this. Just play 17 games in LA. If they brought every team into Los Angeles for one week, that stadium would always sell out. I think that is how you start to build up the fan base, introducing the game to a lot of the immigrant population who otherwise is disinterested.

okikcfan
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
When I lived in SoCal and the Rams and the Raiders where still there, The Raiders draw a not so friendly crowd. The location of the LAC was in a not so good part of town. The last game @ LAC I went to there we fights, people attacked and a ton of unfriendly drunks and sore losers. I never returned to another game there after that.

okikcfan
05-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Also, it got so bad they baned drinking all together. No beer from start to finish....

Hayvern
05-04-2010, 01:43 AM
When I lived in SoCal and the Rams and the Raiders where still there, The Raiders draw a not so friendly crowd. The location of the LAC was in a not so good part of town. The last game @ LAC I went to there we fights, people attacked and a ton of unfriendly drunks and sore losers. I never returned to another game there after that.

Yeah, LA has some of the worse fans outside of New York and Philadelphia. They are just plain nasty.

The Dodgers games are not as bad as the Raiders games, but they are bad enough that I do not buy tickets for the cheap seats anymore. You take your life in your own hands if you go in the cheap seats sporting other team's jerseys. Again, not as bad as it was at Raiderss games, but it is bad enough.

I don't get it though, KC and St. Louis fans are so classy compared to the idiots out here.

jap1
05-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah, LA has some of the worse fans outside of New York and Philadelphia. They are just plain nasty.

The Dodgers games are not as bad as the Raiders games, but they are bad enough that I do not buy tickets for the cheap seats anymore. You take your life in your own hands if you go in the cheap seats sporting other team's jerseys. Again, not as bad as it was at Raiderss games, but it is bad enough.

I don't get it though, KC and St. Louis fans are so classy compared to the idiots out here.

I am not so sure it is the locals so much as it is the crowd that the Raiders attract. I almost got my butt kicked when I went to Oakland to watch a Faider v Chiefs game. I wasnt even wearing red and gold, or cheering for the Chiefs. I was wearing grey and just keeping to myself. I was threatened because I wasnt cheering loud enough for the Raiders!

San Diego fans are pretty tame when they arent playing the Raiders.

okikcfan
05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
It does have alot to do with whom the Faiders attract, There biggest fans are crips, bloods & Family (The Gang, Family) but again thats when they were in LA. I grew up in Inglewood in the 70's, back then the crips had most of the control because they were the biggest.

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I am not so sure it is the locals so much as it is the crowd that the Raiders attract. I almost got my butt kicked when I went to Oakland to watch a Faider v Chiefs game. I wasnt even wearing red and gold, or cheering for the Chiefs. I was wearing grey and just keeping to myself. I was threatened because I wasnt cheering loud enough for the Raiders!

San Diego fans are pretty tame when they arent playing the Raiders.

San Diego fans are great, in my experience. We saw the Chiefs playing the Chargers (the day Priest got injured), and everyone there was ribbing us in a very good-natured way. A couple fans even gave us some BBQ and beers out in the parking lot.

Hayvern
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
It does have alot to do with whom the Faiders attract, There biggest fans are crips, bloods & Family (The Gang, Family) but again thats when they were in LA. I grew up in Inglewood in the 70's, back then the crips had most of the control because they were the biggest.

Maybe, but that does not equate to the problems at Dodgers' stadium. It is bad there as well. The Dodgers organization is really working hard to clean it up. There are not too many other stadiums around the league with these problem.

Of course, San Francisco gets ugly when the Dodgers come to town and Chicago and St Louis are always ready to throw down when they get togehter, but it seems like places such as Philadelphia, Boston, LA and New York or openly hostile to anyone that comes into those stadiums.

Of course I am talking baseball here, I have never been to a football game other than in KC.

KCINNYC
05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I love how this thread turned from Jon Henderson into a dialouge about California fans.

Chiefster
05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I love how this thread turned from Jon Henderson into a dialouge about California fans.

Threads tend to take on a life of their own.

KCINNYC
05-04-2010, 04:46 PM

I totally agree. I think it is great. I wasn't being sarcastic.:chiefs:

Chiefster
05-05-2010, 01:46 AM
I totally agree. I think it is great. I wasn't being sarcastic.:chiefs:

You and I are in total agreement my friend! :D

tornadospotter
05-05-2010, 04:01 AM
YouTube- "It's Alive!!!"

:D

Hayvern
05-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Post some news about Henderson and get it back on target.

:ninerssuck:

Chiefster
05-05-2010, 04:10 AM
YouTube- "It's Alive!!!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c)

:lol:

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Post some news about Henderson and get it back on target.

:ninerssuck:

He wasn't complaining, he was serious. read the whole thread before posting!

