PDA

View Full Version : Who is in charge of the DRAFT?

turner_robert
08-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Since we lost Carl Petterson we have had some of the worst drafts I have ever seen in my 10 years of being a Chiefs fan.

2009 NFL Draft we passed on:
1. Brian Orakpo
2. Aaron Curry
3. Brian Cushing
All of these players where available in the later first round. If we would have traded down we could have picked up a second. This is the year we had no second.

2010 NFL Draft we passed on:
1.Russell Okung
2. Rolando McClain
3. Sean Weatherspoon
We could have traded down on the the last 2 and picked up a 3rd 2nd rounder and would have had a butt load of players to choose from.

Instead we select Eric Berry the highest drafted safety in the history of the NFL and then payed him more then any other S ever in the history of the NFL. Are we trying to break the all-time stupidest transaction records or what. Honestly Chiefs fans what can we say for ourselves we drafted a safety when we had two good safeties, A CB named arenas who was only picked up because of his return ability we couldn't get that in the 4th round? We picked up a RB who is now a slot receiver and flanker???
Whats your thought on all this?

matthewschiefs
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
It's far to early to talk about either draft. I was not 100% behind the pick of Berry at the time. But you have to give the rookies this year at least a chance to play one Real NFL down before you can start saying that the draft was a waste or not.

bwilliams
08-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I am not a fan of either draft, but you're being unfair when you say we could have just traded down. I doubt there was any GM desperately trying to trade up these past two years.

FWIW, I think Raji in 2009 and Okung in 2010 were the way to go in the 1st.

Chief Tyler
08-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Since we lost Carl Petterson we have had some of the worst drafts I have ever seen in my 10 years of being a Chiefs fan.

1. Brian Orakpo
2. Aaron Curry
3. Brian Cushing
All of these players where available in the later first round. If we would have traded down we could have picked up a second. This is the year we had no second.

1.Russell Okung
2. Rolando McClain
3. Sean Weatherspoon
We could have traded down on the the last 2 and picked up a 3rd 2nd rounder and would have had a butt load of players to choose from.

Instead we select Eric Berry the highest drafted safety in the history of the NFL and then payed him more then any other S ever in the history of the NFL. Are we trying to break the all-time stupidest transaction records or what. Honestly Chiefs fans what can we say for ourselves we drafted a safety when we had two good safeties, A CB named arenas who was only picked up because of his return ability we couldn't get that in the 4th round? We picked up a RB who is now a slot receiver and flanker???

I'll bite with the 2009 draft. I'm super disappointed with Jackson right now, especially considering he's been demoted (whether it's permanent we'll find out, but Gilberry looks better). Pairing Orakpo with Hali would be a scary thought or maybe Raji could have offered that big nose tackle that we so desperately need. Aaron Curry has played below expectations and Cushing wasn't considered an option, besides he's a cheater. In the end though, hindsight is 20/20. Too bad the Chiefs don't fork out cash for amateur evaluations after the fact.

With the 2010 draft, you shouldn't much much, if anything to complain about right now. The season is early but Berry is playing to expectations and maybe more. I haven't looked into McClain, but Weatherspoon isn't playing to the level that Berry is. Also, the chances of receiving decent compensation for high draft picks at this point is pretty slim, a second rounder would never have happened. The second rounders we have are playing like future superstars, which is more than most teams can say, and just about every other draft pick is showing some sort of promise unlike last years class with guys like Brown and O'Connel.

slc chief
08-25-2010, 11:54 PM

1. Brian Orakpo
2. Aaron Curry
3. Brian Cushing

1.Russell Okung
2. Rolando McClain
3. Sean Weatherspoon

to early to decide on either draft class. and if any team had a crystal ball on who would perform and who would be injury free they would be a sb team year in and out.the knocking of eric berry is is way to pre mature. he is going to be a beast. did you watch the tampa bay game where he shut the run down.he will be a pro bowl player he is a young kid who gets it.does nothing but study film and has all of the talent in the world.strives to be a great player not mediocre player very solid pick by the chiefs.i dont care how much he is paid as long as he performs and he will

brdempsey69
08-26-2010, 12:37 AM
FWIW, I think Raji in 2009 and Okung in 2010 were the way to go in the 1st.

