PDA

View Full Version : A new attitude

chabrunb@yahoo.com
09-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I think that all Chiefs fans have to have a new additude and look and this years team in a new perspective. This is the new Chiefs. They are not going to take risks they are not going to go downfield on first and ten they are going to run short pass run and if they don't make oh well. It is going to be about ball control and not making mistakes. The defense is the new corner stone in KC. In years past it was the high scoreing running and gunning offense. That is not how Herm plays. We need to be excited when the defense comes on and we KNOW big plays are coming and praying for a break when the offense comes on. There are not going to be very many 30 point games in Kanas City's future. I just hope everyone realizes this and gives the defense the same support that we have given a stellar offense in years past. I think the defense played very well against a good Bears team. The score is definatley deciveing. GD Devin Hester, but what you going to do? KC just needs to quit shooting themselves in the foot. A touchdown called back for and Illegal shift, give me a break. That is something that should be automatic. That should have never happened. Penaltys and turnovers are what stoped a KC win tonight. They have all the tallent, they just need to put it together.

Canada
09-16-2007, 11:10 PM
I have no fear when the defense comes out on the field, I just wish the coaching staff would let the offense play to its potential.

chabrunb@yahoo.com
09-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Offense would have been more than enough in both games say for umpteen droped passes, fumbles, third and short penaltys, touchdown called back on a beauitful play. Chiefs offense looks 10times worse that it acutally is. Take away all the un-characteristic mistakes and KC is 2-0

timsatt1
09-16-2007, 11:39 PM
I think that all Chiefs fans have to have a new additude and look and this years team in a new perspective. This is the new Chiefs. They are not going to take risks they are not going to go downfield on first and ten they are going to run short pass run and if they don't make oh well. It is going to be about ball control and not making mistakes. The defense is the new corner stone in KC. In years past it was the high scoreing running and gunning offense. That is not how Herm plays. We need to be excited when the defense comes on and we KNOW big plays are coming and praying for a break when the offense comes on. There are not going to be very many 30 point games in Kanas City's future. I just hope everyone realizes this and gives the defense the same support that we have given a stellar offense in years past. I think the defense played very well against a good Bears team. The score is definatley deciveing. GD Devin Hester, but what you going to do? KC just needs to quit shooting themselves in the foot. A touchdown called back for and Illegal shift, give me a break. That is something that should be automatic. That should have never happened. Penaltys and turnovers are what stoped a KC win tonight. They have all the tallent, they just need to put it together.

What a bull**** post. If a team sucks at offense, the easiest thing for a coach to say is that "we are focusing on our defense."

Whoever said defense wins games is full of ****

it is the combination of defense and offense that wins games, not defense and not offense. You have to be GREAT on both sides of the ball. Conservative play will never get you far.

who was the last team that did well in the playoffs playing conservative?

Chiefs need to start Brody, start mixing up play calling on first down, and start throwing deep passes.

The Chiefs defense is not good enough to win games like the Bears defense won so many games last year.

anaeelbackwards
09-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Chiefs need to start Brody, start mixing up play calling on first down, and start throwing deep passes.

AMEN to that one. Mix it in with running LJ on 3rd downs. And as for deep passes, that's what we drafted D. BOWE for right? He is the starting receiver if im not correct.

and not to forget TONYGUN......

THROW THAT BALL!

timsatt1
09-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Offense would have been more than enough in both games say for umpteen droped passes, fumbles, third and short penaltys, touchdown called back on a beauitful play. Chiefs offense looks 10times worse that it acutally is. Take away all the un-characteristic mistakes and KC is 2-0

these are the excuses i cannot stand. we did what we did. i am sure the bears can look back at little stuff like that.

that is the wrong way to look at a game. cause every game is like this. the key is WE DID jack up on the little things.

Chiefster
09-16-2007, 11:48 PM
What a bull**** post. If a team sucks at offense, the easiest thing for a coach to say is that "we are focusing on our defense."

it is the combination of defense and offense that wins games, not defense and not offense. You have to be GREAT on both sides of the ball. Conservative play will never get you far.

The Chiefs defense is not good enough to win games like the Bears defense won so many games last year.

Easy there Sea Biscuit.

Agreed; it does take solid play on both sides of the ball.

