PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated/Overrated Players in the NFL?

Scout200
08-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Out of all the players in the NFL, who are the most overrated and underrated and why?

-Scout

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c76cf8fe9f&view=att&th=12a5cf6512f9a70b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gcp04elv0&zw

figcrostic
08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Out of all the players in the NFL, who are the most overrated and underrated and why?

-Scout

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/08/35.jpg
Just off the top of my head
overrated
Eli Manning
Matt Cassel
Terrel Owens

underrated
Jason Campbell
Jamaal Charles
Derick Johnson
Tyler Thigpen

slc chief
08-24-2010, 08:32 PM
overrated
Eli Manning
Matt Cassel
Terrel Owens

underrated
Jason Campbell
Jamaal Charles
Derick Johnson
Tyler Thigpen

are you serious
eli superbowl ring
cassell nobody has crowned him and said he is an awesome qb yet
terrell owens is going to the h.o.f on his stats alone
this is the comical part
jason campbell underated
tyler thigpen what are you smoking /drinking

Drunker Hillbilly
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
overrated
Eli Manning
Matt Cassel
Terrel Owens

underrated
Jason Campbell
Jamaal Charles
Derick Johnson
Tyler Thigpen
Thanks!!!!! I needed a laugh this afternoon!!! :yahoo:

figcrostic
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks!!!!! I needed a laugh this afternoon!!! :yahoo:

I love you and the other guy don't even respond to the Thread starters question please get off my nuts for one second.

figcrostic
08-24-2010, 09:20 PM
are you serious
eli superbowl ring
cassell nobody has crowned him and said he is an awesome qb yet
terrell owens is going to the h.o.f on his stats alone
this is the comical part
jason campbell underated
tyler thigpen what are you smoking /drinking

That's what I think at least I'm man enough to put it instead of just running mouth and S'ing on peoples post. I think Terrel is overated as of now, I think Eli Manning is good but he's put in the mix with Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and his brother and I don't think he is at that level, Jason Campbell is better then people give him credit for he's not great but not ****e either same with Thigpen.

slc chief
08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
overrated
.chad ocho cinco=shut down by revis when it counted and his numbers are not h.o.f fame like he believes they are

.reggie bush=can not run between
the tackle he has a superbowl ring but two other rb's had to help him.charles will show him how a real quick pace back does it
.shawn merriman=he is as hollywood as they come he had one awesome season since then mediociracy

mark sanchez everyone thinks he is the golden boy but in reality he rode a great defenses back to the afc championship

underated

.jamaal charles=he will not be underated after this yearhe is a beast chris johnson like back

stephen jackson=all he does is produce unfortanantly he plays for a crappy team and gets the injury bug now and then

jerome harrison=as good as porter but never got as much recognition

joe flacco=gonna be a stud qb for years to come

Connie Jo
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM

-Scout

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/08/35.jpg

I'll mention the first two that came to thought when reading your question. Most under-rated would be Trent Green...as well as Otis Taylor. Most over-rated would be Peyton Manning. I'm not necessarily basing those opinions on stats alone, but Greens positive stats were definitely ignored during his peak seasons. He rated higher in stats than Peyton Manning in both 2003 & 2005 if memory is correct. However, Manning was the media golden boy even back then.

PS: I do realize other than Manning, Green & Taylor are past NFL stars, but they're who come to mind first as being under-rated. :)

matthewschiefs
08-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Overated
by themselfs T.o ochocinco They rate therselfs way to highly
Tony Romo
By the media call me crazy but Peyton manning hes a great hall of fame Qb but sometimes the media gives him far to much credit.

underrated
Thomas Jones I thought this before he was a chief he quitely gets the job done.

Connie Jo
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Overated
by themselfs T.o ochocinco They rate therselfs way to highly
Tony Romo
By the media call me crazy but Peyton manning hes a great hall of fame Qb but sometimes the media gives him far to much credit.

underrated
Thomas Jones I thought this before he was a chief he quitely gets the job done.

