PDA

View Full Version : And the 1st pick for the 2011 NFL draft is...

Argo
07-19-2010, 06:40 PM
I know we are pretty far away and a million things could and will happen but scince im about to go crazy with the lack of news, lets try to predict and have some fun.

I say the chiefs will and should take a WR or a QB, if and ONLY if the Matt Cassel thingy goes sour.

Cheers and have a good week chief fans.
:canbeer:

stricken721
07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I know we are pretty far away and a million things could and will happen but scince im about to go crazy with the lack of news, lets try to predict and have some fun.

I say the chiefs will and should take a WR or a QB, if and ONLY if the Matt Cassel thingy goes sour.

Cheers and have a good week chief fans.
:canbeer:

Jake Locker will probably be the first pick. Though at the moment I don't know too much about the draft class, I would like to see the Chiefs pick up a LB or NT with our first pick or who knows maybe an Offensive Lineman? We haven't needed one of those for a while, we should probably think about investing in one soon.

Coach
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I think they will go after NT or LB next year as well. The Chiefs will probably struggle stopping the run this year. Hopefully the Chiefs offense is good enough that teams will be playing catch up.

KC fan 01
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I say go with one of three ppl (as of now)
I doubt KC picks in the top 10, so these are mid rounders:

1; Cameron Heyward DE, OSU.
Dude's a beast coming off the line. He gets sacks, rattles QB's, and can stop the run (Something KC needs BAD!)

2; Mike Puncey C, UF.
He's a great center and might even fit in at guard. (Center is a big hole IMO, even w/ Wieggmann coming back)

3; Christian Ponder QB, FSU
Until he seperated his shoulder last year, he showed he has the tools to get it done. (This pick should only happen IF Matt Cassel hits rock bottom this year)

Those are my 3 guys.

:chiefs:

matthewschiefs
07-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Without seeing the team this year I think that we need to go after help on the lines. Pass rush and o line. But we will see what I think after this season.

SAPHOJUNKIE
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I think they will go after NT or LB next year as well. The Chiefs will probably struggle stopping the run this year. Hopefully the Chiefs offense is good enough that teams will be playing catch up.

I'm going either Robert Quinn as a converted DE to OLB - SUPER HIGH CHARACTER and one of the best defenders in the ACC (best on his team, which may be the best defense in college football).

Him or AJ Green - the Randy Moss clone from Georgia. We all know Pioli likes those SEC players.

70 chiefsfan70
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Without seeing them play this year:

I say NT, or ILB in first round depending on best availability

QB in second

OL in third

bwilliams
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Impossible to know right now. Depends:

1. On our record
2. Whether Cassel looks like a franchise QB

My guess? If we draft top-5 again, we'll get either Andrew Luck or Jake Locker. If we draft lower, we get the best pass rusher available.

SAPHOJUNKIE
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Without seeing them play this year:

I say NT, or ILB in first round depending on best availability

QB in second

OL in third

You're assuming that Cassel doesn't work out?

Chiefster
07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I couldn't speculate on next week let alone next year.

DC_Chiefsfan
07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
At a quick glance, I would like to see us take Malcolm Floyd from ND. He looks like a true #1 WR. I still think we'll be able to lock up some good lineman and LBs after the 1st round.

tenacious
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
We will not draft a qb. Cassel is signed long term. I would love to draft Julio Jones, but I think we go defense.

stricken721
07-21-2010, 05:36 PM
We will not draft a qb. Cassel is signed long term. I would love to draft Julio Jones, but I think we go defense.

He's signed long term but all the guaranteed money is all paid out at the end of this season, so they could get rid of him with no penalty.

Chief Tyler
07-21-2010, 06:07 PM
If we're picking high we probably didn't have good quarterback play, so I'd have my heart set on Locker, Luck or Ponder at this point. If Cassel shows up this season I'd be happy with Von Miller at OLB, Michael Floyd at WR (Weis product) or an OT. I don't think we'd have a shot at getting Quinn or Heyward, if we're picking that high I'm screaming QB or bust.

70 chiefsfan70
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
You're assuming that Cassel doesn't work out?

Actually I was assuming we needed a good backup ..... but competition is good and we wont have a super bowl team without it.

Austin Avalon
07-23-2010, 12:04 AM
I was waiting to see someone mention Christian Ponder. He and Jake Locker are considered the two most NFL ready QB's in college. Living in Florida I see a lot of FSU games and this guy is good. However, I don't see us going for a QB early in the draft. Maybe late in the draft or next year.

I think we may go after o-line, d-line, or linebacker. Our o-line is still weak and getting kind of old. Vrabel might not have much left and if we can get a good middle linebacker and have him learn under Vrabel I think it could work. The d-line thing will happen if Dorsey doesn't work out this year.