I agree with this. Not to knock Eric Berry, but he's not the 2nd coming of Joe Montana in his prime and cannot impact any team that way.

Berry is going to be a great Safety, but the Chiefs went into 2010 off season 0 for 3 in three areas and are now entering the 2010 season still 0 for 3 in the following three areas:

1. On Offense they can't protect the passer -- at least not well enough for Cassel to take a 5 step drop on passing plays.
2. Can't stop the run on Defense.
3. Can't rush the passer on Defense.

Berry will help with pass defense to a degree, but overall regarding the 3 areas I listed above, Berry will have no more impact than a fart from a beaver in a tree. The most critical area is protecting the passer & with that Russell Okung has to be the pick. Branden Albert is a Guard playing out of position & it's not working.

turner_robert
08-26-2010, 03:28 AM
to early to decide on either draft class. and if any team had a crystal ball on who would perform and who would be injury free they would be a sb team year in and out.the knocking of eric berry is is way to pre mature. he is going to be a beast. did you watch the tampa bay game where he shut the run down.he will be a pro bowl player he is a young kid who gets it.does nothing but study film and has all of the talent in the world.strives to be a great player not mediocre player very solid pick by the chiefs.i dont care how much he is paid as long as he performs and he will

I'm gladyou said what you did because I picked Brian Orakpo as my draft choice 2009 and I picked Russell Okung and/or Trent Williams which ever came first. This is why people have scouts, this is why we watch film this is why we have the draft to make good players into great players. Eric Berry is not worth more then Troy, and Ed regardless of how good he is in college PERIOD. Its to soon to talk about 2008 and 2009 draft really because if your a 1st rounder let alone a top 5 draft pick your going to start and better make a difference and so far NONE have made any difference.

turner_robert
08-26-2010, 03:32 AM
It's far to early to talk about either draft. I was not 100% behind the pick of Berry at the time. But you have to give the rookies this year at least a chance to play one Real NFL down before you can start saying that the draft was a waste or not.

I totally agree and I'm not saying Eric Berry wont be a Pro Bowler but even if he is he will not change the game even if he had 1 int every other game it wouldn't make a difference thats probable why teams dont draft S that high. It was a very bad draft.

brish
08-26-2010, 03:48 AM
I totally agree and I'm not saying Eric Berry wont be a Pro Bowler but even if he is he will not change the game even if he had 1 int every other game it wouldn't make a difference thats probable why teams dont draft S that high. It was a very bad draft.

Must be high.. This is looking to be one of the best drafts in years..
Your post is pretty pointless since half those choices haven't had a chance to produce yet.
To make things worse, you talk about Curry who was underwhelming his rookie season, and Cushing who is facing a suspension.

Carl Pettersen drafted some good players, but he is also partly responsible for the state of the team right now.
He completely failed to maintain the offensive line, which was the bread and butter of this team for so many years.
Besides he had plenty of busted picks aswell, and he traded away some pretty darn good players.

:ninerssuck:

AussieChiefsFan
08-26-2010, 03:55 AM

1. Brian Orakpo
2. Aaron Curry
3. Brian Cushing

1.Russell Okung
2. Rolando McClain
3. Sean Weatherspoon

There were multiple good choices in this years draft and safety was in huge need of a great starter.

Coach
08-26-2010, 08:34 AM
It was diffiicult to trade down because of the money demands associated with a Top 5 pick. Once the new CBA is completed and a rookie pay scale is put into place, then those top picks will be very valuable once again.
If our draft picks this year are as poor as you believe, then we will again have a top 5 pick and it will be much easier to trade down.

I think this year's class is the best draft class I've seen for the Chiefs in recent history. I think the Chiefs used a "Best Player Available" strategy this year vs. "Position of need" strategy that they used last year.
We got some serious playmakers in the draft this year.

I think we added a lot of talent with the draft. What we didn't do is fill holes through free agency. I think that was partly due to the unknowns around the CBA.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 09:31 AM
It was diffiicult to trade down because of the money demands associated with a Top 5 pick. Once the new CBA is completed and a rookie pay scale is put into place, then those top picks will be very valuable once again.
If our draft picks this year are as poor as you believe, then we will again have a top 5 pick and it will be much easier to trade down.