That's why I think of Peyton when I think of being over-rated...it's as if there is no other QB in the NFL but Peyton, hell...I don't think even Montana was put on the pedestal Manning has been put on.

Manning is good, but he throws alot of interceptions too, and he also allows his frustration with teammates & others to affect his game at times. He strikes me as being a big spoiled rotten baby when he displays frustration with teammates on the field. He's intentionally showing frustration to let those watching know...it wasn't my fault, it was my teammates fault I threw that interception, or overthrew the ball, whatever.

matthewschiefs
08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
That's why I think of Peyton when I think of being over-rated...it's as if there is no other QB in the NFL but Peyton, hell...I don't think even Montana was put on the pedestal Manning has been put on.

Manning is good, but he throws alot of interceptions too, and he also allows his frustration with teammates & others to affect his game at times. He strikes me as being a big spoiled rotten baby when he displays frustration with teammates on the field. He's intentionally showing frustration to let those watching know...it wasn't my fault, it was my teammates fault I threw that interception, or overthrew the ball, whatever.

I have been called crazy or told that I just hate him for saying stuff like this for years. When ESPN starts talking about him I have to turn it off. And when they put him in the best of all time talk I roll my eyes. And at least one of his MVP awards I though was a gift from the media. Like the one a couple of years ago. They would talk like he bounced back from a rough start I would be like so now your rewarding the guy for haveing a bad start.

The best of all time would have a much better recored in the post season. Manning has a long history of haveing trouble winning the big games. I just think the media makes him out to be far better then what he is And don't give the credit to some of his teamates

slc chief
08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
That's what I think at least I'm man enough to put it instead of just running mouth and S'ing on peoples post. I think Terrel is overated as of now, I think Eli Manning is good but he's put in the mix with Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and his brother and I don't think he is at that level, Jason Campbell is better then people give him credit for he's not great but not ****e either same with Thigpen.

my list is right below yours.i am glad you are man enough to post something on the internet proud of ya.dont take it personal i just thought thigpen and campbell were laughable choices as being underated.they have proved nothing in the nfl

Connie Jo
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I have been called crazy or told that I just hate him for saying stuff like this for years. When ESPN starts talking about him I have to turn it off. And when they put him in the best of all time talk I roll my eyes. And at least one of his MVP awards I though was a gift from the media. Like the one a couple of years ago. They would talk like he bounced back from a rough start I would be like so now your rewarding the guy for haveing a bad start.

The best of all time would have a much better recored in the post season. Manning has a long history of haveing trouble winning the big games. I just think the media makes him out to be far better then what he is And don't give the credit to some of his teamates

Yep! I know how ya feel! Heck, if memory is correct, he threw 4 interceptions in the playoff game against KC in 2007??The year the Chiefs were considered out of the playoffs more or less, but then by surprise with all elements falling into place were lucky getting a wild card spot.

Chiefs also didn't show up to play, or so it appeared. I'll never forget seeing Herm Edwards on the sidelines laughing & my thinking...WTF are you laughing about, you should be pissed...this is a playoff game and our team is playing horrible! 4 interceptions by Manning, other turnovers...and we lost??????? PFFFFTTTT! If ever a playoff game was thrown intentionally...this one would be my first suspect. All fell into place almost too perfectly for Manning & Dungy that year. The Colts really didn't play Super Bowl caliber, just were damn lucky.

Ryfo18
08-24-2010, 10:56 PM
I always thought that Andre Johnson was one of the most underrated players in the NFL (and admittedly have a huge man crush on him), but I can't really say that he is anymore. It was mostly because you never heard about him though, not the show boating kind.

