PDA

View Full Version : Inside linebacker

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
This seems to be our biggest need at the moment, which is completely frustrating, considering we have derrick johnson at the position.

Still, regardless of what we think of Haley and his benching of DJ, the guy simply has never performed up to his talent level.

We might be able to find a solid player in free agency, but as of now, how do you view our main rotation?

Interesting sidenote: Demorrio Williams had 117 tackles last year. Normally, I would say "well, so what? If teams run the ball on us 40 times a game, SOMEONE has to tackle him. Numbers don't mean anything." EXCEPT that 95 of his tackles were solo.

that tells me the guy is a sure-tackler, which is it's own kind of asset. he is listed at 230, which seems undersized a bit for a 3-4 guy, but maybe he's the play-maker ILB. Would that mean that haley wanted DJ to be more of the thumper? Perhaps this was the friction - they wanted DJ, due to his size, to hold position and occupy blocks, but he wanted to use his athleticism to make plays.

I don't pretend to know the ins-and-outs of either the system or the haley/DJ friction, but this situation had sparked some theories for anyone else.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I dont no that its so much Haley DJ friction that it is that Haley was high on Demorrio. I rember a few of his press confrances last season that Haley would single Demorrio out as a guy that he was happy with. I think he did that more with Demorrio then anyone eles on the team. But if DJ can step it up and make haley play him as the starter I think that it would make us a better team.

70 chiefsfan70
04-29-2010, 03:14 PM
This seems to be our biggest need at the moment, which is completely frustrating, considering we have derrick johnson at the position.

Still, regardless of what we think of Haley and his benching of DJ, the guy simply has never performed up to his talent level.

We might be able to find a solid player in free agency, but as of now, how do you view our main rotation?

Interesting sidenote: Demorrio Williams had 117 tackles last year. Normally, I would say "well, so what? If teams run the ball on us 40 times a game, SOMEONE has to tackle him. Numbers don't mean anything." EXCEPT that 95 of his tackles were solo.

that tells me the guy is a sure-tackler, which is it's own kind of asset. he is listed at 230, which seems undersized a bit for a 3-4 guy, but maybe he's the play-maker ILB. Would that mean that haley wanted DJ to be more of the thumper? Perhaps this was the friction - they wanted DJ, due to his size, to hold position and occupy blocks, but he wanted to use his athleticism to make plays.

I don't pretend to know the ins-and-outs of either the system or the haley/DJ friction, but this situation had sparked some theories for anyone else.

Interesting..It could be.
I like both these guys, I didn't realize Williams had that many solos. I would like to see the chiefs add 1 more reliable ILB before season opener. These two seemed wore out towards the ends of the games.

Bosco
04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
well if they were not running by williams they were running by mays then. all DJ did was make plays when they put him in. But do think that the ILB is still a major need to fill.

pbatrucker
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Until DJ covers his assignments every play, he will always be in the dog house.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Interesting..It could be.
I like both these guys, I didn't realize Williams had that many solos. I would like to see the chiefs add 1 more reliable ILB before season opener. These two seemed wore out towards the ends of the games.

I think anther ILB would be good for the team. And if they don't bring someone eles in hopefuly the offense can stay on the field more and they wont be as worn down at the end of the season.

NWA Chief
04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm a big fan of Demorrio Williams....when he came to KC we still played a 4-3 and he was a backup. He showed up when Haley took the reigns.

With all of the ILB's in the draft, I'm EXTREMELY surprised we passed on Spikes, Sean Lee, Donald Butler, Pat Angerer, or A.J. Edds. I predicted KC getting one of these guys but I guess not.

I think Mays ended up playing because Haley didn't want to start DJ. I think he wasn't bad but an upgrade wouldn't have hurt.

jap1
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
well if they were not running by williams they were running by mays then. all DJ did was make plays when they put him in. But do think that the ILB is still a major need to fill.

Thats not entirely true. He also missed assignments a lot. Some scouts have reported that he takes a lot of plays off and freelances instead of doing his assignment. Apparently, he only tries hard when he feels like it.

The reason it seemed like he was always making a big play was because he realized that he was going to have to make a play to stay in the game, but when he was left in the game, he wasnt consistent.

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
With all of the ILB's in the draft, I'm EXTREMELY surprised we passed on Spikes, Sean Lee, Donald Butler, Pat Angerer, or A.J. Edds. I predicted KC getting one of these guys but I guess not.

I think these guys went a lot earlier than expected. Frankly, I thought most were drafted far too high.

yashi
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Don't be quick to assume that benching DJ was all Haley. There's a good chance it was a Pendergast move.

I think there's a good possibility that Crennel will be given full reigns on the defense, and since he seems to be really into giving a troubled player like Shaun Smith a shot at NT, he may have a lot of faith in someone like DJ as well. The fact that we didn't draft an ILB tells me that DJ has a future with this team.

Three7s
04-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah right, the guy screwed up his assignments all the time. Derrick "2 games a seasons" Johnson!

matthewschiefs
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Don't be quick to assume that benching DJ was all Haley. There's a good chance it was a Pendergast move.

I think there's a good possibility that Crennel will be given full reigns on the defense, and since he seems to be really into giving a troubled player like Shaun Smith a shot at NT, he may have a lot of faith in someone like DJ as well. The fact that we didn't draft an ILB tells me that DJ has a future with this team.

Crennel will probley help not only DJ but the whole defense. He has a much better track record then Pendergast so that will help.

I dont think Pendergast could bench A player unless Haley was all right with it. Haley was the Head Coach I think he was the big reason DJ was not starting.

Bike
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
This seems to be our biggest need at the moment
I think Crennel will get improvement out of both DJ and Williams. Our biggest needs remain at NT and LOLB imho...

Hayvern
04-30-2010, 03:09 PM
They seemed to use DJ a lot in situational downs. He was definately a playmaker, of the linebacker core this last year, he made the most big plays at the time they were most needed.

I will tell you this, I would rather see a linebacker with more tackles than a safety, so having Williams be the tackle leader means improvement over last season.

pbatrucker
04-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Michael Johnson ILB, North Alabama.
3rd or 4th rd talent that went undrafted because of were he played. From what I can find on him, he could be the proverbial diamond in the rough.

Coach
04-30-2010, 05:59 PM
DJ will be big this year. I can feel it in my bones. This is his year! Crennel will do more for this defense than any single player we've drafted/added.

Chiefster
05-01-2010, 01:33 AM
DJ will be big this year. I can feel it in my bones. This is his year! Crennel will do more for this defense than any single player we've drafted/added.

Feb. was his "commin out party". I believe, now more then ever, that he will play like he has something to prove; because he does IMO.