PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm...Patrick Crayton?

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Espn's NFC East blog had a blurb about Patrick Crayton being the odd man out in Dallas.

Between Roy Williams, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Jason Witten, they have plenty of pass catchers.

Crayton has sure hands, is willing to go over the middle, and is a very good punt returner.

Also, Todd Haley coached him from 2004-2006.

Crayton is still young, only a six year vet, and would instantly come in and compete with McCluster for the slot, perhaps even for the #2 WR position.

If he gets cut, I would love to see us go for him. I'd love to see us go for him before then in a trade. I'm thinking a fourth rounder would do it, maybe even a fifth.

He's not a game-changer by any means, but I still think we need a solid vet as our possession receiver.

buffman316
05-14-2010, 12:58 PM
This would be a fantastic trade, especially for a 5th round pick. He would also fit nicely into the system and solve some of the "hands" issues we had last year. McCluster, Bowe, Chambers and Clayton. That sounds really good.

KCINNYC
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
This would be a fantastic trade, especially for a 5th round pick. He would also fit nicely into the system and solve some of the "hands" issues we had last year. McCluster, Bowe, Chambers and Clayton. That sounds really good.

That does sound good. Also your dancing smile guy is hilarious. He looks like he is doing a Lord of the Dance Irish Jig

buffman316
05-14-2010, 03:04 PM
That does sound good. Also your dancing smile guy is hilarious. He looks like he is doing a Lord of the Dance Irish Jig

lol, I loved that one when I saw it. I think he is just happy because he discovered a Jager vat in his mom's basement.

Coach
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
I guess I'm odd man out. I don't like the idea of trading anything away for this guy. He'll be on the street in a month. We have 4 potential slot guys already. Charles, McCluster, Lance Long, Urban.

Crayton could be a 3rd string WR behind Chambers, but I don't see us trading anything for a guy like that. Too many of them on the street already. JMO.

NWA Chief
05-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Crayton is fairly "young" and he has experience as a punt returner. Solid hands and has been on a winning team......5th rounder but no more than that.

More experienced than Urban or Lance Long and I can see the top 4 WR's being Bowe and Chambers on the outside and Crayton and McCluster inside

I have my eye on another Dallas player........

Marcus Spears- just think about it. If Dorsey moved inside and Spears and Jackson at the ends. Looks nice to me and he thought he was getting shipped out durign the draft.

Food for thought

Ryfo18
05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Not worth a 5th rounder IMO. He's never really been that good. I don't think he's any better than Jerhome Urban

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Not worth a 5th rounder IMO. He's never really been that good. I don't think he's any better than Jerhome Urban

Six years
196 career catches
2888 yards
23 TDs

vs

Five years
87 catches
1231 yards
7 TDs

Sorry, but Crayton is a MUCH more productive receiver. I know Urban was on a team with Boldin and Fitzgerald, but Crayton has consistently played with talent around him, too.

I'm not saying it's the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him up. Maybe not in a trade, but certainly in free agency

SalinaChiefsFan
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I guess I'm odd man out. I don't like the idea of trading anything away for this guy. He'll be on the street in a month. We have 4 potential slot guys already. Charles, McCluster, Lance Long, Urban.

Crayton could be a 3rd string WR behind Chambers, but I don't see us trading anything for a guy like that. Too many of them on the street already. JMO.

Yep. If he gets cut, I say great, sign him immediately. If not, no reason to give up anything. Not even a 5th.

honda522
05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Um. No Thanks. I don't want to trade anything to cut a player 5 weeks down the road.

chief31
05-14-2010, 11:44 PM
I believe it was in '08 when I started to like Crayton. But I haven't heard much from him since.

I would be happy if he were to be released and then we signed him. But probably not real thrilled with a trade.

DC_Chiefsfan
05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Six years
196 career catches
2888 yards
23 TDs

vs

Five years
87 catches
1231 yards
7 TDs

Sorry, but Crayton is a MUCH more productive receiver. I know Urban was on a team with Boldin and Fitzgerald, but Crayton has consistently played with talent around him, too.

I'm not saying it's the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him up. Maybe not in a trade, but certainly in free agency

Crayton has also been given more opportunity. There's also not a hug difference in productivity averages:

Crayton = 14.73 yds per catch and caught a TD every 8.5 receptions in 82 games played.

Urban = 14.15 yds per catch and caught a TD every 12.4 receptions in 47 games played.

Should we pick up Crayton if he's realeased? Absolutely, the more WR depth the better for Haley. Should we trade anything for him? Absolutely not.

chief31
05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Crayton = caught a TD every 8.5 receptions in 82 games played.

