PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
This originally spawned from a post here:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212&page=13

However, I figured with a few revisions, this was worthy of it's own thread. Here goes...

If we get to the point where we have no chance at the playoffs, I still won't want the Chiefs to lose games, but I also won't care nearly as much if we do lose and get a higher draft pick. However, I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing this "playing for a draft pick" crap when we are only 1 week into the regular season. Seriously what kind of fans give up all hope for their team before the first snap of the season or after only one loss? The Chiefs' nation are supposed to be the most dedicated and commited fans in the NFL. I live in KC, and I haven't seen said dedication around town nor in forums this year except in a few cases.

Those who are optimistic and excited about the season here on chiefscrowd.com know who you are and those of you who have your doubts (and rightfully so), are not necessarily any less dedicated than I. We all have them at some point or another. However, if you proclaim yourself to be a Chiefs' fan and throw this team's season under the bus before it's really even started then you have no spine as a fan in my opinion.

These naysayers want to call their fair-weather mentality being 'realistic' and say that they have 'perspective'. Hey, if I'm deceiving myself about the Chiefs' chances this year, then so be it. Part of being a dedicated, commited, and TRUE fan is hope for success and belief in your team. Dedication is standing straight and tall in the face of grim odds. Commitment is staying steadfast, rigid, and rock-solid while defending your beliefs no matter how dire the situation may seem.

I will stand by this team and say we have a chance to go all the way this year until it is no longer mathematically possible. Sure I may be dreaming or whatever but I'm not just a fan, I'm a FANADDICT! I'm not going to mope around, being depressed about the Chiefs, while there is still the most remote possibility for them to succeed. I don't get to watch enough Chiefs' football as it is because the season is too short for my taste. I will always try to make it as interesting and fun as possible at least for myself. Nobody will EVER take from me the enjoyment and excitement I feel at the beginning of a fresh season of watching the Chiefs.

Let me put it to you this way: In Mel Gibson's movie, "The Patriot", when the guy is told to burn down the church full of people to prove his loyalty to England, would you have done it because the impossible odds of refusing the order and in turn fighting an entire regiment of British soldiers alone? Would you forever carry the weight of burning innocent people alive because you "didn't have a choice" or because "it was going to happen anyway"?

Or would you have pulled your sidearm, put a bullet right in the dome of the piece of garbage that gave the order, and then proceed to send as many of those a-holes to hell as you could until they took you down? Sure, the church may still get burned after they kill you, but at least your soul is not the one stained with such a hanus act and you went down fighting...

texaschief
09-14-2007, 04:04 PM
i can understand frustration by fans who drop that kind of cash every season to watch the team play. If i lived there, i'd be doing the same thing. But, the fact that the Chiefs' fans are so dedicated is the reason why Carl Peterson still has a job and at least one factor why the Chiefs don't have a ring.

If the fans keep paying the same money to watch a mediocre team, why worry about trying to win a title? Arrowhead as been amazing since it was built. But every year has ended in the same heart break. Usually teams have to make playoff runs or win titles to get the kind of attendance the Chiefs enjoy year in and year out.

If the locals keep spending the money, what's the motivation to win a title?

You may not like "playing for a draft pick", but it's not like anything else has worked in the last 5 decades...why don't we try something new?

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
i can understand frustration by fans who drop that kind of cash every season to watch the team play. If i lived there, i'd be doing the same thing. But, the fact that the Chiefs' fans are so dedicated is the reason why Carl Peterson still has a job and at least one factor why the Chiefs don't have a ring.

If the fans keep paying the same money to watch a mediocre team, why worry about trying to win a title? Arrowhead as been amazing since it was built. But every year has ended in the same heart break. Usually teams have to make playoff runs or win titles to get the kind of attendance the Chiefs enjoy year in and year out.

If the locals keep spending the money, what's the motivation to win a title?

You may not like "playing for a draft pick", but it's not like anything else has worked in the last 5 decades...why don't we try something new?

I agree that CP will be here and will keep settling for mediocrity as long as tickets sell. Season ticket sales are lower this year, however and the organization is trying more advertising and such in order to sell some of the tickets that are normally already taken.

Getting a high draft pick is not the cure-all for any football team. There have been numerous high-pick flops in the NFL. There have also been many teams that have done well in the draft with a lower pick. The real gems are guys like Priest Holmes and Jared Allen-- undrafted free agents and later-round picks that shine when they get their chances.