Other players I feel are underrated:
Wes Welker
Owen Daniels
Steve Smith (CAR)

Players that are overrated:
Ochocinco (though I happen to like his antics at times, it's humorous)
Rashard Mendenhall
Jay Cutler

slc chief
08-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I always thought that Andre Johnson was one of the most underrated players in the NFL (and admittedly have a huge man crush on him), but I can't really say that he is anymore. It was mostly because you never heard about him though, not the show boating kind.

Wes Welker
Owen Daniels
Steve Smith (CAR)

Rashard Mendenhall
Jay Cutler

that is a good list i forgot about steve smith

Pro_Angler
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
most all our 1st rd picks the last 6 years

Ryfo18
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Wes Welker
Owen Daniels
Steve Smith (CAR)

Rashard Mendenhall
Jay Cutler

Matt Schaub is pretty underrated too....Hell, I might as well have said the whole Texans passing offense haha.

I forgot to say Brandon Flowers also.

jwill 747
08-25-2010, 12:18 AM
overrated Mark Sanchez Reggie Bush... underrated jammal charles Mike wallace

brdempsey69
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Had to get in on this:

OVERRATED

Current players:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Eli Manning
3. Chad Ochocinco

Past Players:
1. John Elway
2. John Elway
3. And that buck-toothed, turd-out-of-the-back-pocket-pulling, crybaby son of a b!tch named John Elway.
( didn't win any Super Bowls -- had them given to him by the league office as a going away present. )

UNDERRATED PLAYERS

Current players:
1. Donald Driver WR -- don't hear much about him, but he's been a great WR for a decade.
2. Tamba Hali -- plays hard all the time.

Past players:
1. Jim Marshall DE -- played 20 years , but not in HOF -- yet a big, crybaby sissy like Elway is.
2. Otis Taylor WR -- also not in HOF, but no WR who ever played was tougher to tackle -- I watched him drag 3 - 4 defenders many times for extra yards when any other WR would have been stopped.

CORRECTLY RATED PLAYER:

Joe Montana -- Best Ever !!

Connie Jo
08-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Had to get in on this:

OVERRATED

Current players:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Eli Manning
3. Chad Ochocinco

Past Players:
1. John Elway
2. John Elway
3. And that buck-toothed, turd-out-of-the-back-pocket-pulling, crybaby son of a b!tch named John Elway.
( didn't win any Super Bowls -- had them given to him by the league office as a going away present. )

UNDERRATED PLAYERS

Current players:
1. Donald Driver WR -- don't hear much about him, but he's been a great WR for a decade.

Past players:
1. Jim Marshall DE -- played 20 years , but not in HOF -- yet a big, crybaby sissy like Elway is.
2. Otis Taylor WR -- also not in HOF, but no WR who ever played was tougher to tackle -- I watched him drag 3 - 4 defenders many times for extra yards when any other WR would have been stopped.

CORRECTLY RATED PLAYER:

REP!!!!!
:yahoo:

Although I agree with you overall, I specifically want to reply relating to your mention of Otis Taylor. To this day I become angry over Otis Taylor not being in the NFL HOF!! I can't count the number of petitions I participated in over the years attempting to get Otis the recognition he deserves...inducted into the HOF!! It's not fair, nor right...that a WR of the 1960's early 70's era, be compared in stats/records to those of more recent and/or current era. It's a totally different ball game in too many ways to mention!

I had the honor of meeting Otis a few years ago, and it was truly one of the most honorable experiences I've had related to my Chiefs. I'm so grateful & blessed to have had that opportunity. :)

Chiefster
08-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Had to get in on this:

OVERRATED

Current players:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Eli Manning
3. Chad Ochocinco

Past Players:
1. John Elway
2. John Elway

UNDERRATED PLAYERS

Current players:

Past players:

CORRECTLY RATED PLAYER:

rbedgood, is that you??? j/k :D

I agree BTW!

stricken721
08-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Most overrated player in my mind is Troy Aikman. Had it not been for Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith he wouldn't have any Super Bowl rings. He never went over 3500 yards in a season and the most TD's he had in a single season was 23. Had it not been for his Rings and Super Bowl MVP he would not have made it into the HOF on stats alone.