And, to answer your question: the 2000 Ravens; I think they were SB Champs that year IIRC.

timsatt1
09-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Easy there Sea Biscuit.

And, to answer your question: the 2000 Ravens; I think they were SB Champs that year IIRC.

ok ravens. they were studs. we are not studs on defense. we are just a good defense, not a great defense.

my plan that i am proposing will give us a shot to win many games this year. It is quiet different from the plan used in the first two games and last year's playoff game.

It involves mixing up plays (like normal teams do) and having balance in everything from running and passing, to relying on defense and relying on offense.

If the Chiefs were an offensive powerhouse that had terrible defenses and lost many games 35 to 42....at least they would be fun to watch....but a losing team that focuses on defense? WOW!!!!!! i would rather twittle my thumbs than watch that **** ball. The game is more than just W and L it is also to provide entertainment. So if you are going to be a losing team, you should at least throw some entertainment in there every once in a while, maybe pass the ball for more than 10 yards, i know that sounds crazy to do, but maybe try it sometime.

Canada
09-17-2007, 12:14 AM
ok ravens. they were studs. we are not studs on defense. we are just a good defense, not a great defense.

my plan that i am proposing will give us a shot to win many games this year. It is quiet different from the plan used in the first two games and last year's playoff game.

It involves mixing up plays (like normal teams do) and having balance in everything from running and passing, to relying on defense and relying on offense.

If the Chiefs were an offensive powerhouse that had terrible defenses and lost many games 35 to 42....at least they would be fun to watch....but a losing team that focuses on defense? WOW!!!!!! i would rather twittle my thumbs than watch that **** ball. The game is more than just W and L it is also to provide entertainment. So if you are going to be a losing team, you should at least throw some entertainment in there every once in a while, maybe pass the ball for more than 10 yards, i know that sounds crazy to do, but maybe try it sometime.

I like defensive football. I agree that it would be nice to score more points in a game, but I would rather see the Chiefs D takin heads off then watching two guys play catch. Defensive football is not "****" look at the Chiefs of the 90's

rbedgood
09-17-2007, 12:14 AM

Very true, but dont' forget special teams...special teams was essentially the difference today. Herm tries to play a "field position" game, which works great if you can master defense and special teams. And it is more than having a special returner (i.e. Hester), it is also installing an attitude on your special teams group of success, aggressiveness and intelligent play. Keep to your lanes, block like it counts and hold the line.

Chicago and Baltimore for the past few years have shown you can win without an offense, but you have to control the other 2 facets of the game.

TheLateGreat#58Fan
09-17-2007, 12:48 AM
I like defensive football. I agree that it would be nice to score more points in a game, but I would rather see the Chiefs D takin heads off then watching two guys play catch. Defensive football is not "****" look at the Chiefs of the 90's

Agreed on the defensive football part, and I almost got emotional thinking about the defenses we used to bring to the field. We used to hit people in the mouth, get after the QB, and we always lead the leaguein the turnover battle- obviously that wasnt the end all be all. But we need some balance, we obviously cant change the teams play calling or personel choices- as disgruntled as we may be. We didnt look to bad today- we just seemed to make every crucial mistake we could. Take thatilligal shift penalty back and we might have a different perspective.
I am just trying to keep a little hope and optimism alive
Lets go KC

rbedgood
09-17-2007, 01:00 AM
One point of optimism, LJ did put up 50 yards on the Bears (or double what LT did). The result wasn't as nice, but I think that goes to special teams more than anything. The KC defense was stout, the offense was basic, but considering the defense they were facing they were decent. The problem is Hester averaged 28 yards per punt return and Drummond averaged 7...that's a 20 yard differential in field position.

Chiefster
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM

Agreed that I, too, like the entertainment value, but more then that I want them to win. If all I wanted was entertainment then I have a bunch of football movies I can pop into the DVD player and watch. I thought that the DT and Smith bookends of the 90's were quite entertaining.

...Agreed about mixing it up BTW. :)

Canada
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
One point of optimism, LJ did put up 50 yards on the Bears (or double what LT did). The result wasn't as nice, but I think that goes to special teams more than anything. The KC defense was stout, the offense was basic, but considering the defense they were facing they were decent. The problem is Hester averaged 28 yards per punt return and Drummond averaged 7...that's a 20 yard differential in field position.