Getting a high draft pick means nothing if you don't draft the right players and I don't have enough confidence in the draft-day decision making of Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson to forfeit an entire season for a high pick that they will probably screw up.

Unfortunately, I don't think that our woes on the o-line will be cured by the organization any time soon. Either through the draft or even free agency for that matter. Edwards is notorious for neglecting the offensive line. Hence why Pennington was hurt so much and why Curtis Martin was run into the ground during Edward's tenure with the Jets.

We need to hope the guys we have can improve and play well because I really don't see us having the necessary dedication to re-building the o-line as long as Herman Edwards is in Kansas City.

bigpoppachief
09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I love the chiefs always have and always will. I made that statement once if we are going to have a losing season i would rather have it a bomb but that doesnt stop me going to the bars here in colorado and cheering my Chiefs on I will cheer them every game but still at the end of the season would i rather be 8-8 or 0-16 Well i would never want something that bad but im just saying if we are not going to the playoffs then i would rather get a high draft pick but i will cheer for the chiefs every game. I just think that we are in for a long season and the name brennan would be nice on a chiefs jersey but so would Quinn lmao damn cowboys !

texaschief
09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
i think some are overreacting to the O-line. I think you'll get a better picture of what this line can do after they've played some games together. evaluating the O-line should come after the season or at least 2/3 of the way thru...not after 1 game. The middle 3 and TEs are solid. The line doesn't need to be rebuilt, just needs an upgrade.

...and we've done A LOT better in the draft recently with Edwards than we EVER did with Vermeil. There have also been a lot more hits than misses in the top 5 in recent years. Just because there have been a couple poor picks like Leaf and Couch doesn't mean it's bad to have a top pick. Even competitive teams who need solid QBs don't look to later rounds to find them. Just look at what the Broncos did last year. They traded up so they could grab Cutler. They didn't wait till the third round and hope Croyle might still be there.

chief31
09-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Just because there have been a couple poor picks like Leaf and Couch doesn't mean it's bad to have a top pick.

Could you do us a favor and quote someone saying that having a high pick was a bad thing. You have accused several people of doing so. Playing for a draft spot, when you are 0-1 is a bad thing, but having a high pick is a good thing and noone would argue that.

texaschief
09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree that CP will be here and will keep settling for mediocrity as long as tickets sell. Season ticket sales are lower this year, however and the organization is trying more advertising and such in order to sell some of the tickets that are normally already taken.

Getting a high draft pick is not the cure-all for any football team. There have been numerous high-pick flops in the NFL. There have also been many teams that have done well in the draft with a lower pick. The real gems are guys like Priest Holmes and Jared Allen-- undrafted free agents and later-round picks that shine when they get their chances.

Getting a high draft pick means nothing if you don't draft the right players and I don't have enough confidence in the draft-day decision making of Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson to forfeit an entire season for a high pick that they will probably screw up.

Unfortunately, I don't think that our woes on the o-line will be cured by the organization any time soon. Either through the draft or even free agency for that matter. Edwards is notorious for neglecting the offensive line. Hence why Pennington was hurt so much and why Curtis Martin was run into the ground during Edward's tenure with the Jets.

We need to hope the guys we have can improve and play well because I really don't see us having the necessary dedication to re-building the o-line as long as Herman Edwards is in Kansas City.

just a quick example...there are plenty others. We've had plenty of #20 something draft picks and plenty of lower round draft picks...i'm still waiting for our saviour to come out of the wood work....hey!!! maybe it's Sippio!!! lol

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 05:05 PM
i think some are overreacting to the O-line. I think you'll get a better picture of what this line can do after they've played some games together. evaluating the O-line should come after the season or at least 2/3 of the way thru...not after 1 game. The middle 3 and TEs are solid. The line doesn't need to be rebuilt, just needs an upgrade.

...and we've done A LOT better in the draft recently with Edwards than we EVER did with Vermeil. There have also been a lot more hits than misses in the top 5 in recent years. Just because there have been a couple poor picks like Leaf and Couch doesn't mean it's bad to have a top pick. Even competitive teams who need solid QBs don't look to later rounds to find them. Just look at what the Broncos did last year. They traded up so they could grab Cutler. They didn't wait till the third round and hope Croyle might still be there.

I agree on the o-line. "Rebuild" was the wrong word. I think they will get better as the season goes on. I was just saying that Herm seems to have a tendency to forget about the big guys in the trenches.