I think this year's class is the best draft class I've seen for the Chiefs in recent history. I think the Chiefs used a "Best Player Available" strategy this year vs. "Position of need" strategy that they used last year.
We got some serious playmakers in the draft this year.

I think we added a lot of talent with the draft. What we didn't do is fill holes through free agency. I think that was partly due to the unknowns around the CBA.
THIS^^^^^
I am one who believes the "draft the best player available" theory is the route MOST teams with a top 5-7 pick should use. When your team is bad enough to warrant being in that position, it is clear that you have many glaring needs at multiple positions. I believe this is the route the Chiefs took this year. I also am a fan of teams that are in this position filling many of their needs through FA. Not that this is going to make the team 180 degrees better but your several years away from competing so a combination of best players in the draft regardless of position and FA in my mind is the best way to go.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 10:24 AM
There were multiple good choices in this years draft and safety was in huge need of a great starter.

If anything we needed someone to stop the run or rush the passer and that is not what a safety does. Our rush defense was rated 31 out of 32 teams last year, or SECOND to LAST! Our offensive line was ranked 27. Our pass rushing also ranked 31 or second to last.Our pass defense was 22 which is bad, but a huge leap above our rush defense, pass rushing, and O-line. So our biggest need was stopping the run tied with pass rushing, O-line, and then our secondary. Know what your talking about before you throw out stupid claims that we had a huge need at safety.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I'll bite with the 2009 draft. I'm super disappointed with Jackson right now, especially considering he's been demoted (whether it's permanent we'll find out, but Gilberry looks better). Pairing Orakpo with Hali would be a scary thought or maybe Raji could have offered that big nose tackle that we so desperately need. Aaron Curry has played below expectations and Cushing wasn't considered an option, besides he's a cheater. In the end though, hindsight is 20/20. Too bad the Chiefs don't fork out cash for amateur evaluations after the fact.

With the 2010 draft, you shouldn't much much, if anything to complain about right now. The season is early but Berry is playing to expectations and maybe more. I haven't looked into McClain, but Weatherspoon isn't playing to the level that Berry is. Also, the chances of receiving decent compensation for high draft picks at this point is pretty slim, a second rounder would never have happened. The second rounders we have are playing like future superstars, which is more than most teams can say, and just about every other draft pick is showing some sort of promise unlike last years class with guys like Brown and O'Connel.

Orakpo and Hali=20+ sacks a year

70 chiefsfan70
08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I am much more excited about this draft than the last several.......

I see the Berry pick being a wise pick, meaning less likely to get burned. We were paying the big dollars to someone, and feel he was the safest choice, I know the OL needed help, and they did get it in a round about way, we should have more (quick) options with the McCluster pick, I liked the Arenas pick as well, Our special teams was horrible last year and he will makes a huge difference this year. I didnt like loosing a pick for the TE, however He will be a good one if he stays healthy, Overall the best draft by far in years, JMO. GO CHIEFS We will make the playoffs this year.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I am much more excited about this draft than the last several.......

I see the Berry pick being a wise pick, meaning less likely to get burned. We were paying the big dollars to someone, and feel he was the safest choice, I know the OL needed help, and they did get it in a round about way, we should have more (quick) options with the McCluster pick, I liked the Arenas pick as well, Our special teams was horrible last year and he will makes a huge difference this year. I didnt like loosing a pick for the TE, however He will be a good one if he stays healthy, Overall the best draft by far in years, JMO. GO CHIEFS We will make the playoffs this year.

I'm sure your right Berry will have 15 sacks, 22 interceptions, and single handily stop the run. Plus who needs a line just give Berry the ball he will just levitate over the field like David Blaine or if he's feeling lazy he can just teleport into the endzone. It was a genius pick.:pointlaugh:

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
If anything we needed someone to stop the run or rush the passer and that is not what a safety does. Our rush defense was rated 31 out of 32 teams last year, or SECOND to LAST! Our offensive line was ranked 27. Our pass rushing also ranked 31 or second to last.Our pass defense was 22 which is bad, but a huge leap above our rush defense, pass rushing, and O-line. So our biggest need was stopping the run tied with pass rushing, O-line, and then our secondary. Know what your talking about before you throw out stupid claims that we had a huge need at safety.
I would suggest you "know" who you are directing your posts to! Aussie is a 14 year old kid I believe who just likes the Chiefs and wants to fit in. Say what you want to most but when it comes to insulting someone, make sure you know who your talking to!!!!!!!

