PDA

View Full Version : Weis as primary play caller

#58ChiefsFan
07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I see this as one more positive heading into the new season.

While he has no where near the weapons he did in NE and I dont look for complete turn around yet, I can see Cassel being able to go to Charlie on the sideline and get help making in game adjustments.

To me it seemed like that was one of the biggest problems last year with Haley calling plays and everything else he took on. It should be interesting to see how much freedom coach Haley gives Weis.

slc chief
07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I see this as one more positive heading into the new season.

While he has no where near the weapons he did in NE and I dont look for complete turn around yet, I can see Cassel being able to go to Charlie on the sideline and get help making in game adjustments.

To me it seemed like that was one of the biggest problems last year with Haley calling plays and everything else he took on. It should be interesting to see how much freedom coach Haley gives Weis.
can anyone name some of the weapons he had in new england other than brady and no moss and welker were not on the teams starting for the patriots

matthewschiefs
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Weis is the MAIN reason that I am so looking forward to the season. He may not have been great at Noter Dame but he knew how to put points on the board. That is going to be a great thing for this team. I can't wait for the season to get here. 17 days till first preseason game.

#58ChiefsFan
07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Troy Brown was a pro bowl wide out. Deion Branch prior to his injury.

slc chief
07-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Troy Brown was a pro bowl wide out. Deion Branch prior to his injury.
he is the only one who first came to mind when i thought of it to. on the offensive side.wich should give us kc fans a big reason to be optimistic about the years to come.the fact is new england did not win there championships with a bunch of pro bowl players.and once weiss and crennel left they quit winning super bowls.they did have a good o-line though.but do not under estimate the power of good coaches and good schemes in the nfl it is half the battle

#58ChiefsFan
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
100% agreed

Hayvern
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
The only reason I have lightened up on Haley is because of his hiring of Wies and Crennell. He should never have been calling the plays last year, but he did. A first time head coach in the league should not be the guy calling plays.

I hope that it was a fluke and that he turns it around this year. I think he has three years to make it to the playoffs at this point or he will be out on his ear.

matthewschiefs
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
The only reason I have lightened up on Haley is because of his hiring of Wies and Crennell. He should never have been calling the plays last year, but he did. A first time head coach in the league should not be the guy calling plays.

I hope that it was a fluke and that he turns it around this year. I think he has three years to make it to the playoffs at this point or he will be out on his ear.

I agree about the first time coach takeing on to much. But I think in the long run it didn't really matter. We were not going to be a good team in anyway last season no matter who was calling the plays.

I was really easy on Haley last season because of the fact he walked into a mess that was made of CP on H.E. This year I EXPECT to see a MUCH better team on the field. As long as this team takes a big step forward this season I will stay on the Haley bandwagon.

brish
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM

He did it out of necessity last year..
The differences between the Gailey (I really liked him though, very creative..) and the Haley (Erhardt-Perkins) offensive systems were so big that it would have been counter-productive in the long run.

This is what I think happened anyway..
I really don't think with Pioli and Haley at the helm, any major decisions will be made without being carefully thought through first.

bbacker51
07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
It may have worked out better for Haley to call plays last year. If he wanted to see what someone was made of, call a play and put him on the spot. Then he would know if he was a keeper..........or a Bronco :beat_DeadHorse:

slc chief
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
It may have worked out better for Haley to call plays last year. If he wanted to see what someone was made of, call a play and put him on the spot. Then he would know if he was a keeper..........or a Bronco :beat_DeadHorse:
it worked out 100% better.if we would have stayed with gailey's scheme we would be that much farther behind this year.haley's and weisse's offense of philosophy intertwine with each other giving the offense the experiance from last year is no doubt going to help for this year. and we still even won 2 more games than when sp#rm was coaching

Hayvern
07-31-2010, 11:22 AM
I agree about the first time coach takeing on to much. But I think in the long run it didn't really matter. We were not going to be a good team in anyway last season no matter who was calling the plays.

I was really easy on Haley last season because of the fact he walked into a mess that was made of CP on H.E. This year I EXPECT to see a MUCH better team on the field. As long as this team takes a big step forward this season I will stay on the Haley bandwagon.

Essentially to me this means that we had two ego-maniacs at the helm and neither wanted to listen to the ideas of the other. If it truly was a situation where Haley let Gailey go because they were not eye to eye on the offense, then that does not bode well for teamwork. Haley had to make the decision he made, I still don't believe it was a good one.

This season, he will start with a clean slate with me, well maybe there is still some residue on the slate from last year and some of his seamingly stupid decisions, but hopefully he can make up for those.

tornadospotter
07-31-2010, 11:26 PM
:punk: I agree, the firing of, sorry, the leaving of the OC, one week before regular season, was stupid.
Not sure if I will agree to 3 years to make playoffs, will wait and see. But I agree, out if not there in 3.

If I see major improvements this season, I may get on the Haley bandwagon. :punk:

marloweopatchiefs
08-01-2010, 08:51 PM
So if this years team goes say 7-9 this year and 10-6 next year and just misses the playoffs you guys would want haley out?

bbacker51
08-02-2010, 05:50 PM
not me, a 10 win season would be a little slice of pigskin heaven right now, or even next season. Anything to keep herm edwards off the sidelines with a smirk on his face when his team is down 40 points.

slc chief
08-02-2010, 06:11 PM
not me, a 10 win season would be a little slice of pigskin heaven right now, or even next season. Anything to keep herm edwards off the sidelines with a smirk on his face when his team is down 40 points.

god that was annoying when he would do that. i can not even stand him as an analysis for espn

KottkeKU
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
last season was such an experiment, they were not planning on winning anything last year. it was to build a foun dation, build player development, build knowledge of what players can expect... if you think Haley was trying to win a superbowl last year your sorely mistaken. People sometimes forget that. Yes, you "play to win the game".... but not your first year as a team. Keyshawn Johnson said the exact same thing before opening day kickoff. he basically said Haley will never admit it, but that first year was just used to experiment and see what they had to work with. with a full 365 days to get his program in place, I am expecting the Chiefs to start playing to win games now...

Austin Avalon
08-02-2010, 11:39 PM
god that was annoying when he would do that. i can not even stand him as an analysis for espn

Whenever he is on I find myself saying "Why would ANYONE listen to his opinion?"

God I hate that guy. Still can't understand running screens or passes to the flat when it's 3rd and 15.

bbacker51
08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
atleast they are on the right track..........Herm had 3 "rebuilding" years and still couldn't do anything. His only good year was after his first when he was still riding vermeil's tail