PDA

View Full Version : How many positions do you think we're set at?

bwilliams
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't mean just for 2010. I mean, assuming we stay pat for the rest of this offseason (and assuming no freak injuries), what positions can we rest easy about for the next few years?

I think we're set at:

RB (Charles/Jones should be a great 1-2 punch)
FB (Cox is fine)
2WR (Bowe/Chambers both count, and both will be fine for the next 2-3 years, but we need a legitimate 1WR)
LOLB (Hali is great)
LDE (Jackson should keep maturing)
RDE (ditto for Dorsey)
FS (Berry, obviously)
LCB (Flowers is a top-10 CB)

I think Albert is a keeper, but who knows if he's the long-term solution at LT. Cassel may be a long-term solution, but I wouldn't be my life on that. Page eems to be on his way out, Weigman is a one-year stop-gap, Carr is probably getting replaces, and I just don't trust Lilja. Our draft picks (other than Berry) probably will be aorund a while, but it's hard to judge exactly the positions they'll play or how good they'll be until camp.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Iwould easily add right guard with Asamoah. At this point, if we are assuming we are set at free safety, we have to assume we are set at center and right guard. Asamoah was highly productive and has zero durability or work ethic issues.

Wiegmann, Lilja, and Asamoah can back up both of them.

I would also say punter, kicker, and PR/KR.

bwilliams
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Iwould easily add right guard with Asamoah. At this point, if we are assuming we are set at free safety, we have to assume we are set at center and right guard. Asamoah was highly productive and has zero durability or work ethic issues.

Wiegmann, Lilja, and Asamoah can back up both of them.

I would also say punter, kicker, and PR/KR.

I didn't want to include Weigmann or Lilja, as I don't think either will be long-term starters, and I just can't figure out what position Asamoah will play. It wouldn't shock me at all, for example, if he were our opening day C.

I can't believe I forgot those last three.

whatwasthat?
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
jones is old so i dont think we are 'set' at running back, but its not a pressing need...

Bosco
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I think CB, RB, Saftey now, and some of the OL. Not WR tho i think bowe is great but not a true #1. I think the DL could still use some work. LB is the big need now inside and out.

Seek
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I think we are set at these positions.

Kicker - Succop
Punter - Colquitt
RB - Charles
G- Asomoah
OLB - Hali
CB - Flowers

That is it.... However There are questions out there that need to be answered and could drastically change that. I do think we can field a competitive team this year and have pieces in place to build around.

whatwasthat?
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
and i doubt carr is getting replaced

Seek
04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
and i doubt carr is getting replaced

If things don't improve. I think he will be replaced. He was thrown at often and sucessfully last year. He is a question mark for me.

bwilliams
04-29-2010, 01:17 PM
I think we are set at these positions.

Kicker - Succop
Punter - Colquitt
RB - Charles
G- Asomoah
OLB - Hali
CB - Flowers

That is it.... However There are questions out there that need to be answered and could drastically change that. I do think we can field a competitive team this year and have pieces in place to build around.

Not even Berry at FS? I mean, he's more certain than Asamoah at least.

complexrealmz
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Charles RB
Berry FS
Albert LT
Flowers CB
Hali OLB
Dorsey DE
Jackson DE
Asamoah G
Succop K
Colquitt P
Arenas/McCluster KR/PR

These are the players I am most confident will be major contributors and locks at their positions for years to come...

Cassel QB
Bowe WR
Page SS
Johnson LB
Carr CB
Williams LB
Moeaki TE

These are players that I see with good potential and possible (hopefully) set pieces for the near to mid future.. I think Demorrio Williams is our most slept on player, I think he has led our team in tackles two years in a row and plays with passion.. Im thinking Crennel is gonna get the best out of him..

That is almst 20 young players right there that all can help the chiefs re establish themself as a contender!!! September needs to hurry up..

Seek
04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Not even Berry at FS? I mean, he's more certain than Asamoah at least.

I didn't mean to leave him out. Yes, Berry would be there however, I do know know where they intend to play him. What if they try him at corner?

Is he for sure the FS or SS?

bwilliams
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I didn't mean to leave him out. Yes, Berry would be there however, I do know know where they intend to play him. What if they try him at corner?

Is he for sure the FS or SS?

I think there's a 0% chance he starts at corner, although he could conceiveably e moved there in some dime packages. My guess is FS, although there isn't that much difference between FS and SS in Crennel's defense.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Both kickers
rb with charles longterm jones short term
wr bowe hopefuly long term
cb with flowers
Fs berry
I think most can agree on these.

