PDA

View Full Version : Importance of preseason wins this year?

#58ChiefsFan
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
How important would you say is our need this year to begin a string of wins Friday?

The new coaching staff in place, the additions of our draft class, and a bunch of guys who basically got the butts kicked last year. I usually could care less about these games outcome other than the evaluation aspect they are meant for. This year with all the changes, the buzz from the kc fan base and where we have been last year I think they need to go for the win.

stricken721
08-11-2010, 08:54 PM
How important would you say is our need this year to begin a string of wins Friday?

The new coaching staff in place, the additions of our draft class, and a bunch of guys who basically got the butts kicked last year. I usually could care less about these games outcome other than the evaluation aspect they are meant for. This year with all the changes, the buzz from the kc fan base and where we have been last year I think they need to go for the win.

I think they're pretty important. It will build confidence in the players, and the fans that this team can win. It will show that the new coaches in place are working. Also.. Regardless of if it's regular season or pre-season, Wins = $$$ so I'm sure it's very important for them to win in the pre-season form a business standpoint. I'm pretty sure every coach wants their team to win in the pre-season. It's also a good evaluation tool for coaches.

Pro_Angler
08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
I have always evaluated the preseason by the way the 1st teams play not nessesaraly the wins and losses although the wins are a huge ego boost.

chiefnut
08-12-2010, 10:40 AM
assign NO importance whatsoever!!!!!!
it may the guys, and fans, feel better but the most important thing is for the players to play well together and no serious injuries. remember the year the pats were winless in pre season they went to the super bowl and the jets were undefeated in pre-season and struggled to win 7 games

Chiefster
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I understand the reasoning behind placing the importance on winning the preseason games, but think it is more important not to delve too deep into the play book in preseason, or risk the health of key starters just so that we can put meaningless victories in the win column. JMHO :bananen_smilies046:

If we can win in the preseason with our base offense and defense then it would be an added plus, but preseason is about finding the right 53 players; nothing more.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
While I think pre season games are important for the entire organization's confidence, I think teams use them more as a tool to evaluate depth at all positions. Teams know who the starters are for the most part unless there is an unproven (new) player to a certain position. Special teamers and possibly some defensive guys get more looks than the skill positions because most of them (except rookies) are league veterans and know the drill.

buffman316
08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
As long as they do not go 0-4 it should be all good. this is an evaluation period but we need to build a winning culture.

yashi
08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Last year we went 0-4, and then 4-12 in the regular season. So I can't say I wouldn't mind winning some preseason games, but I don't necessarily think it's all that relevant.

KCINNYC
08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think they are important either, but on the flip side I want destroy every team we face by at least 50 points.

Chiefster
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't think they are important either, but on the flip side I want destroy every team we face by at least 50 points.

All we gotta do is get the teams we face to cooperate now. :lol:

For me a win is a win; whether by one or one-hundred points. :D

Seek
08-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I think pre-season is highly important. It is important to see your starters win their battles. Maybe not scoring etc.. but they need to be winning the line of scrimmage and need to play sharp.

The 2nd and 3rd teamers need to show that if they are called up to start for an injury that they are capable. Pre-season is essentionally the NFL's Minor league. They need to show that they are ready to play.

While I agree that I would hate for the Chiefs to feel like they have to call trick plays or do something beyond simple just to win a game, but the momentum of the pre-season will carry over to the Monday night game. The last two games are more important than the first two.

Pro_Angler
08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
yes last 2 games are the most important you are right.. The players know when they have a team beat..so if the staff makes changes during the game to evaluate more talent and we end up losing..to me it doesnt matter..I can see when we have a team beat..

N TX Dave
08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
yes last 2 games are the most important you are right.. The players know when they have a team beat..so if the staff makes changes during the game to evaluate more talent and we end up losing..to me it doesnt matter..I can see when we have a team beat..
But the 3rd game the starters hardly play at all right or is that the last game? To me the win is not important it is how the starters play. Who cares if the 3rd string and guys that will not even be on the team in a few weeks can't score or stop the other team from scoring? It is only when the starters are in that I care what happens.

Seek
08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
But the 3rd game the starters hardly play at all right or is that the last game? To me the win is not important it is how the starters play. Who cares if the 3rd string and guys that will not even be on the team in a few weeks can't score or stop the other team from scoring? It is only when the starters are in that I care what happens.

Starters play most of the 3rd game and usually a sit most of the 4th, depending on how the team is playing.

matthewschiefs
08-12-2010, 02:12 PM
While I don't think that wins in the pre season is a must for most teams. For this team I think they really need to win a game or two in the preseason. It would be a big boost and give the players a good felling about what the new coaching staff is doing. But I would love a 4-0 preseason lol.

Pro_Angler
08-12-2010, 02:37 PM
if we went undefeated or even 3-1 i bet wed get more love from the networks..

KCINNYC
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM

DING DING DING. Totally. So I guess they are important after all.

Chiefster
08-13-2010, 12:43 AM

Meh.

Canada
08-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Meh.Meh.

stricken721
08-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Meh.

Meh.

Is it always about y'all? Why can't it ever be about Meh?:lol:

Pro_Angler
08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
network coverage is something we need. FA players want to go to better teams where do you think they get a lot of thier info from? Plus us as fans get more info as well..

Austin Avalon
08-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I think they are somewhat important. Like others have said, it's not the wins that matter but how the starters look. I do look at backups as well to see what type of a bench we have in case of injury.

Look at the Cowboys, the first team looks great all around but when they get to the redzone they can't score. That can come off as a problem to fans.

But still seeing a win no matter when it is feels god. I'd like to think they players see it as a morale boost but really I think the fans look more into preseason wins than the team does.

From what I've read on here sounds like our draft class has done great and we fixed some problems from last year. But hey, first game right? The coaches can now see how we handle different schemes and build around that. They'll probably gel by the third preseason game.