Hayvern
05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
He wasn't complaining, he was serious. read the whole thread before posting!

I did read the whole thread, in fact I was involved in this thread when it was talking about Henderson, and yes it took a new turn with the discussion of California fans. It apparently is starting to take another turn again now. Do we really want to go here?

:meow:

Chiefster
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I did read the whole thread, in fact I was involved in this thread when it was talking about Henderson, and yes it took a new turn with the discussion of California fans. It apparently is starting to take another turn again now. Do we really want to go here?

Answer: "NO!" :bananen_smilies046:

Canada
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Id like to see it but I think internet fighting is funny!!

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-05-2010, 06:21 PM

i was joking, hence the smiley face.

Hayvern
05-06-2010, 04:56 AM
i was joking, hence the smiley face.

Of course you were, as was I, I just like using that question "Do you really want to go there?"

And Canada, we don't need anything outta you either!

:efpge:

Hayvern
05-06-2010, 05:03 AM
An interesting thing about big John is that he has not signed with anyone yet. It makes one wonder who exactly decided that a visit was not needed.

I am guessing that the guy wants a lot of money. Considering that he was due a lot of money from the Jags, makes one wonder exactly what he is asking for. Even the Giants have not signed him and the speculation was that he was cancelling a visit to KC because he got a better offer there.

I have no doubt he will land a team before the season starts, but my guess is that he is going to hold out and try and get as much money as he can.

Seek
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
An interesting thing about big John is that he has not signed with anyone yet. It makes one wonder who exactly decided that a visit was not needed.

I am guessing that the guy wants a lot of money. Considering that he was due a lot of money from the Jags, makes one wonder exactly what he is asking for. Even the Giants have not signed him and the speculation was that he was cancelling a visit to KC because he got a better offer there.

I have no doubt he will land a team before the season starts, but my guess is that he is going to hold out and try and get as much money as he can.

I had heard he was having back problems as and needed to lose some weight to remedy that issue.

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-06-2010, 01:26 PM
I had heard he was having back problems as and needed to lose some weight to remedy that issue.

I was wondering if maybe he realized that there were a lot of teams interested, and why not take some time off? do you really want to sign with a team and try to go do all their offseason workouts?

If he waits two months, he can skip all the "voluntary" crap and hang out on a beach in thailand.

But that's really interesting, maybe he wouldn't have passed the physical, and he didn't want to have that looming over him.

I heard Keith Bullock say that he didn't want to talk to ANY teams until May, when he was over his injury. He told his agent that he didn't even want to know who was calling about him.

Man oh man, if he's healthy, I'd love to bring him in. Just a tackling machine. I know he's getting older, but he would be so perfect for this defense this year.

henderson/bullock - my new "dream list" for the offseason.

matthewschiefs
05-06-2010, 01:35 PM
If he is just needing to drop weight to help his back then I hope we are in the running. If there is a real injury there I dont no. He is getting older in NFL age and will take more time to recover from injuries. It would be nice to see him brought in to help the defense. But since its been so long i dont think that its going to happen.

okikcfan
05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
So I'm guessing the new news on Henderson is there is no news and we are guessing as to why he did or did not have a date to visit KC and if he did or did not want too much money or he does or does not have a back problem because he did or didn't put on some extra pounds or not? Wait....I'm confused....What was the question again, was there a question, who were we talking about? lol

Hayvern
05-06-2010, 04:17 PM
So I'm guessing the new news on Henderson is there is no news and we are guessing as to why he did or did not have a date to visit KC and if he did or did not want too much money or he does or does not have a back problem because he did or didn't put on some extra pounds or not? Wait....I'm confused....What was the question again, was there a question, who were we talking about? lol

We are talking about SoCal sports fans. Welcome to the conversation.

Diesel
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
pfft...they were talking about his "bad back" when he came out of Tenn as a rookie. We should have already signed the guy.

ralphy boy
05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
We have nothing to lose. Sign him NOW!

It does make you wonder if there is something more to his back issues since Jax went out and drafted two guys to replace him in the first two rounds.

okikcfan
05-11-2010, 05:15 AM

Word is he wants too much money and until he decides to come down on his price, it looks like no one will take him at this time...

matthewschiefs
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Word is he wants too much money and until he decides to come down on his price, it looks like no one will take him at this time...

Its got to be that or some injury that people think is going to realy hold him back. I can belive that if he was healty and willing to sign for a decent price that he would still be out there.

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Maybe he was going to come in for a visit, and his agent called and said "don't bother seeing us unless you're offering Haynesworth money."

It happens. What is amazing to me about negotiations is how often the agent speaks on the client's "behalf." I have personally heard deals get killed because the agent wouldn't budge on a hard number, and he never talked to the client. Granted, this was an actor not an athlete, but still.