PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Experiment

Coach
05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
So a few weeks back I found a link to a website that gave away pre-sale codes for concerts. The pre-sales codes allow you to get access to premium seats at the various concerts before the tickets go onsale to the general public. So I did an experiment to see if I could make money buying those tickets and then scalping them on stubhub.com. Here are my results:
I purchased tickets to 5 shows that I thought would sell out:
Bon Jovi
Brad Paisley
Eagles w/dixie chicks and keith urban
Tom Petty
Kings of Leon

My total cash outlay for these tickets was $1040
My total inflow after StubHub fees was $1460
Net profit: $420
Time involved: 1-2 hours
Return on investment: 40%

I was successful in selling my tickets for every concert because I made sure they were very competitively priced. Most of these concerts don't take place till July and the tickets are already sold. I may have been able to get more out of them, but decided that it was more important to get my money back out of them versus demanding top dollar.
This business model seems scalable and I can completely understand why scalping is such a big business even if it's not for me.

Connie Jo
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
So a few weeks back I found a link to a website that gave away pre-sale codes for concerts. The pre-sales codes allow you to get access to premium seats at the various concerts before the tickets go onsale to the general public. So I did an experiment to see if I could make money buying those tickets and then scalping them on stubhub.com. Here are my results:
I purchased tickets to 5 shows that I thought would sell out:
Bon Jovi
Brad Paisley
Eagles w/dixie chicks and keith urban
Tom Petty
Kings of Leon

My total cash outlay for these tickets was $1040
My total inflow after StubHub fees was $1460
Net profit: $420
Time involved: 1-2 hours
Return on investment: 40%

I was successful in selling my tickets for every concert because I made sure they were very competitively priced. Most of these concerts don't take place till July and the tickets are already sold. I may have been able to get more out of them, but decided that it was more important to get my money back out of them versus demanding top dollar.
This business model seems scalable and I can completely understand why scalping is such a big business even if it's not for me.

Which Bon Jovi concert was it? One they're doing with Kid Rock this summer?

Chiefster
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow! You could have made many times more that amount.

tornadospotter
05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Interesting information, Coach. So with the profits you are buying a round of :canbeer:?

Connie Jo
05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow! You could have made many times more that amount.

Yeah, he most certainly could've, but I'm glad he didn't. :)

I couldn't do it, my conscience would eat away at me, hahaha. I know letting a conscience get to ya over scalping is likely silly, because the reality is the scalpers don't force any one to pay the amounts they're willing to pay...free enterprise, free will.

It's similar to blaming only the drug dealers, view the addicts as victims...well, those victims made/make the 'free will' choice to use drugs. The dealers wouldn't exist if the users didn't buy.

I've personally witnessed over the years many people who out of desperation, or realistically pure selfishness...will pay any price to acquire the best seats at a concert. In the meantime...they don't pay their bills, neglect their kids at times too, as a result of their 'music concert' and related partying addiction...and it is an addiction for many.

For me, music is a passion, and I would never put it above my kids, or any person's well being, including my own. Unfortunately it's not like that for all...for many it's not even about the music...it's about the environment, more about the sex & drugs than the Rock n Roll...sad to say. :(

honda522
05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
How many tickets per concert?

Coach
05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
How many tickets per concert?

2 tickets for every show except Bon Jovi where I did 4. I sold the Eagle/Dixie Chicks/Keith Urban tickets way too low. The show is at Soldier Field and I probably could have gotten double what I charged but I would have run the risk of getting stuck with the tickets.

Fun experiment, but I think I'll keep my day job.

Chiefster
05-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, he most certainly could've, but I'm glad he didn't. :)

I couldn't do it, my conscience would eat away at me, hahaha. I know letting a conscience get to ya over scalping is likely silly, because the reality is the scalpers don't force any one to pay the amounts they're willing to pay...free enterprise, free will.

It's similar to blaming only the drug dealers, view the addicts as victims...well, those victims made/make the 'free will' choice to use drugs. The dealers wouldn't exist if the users didn't buy.

I've personally witnessed over the years many people who out of desperation, or realistically pure selfishness...will pay any price to acquire the best seats at a concert. In the meantime...they don't pay their bills, neglect their kids at times too, as a result of their 'music concert' and related partying addiction...and it is an addiction for many.

