PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart questions...

KCINNYC
08-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Question: Why is Derrick Johnson still 2nd team at ILB behind D. Williams? I thought DJ had done everything right this off-season according to Haley. Personally, I love Haley and I love that he only wants players that are team captains by nature, i.e. Vrabel, Berry, Dexter, Thomas Jones...etc. BUT come on. Enough of the "message" you are trying to send DJ. Throw the guy a bone! Its getting to a point where I am doubting the logic, and I am a "glass half full--everything is going to be great you'll see" fan. But seriously. Now I know its the preseason, but if Johnson is not starting against San Diego on Monday Night Sept 13, I am going to be angry.

bwilliams
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Question: Why is Derrick Johnson still 2nd team at ILB behind D. Williams? I thought DJ had done everything right this off-season according to Haley. Personally, I love Haley and I love that he only wants players that are team captains by nature, i.e. Vrabel, Berry, Dexter, Thomas Jones...etc. BUT come on. Enough of the "message" you are trying to send DJ. Throw the guy a bone! Its getting to a point where I am doubting the logic, and I am a "glass half full--everything is going to be great you'll see" fan. But seriously. Now I know its the preseason, but if Johnson is not starting against San Diego on Monday Night Sept 13, I am going to be angry.

I think the easy answer is that DJ just isn't a very good 3-4 ILB. He's a bad fit for the scheme, both physically and mentally. I'm surprised we didn't trade him to a 4-3 OLB hungry team like the Saints before the draft, and I'm still flabbergasted we didn't draft some natural 3-4 ILBs in this year's draft.

SAPHOJUNKIE
08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
You need to settle down. Anyone who is calling for the coaches to just "come on and give the guy the job" is completely missing the point.

Should we want Derrick Johnson to be the starter? Yes. But that's ONLY if he earns it.

DJ is easily one of the most athletic, talented players on the entire team. He has never played up to his potential, because he has always just done his own thing and relied on his instincts and speed. The coaches are demanding that he actually play his assignments, and he has almost admitted that never really has before.

Now that Crennel is his coach, he has no excuse for not listening - and his play has improved for it (this is why you want coaches with rings - can't argue with rings).

DJ should earn that starting spot, if he keeps up his hard work. I don't care if he's starting during the first preseason game. An interception/sack/forced fumble is just as good at the end of the game than the beginning.

I just want him to be effective, and by all appearances, Haley dangling that starting spot in front of him has motivated Johnson. Keep it up.

jacko58
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Ill be the first to say it. Derrick Johnson will start at inside linbacker, we haven't seen dj work this hard his entire career, i think will see the best dj to date at the start of this season, but look at it from haleys point of view, if dj is working harder then ever to earn a spot why just give it to him if you can keep making him earn it. Its making derrick better and that can only help the team. Just because someones working dosen't mean you just give him the top spot. I expect a rotation at all linebacker spots. will se demorio, derrick, belcher, vrabel, studebaker, hali, mays all rotating to stay fresh, i know derrick will be on the field alot and im excited to see this defense and offense its gonna be a explosive season, will be better everywhere over the past three seasons

Seek
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
From what I have heard, the depth chart really means nothing, they use it more as a motivation factor, and DW and DJ switch every practice when running with the first team.

You may very well see J. Belcher and DJ as the starters come home opener.

Pro_Angler
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I truly believe that DJ gets it.. I also believe that Haley see's it.. DJ will be a starter come San dIEGO GAME

rodu
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm more worried about Niswanger playing ahead of Wiegeman

jason1981
08-12-2010, 02:14 AM
actually im worried about both niswanger and weigman,

Seek
08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
supposedly Niswanger is the smartest player on the team, and what he may lack in physcial talent, he makes up in knowledge of the game. From what I had heard, the are in strong competition but based on Niswangers age and intelligence he is getting the nod as starter.

KCINNYC
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
supposedly Niswanger is the smartest player on the team, and what he may lack in physcial talent, he makes up in knowledge of the game. From what I had heard, the are in strong competition but based on Niswangers age and intelligence he is getting the nod as starter.

They said today Waters was taking a few snaps at center with the second team. I think that moving Waters to Center and starting Asamoah makes our offensive line stronger. Asamoah is having a stellar camp

bwilliams
08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
They said today Waters was taking a few snaps at center with the second team. I think that moving Waters to Center and starting Asamoah makes our offensive line stronger. Asamoah is having a stellar camp

I agree entirely. I admire Niswanger's heart and intelligence, but he's just too easily crushed by opposing DTs and NTs. Get Asamoah in there at LG and move Waters to C.

Seek
08-12-2010, 12:31 PM

I had heard that Lilja was having a pretty good camp too. Asamoah is the player I am most excited about drafting. I would be extremely excited if he beats our eiter Lilja or Waters.

If they are truly moving Waters to back up center That does not sound good for either Niswanger or Wiegman. We may end up seeing one of them cut.

Pro_Angler
08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I dont think they will cut either of them.. I would like to see atleast one back up kicker brought in though.

rodu
08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Good to hear Asamoah is having a good camp, the O-line needs young talent

kckidd8870
08-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't care how smart niswanger is.When he get blown up at the point off attack and gets push back two yards on almost every play.Thats not a good thing.Are you seeing the same thing I am SEEK.I hope he can improve,as I hope anyone on are team can.I just don't see Niswanger improving much.Move Waters over to center and let Asamoah start at guard.