21 :lol: Special teams definitely killed us today

rbedgood
09-17-2007, 01:07 AM
You're right...21, I was rounding off it's actually 21.3 if you want to be really picky.

Canada
09-17-2007, 01:12 AM
You're right...21, I was rounding off it's actually 21.3 if you want to be really picky.
:lol: :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
09-17-2007, 01:13 AM

:bananen_smilies046::drunkhb::toast2:

Canada
09-17-2007, 01:14 AM
OK OK I get it!!

wolfpack
09-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Easy there Sea Biscuit.

the ravens? thats it. give me an offense that isnt affraid to attack. whats the saying?, the best defense is a good offense. ask the bears or even us.our offense is just affraid to attack. how many times did we throw downfield sunday? at least try. but haurd cant throw down field,brodie can. at the rate huard is passing to wilson he`ll have 150 catches for a grand total of 100 yards.

Chiefster
09-17-2007, 10:42 AM
the ravens? thats it. give me an offense that isnt affraid to attack. whats the saying?, the best defense is a good offense. ask the bears or even us.our offense is just affraid to attack. how many times did we throw downfield sunday? at least try. but haurd cant throw down field,brodie can. at the rate huard is passing to wilson he`ll have 150 catches for a grand total of 100 yards.

Yes, I was merely answering his question.

Actually, the saying is the best offense is a good defense.

sling58
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Devin Hester beat us this week. take away everything that Hester did and the score would be 10-10. He ran that one back 7 poins and ran one back for field goal range 3 points. If our special teams would have played better than it would have been 10-10. The positves are there. the d played great, one gave up one TD and the offense improved. I was happier this week than I was last week by al means. We showed improvement which is great.

chief31
09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
As far as the special teams discussion, I agree, 100 percent. Maybe if the Chiefs had a guy who was known for his game-changing ability, ( what's the second name that comes to mind...Dante Hall, maybe?) or if they were better tacklers, overall, or maybe if we had a dependable kicker, (The New York Giants have a pretty good one.) then we would be able to put some points on the board, when our offense is playing to make the defensive stats look good.

Alot of people wanted Hall to leave, now we have no threat to score, at all.

Now, the Baltimore Ravens... That team was a one-in-a million. It would have been more common for that kind of team to win, twenty-thirty years ago. But, with the NFL changing rules, annually, to further assist offenses, it becomes less and less likely that that kind of team will be a true competitor. What have the Ravens done, since that Super Bowl? They have done everything they can, to improve the offense and still haven't been back.

The nineties Chiefs, again, were in a different era. With the rules of the game today, offense is being handed all of the advantages, making it less likely that a team who has a great defense, with a weak offense, could be a champion.

I don't want the Chiefs to be the best team that was around, thirty years ago. I want them to be the best team around, right now, tommorrow and the next day, as well.

sling58
09-17-2007, 02:33 PM
As far as the special teams discussion, I agree, 100 percent. Maybe if the Chiefs had a guy who was known for his game-changing ability, ( what's the second name that comes to mind...Dante Hall, maybe?) or if they were better tacklers, overall, or maybe if we had a dependable kicker, (The New York Giants have a pretty good one.) then we would be able to put some points on the board, when our offense is playing to make the defensive stats look good.

Alot of people wanted Hall to leave, now we have no threat to score, at all.

Now, the Baltimore Ravens... That team was a one-in-a million. It would have been more common for that kind of team to win, twenty-thirty years ago. But, with the NFL changing rules, annually, to further assist offenses, it becomes less and less likely that that kind of team will be a true competitor. What have the Ravens done, since that Super Bowl? They have done everything they can, to improve the offense and still haven't been back.

The nineties Chiefs, again, were in a different era. With the rules of the game today, offense is being handed all of the advantages, making it less likely that a team who has a great defense, with a weak offense, could be a champion.

I don't want the Chiefs to be the best team that was around, thirty years ago. I want them to be the best team around, right now, tommorrow and the next day, as well.

Agreed, double agreed, and triple agreed!!!!

hermhater
09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Maybe Frank Ganz can come back and coach our special teams.

Hehehe.

rbedgood
09-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes, I was merely answering his question.

Actually, the saying is the best offense is a good defense.

Chiefster, stick with your instincts, you had the saying right the first time..."The best defense is a good offense". In other words the best defense is an offense that keeps your defense on the sideline.