Could you do us a favor and quote someone saying that having a high pick was a bad thing. You have accused several people of doing so. Playing for a draft spot, when you are 0-1 is a bad thing, but having a high pick is a good thing and noone would argue that.

Eggsactly! :D A high draft pick is good but it doesn't automatically cure all of a team's woes. And YES, playing for a draft pick after the first game is totally ridiculous, I agree.

texaschief
09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
someone tell me what they see in our team and our schedule that makes them think we can make the playoffs in such a tough division and conference. I started the whole coverstation about how bad the Chiefs will be because i wanted to know which QB we should draft so that i could try and watch them during the season, but since we're going to the Playoffs and probably the Super Bowl with this team, we don't have to have the conversation.

chief31
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
just a quick example...there are plenty others. We've had plenty of #20 something draft picks and plenty of lower round draft picks...i'm still waiting for our saviour to come out of the wood work....hey!!! maybe it's Sippio!!! lol

We were awefully competetive with FREE AGENTS like Priest Holmes, Willie Roaf and Trent Green. But, since they weren't our top-??? draft picks, then clearly none of those guys were good enough for you.

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 05:23 PM
someone tell me what they see in our team and our schedule that makes them think we can make the playoffs in such a tough division and conference. I started the whole coverstation about how bad the Chiefs will be because i wanted to know which QB we should draft so that i could try and watch them during the season, but since we're going to the Playoffs and probably the Super Bowl with this team, we don't have to have the conversation.

And you seem to think that drafting a QB is going to solve everything. Even if we get a prodigy at QB in the draft, do you think Herm is going to open the playbook up and let him actually throw the ball down the field?? Herm already said that scoring over 21 points shouldn't happen in a NFL game. His philosophy is to keep scores low and play ball-control with the running game and short passes.

I'll tell you what I see in this team. 3 pro-bowl running backs (although one is on NFI), the best tight end of all time, an o-line that should improve as the season goes on, and improved receiving corps, an already improved defense with some bon-a-fide studs on the starting squad, and a dependable veteran QB that is not going to lose games by making dumb throws and mistakes.

I'll also tell you where our weaknesses lie: Special teams. Drummond hasn't proved a damn thing to me other than he tries to force things just like Dante did and we wasted a draft pick on a punk kicker who held out for more money, rolled his eyes about how many kicks he had to take in practice, and then came out and couldn't put the ball through the uprights when it mattered. Now the guy isn't even with the team anymore and we have to rely on somebody we brought in last-minute.

texaschief
09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
ok. you win...we're gonna be GREAT!!! Does anyone know how much Super Bowl tickets are? how about hotel rates in Arizona? i'd like to make my reservations now.

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
ok. you win...we're gonna be GREAT!!! Does anyone know how much Super Bowl tickets are? how about hotel rates in Arizona? i'd like to make my reservations now.

Did you once hear me try to prognosticate that the Chiefs would be in the superbowl. I will always believe they have a chance until they are mathematically out of the picture but I never stepped out on a limb even saying they would make the playoffs. I believe maybe they can. However, I am not granted with the gift of foresight as you are. So all I can say is the possibility exists but I can't say with any certainty whatsoever that the Chiefs will be playing in January because it hasn't happened yet.

While you may know your football (it seems that could be debated by some), you are a 24 year old guy from Texas. This in no way makes you football's Nostradomus.

You asked what makes this team good. I told you why they have a CHANCE to be good and the reasons I listed are valid. Look at the roster for this team. The Chiefs hold a wealth of talent. The issue is if they can get it together and gel in time before it's too late.

texaschief
09-14-2007, 05:50 PM
all the reasons you listed are reasons why they'll be good in the future...with the exception of the QB and maybe even the RB...i don't know that LJ will contribute to helping this team make a playoff run once this team is ready.

As far as me prognosticating, you can tell me i was right after the season. you don't have to tell me now. you're upset right now and i know your pride won't let you be wrong. I may be 24, but at least i'm dilusional about where this team is headed THIS season. I also know a bad team when i see it. You're older and have watched this team long enough to know this team is bad too.

Again, tell my what games you think we'll win. If you were honest with yourself, you'd see that there were MAYBE a MAXIMUM of 6 games that were winnable.

rbedgood
09-14-2007, 06:35 PM

I live in Arizona and can help you in finding lodging. The best rate near the Glendale stadium is the Hampton Inn Peoria...it is only about 3-4 miles from the stadium. Much of the area is agriculture and there aren't hotels much closer to the stadium yet...a few are being built. As for tickets they're pretty expensive but it was either M0ef0e or Canada I think that posted a package deal for them a week or two ago.