I also think we are good at QB for a while. I no there are some that are not sure on cassle yet but he showed me something last season. He was on a bad team and he never quit and did not have a horrible season. If you give him half the drops back his numbers would have been much better. So i think we are good at qb as well

captainamerica
04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I believe were absolutely set on Special Teams and now have one of the best special teams units in the league.
Punter: Colquitt
Kicker: Succup
KR/PR: McCluster/Javi
Special Teamer: Jon McGraw

matthewschiefs
04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I believe were absolutely set on Special Teams and now have one of the best special teams units in the league.
Punter: Colquitt
Kicker: Succup
KR/PR: McCluster/Javi
Special Teamer: Jon McGraw

Our special teams was the strongest part of the team last season. Outside of Josh Cribbs they were pretty solid in covering returns and our kicking game was the best it had been in years. Hopefuly thats something that can continue this upcomeing season.

whatwasthat?
04-29-2010, 06:16 PM
If things don't improve. I think he will be replaced. He was thrown at often and sucessfully last year. He is a question mark for me.

he is no flowers, but he is a starting corner in this league...he was constantly left on an island...he will improve with a better pass rush and better safety support

yashi
04-29-2010, 06:20 PM
RB - Charles, Jones for now.
WR2 - Bowe/Chambers both very solid WR2, but I agree a legit WR1 down the line would be nice.
WR3 - McCluster hopefully.
LG - Lilja eventually.
RG - Asamoah eventually.
ROLB - Hali
CB1 - Flowers
SS? - Berry (I assume Berry's long term position is in fact SS since we drafted Lewis).
K - Succop
P - Colquitt
KR/PR - Arenas

Albert has a position somewhere. I'm sure Jackson is a mainstay, but I want to see him play better.

KristofLaw
04-29-2010, 07:56 PM
he is no flowers, but he is a starting corner in this league...he was constantly left on an island...he will improve with a better pass rush and better safety support

But that's the point, on his own he did pretty bad last season. Maybe with maturity and proper coaching he can carry himself on his own. :bananen_smilies046:

jap1
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Our special teams was the strongest part of the team last season. Outside of Josh Cribbs they were pretty solid in covering returns and our kicking game was the best it had been in years. Hopefuly thats something that can continue this upcomeing season.

But our KR/PR teams were horrible. We were something like 25th and 27th in KR avg and PR avg. Hopefully with the new return men we got and some more talented depth (remember the blockers on special teams are made up of all the 2nd string guys) we should have a great special teams unit.

nychiefsfan58
04-29-2010, 08:34 PM
:chiefs:
I don't mean just for 2010. I mean, assuming we stay pat for the rest of this offseason (and assuming no freak injuries), what positions can we rest easy about for the next few years?

I think we're set at:

RB (Charles/Jones should be a great 1-2 punch)
FB (Cox is fine)
2WR (Bowe/Chambers both count, and both will be fine for the next 2-3 years, but we need a legitimate 1WR)
LOLB (Hali is great)
LDE (Jackson should keep maturing)
RDE (ditto for Dorsey)
FS (Berry, obviously)
LCB (Flowers is a top-10 CB)

I think Albert is a keeper, but who knows if he's the long-term solution at LT. Cassel may be a long-term solution, but I wouldn't be my life on that. Page eems to be on his way out, Weigman is a one-year stop-gap, Carr is probably getting replaces, and I just don't trust Lilja. Our draft picks (other than Berry) probably will be aorund a while, but it's hard to judge exactly the positions they'll play or how good they'll be until camp.

nychiefsfan58
04-29-2010, 08:35 PM
set @everything but star wr and center and ilb

honda522
04-29-2010, 10:21 PM
You can''t expect a anyone to cover for very long.

Chiefster
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
How many positions do you think we're set at?

Why, I'm happily married and I barely know you!!! :11: :lol:

endzonewillie
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Looking long term I don't think we are set at any position. I am trying to look at the picture for this and next weason only which would mean we need alot of players because it would be nice to think everyone on the team will not get hurt but we all know that won't happen. Teams lose players to injury every season and when that happens it always puts a wrench in the gear box. If I had to say we are set at one position of importance I would say it's at RB. We have some very fast and talented backs. I still feel we need a back up QB that can come in a compitantly handle the job and WIN games. At wr we are looking ok but lack a guy that can pull it down no matter what. Our defense looks much better than last years but even though we went out and aquired Smith at NT we need someone to eith back him or that he can back up. I would say our biggest need on D is at any position LB. We need a guy that can make that second level his domain. Things are looking better, with in 2 yrs we should be very close to the SB hunt.

Seek
05-01-2010, 04:27 PM
You can''t expect a anyone to cover for very long.

Based on how the Chiefs drafted, it appears they felt the secondary was the biggest weakness. I like the guy and want to give him another season with a different DC so more talent at safety and see what he does. If he improves the question mark is answered. Until then, he was the go to Corner for first downs and usually successfully.