Most underrated player? Donnie Edwards. This man had 10 straight seasons with 100+ tackles and 9 of those he had over 120. He also had 23.5 sacks and 28 interceptions. With those kind of stats he only made one pro bowl.. and that was an alternate.

stricken721
08-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Some more food for thought on my previous post from 1996 - 2007 Donnie Edwards only missed 2 games. We need more than two hands to count the games Aikman missed.

Pro_Angler
08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
honestly Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers are currently and maybe the most over rated players in history!! thwese guys aint crap and they get put on a peddlestool like the elit? trent Green was 3 times as good a QB and never got the love hes my most under rated.

chief31
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Overrated (current) - Adrian Peterson (History) - Deion Sanders

Unerrated (Current) - Peyton Manning (History) - Rod Woodson

NWA Chief
08-25-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't think Phillip Rivers is overrated. I don't like him, but he can throw the rock and he has been really good. The stats don't lie, even though I don't like the guy.

Overrated: Chad Ochocinco
Antonio Cromartie
Haynesworth (only in the 3-4)
David Garrard
Tebow (can't get enough?)
Mark Sanchez

Underrated: Tony Richardson
Most Offensive Lineman
Demorrio Williams
Eric Weddle

I tried to keep the KC players out of this because it would be a huge debate in my opinion. The most underrated guy in my head is Eric Weddle. The dude is smart and athletic. Not the fastest or strongest but he's a player.

bwilliams
08-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Most overrated: Brett Favre - never has any player ever had a more overrated career

Most underrated: Hines Ward - the best all-around WR of the 2000s and never gets the credit he deserves

AussieChiefsFan
08-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Peyton manning is underrated??

AussieChiefsFan
08-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Underrated
-Jamaal Charles
-Thomas Jones

Overrated
-Chad Occocinco
-Not really sure who else but I think Matt Ryan and Michael Turner are a little bit overrated.

AkChief49
08-26-2010, 12:06 PM

I agree. Deion would not(could not?) tackle. Adrian, like Larry a few years back, has a line most dream of to run behind.

Most overrated: Brett Favre - never has any player ever had a more overrated career

Most underrated: Hines Ward - the best all-around WR of the 2000s and never gets the credit he deserves

Cannot totally agree with B.Favre. His longevity and games started streak have to count for something. The "am I playing or am I not" routine gets old.

100% agree with you here. Hines can catch, block. No "quit" in him. Bowe was regarded as a "poor man's" Hines Ward when he was drafted. Hope he works toward that end.

Ryfo18
08-26-2010, 12:39 PM

Gotta agree with you on Hines Ward. This guy is a beast and continues to produce consistently each and every year, even at 34 years old.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Man, I'm not exactly sure I can come up with the most underrated/overrated player in history without some real thought. There's an awful lot of players to choose from.

whatwasthat?
08-26-2010, 06:06 PM
overrated:
albert haynesworth

tim tebow

mark sanchez

underrated:
nnamdi asomugha (gets no love because hes a raider)

brandon flowers

steven jackson

felix jones (dallas wont give him a real shot as a starter but hes still young)

aaron rodgers (elite QB still living in favre's shadow)

Scout200
08-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Some more food for thought on my previous post from 1996 - 2007 Donnie Edwards only missed 2 games.

Wow, that's incredible!!

Seek
08-27-2010, 02:29 PM
overrated
Eli Manning
Matt Cassel
Terrel Owens

underrated
Jason Campbell
Jamaal Charles
Derick Johnson
Tyler Thigpen

I agree that Eli is over rated. He is not a top 5 QB but some people think he is. He is a good QB, but not great like some thing. superbowl ring or not.

Cassel isn't rated. I don't think anyone is over rating him. I think a majority of the people believe he is a tweener between a low end starter and a high end back up. most just hope with more weapons he will be an average Qb.

