PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs vs Bengals

Chiefster
09-07-2006, 08:14 AM
It's the season opener, and our beloved Chiefs are at home against an obviously improved Cincy team. I say our revamp "O" line shows up for work and LJ pounds it down their throats in a hard fought slug fest of smash mouth football. I think what will be noticeably different in this game will be the much improved play of the Chiefs over-all "D". This will be the year that they climb out of the cellar.

What say you Chiefs and Bengals fans; sound off!
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

09-07-2006, 08:47 AM
On the Bengals site we have heard repeatedly about the improved kansas city defense, but no one backs up the claim with facts. I understand that you have added Law and have a rookie starting, why do the kc fans on our site seem convinced that will make all of the difference on how good your D is?

What they neglect is the fact that the Bengals have also worked hard to upgrade their D for this year. We get our starting safety back after a season ending shoulder injury early last year (Williams), Adams, a pro bowl player who is a true run stuffer, and another good safety who has been the SB MVP in Jackson. Plus changes in 6 other positions.

I'm looking for opinion, based on realistic facts, regarding whether the kc D will be able to contain the #2 QB in the league, a 1400 yard rusher, the O Line that gave up the 2nd least amount of sacks last year and returns intact, as well as what several NFL "experts" regard as the best receiving corps in football.

I don't expect the Bengals D to stop LJ, but beyond him, how does kc fare in a shootout>

Chiefster
09-07-2006, 09:43 AM
3777 wrote:
On the Bengals site we have heard repeatedly about the improved kansas city defense, but no one backs up the claim with facts. I understand that you have added Law and have a rookie starting, why do the kc fans on our site seem convinced that will make all of the difference on how good your D is?

What they neglect is the fact that the Bengals have also worked hard to upgrade their D for this year. We get our starting safety back after a season ending shoulder injury early last year (Williams), Adams, a pro bowl player who is a true run stuffer, and another good safety who has been the SB MVP in Jackson. Plus changes in 6 other positions.

I'm looking for opinion, based on realistic facts, regarding whether the kc D will be able to contain the #2 QB in the league, a 1400 yard rusher, the O Line that gave up the 2nd least amount of sacks last year and returns intact, as well as what several NFL "experts" regard as the best receiving corps in football.

I don't expect the Bengals D to stop LJ, but beyond him, how does kc fare in a shootout>

Welcome to the Crowd!

Allen and Mitchell continue to excel and get better.

Allen: http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/allen_jared_nfl_stats.pdf

Mitchell: http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/kawika_mitchell/

Sims is on the bench and no longer will we be strapped with his half hearted mediocre effort.

I think you may also be discounting just how difficult it's going to be to come into Arrowhead on the season opener with arguably the loudest Fan base in the NFL.

These are just a few examples of why we are feeling better about our defense. Now, will that translate into a strong showing against your Bangels? We will see Sunday.

kenny1937
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
In the ArrowHead jungle our defense Bengal Hunters will cause the QB to nervously dodge the Bengal Tiger Traps set all over the Jungle called ArrowHead Sunday.
GO CHIEF'S!

chief31
09-07-2006, 12:39 PM
There are no facts to this defense. this is a new defense. Complete with new players, new coaching and a new scheme.The facts will be coming in weekly from here on out.

The Chiefs will be depending upon creative blitzing, stunts and the occaisional "mano y mano" pass rushing attacks. And, we all know, that pressure on the quarterback will be a necessity against the Bengals.

Pressure on Carson Palmer is alot to ask, considering the O-line talent boasted by the Bengals. Jared Allen will have his work cut out for him when engaged with Levi Jones. And Tamba Hali will need his ever-running motor in high gear, to get around Willie Anderson. Each of those matchups will be a tough one for the Chiefs.

When blitzing, with man-to-man coverage, the Chiefs will be dependent upon Ty Law and Patrick Surtain to carry the workload. Two of the top coverage guys in the league. However, Nobody can single cover Chad Johnson and T.J. Howsyervanilla, play after play. Therefore, blitzing will need to be used with creativity and selectiveness.

The Bengals could wind up shooting themselves in the foot. If Marvin Lewis is overly protective of Palmer, by keeping backs and tight-ends back in passprotection, then he may wind-up digging himself in a long third down hole. Without the short passes to those position players, one could find themselves in third and ten more often than expected.