buffman316
08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
The 2010 draft could potentially be one of the best drafts in team history. People that live in the past just for something to complain about are strange to me. Especially people who think we are worse off without Carl Peterson. Strange.:bash:

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 10:48 AM
THIS^^^^^
I am one who believes the "draft the best player available" theory is the route MOST teams with a top 5-7 pick should use. When your team is bad enough to warrant being in that position, it is clear that you have many glaring needs at multiple positions. I believe this is the route the Chiefs took this year. I also am a fan of teams that are in this position filling many of their needs through FA. Not that this is going to make the team 180 degrees better but your several years away from competing so a combination of best players in the draft regardless of position and FA in my mind is the best way to go.

Getting the best player available is stupid especially if we don't have a need at that position. So next year when we finish in the top 8 again don't be surprised when we pick up a long snapper with our 7th pick overall. :whipping1:

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 10:54 AM
The 2010 draft could potentially be one of the best drafts in team history. People that live in the past just for something to complain about are strange to me. Especially people who think we are worse off without Carl Peterson. Strange.:bash:

If you don't look at the past how are you supposed to evaluate and improve? "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."George Santayana

honda522
08-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Lets see here...Curry has been injuries and not done much....Cushing is suspended for violating policys...

Orakpo is the only man on this list there that isn't having problems and even he doesn't get his name called much.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Lets see here...Curry has been injuries and not done much....Cushing is suspended for violating policys...

Orakpo is the only man on this list there that isn't having problems and even he doesn't get his name called much.

Yeah your right man Orakpo sucks he only had 50 tackles, 11 interceptions, 2 deflected passes, and 1 forced fumble his rookie season what a sorry sack glad we passed on that piece of S!

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Getting the best player available is stupid especially if we don't have a need at that position. So next year when we finish in the top 8 again don't be surprised when we pick up a long snapper with our 7th pick overall. :whipping1:
I wish we lived closer to each other.....

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I would suggest you "know" who you are directing your posts to! Aussie is a 14 year old kid I believe who just likes the Chiefs and wants to fit in. Say what you want to most but when it comes to insulting someone, make sure you know who your talking to!!!!!!!

He isn't trying to fit in he does fit in and I treat him as if he were a man. I don't play cate someone because they are younger he's old enough to know better.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I wish we lived closer to each other.....
:imagestore (13):no thanks man I'm not into men. I'm sure there are plenty of gays in AZ.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
He isn't trying to fit in he does fit in and I treat him as if he were a man. I don't play cate someone because they are younger he's old enough to know better.
Please somebody ban me before this guy becomes a permanent relic......

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Please somebody ban me before this guy becomes a permanent relic......

Maybe you should just get a job and some self esteem instead of threatening to fight people over the internet and trying to sell some crappy herbal supplements.

brdempsey69
08-26-2010, 11:54 AM
I do agree that the Chiefs got some very good football players in the 2010 draft. But, they were luxury picks & the Chiefs were drafting as though they were coming off a 12-4 season, instead of a team that came off a 4-12 season. The 3 areas of need that I mentioned in my earlier post did not get addressed and it could mean a top 5 pick in next years draft.

bigluke17
08-26-2010, 11:59 AM

1. Brian Orakpo
2. Aaron Curry
3. Brian Cushing

1.Russell Okung
2. Rolando McClain
3. Sean Weatherspoon

My thoughts are we've had an excellent draft this year and every move we made will help the team this year, eric berry is a beast, dexter is a freak of nature and to say that we had a stupid draft sir i think your stupid.......

