PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Lists DJ as one of ten players needing a scenery change

Hayvern
05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
10 NFL players who could use change of scenery (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/nfl-players-who-need-change-scenery-top-10-051310#sport=NFL&photo=11203739)

Also listed is Branden Albert and Glen Dorsey

These are listed as players that need a change a scenery. One line is quite telling:

"When a guy basically patents a ball-punching technique and averages almost 70 tackles a season over six years despite oddly-dwindling playing time, he needs to be on the field for someone. "

I agree and if he is not that guy for the Chiefs, then lets get something for him.

Also, calling Mays a star? Does kind of call into question the writer's mental facilities.

As for Albert:

"Albert’s stats improved as last season drew on, but he still feels out of place at the premier blocking position. His size and mauling ability against the run make him an asset for Jamal Charles and the newly acquired Thomas Jones, so it’s not a change in cities that’s needed here, but a slide down the line. At guard or even right tackle, Albert’s skill set would be better utilized facing lesser rushers and finding more time to bulldoze defenders."

matthewschiefs
05-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I dont think that Dorsey or Albert fit on this list.

DJ very much could use a change. He for whatever reason did not fit into Haleys plans a year ago. Unless things have changed and with the new coaching staff they could have I think it would be best for DJ to be moved.

josh1971
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Sorry, but I just don't see where DJ needs a change of scenery either, unless by 'scenery', we're talking about the view from the field as opposed to the bench.

Every time the guy was on the field, he was magic. I'm sure that the Denver game at the end of the year caught Haley's eye, and this writer needs to understand that with a new DC for the team- a GOOD DC- DJ could wind up being on the field a lot this season.

You know what they say about opinions...

pbatrucker
05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Every time the guy was on the field, he was magic.
I guess he was magically out of position all those times. I like DJ, but until he learns to cover his responsibilities, every play every day, he will not be running with the 1st team.

whatwasthat?
05-17-2010, 03:59 PM
i dont think this guy knows that this is dorseys 3rd season...he makes it sound like hes been in the league 8 years

dorsey was noticeably one of our better defensive players last year

SAPHOJUNKIE
05-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I agree. You don't say a defensive tackle needs a change of scenery in his third season.

First of all, Dorsey has more tackles in his first two seasons than any DT taken in the first our second round since 2006. true story. In fact, Dorsey has almost as many tackles as some other high profile guys have had in more years. I'm talking solo tackles here. dorsey is NOT struggling comparatively. He is actually excelling for a young DT making the pro transition.

Granted, I would gladly trade Dorsey if we could get first round compensation. He's a tremendous talent, but he isn't the best fit for the scheme, and we could replace him with someone more built for a 5 technique available in round 2 or 3, and use that first round pick on a true #1 WR or LB.

I don't think a change of scenery would help DJ. The only thing that can help Dj is him deciding to be the best player her can be - putting in the work and being disciplined on the field.

I like DJ and always have, but it's true that he's never lived up to his billing, and has no one but himself to blame.

He still could though, he's not old.

I still think that we will draft a new left tackle and move Albert to guard when Waters retires (next year).

Three7s
05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Sorry, but I just don't see where DJ needs a change of scenery either, unless by 'scenery', we're talking about the view from the field as opposed to the bench.

Every time the guy was on the field, he was magic. I'm sure that the Denver game at the end of the year caught Haley's eye, and this writer needs to understand that with a new DC for the team- a GOOD DC- DJ could wind up being on the field a lot this season.

Oh come on, we're you even watching the same games as me? DJ was a joke about half the time he was on the field.

honda522
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't like this article one bit. Albert and Doresy just got here.

DJ is going to get better with Romeo here.

matthewschiefs
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM

If DJ can do what haley wants and be on the field I would love to see him stay a chief. But for some reason last season he couldnt and if that keeps going then he and the chiefs would be better off parting ways.

bwilliams
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
It's amazing how many players we have playing out of their natural positions. The article mentioned Albert, Dorsey, and DJ. Whichever of Page and Berry start as SS will be playing out of position. So will McCluster. Shaun Smith is more of a 3-4 DE, and Ron Edwards is a 4-3 DT. Hali is a converted 4-3 DE (although he converted extremely well). That's seven starting positions (including 3WR) in all.

whatwasthat?
05-18-2010, 12:10 AM
It's amazing how many players we have playing out of their natural positions. The article mentioned Albert, Dorsey, and DJ. Whichever of Page and Berry start as SS will be playing out of position. So will McCluster. Shaun Smith is more of a 3-4 DE, and Ron Edwards is a 4-3 DT. Hali is a converted 4-3 DE (although he converted extremely well). That's seven starting positions (including 3WR) in all.

berry has no set safety position...if he plays either safety spot then he wont be out of position because he played both in college (i really think he needs to be a FS though)...i dont know why you think shaun smith is a DE? i dont see it...

all the others are out of position though...most nfl 3-4 OLB are converted DEs however

matthewschiefs
05-18-2010, 12:43 AM

If they play well in there new positions i really dont care that they switch

And Mccluser was a WR before he was a RB so that is not his natrual postion.

bwilliams
05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
berry has no set safety position...if he plays either safety spot then he wont be out of position because he played both in college (i really think he needs to be a FS though)...i dont know why you think shaun smith is a DE? i dont see it...

all the others are out of position though...most nfl 3-4 OLB are converted DEs however

There's a reason why all the pundits called Berry the next Ed Reed as opposed to the next Troy Polamalu. He's just a natural fit at the FS spot due to his speed, athleticism, and coverage skills. You want him out deep, ballhawking and covering WRs and being the last line of defense.