Urban = caught a TD every 12.4 receptions in 47 games played.

That is actually a pretty big difference.

DC_Chiefsfan
05-15-2010, 05:10 PM
That is actually a pretty big difference.

It is, but given the circumstances of their playing time and WR depth chart, I think it's misleading. For the most part, Crayton played behind TO in Dallas, he was 2nd/3rd string most of his tenure including last year while behind Austin and Williams. Urban played behind Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston (and a lot of times Doucet) most of his career and still managed to get the ball. In 2008, all three of the guys ahead of him had 1000 yrd receiving years and he was still fairly productive as a 4th string wideout despite not being on the field that much (448 receiving and 4 TDs). Whereas, in 2008 Crayton (as a starting WR) compiled 550 yds and 4TDs. In 2009 though, Urban was pushed into 5th on the depth chart whereas Crayton was still 3rd. Gee whiz I sure did get caught up in this more than I thought!

Anyways, all I'm saying is that these guys are very comparable except that Urban is 2 years younger and has the same amount of years in the league. So I wouldn't trade anything for Crayton. And if we don't get him in free agency, I'm still not that concerned.

chief31
05-15-2010, 05:19 PM
It is, but given the circumstances of their playing time and WR depth chart, I think it's misleading. For the most part, Crayton played behind TO in Dallas, he was 2nd/3rd string most of his tenure including last year while behind Austin and Williams. Urban played behind Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston (and a lot of times Doucet) most of his career and still managed to get the ball. In 2008, all three of the guys ahead of him had 1000 yrd receiving years and he was still fairly productive as a 4th string wideout despite not being on the field that much (448 receiving and 4 TDs). Whereas, in 2008 Crayton (as a starting WR) compiled 550 yds and 4TDs. In 2009 though, Urban was pushed into 5th on the depth chart whereas Crayton was still 3rd. Gee whiz I sure did get caught up in this more than I thought!

Anyways, all I'm saying is that these guys are very comparable except that Urban is 2 years younger and has the same amount of years in the league. So I wouldn't trade anything for Crayton. And if we don't get him in free agency, I'm still not that concerned.

I think the reason I would put a bit more stock into Crayton is because of that experience advantage.

texaschief
05-17-2010, 12:24 AM
This thread was referenced on ESPN as the source of Crayton coming here on their rumors page. lol nice

I'm neutral on Crayton as long as we don't trade for him.

Chiefster
05-17-2010, 03:28 AM
This thread was referenced on ESPN as the source of Crayton coming here on their rumors page. lol nice

The "Crowd" is making a difference! :punk:

70 chiefsfan70
05-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I say competition is GOOD, and so long as it does cost us lets have more. It makes the real players stand out!

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM

No way...

Can you copy/paste that? My insider account expired, and I can't look it up!

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh my gosh, just saw for myself.

Hilarious.

ESPN.com NFC East blogger Matt Mosley wrote on Thursday that Patrick Crayton could end up being released by the Dallas Cowboys, now that the team has several other options at the receiver position. He adds that it might be a mistake, seeing as how Crayton is reliable and depth at the position could be important for the Cowboys this season; nevertheless, there is a good chance it could happen. Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com relayed word on Sunday night from Crayton's agent that the receiver will not attend OTAs this week, a possible sign that something is currently being worked out.

A full list of suitors for Crayton has not yet emerged (a trade would be unlikely, as interested teams will probably wait for him to be let go), but one option that has been put forward is the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan). The blog ChiefsCrowd.com (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15036&Itemid=2) suggests the team as a great fit for Crayton, where he could compete for the slot receiver position with rookie Dexter McCluster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13207), and possibly factor in on the outside as well. If Crayton does get released from the 'Boys, several receiver-needy teams could come calling.

KCINNYC
05-17-2010, 01:30 PM
That is hilarious that Chiefs Crowd gets read for information. Well done SaphoJunkie. Lets just hope they don't read the Kool Aid threads

Ryfo18
05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Haha I love it! This should definitely generate some traffic for the site.

DC_Chiefsfan
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
HAHA!! That is awesome!

KristofLaw
05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
So um, who's Matt Mosley on here? Put your hand up.... :D

josh1971
05-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I know a Matt Mosley, but he's not on this site- not even a Chiefs fan, that I know of.

kctexan
05-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Crayton is over rated and drama

ChiefKU
05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't give up a whole lot for him, but I'd be interested if the price is right. D-Bowe might be in trouble this season. McCluster might be good, but he's more of a slot WR. Chambers will be fine, but another proven WR is always good especially since we led the league in drops last season.