The Chiefs won't, realistically, expect to stop the Bengals' offense. They will hope to slow them down, shorten their passing attack, cause some turnovers and keep them off of the field. If they succeed in all of these things, then they will have stopped the Bengals' offense. But, if they succeed in some of these things, or all of them to a lesser degree, they will have given themselves a great chance of winning the game. After all, that is why they play.

"You play......to win............the game."

That, however, is only one side of the ball. Here, let me quote you........

"I don't expect the Bengals D to stop LJ, but beyond him, how does kc fare in a shootout>"

I find it difficult to believe, that anyone could ask that question. Let alone, a Bengals fan. I understand that the Bengals didn't play all of their starters throughout the game, but a 37-3 loss, in the fanal game of the season, should catch your eye. The Chiefs finished five spots ahead of the Bengals in total offensive production last season.(that would be FIRST place) They finished just 11 yards behind the Begals in Passing yards. 11 yard.

Please, let me take you "beyond L.J." Maybe, you have heard of a guy by the name of Tony Gonzales. No, no, no, I know that you have heard of him. There is a very good reason that everyone has heard of him too.There is too much that could be said about Tony, and you've heard it all before anyway.But I'm not certain wht could cause you to forget about him.

Trent Green is, miraculously, one of the best kept secrets in the N.F.L. Nobody throws a prettier pass, nor any more accurate, than does Trent Green. This would include Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning. And, Trent doesn't have a Chad Johnson, nor a Marvin Harrison, to throw to. He doesn't even have a Reggie Wayne, nor a T.J. Housayourmomma.(sorry, love that commercial.)

The offensive line, that has been highly critcized throughout the preseason,(mostly by myself) Can still make claim to the best interior O-line in all of the N.F.L.with Brian Waters, Casey wiegmann and Will Shields.(no comparisons will be considered.) And while Willie Roaf has, officially retired, nobody is more capable of filling that spot, than Kyle Turley. While looking a bit rusty through the preseason, Kyle Turley is as skilled an offensive tackle as there is in the league. On the other side....If anyone is capable of winning the right tackle job away from Kevin Sampsom, then he is plenty of O.K. with me. Kevin Sampson would start at left tackle for a few different teams.

As an added bonus, the Chiefs finished ahead of the Bengals in total points allowed last season. Six spots ahead, as a matter of fact.Betcha didn't know that one, ehh?

I don't expect a "smashmouth" game here. I think it will be a slight shootout, with the winner being the team that can cause a turnover or two. My prediction?
24-23 (yes, I am a Homer.) Kansas City!!!!!

Chiefster
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Ummm, yeah that's what I ment to say; all except for:

chief31 wrote:
...I don't expect a "smashmouth" game here. I think it will be a slight shootout, with the winner being the team that can cause a turnover or two. My prediction?
24-23 (yes, I am a Homer.) Kansas City!!!!!

I think Herm is gonna run LJ's legs off; early and often.

drunkenben
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Expect a much different Bengal defense this time. They only have 3 of the guys playing on d that you saw last time not so long ago.
Add Sam Adams, add Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson to hit repeatedly and hit hard your Johnson and your Green. We also were missing our other safety last time Madieu Williams.
This is the name that will make you all say damn!! He's Domato Peko, a rookie DL from Mich St. Wait and see, he's the guy with the long hair. Green'll know him, he's coming from where Roaf used to be

As far as the Bengals offense, you all should know what you're up against. It'll be a much different story. Prepare for a shootout. After we pick six green you might have to abandon the run a little.

:-(

Do you think Green throwing a INT for a TD would silence the crowd a little bit? We only need a crack.

:pint:

kenny1937
09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
drunkenben wrote:
Do you think Green throwing a INT for a TD would silence the crowd a little bit? We only need a crack.

Do you think Palmer throwing a int for a TD will cause the sound barrier to break over ArrowHead? It won't be a crack, it will be a Earthquake that Swallows the Unfortunate Bengal Putty Tat. GO CHIEF'S!