Shaun Smith played all three 3-4 DL spots in Cleveland, and more of his career (such as it is) has been at 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT than at NT.

And most 3-4 OLBs are converted to DE from college to pros. I meant Hali played 4-3 DE for three years in the pros before being converted to OLB. Most 3-4 OLBs don't do that.

bwilliams
05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
If they play well in there new positions i really dont care that they switch

And Mccluser was a WR before he was a RB so that is not his natrual postion.

McCluster's going to take time to convert into a NFL WR, his time playing WR in high school notwithstanding. A player's college years and schemes are a whole lot more important in determining their position than what they did in high school.

This isn't Madden. It takes time to convert players to new positions. Dorsey trained his whole life (including four years of college and one in the pros) to be a 4-3 DT. Even if he can play well as a 3-4 DE, it's going to take a few years. Same with the rest.

josh1971
05-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Every time the guy was on the field, he was magic.
I guess he was magically out of position all those times. I like DJ, but until he learns to cover his responsibilities, every play every day, he will not be running with the 1st team.

And with an actual GOOD DC here in town, a lot of his position problems probably get solved, but can you honestly say the guy wasn't a playmaker in his very limited time on the field? He outdid most of our DB's in interceptions.

Oh come on, we're you even watching the same games as me? DJ was a joke about half the time he was on the field.

I did watch a game where he returned an Int. 75 yards, and another game where he crawled over the top of an O-lineman to sack both the QB and that lineman. And a game where he returned a pair of Int.s for TDs. The guy has talent and play-making ability. If you want to call him a joke, cool, but I'll let Romeo work with him to make him less funny to you.

His big plays pump up the team and the crowd.

I don't like this article one bit. Albert and Doresy just got here.

DJ is going to get better with Romeo here.

This.

Hayvern
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I did watch a game where he returned an Int. 75 yards, and another game where he crawled over the top of an O-lineman to sack both the QB and that lineman. And a game where he returned a pair of Int.s for TDs. The guy has talent and play-making ability. If you want to call him a joke, cool, but I'll let Romeo work with him to make him less funny to you.

Which is the definition of a playmaker... we just picked up a couple of guys we are fond to call playmakers. Not to beat that :beat_DeadHorse: but what we picked up is three more DJs, based on what I have heard others say about him. He really cannot play every down, but when he comes in, he can make the big play.

Hayvern
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
There's a reason why all the pundits called Berry the next Ed Reed as opposed to the next Troy Polamalu. He's just a natural fit at the FS spot due to his speed, athleticism, and coverage skills. You want him out deep, ballhawking and covering WRs and being the last line of defense.

Shaun Smith played all three 3-4 DL spots in Cleveland, and more of his career (such as it is) has been at 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT than at NT.

And most 3-4 OLBs are converted to DE from college to pros. I meant Hali played 4-3 DE for three years in the pros before being converted to OLB. Most 3-4 OLBs don't do that.

I read an article a while ago that talked about that. While Tamba was a little large when asked to convert to OLB, he made the transition well. Why? Because in a 3-4 it is the outside linebacker that plays the role of the defensive end in a 4-3.

That is why those guys can make those transitions pretty well and Hali has the speed to make it happen.

bwilliams
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I read an article a while ago that talked about that. While Tamba was a little large when asked to convert to OLB, he made the transition well. Why? Because in a 3-4 it is the outside linebacker that plays the role of the defensive end in a 4-3.

That is why those guys can make those transitions pretty well and Hali has the speed to make it happen.

Well, it's a bit different. The 3-4 OLB is required to have a least a semblance of coverage skills, and they have to adjust from the change in stance. You also need to be a bit faster and athletic than the average DE, and a 3-4 OLB can be a bit lighter and weaker than the average 4-3 DE.

Anyway, I agree, Tamba made a terrific transition. I don't think most 4-3 DEs could do it as well or as quickly as he did.

Three7s
05-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Isn't the most important stat for a ILB tackles? INTs are nice, but I'd rather have someone who doesn't get burned against the run because of playing out of position because of LACK OF FOCUS!

If Crennel can wave his wand and magically turn DJ into a guy who actually makes tackles, then great.

KristofLaw
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Whatever, it's all subjective.... guess we'll have to wait and see. Or not. Or maybe. Whatever.

josh1971
05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Isn't the most important stat for a ILB tackles? INTs are nice, but I'd rather have someone who doesn't get burned against the run because of playing out of position because of LACK OF FOCUS!

If Crennel can wave his wand and magically turn DJ into a guy who actually makes tackles, then great.

Perhaps playing under Herm, and then under the completely and totally underwhelming DC we had last year has allowed DJ to get sloppy. We'll see what this year holds, eh?

I like to think that tackles are the most important stat for nearly every defensive player (Except maybe the free safety). Hopefully, the tackling will be better for everyone this year.

Again, we'll see. :bananen_smilies046:

whatwasthat?
05-18-2010, 10:04 PM

i think reed has played some SS along with FS...hes just so talented he managed to produce like a FS...but like we both said, id really like berry to be at FS

Chiefster
05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
well we all know that DJ will be around for at least one more season.