PDA

View Full Version : cassel is the key

slc chief
08-03-2010, 07:08 PM
alot of us have expectations of this years team to be alot better than last years.and i think the chiefs have made huge strides in upgrading there team and coaches.but it is all going to come down to how well matt cassell can perform imo.
listening to collin cowherd this morning he picked the chiefs as a lock to win more games than four saying they could double there wins from last year.and he also stated that he loved the direction the chiefs are heading in i agree. with improvements to the o-line,wr,db's running game and the coaching staff.it is crucial for matt to step it up this year if not it is time to start looking for his replacement

windwalker
08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Sorry,

I am ticked off about what happened last year.

Pay a less than average QB to be the franchise HERO, and his numbers were crap.

The defense was better last year, and had we kept and went with Thigpen, we would hav ewon at least 4 more games for a lot less money.

Pretty soon, the Chiefs are going to be talked about in the same sentence and meaning as the Faiders.....

slc chief
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry,

The defense was better last year, and had we kept and went with Thigpen, we would hav ewon at least 4 more games for a lot less money.

Pretty soon, the Chiefs are going to be talked about in the same sentence and meaning as the Faiders.....

that is way overboard. thigpen was not close to being the answer i am not sure if he is even in the leauge anymore.cassell can be a good qb and i am expecting big improvements from him this year.even if he is not the answer that is laughable comparing this franchise to the gaiders.i guarantee the chiefs will be much better than they were last year cassell included.if he is not improved this year then we can throw him under the bus. untill then i will keep my expectations of improvement from him

#58ChiefsFan
08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
The thing a lot of people forget is that Matt only started 11 games in NE prior to coming here.

With all the chaos that was last year I can't blame him for holding the ball too long sometimes. Remember how well they played the Steelers and the donks victory.

This will be a good/great team and with the developement coaches we have now. Matt will continue to improve as will all the guys working under Weis.

I would rather pay Matt 34 mil guaranteed than have Bradford at 50? mil guaranteed with a repaired shoulder and never played an NFL down. :chiefs:

azchiefsfan
08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Cassell has proven he can be a good passer and lead a team, just look at what he did with NE. Cassell is not the key directly. The O line makes swiss cheese look solid. They all are under-performers. I hope they have worked at their craft this off season, because Cassell can't throw a pass with 4 D linemen, 2 linebackers and a pair of safeties all converging before he takes his second step. I really think anyone who would possibly blame Cassell for being overwhelmed by the defense EVERY SINGLE DOWN really doesn't have any grasp of the game.

slc chief
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Cassell has proven he can be a good passer and lead a team, just look at what he did with NE. Cassell is not the key directly. The O line makes swiss cheese look solid. They all are under-performers. I hope they have worked at their craft this off season, because Cassell can't throw a pass with 4 D linemen, 2 linebackers and a pair of safeties all converging before he takes his second step. I really think anyone who would possibly blame Cassell for being overwhelmed by the defense EVERY SINGLE DOWN really doesn't have any grasp of the game.

the 0-line has been improved (on paper anyway)we will see how they play together.and some of what cassell showed last year was not all the o-lines fault. there were times he had plenty of time in the pocket and either overthrew his receiver or held on to the ball way to long.i expect these things to be corrected by him this year and the coaches feel the same. last year was definantly a step backwards for cassell compared to his year in new england.and if he does not show definante signs of improvement on his behalf not just the o-lines i do not see haley and weiss wanting to stick with him.i think cassell will be fine this year with lots of improvemant and that we can blame last year partly on the o-line and partly on the fact he was in a new system with young players.and no running game while larry was here anyways

Three7s
08-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry,

Wow, yeah, I think you need to wake up a little bit. Thigpen was a joke and proved it during preseason.

Connie Jo
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Well, in my humble opinion...I respectively disagree that "Cassel is the key". I believe the entire team is 'the key', including coaching staff. :)

Windwalker...I don't believe Joe Montana could've put up high numbers going against all the odds Cassel had to go against last year. Lordy, we had a new GM, Head Coach, firing of the offensive coordinator, playbooks tossed out from the get go...Bowe suspended, LJ traded/fired, I could go on.

slc chief
08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Well, in my humble opinion...I respectively disagree that "Cassel is the key". I believe the entire team is 'the key', including coaching staff. :)

Windwalker...I don't believe Joe Montana could've put up high numbers going against all the odds Cassel had to go against last year. Lordy, we had a new GM, Head Coach, firing of the offensive coordinator, playbooks tossed out from the get go...Bowe suspended, LJ traded/fired, I could go on.

respected we all know there is a lot more than just cassels play that will effect this team.but if he does not play well it will be a long year. it would set us back bigtime if he does not produce .like i said i think he will improve but if he don't it could get ugly.he seems like he is going about it the right way studying film and admitting last year was not a great one acknowledging room for improvement.he seams like he is up for the challenge

Connie Jo
08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
respected we all know there is a lot more than just cassels play that will effect this team.but if he does not play well it will be a long year. it would set us back bigtime if he does not produce .like i said i think he will improve but if he don't it could get ugly.he seems like he is going about it the right way studying film and admitting last year was not a great one acknowledging room for improvement.he seams like he is up for the challenge

In that aspect I agree with you. However...If he starts playing that badly, I think they'll pull him, put in Croyle, before they let him make it a "long year".