KristofLaw
07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Eh, I'm bored... a few on my watch list:

1) Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
2) Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
3) Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M

rodu
07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm going to wait to see how our team turns out this year before I worry about next years draft

kckidd8870
02-07-2011, 12:20 AM
I hope Cassel proves me wrong.I dont think he is the answer.Yes he went to the Pro bowl,and yes he had an o.k season.He choked at times when we needed him.It's not all his fualt at times.I seen him miss to many wide open recievers.He has no touch on his passes.He get alittle rattled under pressure.He would be a good backup.A lot better than Brodie but not the answer.He will have to do for now.We can't get a QB in the first round.We have to many voids to fill.With this ruff schedule we have in 2011 and we go 4-12.Then we go get are QB in Luck.I really hope Cassel makes fools out of us non believers.He has the drive to be a good QB just not sure if he has the talent.He will be are starter next season,so I will be rooting for him.He is a Kansas City Chief.

chief31
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I hope Cassel proves me wrong.I dont think he is the answer.Yes he went to the Pro bowl,and yes he had an o.k season.He choked at times when we needed him.It's not all his fualt at times.I seen him miss to many wide open recievers.He has no touch on his passes.He get alittle rattled under pressure.He would be a good backup.A lot better than Brodie but not the answer.He will have to do for now.We can't get a QB in the first round.We have to many voids to fill.With this ruff schedule we have in 2011 and we go 4-12.Then we go get are QB in Luck.I really hope Cassel makes fools out of us non believers.He has the drive to be a good QB just not sure if he has the talent.He will be are starter next season,so I will be rooting for him.He is a Kansas City Chief.

Yeah. His career QB Rating is only 3.7 points higher than that of John Elway and only two points better than Troy Aikman's.

And his TD/INT ratio is only at 1.83 whereas HOF Super Bowl studs like Elway and Aikman totaled 1.33 and 1.17. But then, nobody ever accused those guys of being any good either.

Clearly, he should be a backup.:lol:

The man can play NFL QB. And, as we improve the offense around him, I have little doubt that he will continue to prove it.

matthewschiefs
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM

I for one LOVED what I saw out of Matt Cassel this past season. He Made a HUGE jump from the 2009 season. If he can make half the jump he did from a year ago then he will be among the best in the NFL. I can't wait to see what he can do next season.

matthewschiefs
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah. His career QB Rating is only 3.7 points higher than that of John Elway and only two points better than Troy Aikman's.

And his TD/INT ratio is only at 1.83 whereas HOF Super Bowl studs like Elway and Aikman totaled 1.33 and 1.17. But then, nobody ever accused those guys of being any good either.

Clearly, he should be a backup.:lol:

The man can play NFL QB. And, as we improve the offense around him, I have little doubt that he will continue to prove it.

100% agree. Matt Cassel did alot this past seaon with little. D bowe our best WR didn't even show up in some games and he still had a pretty good season. Get better talent around him and you will see a MUCH better QB.

Xanathol
02-07-2011, 11:03 PM
In the first, I only see 3 possible positions being drafted - OT, NT, WR. So with that in mind...

Option 1: If by some miracle Julio is still on the board, he's the pick. I really don't see how Kiper, McShay, etc are all ranking AJ as a possible #1 overall but Julio all over the place. Anyone who followed SEC college ball knows AJ is perhaps the more fluid but Julio is much stronger and its a debate / toss up as to which is better. If AJ is the next Moss like some say, Julio could be the next Carter or TO ( minus the attitude, I hope ).

Option 2: Pending no Julio - which is probably wishful thinking more than anything else - I'd say OT, namely, Derek Sherrod (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71754&draftyear=2011&genpos=OT). The guy performed well at Miss St. I honestly like him more than any of the other OTs but he is constantly rated behind 2-3 of them on most boards. I'm no Cassel fan, but no one is going to look too good without protection.

I really like the other thread where someone mocked Powel in the 2nd - this draft has value in rounds 2-3 for true NTs.

brdempsey69
02-08-2011, 12:47 AM
In the first, I only see 3 possible positions being drafted - OT, NT, WR. So with that in mind...

Option 1: If by some miracle Julio is still on the board, he's the pick. I really don't see how Kiper, McShay, etc are all ranking AJ as a possible #1 overall but Julio all over the place. Anyone who followed SEC college ball knows AJ is perhaps the more fluid but Julio is much stronger and its a debate / toss up as to which is better. If AJ is the next Moss like some say, Julio could be the next Carter or TO ( minus the attitude, I hope ).

Option 2: Pending no Julio - which is probably wishful thinking more than anything else - I'd say OT, namely, Derek Sherrod (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71754&draftyear=2011&genpos=OT). The guy performed well at Miss St. I honestly like him more than any of the other OTs but he is constantly rated behind 2-3 of them on most boards. I'm no Cassel fan, but no one is going to look too good without protection.

I really like the other thread where someone mocked Powel in the 2nd - this draft has value in rounds 2-3 for true NTs.

I'd be happy with either of these guys. Some Chiefs fans say that they would be up in arms if the Chiefs took a Tackle like Sherrod, but what they fail to understand is that O-Lineman are skilled players ( at least the good ones ) and can't just be "guys off the street". And you're right about Cassel not looking good without protection -- Tom Brady doesn't look good without it either -- no QB does.