Screw TO.

I agree with Campbell. It bothers me that he went to the Raiders it really does.

I think J. Charles gets more attention than you think. I think Haley knows this too, but just got off shoulder surgery and will make sure Charles gets his shot. He is still Green. The on problem with Charles, is what happens when starts getting older and slower. His speed is what makes him so good. Once he loses a step he will drop quickly. (But that could be said about most RB)

I used to be a huge DJ fan. I do know that he is not under rated in a 3-4. He may be under rated on some other team.

I really like Thigpen and hated to see him traded over Brodie. Fact of the matter, he wasn't worth a poop under center, but I hope he develops.

My biggest over rated player is Steven Jackson. He has never impressed me when watching him. The announcer just love him more than anything have seen.

I tend to think Tamba is under rated. He just dosen't get much love from the media or announcers.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree that Eli is over rated. He is not a top 5 QB but some people think he is. He is a good QB, but not great like some thing. superbowl ring or not.

Cassel isn't rated. I don't think anyone is over rating him. I think a majority of the people believe he is a tweener between a low end starter and a high end back up. most just hope with more weapons he will be an average Qb.

Screw TO.

I agree with Campbell. It bothers me that he went to the Raiders it really does.

I think J. Charles gets more attention than you think. I think Haley knows this too, but just got off shoulder surgery and will make sure Charles gets his shot. He is still Green. The on problem with Charles, is what happens when starts getting older and slower. His speed is what makes him so good. Once he loses a step he will drop quickly. (But that could be said about most RB)

I used to be a huge DJ fan. I do know that he is not under rated in a 3-4. He may be under rated on some other team.

I really like Thigpen and hated to see him traded over Brodie. Fact of the matter, he wasn't worth a poop under center, but I hope he develops.

My biggest over rated player is Steven Jackson. He has never impressed me when watching him. The announcer just love him more than anything have seen.

I tend to think Tamba is under rated. He just dosen't get much love from the media or announcers.

Thanks Why does everyone hate Campbell so much? He played on a bad team he wasn't bad he is very mobile has a strong arm and good accuracy what's not to like.

Seek
08-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks Why does everyone hate Campbell so much? He played on a bad team he wasn't bad he is very mobile has a strong arm and good accuracy what's not to like.

In all honesty. He is a lot like Cassel. He has the potention to be really good and shows it on the field, but then does something leaving you wondering what is up.

Just the fact he is a huge upgrade over Russell bothers me, becuase there was games where Russel just sucks so bad we hung in there.

chief31
08-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Peyton manning is underrated??

Yep. He IS The Colts. No running game, no pass blocking and five-foot WRs?

While I hate him in ways.... Peyton Manning for the win.

Man, I'm not exactly sure I can come up with the most underrated/overrated player in history without some real thought. There's an awful lot of players to choose from.

I didn't bother. Just picked a couple that I was able to think of right away. :D

MDChiefs!
08-28-2010, 12:03 PM
DJ has been the world most inconsistent LB since he came here, and now that we switched to the 3-4 it shows even worse. Hes good in coverage because of his athleticism, but this guy is worthless against the run. Because of his inability to shed blocks, and get off his blocker he has only managed to wrap up the ball carrier twice this entire preseason.

If anything DJ is (still) way overrated. As far as Chiefs, im putting Thomas Jones as underrated. Everyone acted like we were going to die when we signed him because he would be taking carries away from JC, but this guy has rushed for over 1100 yards in the last 5 seasons and can only help make Charles better when he is on the field

overrated
Eli Manning
Matt Cassel
Terrel Owens

underrated
Jason Campbell
Jamaal Charles
Derick Johnson
Tyler Thigpen

Scout200
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Personally speaking, I believe that Vernon Davis is underrated.. he has some mad skills and doesn't get the credit he deserves!!

-Scout