Chiefster
09-07-2006, 02:46 PM
kenny1937 wrote:
drunkenben wrote:

Do you think Palmer throwing a int for a TD will cause the sound barrier to break over ArrowHead? It won't be a crack, it will be a Earthquake that Swallows the Unfortunate Bengal Putty Tat. GO CHIEF'S!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

K-dude; throwin down some smack! :-x

09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
It should be a great game. The noise level generated by almost 80,000 die hard, knowledgable fans, is hard to quanitfy, but the weapons on the Bengals offense are numerous. I'm primarily concerned about Gonzalez and LJ of course, but I do think the Bengals have made sufficient improvement on their D to be an average NFL defense this year instead of the doormat they were in the past.

I also have to give kc props for Trent Green. Nice articles today in the Cincinnati Enquirer concerning Green's relationship with Carson Palmer and how encouraging he has been. Nice to know that there are some true class acts out there like Green.

Here's to a great game on Sunday (with the Bengals winning of course!)

Chiefster
09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
3777 wrote:
It should be a great game. The noise level generated by almost 80,000 die hard, knowledgable fans, is hard to quanitfy, but the weapons on the Bengals offense are numerous. I'm primarily concerned about Gonzalez and LJ of course, but I do think the Bengals have made sufficient improvement on their D to be an average NFL defense this year instead of the doormat they were in the past.

I also have to give kc props for Trent Green. Nice articles today in the Cincinnati Enquirer concerning Green's relationship with Carson Palmer and how encouraging he has been. Nice to know that there are some true class acts out there like Green.

I think it's going to be a tough one; and yes, one cannot rule out the off-season acquisitions that both teams have made. As always it will come down to who wants it more. I'm giving an edge to the Chiefs simply for the fact that it's the season opener and we're at home.

09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Nice analysis and response, even down to the sarcasm. In another post I recognize Gonzales, although I have to admit to having spelled his name incorrectly. The problem with shootouts though, regardless of last year's game, is needing a variety of weapons. You named 3. The stats for those 3 speak for themselves, but what about the wideouts that you don't mention by name? Your concern should be that the Bengals bring the #2 passer, a 1400 yard running back, and 3 wide outs that could start for any team in the NFL. In the preseason game, the Bengals did not play conservative football with Palmer. They tried all of the routs that a vanilla preseason game plan includes, plus Palmer scrambling and even running 11 yards for a first down. Don't look for them to try to baby Palmer. At the same time, that 1400 yard back, playing behind one of the top 5 lines in the NFL is there to even it out.

Both teams have good offenses, but until the effect of Roaf's retirement and the state of your o line is demonstrated, I look for the chief's d to have a very long day.

All in all it should be an exciting and great game. Here is to a hard fought game with no injuries and the best team winning!

Chiefster
09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
3777 wrote:
...All in all it should be an exciting and great game. Here is to a hard fought game with no injuries and the best team winning!

Agreed! :pint: :-D

chief31
09-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Generally speaking, having six new starters isn't a good thing for a defense.I didn' see the names Rod Woodson, or Ray Lewis in that bunch.

Speaking of Ray........why don't you ask Ray what it is like delivering a hit to L.J. Oh wait, that would be recieving a hit from Will Shields. You don't just run up and lay one on L.J. First you try to squeek past the dominant pulling linemen, then you absorb the hit from L.J. The Bengals' defense,Much like ours here in K.C.,hasn't exactly struck fear into the hearts of opposing offenses.

I'll grant that the Bengals'DB's had a knack for the INT last season, but wich of them had more than Ty Law?

prough91
09-07-2006, 08:15 PM
That's right. Hit L.J. Piss him off. That's what I'd do.

Chiefster
09-08-2006, 12:36 AM
prough91 wrote:
That's right. Hit L.J. Piss him off. That's what I'd do.

Sounds like a plan to me. :-D

Guru
09-08-2006, 02:05 AM
3777 wrote:

I thought that was downright awesome of Trent to do that.

Chiefster
09-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Guru wrote:

3777 wrote:

Link???

09-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I have to admit to being a novice on message boards. I'm not sure how to link it, but it was in the Cincinnati Enquirer sports section for 9/7/06. I know that you can read the Enquirer on line, but I don't know whether the story would be in the on-line version or not.

They were rightfully very complimentary to Green, and Palmer indicated that it meant a lot to him. Even more telling of the class that Green has, it was Green who apparently reached out to Palmer.

Just 2 more days until the fun begins.

Chiefster wrote:

Guru wrote:

3777 wrote:

Link???