Canada
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
This thread suKCs.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Maybe you should just get a job and some self esteem instead of threatening to fight people over the internet and trying to sell some crappy herbal supplements.
Oh man I needed a good laugh this morning bud! Those "herbal supplements" as you call it, which is wrong, make me more money in a month than you make in a year! Unless of course your now going to tell me your a rocket scientist and the head of NASA and still, it may be close. Love it keep em comin. Head off to work now while I work from here at the beach house in SD

bigluke17
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
AND carl petterson had no idea what he was doing, he was the worst NFL Gm in the history of the game, besides Al Davis

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't know about the worst but I agree, Peterson certainly wore out his welcome here after 20 years! I was definetely on the fire Peterson bandwagon.

Canada
08-26-2010, 12:14 PM
I had some herbal supllement this morning!! And my "salesman" has tons of money!!:D

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I had some herbal supllement this morning!! And my "salesman" has tons of money!!:D
Nice!:D

bwilliams
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
AND carl petterson had no idea what he was doing, he was the worst NFL Gm in the history of the game, besides Al Davis

Peterson did good in the beginning. He just couldn't adapt to the salary cap era. And hiring Herm was a colossal blunder.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Peterson did good in the beginning. He just couldn't adapt to the salary cap era. And hiring Herm was a colossal blunder.
Actually agree with this.

Canada
08-26-2010, 12:29 PM

I agree Aussie, this guy would be crying for Berry every time someone went deep on us.

Best available at a position of need. Just because it does not conform to you logic does not make it stupid.

First of all....:lol:...you can't ""play cate". Its not a game, its placate.

He's old enough to know better than what? He posted his opinion that he obviously loves quite a bit and he is met by some ignorant douche bag that thinks he knows it all. Shoulda known better...shut the fuk up for a while.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Oh man I needed a good laugh this morning bud! Those "herbal supplements" as you call it, which is wrong, make me more money in a month than you make in a year! Unless of course your now going to tell me your a rocket scientist and the head of NASA and still, it may be close. Love it keep em comin. Head off to work now while I work from here at the beach house in SD

I'm sure you got the nicest trailer in the park. Making so much money you can almost afford to get your car out of the tow lot. I think your a amateur BS'er trying to go pro these lies might work on kids, but not grown people that have heard this crap before. I'll be up front I am 26 and still working on my degree and I don't make a load of cash I make right around 35K a year if you made that in a month you would be pulling in almost half a mill, people that make that kind of money don't get angry and try to fight people over the internet. That's what losers that sit at home all day fondling themselves in their studio apartment do, because they have nothing to look forward to during the day.

Canada
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm sure you got the nicest trailer in the park. Making so much money you can almost afford to get your car out of the tow lot. I think your a amateur BS'er trying to go pro these lies might work on kids, but not grown people that have heard this crap before. I'll be up front I am 26 and still working on my degree and I don't make a load of cash I make right around 35K a year if you made that in a month you would be pulling in almost half a mill, people that make that kind of money don't get angry and try to fight people over the internet. That's what losers that sit at home all day fondling themselves in their studio apartment do, because they have nothing to look forward to during the day.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I agree Aussie, this guy would be crying for Berry every time someone went deep on us.

Best available at a position of need. Just because it does not conform to you logic does not make it stupid.

He's old enough to know better than what? He posted his opinion that he obviously loves quite a bit and he is met by some ignorant douche bag that thinks he knows it all. Shoulda known better...shut the fuk up for a while.

He's old enough to know better then to make stupid claims. I love how every retard on this site never backs S up they just call you a name like they are tough. I don't give a fuk if your a tough guy great! I gave actual numbers, things you can definitively and mathematically use a comparison. You throw around a few curse words on the internet and just make an *** out of yourself. If you wanna argue then tell me why I'm wrong. I will treat everyone on this site the same regardless, and I should not be liable to censor my self because your young.

figcrostic
08-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

I didn't threaten to fight anyone.

Chiefster
08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Another one that has run it's course.

Chiefster
08-26-2010, 12:55 PM

He's old enough to know better then to make stupid claims. I love how every retard on this site never backs S up they just call you a name like they are tough. I don't give a fuk if your a tough guy great! I gave actual numbers, things you can definitively and mathematically use a comparison. You throw around a few curse words on the internet and just make an *** out of yourself. If you wanna argue then tell me why I'm wrong. I will treat everyone on this site the same regardless, and I should not be liable to censor my self because your young.

...This is why threads get closed. This is also why we have rules and board moderators!