I'll be happy to buy you a beer (Texaschief) if I am wrong and the Chiefs make the Super Bowl...would be great if it was 49ers v. Chiefs, we could have a little rivalry going.

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 06:51 PM
all the reasons you listed are reasons why they'll be good in the future...with the exception of the QB and maybe even the RB...i don't know that LJ will contribute to helping this team make a playoff run once this team is ready.

As far as me prognosticating, you can tell me i was right after the season. you don't have to tell me now. you're upset right now and i know your pride won't let you be wrong. I may be 24, but at least i'm dilusional about where this team is headed THIS season. I also know a bad team when i see it. You're older and have watched this team long enough to know this team is bad too.

Again, tell my what games you think we'll win. If you were honest with yourself, you'd see that there were MAYBE a MAXIMUM of 6 games that were winnable.

Every game is winnable, dude. That's why they play the season instead of just crowning the Patriots champs right now. Injuries occur, the ball takes weird bounces, gets tipped off hands, players perform above or below their expectations, and penalties all affect the outcome of games. This is why people use the term "any given Sunday". Sure, you can make an educated guess about who will win a game but it's still just a guess. Upsets happen.

I'll GUESS on each remaining game for the season with reason:

@ Bears - L

I'll go ahead and say we drop this one because the bears defense is excellent and our offense is still struggling. If we get good pressure on Grossman, we could force some turnovers and have a chance to win. Especially if we get a defensive TD. So, I could be wrong on this one. (I hope so.)

Vikings - W

Atlanta's offense may be the worst in the NFL this year. Holding them to 3 points isn't much of a statement for any defense. I think our offense is going to start picking up some in week 3. Peterson ran well in week 1 but Atlanta's defense doesn't seem nearly as good as the Chiefs' defense is capable of being. I think it will be close but Chiefs come out on top.

@ Chargers - L

The offense won't have it together enough to keep up with San Diego's by this point and the Charger's defense is really good. This one could really hurt to watch.

Jaguars - W

They are pretty much in the same QB situation we are and Garrard doesn't have the targets on the field that Huard does. The Jags were blown up for a massive amount of rushing yards by the Titans in week 1. Plus, the game is at Arrowhead.

Bengals - W

One word: Revenge. The Chiefs are going to come into this game pissed. If they are as tired of the Bengals beating us up over the last few years as I am, they will step it up a notch in this game. It will be a close, hard-fought victory but high-emotion has an impact on games. I think the Bengals may take us for granted after so handily beating the crap out of us lately and in the NFL that can be a fatal mistake.

@ Raiders - W

USC could beat the Faders.

Packers - W

This is a team that is in much the same boat we are-- they are trying to get younger. The packers look better than they have the last few years but I still give the Chiefs the edge because it's in Arrowhead. Close game.

Broncos - W

These games are close every time regardless of who looks better on paper or by how much. Chiefs get the edge in Arrowhead in another really close one.

@ Colts - L

The Colts are just scary. Still probably the best offensive unit in the NFL with an improved defense. I would love nothing more than to get some overdue revenge on the Ponies but I don't see us walking away with this one.

Raiders - W

Oakland is terrible and they will be at Arrowhead.

Chargers - W

I'm hoping by this time our team has come together enough to keep up with the Chargers on both sides of the ball. Plus, it's a home game in December. That's when the Chiefs shine.

@ Broncos - L

It'll be close but its REALLY hard to come out of Invesco with a divisoinal win.

Titans - W

Vince Young may struggle this year. He did in week 1. I think he will be improved at this point in the season but so will we. Arrowhead in December. Chiefs get it done.

@ Lions - W

The Lions have improved but they let the horrible Faders score 21. I think we will have this game well in hand on both sides of the ball. The Lions still are not all that great.

@ Jets - L

The Jets always hang around and play hard. Mangini is doing a lot of good things for that club. They made the wild-card last year and have improved since. They may very well be the strongest wild-card team in the league this year because winning that division will be tough. I think the Jets will be on a roll, heading into a wild-card spot again this year and they will be tough to beat. Herm loses against his former team.