For me, music is a passion, and I would never put it above my kids, or any person's well being, including my own. Unfortunately it's not like that for all...for many it's not even about the music...it's about the environment, more about the sex & drugs than the Rock n Roll...sad to say. :(

Same here kiddo; I'm way too much of a straight arrow. I can't walk out of the super market with one more cent in change then I should have.

tornadospotter
05-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Same here kiddo; I'm way too much of a straight arrow. I can't walk out of the super market with one more cent in change then I should have.
Dang rite you wouldn't, in the store I work in! Cause that is one less cent, I might that need that for a raise in pay.:D

Chiefster
05-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Dang rite you wouldn't, in the store I work in! Cause that is one less cent, I might that need that for a raise in pay.:D\

...And you sir where the very one I was thinking of when I made the above statement. We old geezers gotta stick together after all....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz.....What was I talking about???

tornadospotter
05-12-2010, 12:21 AM
...And you sir where the very one I was thinking of when I made the above statement. We old geezers gotta stick together after all....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz.....What was I talking about???
I forgot, wait, wait, I will think of it,,,,,, nope forgot.

But I want that penny, and a few hundred more per hour!

Chiefster
05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
I forgot, wait, wait, I will think of it,,,,,, nope forgot.

But I want that penny, and a few hundred more per hour!

Why back in the day we used to have half pennies we called them "Hey Pennies" which is what I used to call my first girl friend named Penny; I'd call at to her and say...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz...

Connie Jo
05-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Yep, haha. I have people tell me all the time I'm too honest, and even too old fashioned morally for my own good...but realistically how is that even possible?...especially if I can't sleep at night, haha.

Lord knows I'm not a saint, never will be...but I try to keep it between the lines as much as possible for my own benefit in the long run. When I do screw up, I usually don't realize it until later...didn't do it intentionally, hahaha. Trust me...the good Lord brings my screw ups to my attention fairly quickly too, hahaha. He doesn't let me get away with anything I'm tellin ya! HA! :D

Chiefster
05-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Yep, haha. I have people tell me all the time I'm too honest, and even too old fashioned morally for my own good...but realistically how is that even possible?...especially if I can't sleep at night, haha.

Lord knows I'm not a saint, never will be...but I try to keep it between the lines as much as possible for my own benefit in the long run. When I do screw up, I usually don't realize it until later...didn't do it intentionally, hahaha. Trust me...the good Lord brings my screw ups to my attention fairly quickly too, hahaha. He doesn't let me get away with anything I'm tellin ya! HA! :D

I read ya; I gotta be able to look at the reflection in the mirror myself.

jtandcrew
05-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Well, I might be in the minority here, but I would not have any trouble sleeping making a few extra dollars on selling tickets! After all, I have spent way to much to buy tickets to go to a sold out Chiefs game before. I have also gotten them for free also. Saying that? Its still a free market and if someone is willing to pay extra for a few tickets and me not go to the concert/game? Then why not make a few dollars on it? jmo

honda522
05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
2 tickets for every show except Bon Jovi where I did 4. I sold the Eagle/Dixie Chicks/Keith Urban tickets way too low. The show is at Soldier Field and I probably could have gotten double what I charged but I would have run the risk of getting stuck with the tickets.

You could always reduce the price.

hometeam
05-12-2010, 01:16 PM
OMG SCALPER

scalp us some superbowl tickets while your at it :P

tornadospotter
05-12-2010, 10:43 PM
OMG SCALPER

scalp us some superbowl tickets while your at it :P
I am liking this idea, but sell cheap to Chiefs Crowd Members!:D

Hayvern
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
A friend had tickets to Coachella, he checked stug hub and saw what the tickets were selling for. He decided to sell both of his tickets. Made $1,200 on the deal and went to Vegas instead.

I love music, but there would have to be a band that I really really wanted to see before I would consider using a scalper. Additionally, if I had the option to make that kind of money on tickets I purchased, I might consider selling them.

Chiefs games do not apply.

Connie Jo
05-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, I might be in the minority here, but I would not have any trouble sleeping making a few extra dollars on selling tickets! After all, I have spent way to much to buy tickets to go to a sold out Chiefs game before. I have also gotten them for free also. Saying that? Its still a free market and if someone is willing to pay extra for a few tickets and me not go to the concert/game? Then why not make a few dollars on it? jmo

Oh, I don't judge any one who does it, or would do it...it's just that I couldn't do it, haha. Like I said above, I agree...free enterprise, free will. No one forces the buyers to buy from scalpers and pay the high prices...it's their free will choice. As long as the demand is there, the scalpers will be too, and someone has to meet the demands, haha. I'd rather do business with a ticket scalper than a dishonest salesperson in any other aspect...at least with a scalper/broker (same thing really)... I know what I'm paying for, and getting in return. :)

stricken721
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Looks like I found mine.

Chiefster
05-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Looks like I found mine.

HA! :lol:

Canada
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Wanna see if u can sell 15 tickets to the Chiefs v 49ers? :)