I like Carr a bunch but I kind of forgot what a starting safety looked like. If Warfield was a quality starting safety then so is Carr, but the fact Warfield was unemployed after we let him go makes me think Chiefs fans forgot what a secondary should look like. Fact of the matter I forgot what a real defense looks like. In the play offs it just seems like the other teams defenses are just tons better and those are not the elite defensive teams.

yashi
05-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Our secondary is set up ridiculous. Think about this.

Flowers is completely capable of shutting down his man himself. That means the free safety can cheat over a bit towards Carr's way and blanket the other receiver. Arenas is a stud in the slot.

And the scariest part? If Berry is playing SS, he can be moved all over the field to screw with the opposing offense in every way.

The secondary is completely set. If we can get some run D, our defense is going to insanely good.

endzonewillie
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Our secondary is set up ridiculous. Think about this.

Flowers is completely capable of shutting down his man himself. That means the free safety can cheat over a bit towards Carr's way and blanket the other receiver. Arenas is a stud in the slot.

And the scariest part? If Berry is playing SS, he can be moved all over the field to screw with the opposing offense in every way.

The secondary is completely set. If we can get some run D, our defense is going to insanely good.
Just from things I have read and watched in video from his Tennessee years, Berry is known not only for being a Safety that can int the ball he is also known for reacting to the run quickly which means we have a surprise to all teams that think they will run it up the gut this year.

Bike
05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Just from things I have read and watched in video from his Tennessee years, Berry is known not only for being a Safety that can int the ball he is also known for reacting to the run quickly which means we have a surprise to all teams that think they will run it up the gut this year.

Well only if our three down linemen are able to move forward rather than being constantly shoved backwards as they were during our 31st ranked run stuffing jaugernaut of last year. And the future anchor of this line - our NT - well, still isn't on the team yet...

bwilliams
05-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Well only if our three down linemen are able to move forward rather than being constantly shoved backwards as they were during our 31st ranked run stuffing jaugernaut of last year. And the future anchor of this line - our NT - well, still isn't on the team yet...

Yeah, run defenses don't work the way he thinks they work. If we have Berry play close to the line of scrimmage, we'll have eight in the box and opposing defenses will play action us to death. We'll be giving up a dozen big passes every game.

Likewise, if Berry plays at a traditional safety spot where he can assist in covering WRs other than the slot receiver, he won't be getting a chance to assist in run defense until the ball carrier is seven-to eight yards down the field.

In short, if our front seven can't stop teams from running for 5-6 YPC, there isn't a whole lot Berry can do about it without our secondary being shredded.

DC_Chiefsfan
05-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't think we're giving Carr enough credit, he's a damn good corner even though we say he got picked on. Check out this article...

Kansas City Chiefs: Defense Analysis | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/387938-kansas-city-chiefs-defense-analysis?utm_source=newsletter)

Ryfo18
05-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I don't think we're giving Carr enough credit, he's a damn good corner even though we say he got picked on. Check out this article...

Kansas City Chiefs: Defense Analysis | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/387938-kansas-city-chiefs-defense-analysis?utm_source=newsletter)

I agree about Carr, but that article was depressing. Let's hope Romeo develops some schemes that do utilize the D's strengths.

Hayvern
05-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Yeah, run defenses don't work the way he thinks they work. If we have Berry play close to the line of scrimmage, we'll have eight in the box and opposing defenses will play action us to death. We'll be giving up a dozen big passes every game.

Likewise, if Berry plays at a traditional safety spot where he can assist in covering WRs other than the slot receiver, he won't be getting a chance to assist in run defense until the ball carrier is seven-to eight yards down the field.

In short, if our front seven can't stop teams from running for 5-6 YPC, there isn't a whole lot Berry can do about it without our secondary being shredded.

Which was exactly my point. in 2008 our safety, you know, the one we released outright, was the team leader in tackles. At least last year the team leader was a linebacker. That might have been because out safeties both sucked, but then again, it might have been that the linebacker spot started playing better.

Ultimately, we want those linebackers, or better yet, the defensive line stopping those runners!

yashi
05-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Which was exactly my point. in 2008 our safety, you know, the one we released outright, was the team leader in tackles. At least last year the team leader was a linebacker. That might have been because out safeties both sucked, but then again, it might have been that the linebacker spot started playing better.

Ultimately, we want those linebackers, or better yet, the defensive line stopping those runners!

You mean the same guy who led the team in tackles, but didn't have a single sack, interception, or forced fumble all season? I don't think Williams really played well. He made tackles, but linebackers need to make plays too. Tackling guys after constant 8 yard gains all day doesn't really make me feel all that confident in him.

Seek
05-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree about Carr, but that article was depressing. Let's hope Romeo develops some schemes that do utilize the D's strengths.

How are the ranked, because the last I had heard he was ranked as high as he was for the amount of time he played the amount of tackles he made.

Which meant he was thrown at alot and successfully and he then made the tackle.