So, 10-6 for this season. My opinions are really biased though, and I'm probably looking through rose-colored glasses. Hey, at least I can admit it. :D

EDIT: I originally said 11-5 because I was just counting the losses and forgot about Houston. I have conditioned myself to block traumatic experiences from memory. :drunkhb: :toast2:

DrunkHillbilly
09-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Every game is winnable, dude. That's why they play the season instead of just crowning the Patriots champs right now. Injuries occur, the ball takes weird bounces, gets tipped off hands, players perform above or below their expectations, and penalties all affect the outcome of games. This is why people use the term "any given Sunday". Sure, you can make an educated guess about who will win a game but it's still just a guess. Upsets happen.

@ Bears - L

I'll go ahead and say we drop this one because the bears defense is excellent and our offense is still struggling. If we get good pressure on Grossman, we could force some turnovers and have a chance to win. Especially if we get a defensive TD. So, I could be wrong on this one. (I hope so.)

Vikings - W

Atlanta's offense may be the worst in the NFL this year. Holding them to 3 points isn't much of a statement for any defense. I think our offense is going to start picking up some in week 3. Peterson ran well in week 1 but Atlanta's defense doesn't seem nearly as good as the Chiefs' defense is capable of being. I think it will be close but Chiefs come out on top.

@ Chargers - L

The offense won't have it together enough to keep up with San Diego's by this point and the Charger's defense is really good. This one could really hurt to watch.

Jaguars - W

They are pretty much in the same QB situation we are and Garrard doesn't have the targets on the field that Huard does. The Jags were blown up for a massive amount of rushing yards by the Titans in week 1. Plus, the game is at Arrowhead.

Bengals - W

One word: Revenge. The Chiefs are going to come into this game pissed. If they are as tired of the Bengals beating us up over the last few years as I am, they will step it up a notch in this game. It will be a close, hard-fought victory but high-emotion has an impact on games. I think the Bengals may take us for granted after so handily beating the crap out of us lately and in the NFL that can be a fatal mistake.

@ Raiders - W

Packers - W

This is a team that is in much the same boat we are-- they are trying to get younger. The packers look better than they have the last few years but I still give the Chiefs the edge because it's in Arrowhead. Close game.

Broncos - W

These games are close every time regardless of who looks better on paper or by how much. Chiefs get the edge in Arrowhead in another really close one.

@ Colts - L

The Colts are just scary. Still probably the best offensive unit in the NFL with an improved defense. I would love nothing more than to get some overdue revenge on the Ponies but I don't see us walking away with this one.

Raiders - W

Chargers - W

I'm hoping by this time our team has come together enough to keep up with the Chargers on both sides of the ball. Plus, it's a home game in December. That's when the Chiefs shine.

@ Broncos - L

It'll be close but its REALLY hard to come out of Invesco with a divisoinal win.

Titans - W

Vince Young may struggle this year. He did in week 1. I think he will be improved at this point in the season but so will we. Arrowhead in December. Chiefs get it done.

@ Lions - W

The Lions have improved but they let the horrible Faders score 21. I think we will have this game well in hand on both sides of the ball. The Lions still are not all that great.

@ Jets - L

The Jets always hang around and play hard. Mangini is doing a lot of good things for that club. They made the wild-card last year and have improved since. They may very well be the strongest wild-card team in the league this year because winning that division will be tough. I think the Jets will be on a roll, heading into a wild-card spot again this year and they will be tough to beat. Herm loses against his former team.

WOW!!!!! 5 in a row and 10 overall????

Can you ship some of that kool aid here to Az.?? It's hot here!!!

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 07:00 PM
WOW!!!!! 5 in a row and 10 overall????

Can you ship some of that kool aid here to Az.?? It's hot here!!!

:lol: Yeah, I didn't notice the 5 game win streak until after I was done. The Bengals and Packers games could both easily go the other way. I was just being optimistic on those. By all rights, the Bengals should probably beat us. The Packers is going to be a good one though. Lots of young talent on display in that one.

Chiefster
09-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Let me put it to you this way: In Mel Gibson's movie, "The Patriot", when the guy is told to burn down the church full of people to prove his loyalty to England, would you have done it because the impossible odds of refusing the order and in turn fighting an entire regiment of British soldiers alone? Would you forever carry the weight of burning innocent people alive because you "didn't have a choice" or because "it was going to happen anyway"?

Or would you have pulled your sidearm, put a bullet right in the dome of the piece of garbage that gave the order, and then proceed to send as many of those a-holes to hell as you could until they took you down? Sure, the church may still get burned after they kill you, but at least your soul is not the one stained with such a hanus act and you went down fighting...