He was looking good at camp on Sunday, and has much fewer obstacles this season than last. As it stands now, I have faith in him...for many of the reasons you noted, he's obviously very determined & dedicated to leading our Chiefs to a winning record. He was one of the few who worked towards improvement the entire off season. :)

Coach
08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
My favorite player on this team is Matt Cassel. He's a fighter and a winner.

As already mentioned, he was up against insurmountable odds last year and still won more games than Thigpen did 2008.

I have very high expectations for Cassel in 2010 and I look forward to him silencing the critics.

Chiefster
08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Cassel will be just fine.

Jimpac
08-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Enough with the negative waves! No one can go "CRAP" about last year.

There are no more whiners, cry babies or slackers on this team, have faith in the new Chiefs.

Jimpac
08-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Hermy had the team totally torn down and played Russian rue-let with the QB's. It was lucky enough any of them weren't killed with his failed time as HC.

Cassel is a stud and you can take it to the bank if he cant cut it, Brody will take it from there!

matthewschiefs
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I really think we are going to see Cassel be a break out star. If not because he has the talent to do it then theres one thing that i no that Weis can do and thats put points on the ball through the air. Maybe some will say i am being to postive but its what I think and hope will happen.

KCINNYC
08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
My favorite player on this team is Matt Cassel. He's a fighter and a winner.

As already mentioned, he was up against insurmountable odds last year and still won more games than Thigpen did 2008.

I have very high expectations for Cassel in 2010 and I look forward to him silencing the critics.

You got it my friend. Cassel is one of my favorite players as well. I root for him because of his dedication and work ethic. And so true, I am so sick of people dogging him his first year against impossible odds. Again, Haley took over the offense week one, so all the work Cassel had done in training camp was a moot point and had to start from scratch. Don't look at how many times Cassel was sacked, (which is huge) but look at how many times he was hit after the pass as well. That hurts. And he got up again and again. Not to mention we lead the league in dropped passes! Now is Cassel as talented as Peyton Manning? No. Can he go out and single handedly win a game? Probably not. But he isn't called upon to do that either. Trent Dilfer has a super bowl ring, and I would take Cassel over Dilfer any day of the week and twice on Sunday. SO------

Why all the hate?
I love the fair weather fan. Any of you remember Trent Green? Who went to the Pro Bowl?
Who we brought in to be "the man" here in KC? Remember his first year here? He was dreadful. DREADFUL! 15 TD's and 24 INT. WAY worse than Cassel. But then suddenly he gets some help...Priest (J Charles) and Dante (Dexter) and after a year under his belt, he leads one of the great offenses of all time. We were one defensive stop from the AFC Championship.

Cassel will be great. And we will laugh at those who post future threads about how good he is doing, how they were wrong all along.

Chiefs.

#58ChiefsFan
08-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Great post!

tornadospotter
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
This is Cassel's season, He is or is not, I am not yet sold on him, to me many of his passes, where not on target last season, to low, knocked down. He must prove more to me this season. Brodie, well I like Brodie's potential, but when brokie all the time, not so much. I am probably one of few, if any, who still thinks Thig, should still be a Chief.
But the job is Cassel's, Now this season, he needs to earn his salary!

Coach
08-04-2010, 11:35 PM
But the job is Cassel's, Now this season, he needs to earn his salary!

Agreed. It's time for him to step this year.

stricken721
08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
What we need is for Cassel to play like this for the next 10 years.

YouTube- ‪Trent Green Highlight Film‬‎

KCINNYC
08-05-2010, 12:55 AM

YouTube- ‪Trent Green Highlight Film‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9X40jotOQ4)

LIKE I JUST SAID.
He will.

stricken721
08-05-2010, 01:00 AM
LIKE I JUST SAID.
He will.

I agree. I was just reiterating what you said. :D

Hayvern
08-05-2010, 03:15 AM

YouTube- ‪Trent Green Highlight Film‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9X40jotOQ4)

One thing that stood out in that clip as much as how good Green played, is how good some of those catches were. I have seen Cassel deliver balls like that in the season to see them in and out of the receivers hands.

Our receivers need to put on some stickum or something.

:chiefs:

KCINNYC
08-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree. I was just reiterating what you said. :D

friends.:chiefs:

Ryfo18
08-05-2010, 09:30 AM
With Charlie's resume of developing quarterbacks (Tom Brady, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen), I have confidence Cassel will do fine this year. Say what you want about Brady Quinn, he was still an elite college QB under Weis.