Chiefster
09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
[quote]
3777 wrote:
I have to admit to being a novice on message boards. I'm not sure how to link it...

No worries; usually a simple copy and paste do the trick. :-D

It is great to hear a story like this; rather then some TO hoopla. What exactly are the circumstances???

09-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but this should give you the story. Hat's off to the man!

"Chief's Green Has Walked in Palmer's Brace"

The American Century Championship celebrity golf tournament in South Lake Tahoe, Nev., afforded Trent Green time enough to do more than squeeze in a few offseason rounds.

The Chiefs quarterback took the mid-July event as a chance to pull Carson Palmer aside and share some insight with the Bengals quarterback about coming back from reconstructive knee surgery.

"We had a chance to talk a little bit about what training camp was going to be like for him, what the preseason games were going to be like ... with linemen falling around your feet and knees and all of the sudden with a knee brace on," Green said. "Just a lot of the mental stuff that goes on."

An injury similar to the one Palmer suffered in the AFC wild-card playoff game in January cost Green the entire 1999 season and his starting job with the Rams and ultimately led him in 2001 to Kansas City, where he since has flourished.

The two-time Pro Bowl invitee picked up the phone upon learning the extent of Palmer's injury.

"He called me a lot," Palmer said. "He always had some helpful insight. ... Just encouraged me to keep working hard. That nobody can set limits on your rehab. Nobody is going to tell you when you're ready. You're going to be ready when you're ready and work as hard as you physically can and try to get to that date."

The date is Sunday.

Eight months to the day since Dr. Lonnie Paulos repaired tears of the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in Palmer's knee, the 26-year-old will start the season opener against the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium. He started the Bengals' final two preseason games and played a total of six offensive series.

Green, 36, will make his 81st consecutive and 100th career start.

"I think physically if you look at what he's been able to do, that's pretty much been settled," he said of Palmer. "I don't think anybody has any doubt from a physical standpoint that he's going to be fine."

That Green reached out to Palmer does not surprise Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards.

"Trent's that kind of guy," Edwards said. "He went through that same deal when he got injured with that bad injury with the Rams, and he came off it and came here and has had a very productive career here."

A St. Louis native, Green had signed a four-year, $16.5 million contract after establishing himself as Washington's starter during the 1998 season and was breezing through the 1999 preseason with the Rams when then-Chargers safety Rodney Harrison crashed into his left knee.

Green tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments and lateral meniscus. His backup, Kurt Warner, emerged as the NFL's regular-season MVP by leading the Rams to a 13-3 record and was the MVP of a Super Bowl win.

Green had reconstructive surgery - doctors used a patellar tendon graft to fix the torn ACL rather than a cadaver's tendon, as was used in Palmer's knee - and two follow-up procedures on the injured knee. He returned to practice less than 10 months later but had lost the starting job to Warner by then. He played in eight games in the 2000 season.

"I wanted to get back so fast that it ultimately probably hurt me in the rehab process," Green said. "I wasn't real patient with it."

He underwent a fourth procedure, on a cyst that had developed behind his left knee because of repeated swelling, after that season.

"Carson hasn't had any of that," Green said. "Any time you can come back from that type of surgery and not have to deal with a lot of swelling and setbacks, that's a real positive thing. I think by that happening that alleviates the chance of him having to go back in.

"Now, because it is such a major process, at some point in time, whether it be later in his career, whether it be two, five, seven, 10 years down the road or when he's out of football, more likely than not he's going to have to have another procedure just because of the clean-up factor."

The Rams traded Green and a fifth-round draft pick to Kansas City on April 20, 2001 for a first-round pick. Sunday marks the beginning of his sixth season with the Chiefs and 13th overall.

During his five seasons with Kansas City, Green has 44 regular-season wins and passed for 20,117 yards - second-most in the NFL during that span - with 111 touchdowns and 76 interceptions.

His efforts off the field impress Palmer just as much.

"It's something that has kind of stuck with me, knowing that I went through that situation and knowing that he and a couple other guys helped me out," Palmer said of Green's assistance. "It made me realize I need to be doing the same thing for other guys that get hurt."

Chiefster
09-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes I believe that's it; thanks. It's great to read a story like this were QB's of opposing teams find the time to treat one another with that kind of respect off the field.
;-)