I was with ya up to this point bud; just felt as if the analogy was just a bit over the top. Comparing the waning the loyalty of an NFL football team fan to having to choose where your national loyalty lies in a life or death situation to me is the equivalent of apples and oranges. IMHO.

FWIW: I don't think I could bring myself, personally, to commit such a despicable act.

royalswin100games
09-14-2007, 07:09 PM

@ Bears - L

Vikings - W

@ Chargers - L

Jaguars - W

Bengals - W

@ Raiders - W

Packers - W

Broncos - W

@ Colts - L

Raiders - W

Chargers - W

@ Broncos - L

Titans - W

@ Lions - W

@ Jets - L

So, 10-6 for this season. My opinions are really biased though, and I'm probably looking through rose-colored glasses. Hey, at least I can admit it. :D

EDIT: I originally said 11-5 because I was just counting the losses and forgot about Houston. I have conditioned myself to block traumatic experiences from memory. :drunkhb: :toast2:

I hope so... I want some of that juice you have out there in the desert too.

You know, Tex said he'd like to see Brennan in a Chiefs uniform. I think i'd like Brohm a little better (In no way am I condoning losing). Who knows if those guys end up like Couch anyway. It's all a crap shoot. We need to do some videotaping.

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I was with ya up to this point bud; just felt as if the analogy was just a bit over the top. Comparing the waning the loyalty of an NFL football team fan to having to choose where your national loyalty lies in a life or death situation to me is the equivalent of apples and oranges. IMHO.

FWIW: I don't think I could bring myself, personally, to commit such a despicable act.

I agree it was over the top. I was trying to get extreme with it to really drive the point home, though. Apples and Oranges? Absolutely. I was just hoping for some shock value to make people think about their mentality toward the team they claim to love.

chief31
09-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree it was over the top. I was trying to get extreme with it to really drive the point home, though. Apples and Oranges? Absolutely. I was just hoping for some shock value to make people think about their mentality toward the team they claim to love.

Ya only lost me with that analogy, because you were comparing fan loyalty to the loyalty the soldier had. And you said you were going to turn on that loyalty. Lol. I understood where you were trying to go, but found it funny that the loyalty was ate-up in your analogy.

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Ya only lost me with that analogy, because you were comparing fan loyalty to the loyalty the soldier had. And you said you were going to turn on that loyalty. Lol. I understood where you were trying to go, but found it funny that the loyalty was ate-up in your analogy.

The guy in reference (the guy that was Jane in Serenity, I forget the actor's name) was an American settler that signed up with the Brit army. My point was that he had a choice in where his loyalties would lie. Either with the civilains he had chosen to take up residence with, or the army he had chosen to join.

Taking the easier road or simply going with the flow sometimes requires a certain level of selling out or doing things that go against your better judgement. IMO, saying we should just lay down and play for a draft pick is selling out.

In the movie, you could tell the guy was uncomfortable with the order but instead of taking a moral stand, he took the easy way out for his own self-preservation. Much like someone who acts like they know know their football by simply repeating what they hear every day in the media and believing it when the analysts and experts automatically write a team's season off as a loss. As opposed to doing actual research and formulating an opinion for yourself.

Going with the flow is easy. Standing in the face of adversity never is. If the Chiefs have mental strength and backbone as a team to stand up against said adversity, they could very well have a winning season. Sometimes genius is realised through the doubt of others.

chief31
09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
The guy in reference (the guy that was Jane in Serenity, I forget the actor's name) was an American settler that signed up with the Brit army. My point was that he had a choice in where his loyalties would lie. Either with the civilains he had chosen to take up residence with, or the army he had chosen to join.

Taking the easier road or simply going with the flow sometimes requires a certain level of selling out or doing things that go against your better judgement. IMO, saying we should just lay down and play for a draft pick is selling out.

In the movie, you could tell the guy was uncomfortable with the order but instead of taking a moral stand, he took the easy way out for his own self-preservation. Much like someone who acts like they know know their football by simply repeating what they hear every day in the media and believing it when the analysts and experts automatically write a team's season off as a loss. As opposed to doing actual research and formulating an opinion for yourself.

Going with the flow is easy. Standing in the face of adversity never is. If the Chiefs have mental strength and backbone as a team to stand up against said adversity, they could very well have a winning season. Sometimes genius is realised through the doubt of others.

