PDA

View Full Version : Jon Asamoah

Coach
04-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Found this link over at Arrowheadpride. This guy seems like a strong character guy.
Did you know all but one of the players we drafted this year were their colleges' Team Captain? Pioli is certainly looking for the "right" 53 along with some leadership.

Watch this video for background on Asamoah:
YouTube- IL's Jon Asamoah Feature

pbatrucker
04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Everything I've read about him is good. He doesn't do any one thing great, but does everything well. We will not hear his name called very much on game day. He should be a solid starter for many years.
Pioli has his profile for the players he wants and will not draft someone that does not fit that profile to fill a need. He has has his long range plan and it doesn't seem he will stray from that plan.
All this means is we will be contenders every year and will have a TEAM we can be proud of. Be patient, be positive, we will win another SB in a few years.

honda522
04-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Sounds like we might have stolen him.

bwilliams
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Question is, where does he fit in in 2010? Do we start him at RG ahead of Lilja? Ahead of Weigmann at C? Ahead of Waters at LG? Or just keep him on the bench?

My preference, if Asamoah looks even remotely startable, is to move Lilja to the bench and start Asamoah at RG. I just don't trust Lilja to open lanes or keep our QB clean.

yashi
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
As our likely RG for years to come, I think it's safe to say that he may be occupying a position where we as Chiefs fans are used to seeing a great player and person. I'm excited about Asamoah.

yashi
04-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Question is, where does he fit in in 2010? Do we start him at RG ahead of Lilja? Ahead of Weigmann at C? Ahead of Waters at LG? Or just keep him on the bench?

My preference, if Asamoah looks even remotely startable, is to move Lilja to the bench and start Asamoah at RG. I just don't trust Lilja to open lanes or keep our QB clean.

What I kind of foresee happening is that Asamoah will start the season on the bench, but in the event that either Waters or Lilja get hurt at some point, Asamoah will step in and we likely won't look back from there.

2011 and beyond, I see Waters being moved to C post-Wiegmann, with Lilja and Asamoah at their natural positions of LG and RG, respectively. This sets the interior offensive line for a while, and allows us to concentrate on reevaluating the tackle positions after 2010. If Albert struggles, he can be moved to RT and we can acquire a LT.

Once upon a time Waters was supposed to be Tim Grunhard's replacement, and then we signed Casey Wiegmann. How ironic that 10 years later he could be replacing Wiegmann.

Ryfo18
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Can't wait to see this guy dominate on the Oline! I've never been too fond of Illinois (fiance went there and she tends to rub Illini Pride in my face all the time) but I'll accept this guy!

SAPHOJUNKIE
04-30-2010, 12:03 PM
It's tough, because waters, wiegmann, and lilja all still produce. Lilja was just blocking for Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl, Wiegmann was playing in the pro-bowl, and Waters' play is still at a high, though not elite, level.

there is nothing wrong with having one of the best guards in the draft as your backup, though.

He'll be a starter by next year.

KCINNYC
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Great Thread Coach.
I am so thankful we are going after high character guys. It makes me hate the Raiders all the more, and that is a good thing. One can not hate the Raiders enough.

OPLookn
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Great Thread Coach.
I am so thankful we are going after high character guys. It makes me hate the Raiders all the more, and that is a good thing. One can not hate the Raiders enough.

You know you hate the Faiders when you'd find yourself rooting for Satan in a Satan vs. Faiders game. No...not a trick question because Faiders are to stupid to be Satan.

:lol:

Hayvern
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Weigmann is in no way a long term solution for this team. At 36, 37 by the start of the season, he will likely not play next season and retire is what I expect.

Moving Waters makes no sense, unless an older offensive lineman can play center better than a younger guy.

Asamoah, we all hope will be that guy. His knock is he is not as athletic as other players, but his big advantage is that he is supposedly very smart. I doubt you would see him as center though, but maybe. I honestly think that Niswanger will be the replacement at Center.

So where does that leave us? Well if Lilja is as good as his prior paycheck implied, when he will be with us for a number of years. I know a lot of people are hard on him, but I like him, why? Because he has experience, the guy has been to the Superbowl, he knows what it takes to get there. I want a guy like that on the team teaching Albert, Asamoah and the other young guys what it takes.

I still think the biggest issue we will be faced with this season is Right Tackle. and I am not convinced we have that taken care of. At SackIntosh is gone!

Coach
04-30-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm really happy to have this problem. Finally we can ask where do we put him. We have a little depth folks. Haven't had that in some time.
I agree with other poster about concern over RT. We'll see how that situation develops over the summer. Something tells me ocallahan will not be day1 starter at RT. Who knows tho.

Chiefster
05-01-2010, 01:30 AM
I am filled with a real sense of pride watching that vid, and I'm absolutely no relation at all. Talk about "Livin the dream!"