You are working too hard. I am not going to nominate the post, so just give up.:lol:

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 07:48 PM
You are working too hard. I am not going to nominate the post, so just give up.:lol:

:lol: I'm just trying to save a little face. It was a bad anlogy, true. I got a little extreme because I have extreme feelings about this. It makes me wanna break people in half when they tell me to just lay down and take it.

Canada
09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
:lol: I'm just trying to save a little face. It was a bad anlogy, true. I got a little extreme because I have extreme feelings about this. It makes me wanna break people in half when they tell me to just lay down and take it.

I am quietly with you on this one brother!! :bananen_smilies046:

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 07:56 PM
I am quietly with you on this one brother!! :bananen_smilies046:
I appreciate your support as quiet as it may be. :bananen_smilies046:

rbedgood
09-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Great movie reference though. Love "The Patriot"...frankly Mel Gibson has only done one bad movie that I can recall, and that was the stupid one where he could hear women's thoughts...some of that one was just creepy...ooops hijack...

m0ef0e
09-14-2007, 08:01 PM

BTW, I was almost (key word here) offended by this. I know you were joking but how shallow do you think I am? :lol:

*mumbling to self* - Stupid, crappy contest...post not good enough...I'll show them....j/k :lol:

texaschief
09-14-2007, 09:11 PM
We were awefully competetive with FREE AGENTS like Priest Holmes, Willie Roaf and Trent Green. But, since they weren't our top-??? draft picks, then clearly none of those guys were good enough for you.

Trent Green and Priest Holmes were great pick ups...Roaf was not a FA. We traded Joe Horn for him...remember?...i do...i was umm...18 or 19...being young has benefits. You remember crap. That was foresight...which we are lacking now...just imagine what we could've gotten if we had kept all that cash and recieved a CB plus a couple first day picks. Oh well.

chief31
09-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Trent Green and Priest Holmes were great pick ups...Roaf was not a FA. We traded Joe Horn for him...remember?...i do...i was umm...18 or 19...being young has benefits. You remember crap. That was foresight...which we are lacking now...just imagine what we could've gotten if we had kept all that cash and recieved a CB plus a couple first day picks. Oh well.

Yeah, free-agent, or trade, we still didn't draft the guy. That is the point. Nit-pick if you feel you have to avoid the topic, but I amcoming back to it.

Play to win. If you are out of contention, then play to develop. But at 0-1, play to win. Then, even when you decide that it is time to play to develop, you still try to win, because how wise would it be to develop losers?

spiman
09-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Okay- I'm guilty too.I guess I need to drink more kool-aid. I'll think more positive about this season nobody likes to lose-(Me never) Werent we one pick away from Brady Quinn? What would we be talking about now? HUM! It's hard to bet with your heart and not your pocket book. My glasses are green colored so I really should not bet till the Minn game so the CHiefs will get used to winning. All I want for X-mas is 2 bet downs of 1 of my local teams The TRADERS.

chief31
09-15-2007, 07:46 PM
If you look at this team without the disdain for alot of the decisions they have been making, what are the player-personell differences? Will Shields left, an obvious downgrade. Damien Mcintosh arrived, a clear upgrade. Pollard and Page take over as the starting safeties, Herm Edwards obviously thinks that is an upgrade. Donnie Edwards, need I say more? Napoleon Harris could be viewed as a step forward, a step back, or a non-impact decision. The defensive line has had some big additions, with Boone, Tyler and McBride.

Larry Johnson is still the same guy, he could even improve his effort and becore a more complete back. Tony Gonzales may be getting older, but hasn't showed any signs of losing a step. We have a young couple of wideouts who look to have alot of potential.

I'll be glad to admit that my negativity towards this team are based upon a dis-liking of Herm Edwards' offensive philosophy and some of the front office decisions. Now that the season is here, I can see alot more to be hopeful for.

The notion of giving up on this team after one road loss seems silly. I'll give them more of a chance than that. If we should happen to reach 0-5, or 1-6, then I will be ready to commence with the complaining.

Ans somebody call mOefOes mamma. J/K.:lol:

spiman
09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Agreed. Lets try this thought: Lets have the fans buy the team .Hire us to run it and we can B#### slap ourselves if things go wrong! Butt, We or me r just to poor to fork over my 1/2 of mills $$$ today.I going to to hit the kool-aid now and wait and see..

Chiefster
09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
:lol:

I love this thread!